Should ASL be Banned from Deaf Ed programs?

Should ASL be banned from Deaf Ed?

• Yes

Votes: 5 8.3%
  • No

Votes: 53 88.3%
  • Not sure

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • Nuetral

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
And when we find one approach that wasnt successful for the child, u know what happens? The child ends up with language delays. Curious, do u find that acceptable?

You know what IEP means? it means an "Individualized Education Program" It gives an opportunity for teachers, parents, school administrators to discuss the child's needs, and if the teacher finds that the child isn't doing well at this approach, then the parents will have to find a different approach to meet the needs of the child. You think hearing children don't have language delays? Sure they do.

By using an individual approach, we would have to hire one teacher for every deaf child and we know that is not relistic. We know that ASL is 100% accessible to deaf children and we know that English is a must so presto! The BiBi approach!

Then add individual approaches such as oral skills development and cued speech if the child could benefit more from these.

You believe that ASL and English is a must. What about oral skills? Do you believe that it is a must?

If oral skills are not a must, then I 100% totally understand your view.

You know what IEP means? it means an "Individualized Education Program" It gives an opportunity for teachers, parents, school administrators to discuss the child's needs, and if the teacher finds that the child isn't doing well at this approach, then the parents will have to find a different approach to meet the needs of the child. You think hearing children don't have language delays? Sure they do.

Cheri, as a teacher, I know what an IEP is.

Problem is with so many teachers who are not certified in Deaf ed dont know how to identify and address the problems deaf children in the mainstreamed setting and the parents usually rely on the words of the educators and u know what happens? I have seen that too often when I worked at TC or oral programs..the educators blamed it on the deaf's child attention problems. U know why they have attention problems in the classroom? They dont have full access to what's happening around them so the parents are led to believe that the child has congnitive processing disorders when it couldnt be further from the truth. I have see that happen again and again and again and again. When are we going to put a stop to it?

Hearing chidlren with language delays are usually due to congitive processing disorders. That's comparing apples to oranges.

If I were to put in a classroom full of blind children.. I wouldnt know where to start. That's why there are different teaching certifications specializing in different areas of education. My degrees and certification are both in special education and Deaf elementary education and that's the field of work I am trained and experienced in.

Some deaf children have been successful using these methods; Every approach has it's pro, con, advantage and disadvantage. There is no method can guarantee the success for every individual. Those programs been around for a long time, longer than bi bi, and I believe bi bi will have it's pro, con, advantage, and disadvantage in the future if not already. :)

Cheri,

Some deaf children having success still does not explain why, after 30 years of use, deaf literacy scores have not improved. That is what I am asking you to explain. Why, if TC is so successful, are deaf literacy rates still at an all time low. If it was as successful as you claim, the last 30 years should have shown a steady and measurable increase in the literacy rates of deaf students overall. We have not seen that. In fact, we have seen declines. So why? If TC addresses the needs of the deaf student so well, why are we not seeing the increases in literacy scores that would support that?

You believe that ASL and English is a must. What about oral skills? Do you believe that it is a must?

If oral skills are not a must, then I 100% totally understand your view.

"Not a must"..I wouldnt say that...I just know that there will always be some deaf children who will not be able to develop oral skills and some who will but important they both have equal access. I know that it is a nice and helpful skills to have for many deaf people.

I focus more on the receptive end of language...even having good oral skills doesnt mean that the deaf child has equal access to communication, information, and language like their hearing counterparts too.

Oral skills a MUST?...to answer that..it is a good skill to have but literacy skills are a MUST to me. That's my belief system.

Well.......

You been busy! :lol:

Before I go furthur with some answer, I need to know if this pertains to mainstread students or deaf residential students, home-schooled or in just in general terms?

Home schooled would be exempt, because of extraneous varibles in the environment. I'm talking about mainstreamed, day school, self contained programs, and residential programs that use TC.

How is that attacking a member? I don't have to listen to this, If you want to debate then debate if you are just here to start a war, I'm not interested. :roll:

Uh, calling someone names isn't an attack?

Hearing chidlren with language delays are usually due to congitive processing disorders. That's comparing apples to oranges.

Not only those who have disorders, and also why do you think they provide speech at a public school? Hearing children are not perfect.

Mod's Note:

Thread's closed as of now to cool things down. I think you guys know why it needs to be stopped.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back