Shooting at Ft Hood; 7 dead, 20+wounded

Status
Not open for further replies.
1258707922804.jpg

It's a picture of a homeless guy sleeping on the streets with a shepherd-type dog sitting upright in his lap, who is also sleeping. The caption is "Money not importants" at the top. At the bottom, it says "Loves importants".

Look around the political threads, and you will see that $$$ drives the bus around here. It is the core of most of the debates.

BTW, interesting idea to put picture description in white font. I would not have known except I quoted you.

Look around the political threads, and you will see that $$$ drives the bus around here. It is the core of most of the debates.

BTW, interesting idea to put picture description in white font. I would not have known except I quoted you.

I know, but the $1.4 trillion quote is getting to be an ad nauseam to the point where no one cares. Everyone does care about the deficit, but when reminded every single time... they either tune it out to ignore the problem completely, or they get angry that they can't go on about with their daily lives without being bombarded.

The problem is, people do care, like I do and they see just how bad things can get real quick. Unless you like hyper-inflation and higher highs unemployment rates. How disengenious for Obama to suddenly revert on his own talking point about spending so much money we don't have by and all of sudden say that if we don't watch out then "the US economy faces the threat of a “double-dip recession” unless the government carries out fiscal austerity measures designed to slash the mounting public debt." How ironic, hypocrital, and two-face all at the same time. Maybe it need to take shows like Saturday Night Live to deliver exactly the message they can easily understand.
As US debt tops $12 trillion, Obama calls for austerity NWO Observer

INTERPRETER: Are we? Are we going to get our money? Because from what I read your country is in the middle of a serious recession.

OBAMA: Uh, while this is true, there are signs that our bailout has steadied the financial markets and our stimulus package has been effective in fixing the job crisis.

(Hu Jintao "speaks.")

INTERPRETER: I'm curious. How many jobs has it created?

OBAMA: Uh, so far, none.

(Hu Jintao "speaks.")

INTERPRETER: I see.

OBAMA: But our health care reform plan, we're confident, is going to lead to enormous savings.

(Hu Jintao "speaks.")

INTERPRETER: How exactly is extending health care coverage to 30 million people going to save you money?

OBAMA: I... don't know.

(Hu Jintao "speaks.")

INTERPRETER: And this "Cash for Clunkers" program-- I have read that you purchased many clunkers with our money.

OBAMA: Yes, we have.

(Hu Jintao "speaks.")

INTERPRETER: What does this word "clunkers" mean?

(Hu Jintao "speaks.")

OBAMA: Well, a clunker is a car...

(Hu Jintao "speaks.")

INTERPRETER: I know what a clunker is. And just so there is no misunderstanding, you are not allowed to pay us back in clunkers.

OBAMA:Of course not.

(Hu Jintao "speaks.")

INTERPRETER: You know, as I listen to you, I am noticing that each of your plans to save money involves spending even more money. This does not inspire confidence.

OBAMA: I assure you, you're going to get your money.

Riggggght.

More at - FREEDOM EDEN: SNL: Obama and Hu Jintao

You can quote, copy and paste... yet you fail actually read the posts.

It's almost like as soon you see a trigger word you don't agree with, you just stop reading and fire off without reading the rest of the post.

You can quote, copy and paste... yet you fail actually read the posts.

It's almost like as soon you see a trigger word you don't agree with, you just stop reading and fire off without reading the rest of the post.

Then people should be concerned about the deficit and should not tire of the $1.4 trillion dolllar deficit reference repeatedly. Either people fail to realize just how big that number is or they are being facetious and pretend to care that it's a problem. Shying away from the $1.4 trillion dollar reference is a sign by saying it's not an important point in all this deficit spending talks. It is a serious, serious issue. But since you're not a U.S. citizen, of course you don't seem to be overly worried. We are, though.

Actually, the deficit is on track to hit $1.2 trillion this year, but what's $200 billion among friends?

Seriously, what is it? To the average person, a number that big probably doesn't mean much. At some point long before the hundred-billion-dollar mark, large numbers simply become figures on the page, well beyond human scale and intuitive understanding. And yet as discussion about the economy and the impressive numbers that come along with it continue to dominate the news, it may be more important than ever to try to understand. Is a $700 billion financial-industry bailout a lot? Is a $775 billion economic-stimulus package enough? (See the worst business deals of 2008.)

Unfortunately, our puny human brains aren't particularly up to the task. Go back thousands of years and think about the simpler times of human existence. "We had a few friends; we had to be scared of a few animals. A trillion didn't come up very often," says Temple University mathematician John Allen Paulos, whose book Innumeracy addresses the topic. "There is a sense that when numbers are too big or too small, the brain just shuts off," says Colin Camerer, a professor of behavioral economics at the California Institute of Technology. "People either don't think about it at all or there is fear, an exaggerated reaction."

The genius of our numbering system is that we can signify massive quantities in short spaces. One billion takes no longer to write than one million does, points out Andrew Dilnot, an economist at Oxford University and author of The Numbers Game.

But that similarity trips us up when it comes time to imagine how those figures translate to the real world, where three more zeros make all the difference. "My favorite way to think of it is in terms of seconds," says David Schwartz, a children's book author whose How Much Is a Million? tries to wrap young minds around the concept. "One million seconds comes out to be about 11½ days. A billion seconds is 32 years. And a trillion seconds is 32,000 years. I like to say that I have a pretty good idea what I'll be doing a million seconds from now, no idea what I'll be doing a billion seconds from now, and an excellent idea of what I'll be doing a trillion seconds from now."
How to Understand a Trillion-Dollar Deficit - TIME

Then people should be concerned about the deficit and should not tire of the $1.4 trillion dolllar deficit reference repeatedly. Either people fail to realize just how big that number is or they are being facetious and pretend to care that it's a problem. Shying away from the $1.4 trillion dollar reference is a sign by saying it's not an important point in all this deficit spending talks. It is a serious, serious issue. But since you're not a U.S. citizen, of course you don't seem to be overly worried. We are, though.

How to Understand a Trillion-Dollar Deficit - TIME

I am really close to exploding here because of the ignorance displayed here. You think Canadians don't care?

More than half of our economy... between 60-80% is linked directly to the American's.

I suggest you THINK TWICE before sprouting such self-centric isolationist point of view.

MODS:

If the posts continue off topic, please lock this thread. It's disrespectful to the victims of Fort Hood to continue to rant about other "stuff" in this thread.

MODS:

If the posts continue off topic, please lock this thread. It's disrespectful to the victims of Fort Hood to continue to rant about other "stuff" in this thread.

You're absolutely right!

My apologies, Reba.

Mod note:

This thread just had been derailed off the track. Thread is closed on request.

MODS:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back