Shooting at Ft Hood; 7 dead, 20+wounded

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sgr Kimberely is truly a hero!

One of the shooting witnesses said that Hasan stood on a table, yelled, "Allah akbar", then started shooting down into the cubicles where soldiers were sitting. At first, she thought it was a terrorism exercise until a second later the person standing next to her was shot dead.

I'm having a hard time reconciling an image of a caring psychiatrist with that of a mass murderer. However, it's disturbing to hear that his posts were quite radical and that he had problems with his patients.. I think a fuller picture will emerge as this story develops.
Psychiatrists can have mental health and "wrong thinking" issues. Hasan should have taken heed to "physician, heal thyself."

I am extremely disgusted. I want him to be put to death and I also think Muslims should be banned from military.

I'm deeply disturbed by that statement.

So...I read this article.

NYT: Suspect ?mortified? about deployment - The New York Times- msnbc.com

He was harassed by the soldiers due to the fact that he is a Muslim and that he didnt want to go to Iraq. He is such a fucking coward. He was offended by ppl considering bad things abt him as a muslim, and yet, he went to show a perfect example what many muslims do. expressing their very anger as they go violent on other people. So yeah, I guess he was kind of a terrorist in a way. :roll:

He didnt want to go to Iraq, then don't fucking join the army, simple? He joined there by HIS OWN choice and it was against his parents' wishes. But hell, he been in the army for years and then all of a sudden he whine that he dont want to go to Iraq god that is pathetic. killing everyone isn't the answer to stop from going to Iraq so he obviously made things alot worse.

That asshole can go fuck himself in hell for all I care. All 13 lives were lost and 30 were wounded over his temper of going to Iraq. What a fucking moron...not doing his duty for our country.

“His parents didn’t want him to go into the military,” Mr. Hasan said. “He said, ‘No, I was born and raised here, I’m going to do my duty to the country.’ ”

EPIC FAIL!

He betrayed our country instead.

betraying his country? yes.
asshole? yes
coward? let's not call him that. Just because a person signed up for army doesn't mean he is fearless robot. Every soldier is scared shitless of being sent to Iraq, of course. It is too bad that he chose to kill people to avoid being sent to Iraq.

One of the shooting witnesses said that Hasan stood on a table, yelled, "Allah akbar", then started shooting down into the cubicles where soldiers were sitting. At first, she thought it was a terrorism exercise until a second later the person standing next to her was shot dead.

Oh yeah so terrorist-like. :roll:

He SHOULD'VE been kicked out of the military immediately after the FBI eyed on him about the suicide bombings on the internet which is VERY extremely serious shit.

I'm actually surprised they still let him stay...hmmm.

asshole? yes
coward? let's not call him that. Just because a person signed up for army doesn't mean he is fearless robot. Every soldier is scared shitless of being sent to Iraq, of course. It is too bad that he chose to kill people to avoid being sent to Iraq.
Shooting unarmed, non-threatening, cornered people in a building without warning is cowardly.

Oh yeah so terrorist-like. :roll:

He SHOULD'VE been kicked out of the military immediately after the FBI eyed on him about the suicide bombings on the internet which is VERY extremely serious shit.

I'm actually surprised they still let him stay...hmmm.
They definitely have a lot of explaining to do.

asshole? yes

It is absolutely normal to be scared of going to another country where there is war there. Many soldiers feel that way and I don't blame them but of course, no excuse to kill people over the deployment to Iraq issue.

Shooting unarmed, non-threatening, cornered people in a building without warning is cowardly.

I'm talking about being a coward for not wanting to go to Iraq

It is absolutely normal to be scared of going to another country where there is war there. Many soldiers feel that way and I don't blame them but of course, no excuse to kill people over the deployment to Iraq issue.

yep. definitely.

updates from my hometown

Fort Hood Shootings: Flags Lowered In Ark., Moment of Silence Held
Fort Hood Shootings: Flags Lowered In Ark., Moment of Silence Held - todaysthv.com | KTHV | Little Rock, AR

Arkansas Gov. Mike Beebe is ordering all U.S. and Arkansas flags to be flown at half-staff to honor those killed and wounded at Fort Hood, Texas. The flags are to be lowered until sunset Tuesday.

Beebe said in a statement that military personnel in Arkansas have a long history with Fort Hood.

Authorities say a military psychiatrist went on a shooting rampage Thursday that left 13 dead at the base.

Secretary of Defense Robert Gates has declared a moment of silence for U.S. military forces worldwide as a show of respect for the Fort Hood victims. The Arkansas National Guard participated in that moment of silence Friday afternoon.

The Arkansas National Guard released the following statement:

"The Arkansas National Guard is deeply saddened by the devastating tragedy that took place at Fort Hood, Texas, yesterday. Our thoughts and prayers are with the entire community of Fort Hood, but especially with the families and individuals directly affected by this heartbreaking event."

The South Central Division of the American Red Cross, which includes Arkansas and Texas, has shipped more than 150 units of blood and blood products to use in the Fort Hood response. They are on standby to ship more.

Local Red Cross spokesman Alan Gibson says, "Tragic events are a clear reminder of the message we always offer that the need for blood is constant and supplies have to be ready and available at all times to meet unexpected need."

If you are eligible to give blood or have questions about donating, call 1-800-GIVE-LIFE (800-448-3543) or givelife.org.

Authorities say the Fort Hood shooting suspect, Nidal Malik Hasan, remains in a coma but is expected to live.

A federal law enforcement official said investigators have not been able to talk to Hasan since the deadly rampage that left 13 people dead and injured 30 others at the sprawling Army post in Texas on Thursday.

The initial investigation shows that Hasan allegedly used only one gun during the attack, a 5.7-caliber semiautomatic pistol. Army officials said Hasan also was carrying another handgun. But the law enforcement official said there's nothing so far to indicate the second weapon was fired.

The law enforcement official spoke on condition of anonymity because the investigation is ongoing.

Meanwhile, President Barack Obama has asked Americans not to jump to conclusions while law enforcement officials gather facts about the shootings.

THV's Faith Abubey is following this story and will have the latest on "Today's THV at 6:00" and todaysthv.com.

Fort Hood shooting victims
Express-News -

The following is a list of the victims in Thursday's Fort Hood shooting rampage that left 13 dead and 38 injured, of which 30 needed to be hospitalized. The list is compiled from various news reports around the country. Authorities have not released any names of the victims as of noon Friday.

Killed

Michael Grant Cahill, 62, of Spokane, Wash., was a physician's assistant who was working on the post as a contracted civilian

Staff Sgt. Justin M. DeCrow, 32, of Plymouth, Ind.

Reservist John Gaffaney, 56, of Serra Messa, Calif.

Spc. Jason Dean Hunt, 22, of Tipton, Okla.

Sgt. Amy Krueger, 29, of Kiel, Wis.

Pfc. Aaron Thomas Nemelka, 19, of West Jordan, Utah, was killed.

Pfc. Michael Pearson, 21, of Bolingbrook, Ill.

Russell Seager, 51, of Racine, Wis.

Pvt. Francheska Velez, 21, of Chicago. She was pregnant.

Military physician assistant Juanita Warman, 55, of Pittsburgh

Spc. Kham Xiong, 23, of St. Paul, Minn.

Wounded

Chief Warrant Officer Chris Birmingham of Eclectic, Ala., was shot three times.

Sgt. Patrick Blue III, 23, of Belcourt, N.D., was hit in the side by bullet fragments during the attack

Amber Bahr, 19, of Random Lake, Wis., was shot in the stomach.

Keara Bono Torkelson, 21, of Ostego, Mo., was shot in the back left shoulder.

Alan Carroll, 20, of Bridgewater, N.J., was shot three times.

U.S. Army Reserve Social Worker Dorothy “Dorrie” Carskadon of Rockford, Ill., was critically injured.

Staff Sgt. Joy Clark, 27, of Des Moines suffered a gunshot wound

Spc. Matthew Cook, 30, of Binghamton, N.Y., was shot in the abdomen

Staff Sgt. Chad Davis of Eufaula, Ala., was wounded.

Pvt. Joey Foster, 21, of Ogden, Utah, was shot in the hip

Cpl. Nathan Hewitt, 26, of West Lafayette, Ind.

Justin Johnson, 21, of Punta Gorda, Fla., was shot in the chest and leg.

Staff. Sgt. Alonzo Lunsford, of Richmond County, N.C., was shot multiple times.

Shawn Manning, 33, formerly of Redman, Ore., was shot six times

Army 2nd Lt. Brandy Mason, of Monessen, was wounded.

Reserve Spc. Grant Moxon, 23, of Lodi, Wis., was shot in the leg.

Sgt. Kimberly Munley, 34, of Killeen is the Fort Hood civilian police officer who was shot multiple times by the suspect.

Maj. Randy Royer of Dothan, Ala., was shot.

Pvt. Raymondo “Ray” Saucedo, 26, of Greenville, Mich., had a bullet graze his arm.

George Stratton III, 18, of Post Falls, Idaho, was shot in the shoulder.
Fort Hood shooting victims

If Hasan stays in a coma indefinitely he can't be tried. That means, he will stay in the care of the government who will have to pay his extensive medical bills for possibly years.

updates from BBC news

US 'grieving' after army shooting
BBC NEWS | Americas | US 'grieving' after army shooting

US President Barack Obama has said the "entire nation" is grieving after a shooting that killed 13 people at a Texas army base.

He said he had ordered all flags at the White House and other Federal buildings to be flown at half mast until Veterans Day on 11 November.

Meanwhile hundreds of people held a candle-lit vigil at the Fort Hood base.

Major Nidal Malik Hasan, 39, a US-born Muslim and army psychiatrist, opened fire at Fort Hood on Thursday.

He was due to be deployed soon to Afghanistan, a military official said.

Family members said Mr Hasan was strongly opposed to the deployment and had wanted to leave the army.

Mr Obama cautioned against "jumping to conclusions" and said the motives for the shooting were being investigated.

"What we do know is that their families, friends and an entire nation are grieving right now for the valiant men and women who came under attack yesterday," he said on Friday.

He added that the order for flags on federal buildings to fly at half mast was a "modest tribute to those who lost their lives".

Later Japanese media reported that Mr Obama had asked to postpone his visit to Japan next Thursday by a day so that he could attend a memorial service for those killed.

The chief of staff of the US Army - Gen George Casey - said the attack had been a "kick in the gut" for the entire army.

On Friday, US soldiers and civilian residents at Fort Hood attended a candle-lit vigil in honour of the victims of the shootings, many crying and bowing their heads.

"Remember to keep breathing ... keep going," Chaplain Douglas Carver told the crowd, quoted by AP news agency.

Over 100 rounds fired

The attack began at about 1330 (1930 GMT) on Thursday at a personnel and medical centre at Fort Hood - the largest US military base in the world, home to about 40,000 troops.

The commander of the base, Lt Gen Robert Cone, told NBC News that, according to eyewitnesses, Mr Hasan had shouted the Arabic phrase "Allahu Akbar!" [God is great] before opening fire.

Deputy commander at Fort Hood, Col John Rossi, later said that more than 100 rounds were fired during the attack.

Col Rossi also confirmed earlier reports that the two handguns carried by Maj Hasan were not military arms, but "privately owned weapons".

He said that the suspect - who had been on a ventilator in a civilian hospital - was transferred on Friday by helicopter to the Brooke Army Medical Center in San Antonio, Texas.

'Nightmare'

Maj Hasan was shot four times during the attack and is currently being treated in hospital under armed guard.

The policewoman who shot him first - named as Kimberly Munley, 34 - was among those wounded.

A picture is beginning to emerge of the suspect, a psychiatrist who was transferred to the Texas base in July.

Reports suggested that he had been increasingly unhappy in the military and that his work at his previous post - Walter Reed Army Medical Center in Washington DC - had been the subject of concern.

His cousin told US media that Maj Hasan had been opposed to an imminent deployment overseas, describing it as his "worst nightmare".

He also said that Maj Hasan had been battling racial harassment because of his "Middle Eastern ethnicity".

Asif Qadri, who runs a clinic at a Muslim community centre where Maj Hasan prayed in Silver Spring, Maryland, told the BBC: "He seemed to be quite a gentleman... When I saw this news last night, it was unbelievable to me that this was the same person."

The imam of the mosque, Mohamed Abdullahi, said: "I never assumed that someone who took care of the mentally ill would himself be having problems."

A fellow Fort Hood soldier told the BBC that the incident could put pressure on Muslim American soldiers.

"It kind of puts a negative light on them and makes people distrust them because everybody is going to look at them [and think]: 'Well, you're probably going to pull something like this'," the soldier said. "And it's a sad fact that that will happen."

The New York Times said the FBI had been investigating internet postings by a man called Nidal Hasan that appeared to back suicide bombings - but said it was not clear whether it was the suspect.

Gen Cone said a graduation ceremony for a group of soldiers was taking place nearby at the time of the shooting.

"Thanks to the quick reaction of several soldiers, they were able to close off the doors to that auditorium where there were some 600 people inside," he said.

"As horrible as this was, I think it could have been much worse."

In an e-mail to the BBC, a US soldier stationed at the base described the venue as a large, open room where hundreds of soldiers were queuing up to get their pre-deployment checklists signed off.

Wow...he shot and killed a PREGNANT woman at the base. That is SO damn low of him. :mad:

If Hasan stays in a coma indefinitely he can't be tried. That means, he will stay in the care of the government who will have to pay his extensive medical bills for possibly years.

Fuck that. I ain't paying taxes for that freak. He can just die a slow miserable death, to save us the trouble.

"Allah Akbar" means God is Great so...it sounds like he did that out of the so called honor killing.

Honor killing is well known when husbands kill their wives when he dont think his wife (or wives) was "obeying" him or whatever so...he kill her and declare it as an honor killing while saying that religious mumbo jumbo.

I guess "thou shall not kill" don't really mean anything to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back