Shooting at Ft Hood; 7 dead, 20+wounded

Status
Not open for further replies.
Army chaplain leads prayer for Fort Hood suspect
Army chaplain leads prayer for Fort Hood suspect - Yahoo! News

FORT HOOD, Texas – Soldiers and others are attending church services at Fort Hood, Texas, and in neighboring Killeen to pray for the man authorities say went on a shooting spree and to honor the victims.

An Army chaplain exhorted worshippers to pray for meaning in the worst massacre on a military facility in the United States.

Col. Frank Jackson expressed frustration Sunday as members of the sprawling Army post "search for motive, search for meaning, search for something, someone to blame."

He urged the congregation to "focus on things we know."

Jackson asked the approximately 120 people gathered in the post chapel to pray for the 13 dead and 29 wounded in Thursday's attack.

He also asked them to pray for suspected shooter Maj. Nidal Malik Hasan and his family "as they find themselves in a position that no person ever desires to be."

People of both faiths are suffering as a result of this tragedy. I have compassion for all of the people involved, including the perpetrator's family.

Any kind of fundamentalism that deems a group of people "the other" harms society. We see it over and over again, from the crusades and the Spanish Inquisition to the FLDS criminal trials. No one religion has a monopoly on creating religious extremists.

Remember Columbine? No one has the answers about why the teen boys executed such a horrific attack. We are unlikely to find out what motivated this person either. This is complicated and we can't boil it down to one factor. That's what makes it so frightening and tragic.

Last edited by a moderator:
if you ask me, I think he wanted to stop the unit from going overseas. He always felt the war was a war against Islam.

So Sad!! :( Prayers for those victim's families!

We are all connected as human beings in this world. For whatever reason, some people do not feel connected to other people and can perpetrate horrible crimes. This person had interpersonal problems and had no intimate relationships. Typical profile of a male mass murderer. Instead of looking back in hindsight, why didn't someone intervene earlier? Didn't someone notice some kind of attachment problem while this person was a child? His supervisors in his psych fellowship recognized problems. Why wasn't something done then? If we look back, we can probably see a number of failures. We say that it fell though the cracks, but we as a society are the people who fail to intervene.

we believe in death penalty

Speak for yourself. I don't believe in the death penalty. As an attorney, I consider the death penalty a huge waste of resources. It takes about 20 years of appeals to execute someone. Lock them up for good and spend the resources on youth and societal problems. If there is a mistake, you can let them out. Lots of incarcerated people are now being release because of DNA evidence. It's not a perfect system.

he also attended to Virginia Tech. I wonder they wanted to report his parents to make sure he get the care he needs. but not sure. Privacy issues. We all love privacy from our parents so it is hard to get the care we need in our college years.

You can't force people to be instituted either...unless you like it someone force you to go.

Speak for yourself. I don't believe in the death penalty. As an attorney, I consider the death penalty a huge waste of resources. It takes about 20 years of appeals to execute someone. Lock them up for good and spend the resources on youth and societal problems. If there is a mistake, you can let them out. Lots of incarcerated people are now being release because of DNA evidence. It's not a perfect system.

yeah, lock good people up for life too. I think they rather die. I don't understand this whole concept that locking people up for life is harsher than dealth penalty. wouldn't it be harsh on the innocent as well

beside, I believe there should be at least two witnesses plus evidences before someone should be put to death penalty.

Thanks! I read it all. I think it has to do with wars in Iraq and Afgh. that ticked him off. He feels that he is a Muslim first and second American. To me, it doesn't make sense when he said "Allahu Akbar" before shooting. I mean, what does this have to do with "Allahu Akbar" when he shot them ? I don't understand what it had to do with his shootin'. I think he has psychiatric problem. He wasn't supposed to be psychiatrist in the first place IF, he is not fitted... IMO, because look at what happened to him when he shot other troops ? It doesn't make any sense to me. It's kinda of whack.

And, second of all... I don't like what I read about Obama's statement. I just feel not right about him, because I can feel that he was tryin' to defend this man. I am just WONDERIN' what IF, this man is white ... will he say the same thing about him ? Will he defend him also ? Gee, I am havin' a hard time to explain or put some words in because, I don't know what's right for me to say if, I should say Christian or Muslim that Obama would defend to avoid misunderstandin' or jumpin' to conclusion ? I don't want people to call me racist or religious basher. It is hard for me to say it. I just want to explain what my view tells me. It also involved in my opinions as well.

I think Muslims shouldn't join military, because it could afflict others - IMO.

I think can understand the "muslim first American second"

I mean, Even I put my faith in God first then my faith in my country second.

We are all connected as human beings in this world. For whatever reason, some people do not feel connected to other people and can perpetrate horrible crimes. This person had interpersonal problems and had no intimate relationships. Typical profile of a male mass murderer. Instead of looking back in hindsight, why didn't someone intervene earlier? Didn't someone notice some kind of attachment problem while this person was a child? His supervisors in his psych fellowship recognized problems. Why wasn't something done then? If we look back, we can probably see a number of failures. We say that it fell though the cracks, but we as a society are the people who fail to intervene.
He did get "counseling" while he was an intern at Walter Reed. We don't know what kind or how much.

"While an intern at Walter Reed, Hasan had some "difficulties" that required counseling and extra supervision, said Dr. Thomas Grieger, who was the training director at the time.

Grieger said privacy laws prevented him from going into details but noted that the problems had to do with Hasan's interactions with patients. He recalled Hasan as a "mostly very quiet" person who never spoke ill of the military or his country."

I don't believe "we as a society" are responsible for Hasan's actions.

We are not responsible for the perpetrator's actions but we do have a duty to make society safe so that people aren't victimized by others.

Really, this man should had went through the proper channels if he had so much conflicts over his own morals regarding this issue.

Many people had problems with the Iraq War, many people had problems going to war against another ethnic group because of their own... and they all went through the proper channel. Just as there are many muslims against the wars in the Middle East and Central Asia,t here are just as many that are FOR the wars because they don't agree with the extremists.

I means... when the whole NATO operation happened in the Balkans, should we had excluded Slavs? When we went to Somalia, should African descedents should had been excluded? No, of course not. There were people who were against being deployed-- however excluding people will put us back in the days where we used to intern Japanese and Germans.

We are not responsible for the perpetrator's actions but we do have a duty to make society safe so that people aren't victimized by others.
What do you think the Army should have done to prevent Hasan's attack?

This is where political correctness has taken us. The guy should have been removed beforehand.
Actually I do beleive in death sentence fast track but only for those who are proven without a doubt and deserving.

Reba, I don't necessarily think that it had to be the army. There were many points at which this person could have been identified.

Teachers and other parents can pick out the kids that are in trouble. There's one kind at my son's school who is serious trouble and it started by 1st grade. This kid locked another kid in a shed at tennis camp. Not normal behavior. What do we do with kids like this? Keep pushing them along in the system until they become troubled adults? Basically, that's what happens now.

I do hope that the armed services increase security. There was no MP at the location of the shootings. I understand that only the MPs on the base are allowed to carry weapons. I hope that MPs become a standard security feature all over the base.

Reba, I don't necessarily think that it had to be the army. There were many points at which this person could have been identified.

Teachers and other parents can pick out the kids that are in trouble. There's one kind at my son's school who is serious trouble and it started by 1st grade. This kid locked another kid in a shed at tennis camp. Not normal behavior. What do we do with kids like this? Keep pushing them along in the system until they become troubled adults? Basically, that's what happens now.
I haven't yet read anything that indicated Hasan had a troubled childhood.

I do hope that the armed services increase security. There was no MP at the location of the shootings. I understand that only the MPs on the base are allowed to carry weapons. I hope that MPs become a standard security feature all over the base.
Most (not all) MP's are assigned to overseas duties. Stateside security is largely contracted out to civilian police. MP's and civilian police officers can carry weapons. Positioning MP's all over a large base stretches thin their resources. You can't imagine the manpower that would entail.

Bases have offices, training centers, housing areas, recreation areas, bowling alleys, movie theaters, swimming pools, exchanges, convenience stores, commissaries, clinics, hospitals, motor pools, fire stations, chapels, schools, etc. They are small towns.

Some areas within a base have more security, in layers. But the public areas are just that--open to the public.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back