Should ASL be Banned from Deaf Ed programs?

Should ASL be banned from Deaf Ed?

• Yes

Votes: 5 8.3%
  • No

Votes: 53 88.3%
  • Not sure

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • Nuetral

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Only if the ASL or sign languages is/are banned, I don't want my future kids to go in the "go back to oral system" crappy schools. I am just go for homeschool instead. :roll:

I voted NO. Deaf students deserve both spoken and sign languages, my opinion...

I agree with you. I voted No!

Only if the ASL or sign languages is/are banned, I don't want my future kids to go in the "go back to oral system" crappy schools. I am just go for homeschool instead. :roll:

I voted NO. Deaf students deserve both spoken and sign languages, my opinion...

Yes. Booooo @ oral and speech theraphy

I vote no.

The reason I vote no because I do have experinces btwn oral only and SEE...
I feel deaf children should keep learning ASL (and SEE if it is still around...) because think of it...some cases, like me for one, I was happy that I was taught oral, but one problem is when my hearing battery died, I couldn't understand read lipery at all, I must hear to read lips, so with sign language do help. Your eyes needs a break from time to time, ASL will relax you more and to enjoy any education while you can. Oral or speech theapy is great for other things for like outside life...Sign language do help you speak and learn things quickly no matter what so I vote no and they still take Oral Course as another education like SEX or Driver's courses in school like some people do take ASL Courses...

I dont think that ASL is to be blamed for poor literacy. I think it is the school system itself that sets up for that. Some hearing teachers automatically assume that Deaf people can't learn English, so they resign themselves to bad methods teaching English, especially the oral approach. Imagine yourself being placed in a Chinese classroom and not being able to use English at all to learn Chinese. That would be a toughie.

I have learned German, and also other languages by using English as a tool or rather as a reference to compare to. Now I become fluent in German, and have noticed that my English has improved because I am able to understand how the German grammar and syntax works. Then I am able to apply that back to English and make comparisons.

We do not have ASL courses in our schools, and I think we should! Even for deaf students. If we are able to learn about the grammar and rules for our own language, and then make comparisons with English, then I think it would be tremendous help for making the bridge between ASL, English and literacy. I have noticed that some Deaf people have very poor literacy skills in English, but have excellent literacy skills in ASL. And also vice versa.

Of course, this one method would probably not be "one size fits all" approach. We need to make sure we take in our students' learning styles in account and tailor our lessons to fit their needs. It's a problem in deaf schools, where so many different learning styles exist in one classroom. I take my hat off to teachers who undertake these formidable challenges. Hats off!

I am going to be brief here and that applies for the aussie people as well. I voted 'no flippin' way' and that ASL and AUSLAN must be madandory to make sure both worlds are communicated within each other. Why with the ban? It is just pointless.

Just IMHO

Agreed, heck hell no. While they are still given speech therapy, so it not a problem. But ban...? Pointless. It's an education to us.

I voted no.

ASL is the primary communication skills. Teachers and parents need to reinforce proper grammar along with ASL. I have seen many deafs use ASL and have better grammar than a lot of hearing people.
If it's ASL with proper grammar, then it's no longer "ASL".

Yes. Booooo @ oral and speech theraphy

I voted no and even though I hated speech therapy when I was a teen, without it, I would not have the English skills that I have right now. I had intense tutoring in public schools before transferring to a deaf school and finding the level of education to be lacking there.

If it's ASL with proper grammar, then it's no longer "ASL".
Good point. Sign with English grammar is SEE. Sign with proper ASL grammar is ASL.

ASL has a proper grammatical structure specific to that language, and English has a proper grammatical structure specific to that language.

Shel90, we do notice that it's sufficiently evidence that ASL is widely accepted for the Deaf Ed. Satisfied enough? I hope.
----------------------

Yet many ASL supporters realized that we really need to empower the deaf rights on ASL especially reaching majority of hearing parents of deaf children to stress ASL overpowering over AGBAD esp audiologists and doctors, etc.

Hope that DBC and some advocates are doing some great work underway to ensure that the resources are given available for them. I just hope that they improve their marketing approach thus expanding more resources to prove especially. I still question their deafhood approach and think that it should be removed but what ca we do? Not a big deal, however.

Like we mentioned once before that we still need to make sure that most states to pass such a new law, the one passed in California last summer... Florida already passed one back in '90s... few states are considering underway, I think. It's to force the audiologists and such professionals to provide all resouces including ASL for the hearing parents.

Sure enough, it's in the beginning part but make sure ASL is not being oppressed and/or overlooked.

Also mainstream schools to provide BiBi programs, too.

To think how advantageous we have with the Internet technology available to effectively empower ASL... therefore there is no time for us to waste and seize the opportunity.

ASL ASL ASL for the :deaf:!!

Shel90, we do notice that it's sufficiently evidence that ASL is widely accepted for the Deaf Ed. Satisfied enough? I hope.
----------------------

Yet many ASL supporters realized that we really need to empower the deaf rights on ASL especially reaching majority of hearing parents of deaf children to stress ASL overpowering over AGBAD esp audiologists and doctors, etc.

Hope that DBC and some advocates are doing some great work underway to ensure that the resources are given available for them. I just hope that they improve their marketing approach thus expanding more resources to prove especially. I still question their deafhood approach and think that it should be removed but what ca we do? Not a big deal, however.

Like we mentioned once before that we still need to make sure that most states to pass such a new law, the one passed in California last summer... Florida already passed one back in '90s... few states are considering underway, I think. It's to force the audiologists and such professionals to provide all resouces including ASL for the hearing parents.

Sure enough, it's in the beginning part but make sure ASL is not being oppressed and/or overlooked.

Also mainstream schools to provide BiBi programs, too.

To think how advantageous we have with the Internet technology available to effectively empower ASL... therefore there is no time for us to waste and seize the opportunity.

ASL ASL ASL for the :deaf:!!

:gpost:

I voted NO!!! period...

ASL rocks :D

Could you be more specific with what you mean by "Deaf Ed Program"?

It seems that I am getting the feeling that ASL is blamed for a lot of literacy problems but nobody has really said it right out...should ASL be banned from all Deaf ed programs?

U dont have to post here..just vote.

I just see a lot of negativity against ASL as being the root of literacy problems so I was curious.

For me, I think ASL really enchances literacy development and higher thinking skills in deaf children.
Where are people saying ASL is the root of literacy problems? Have not studies shown that ASL doesn't negatively impact language acquisition. And even if there are some that don't agree with it, why would you pull it out of any program as long as there are some kids that benefit from it? What about the kids born profoundly deaf? What about all of the success stories? Who has the right to deny that opportunity? Even if your suspicions are correct, I don't think that the opinions of some people should matter when there is proven success for some kids. I don't believe ASL is going anywhere. There will always be kids that will benefit from it and it has a long history and is and will always be part of deaf culture............ imho

Oralist and CI supporters are usually the groups who are against ASL being taught to deaf children.

I say hell with them and burn them to the stake!
I'm a CI supporter that voted no. Stop Whining :laugh2:

I think we know who voted 'yes' but can't call out due to alldeaf's policy of calling out members. Already got a warning from mod :roll:

Ditto... no name calling here.

I voted No.

Shel90 - why not consider rephrase the questions. Should ASL be primary language and English as secondary Language in Deaf Education? To me they co-exist with one another in USA.

Don't forget, ASL have not had a official ASL class for deaf. Its mainly acquisition. Hearing often take the class but not deaf. Very few deaf take the class.

Where are people saying ASL is the root of literacy problems? Have not studies shown that ASL doesn't negatively impact language acquisition. And even if there are some that don't agree with it, why would you pull it out of any program as long as there are some kids that benefit from it? What about the kids born profoundly deaf? What about all of the success stories? Who has the right to deny that opportunity? Even if your suspicions are correct, I don't think that the opinions of some people should matter when there is proven success for some kids. I don't believe ASL is going anywhere. There will always be kids that will benefit from it and it has a long history and is and will always be part of deaf culture............ imho

Look at the thread, "Should spoken language or ASL be taught first?" Someone mentioned it. People have said it out IRL too.

The problem is how do we know which kid will be successful with which approach? That's the "wait and see" approach in which many kids end up falling behind cuz they were tried out all the other approaches before resorting to ASL and that is not fair to the kids.

I dont think that ASL is to be blamed for poor literacy. I think it is the school system itself that sets up for that. Some hearing teachers automatically assume that Deaf people can't learn English, so they resign themselves to bad methods teaching English, especially the oral approach. Imagine yourself being placed in a Chinese classroom and not being able to use English at all to learn Chinese. That would be a toughie.

I have learned German, and also other languages by using English as a tool or rather as a reference to compare to. Now I become fluent in German, and have noticed that my English has improved because I am able to understand how the German grammar and syntax works. Then I am able to apply that back to English and make comparisons.

We do not have ASL courses in our schools, and I think we should! Even for deaf students. If we are able to learn about the grammar and rules for our own language, and then make comparisons with English, then I think it would be tremendous help for making the bridge between ASL, English and literacy. I have noticed that some Deaf people have very poor literacy skills in English, but have excellent literacy skills in ASL. And also vice versa.

Of course, this one method would probably not be "one size fits all" approach. We need to make sure we take in our students' learning styles in account and tailor our lessons to fit their needs. It's a problem in deaf schools, where so many different learning styles exist in one classroom. I take my hat off to teachers who undertake these formidable challenges. Hats off!

Thanks...

the use of ASL for instruction is not a teaching style. It is the shared language of instruction so the kids can learn the concepts of the curriculm and of course in each classroom, different teaching styles/strategies MUST be employed to meet each child's learning needs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back