Self-Esteem vs low self-esteem

Liebling:-))) said:
This bible, the author wrote is their own opinion after use their scriptures... ;)

Let to talk about our esteem, please.
This website, www.coping.org, the authors James J. Messina, Ph.D. & Constance M. Messina, Ph.D. wrote their own opinion using psychology.

This website about Buddhism, the author Lama Yeshe wrote his own opinion about self-confidence.

See, we can use a variety of sources, including the Bible, in a discussion about self-esteem, no problem. :) The more variety of sources, the more interesting discussion.

Just like every other topic, there is more than just one viewpoint about self-esteem.

It is called Preference.

For example, some people can do well in Math by studying alone
at home. Some people can do well in Math by getting a tutor.
Some people can do well in Math by studying at the library.

Whatever make people happy. :wave:

If they like the term and definition and how to deal with self esteem
in the Bible, in the Psychology book, in other reference books...
As long as they understand self esteem. So why argue?

So let people used any tools they can use to help themselves.

Psychology alone doesn't always help. It is interesting to see
how the Bible tell us about self esteem.... because it may help
some people. :smash:

Reba said:
This website, www.coping.org, the authors James J. Messina, Ph.D. & Constance M. Messina, Ph.D. wrote their own opinion using psychology.

This website about Buddhism, the author Lama Yeshe wrote his own opinion about self-confidence.

See, we can use a variety of sources, including the Bible, in a discussion about self-esteem, no problem. :) The more variety of sources, the more interesting discussion.

Just like every other topic, there is more than just one viewpoint about self-esteem.

Now you know at last that it's authors, not GOD!

I see no problem to have you here to debate agree/disagree with us and have different opinions about self-esteem what you agree to any authors who wrote the bible, physcoholoy eg. but I see here is some people claimed that they OBEY GOD's word because God's word is wiser, Bible is the answer, Bible says, people are afraid of God, etc :roll: *sigh* Yes, we KNOW it's God's scriptures in different bibles - every authors use God's scriptures to translate. The people do not need to prove us what God's word says because we know it's not God's word but author who use God's scriputure. The authors, you show me in link, have their physcholoy skills. I'm not saying that I'm agree to ALL but I compared American physcoholoy with German physcoholoy in websites and must say that all what they wrote are SAME but bibles? It's my decision what I agree to any authors's opinions or not. All what I saw the bible here, they talk about high, low and bad esteem, not word about healthy and good esteem until I found link about healthy and good esteem what the bible says in my previous post. The people who beleive bibles misunderstand about self-esteem because they thinks it's "just" self-esteem and claimed that self-esteem are bad... :confused:
Of course YOU, ME and everyone have form of self-esteem. Right? I can't see the sense why the people don't beleive in self-esteem? What form of esteem they beleive in? It look like that they think there're NO esteem in us or what?

Lieblin' --

You wanna to know why I don't believe in self-esteem, right ? Okay, I will tell you why..........

Yesterday, I had a good and looog talk with a deaf friend of mine about ISD school ( Iowa School for the Deaf ). I was explainin' to her what I know about self-esteem. Of course, I told her that I DON'T believe in self-esteem - AFTER what she told me the WHOLE story about what happened at ISD. I was shocked and knew that I was right all along.

*Sigh* Ok, I will tell you about what happened at ISD after she told me the whole story:

There was one man who just got up and get ready for ISD school ( he worked there ). When he arrived at ISD, there was a young 13 years old deaf girl who blocked the "entrance" door to prevent him from goin' in. It was rainin' outside. What shall HE do about it ? He CAN'T remove her from blockin' him. Soo, he called another person about THAT girl who blocked him from goin' inside and he told another person that HE had to go home because, of that girl WON'T let him in.

And, also there was another eposide:
There was one young girl punched with her fist against Staff's right temple when the Staff ENTERED in the dorm room to bring the playin' cards -- just, because the Staff refused to bring it in the first place after she was bein' told it was late and it was time for bed. ( Of course, the Staff gave in what that young girl wanted after the Staff was bein' punched right in the temple. )

It obviously to me that ISD's rules are not good anymore to deaf teens. The deaf teens are now takin' over to control that school - not teachers, or staffs, or houseparents or what ever. Not anymore.

When the teens takin' over in that school to control over, they feel sooo good inside about themselves to have that POWER to make the adults to bend over what the teens wanted. Right now, the teachers, the houseparents, the Staffs and other adults have to GIVE IN what the teens want, because they are IN school. Teens don't care. That feeds off to boost the teens' self-esteem to feel GOOD about themselves when they DO that.
It's WHY I don't believe in self-esteem where it stated to feed off to boost the children what they WANT in order to feel that power. It's all totally WRONG ! Oh, yeah teen can say, "Well, they won't give ME what " I " want. It's why I punched her/him in the face".... Gee - what's the matter with them ( teens ) nowdays, eh ? Teens don't view the adults as their duties to take care of the teens/children. They view the adults as if, they don't exit.

It's why I don't believe in self-esteem - no matter, if it is healthy or not healthy. If, it is healthy - kids will want more, otherwise they will find somethin' to hurt adults to get even just, because of emotional/ psychological problems.

I bet you ONE DAY, if one of the kids don't like somethin' about PARENT at HOME - one of the kids will tell the boss/ or supervisor/ or who ever at school about PARENT, they will lead the parent in arrest and lead the parent away from home, so the kids can take over the house. How would YOU know, if the kids will tell LIE to cover themselves just because, they don't like the rules in the house their parents expect them to follow ? They are NOT over the age of 18 to live their own life. I bet you that teens/children will NOT take "NO" from the parents, if teens/ children don't like somethin' from their parents at home. They are victimizin' their parents, just because they can threat whatever they could make the parents scared, if the parents don't give in what the teens/children want. Gee - WHO taught the teens/ children THAT ? School !

I don't think you will be able to grasp this whole picture IN my view, because I CAN see the children are receivin' their rights more and more than the parents in nowdays............

Cheri said:
Omg! "favoritism" "circle of friends" Does that lines sounds familiar to you Liebling? :rofl: This person is just contradicting herself, should have a taste of her own medicine.

Thank-you! That's what I've been saying. :thumb: Plus I agree with your post too--well said, you just explain self-esteem! :thumb:

Oh I know that I was only giving an example of poor self-esteem. ;)

And about kids developing their self-esteem when they do well in school, getting good grade making parents proud and themselves too. It's important pact on us as a parent to show them that they can do it, make them feel important and set their goals high and They will work their way up. Having self-esteem is very important part of our lives, even on kids to especially under peer pressure. Just like Vampy stated, each person is good at something, and each has their own good qualities, It makes them valuable it does help their self-esteem. ;)

No problem, Cheri :hug:

You made a lot of good points here about esteem, that I'm agree everything and also examples, too. I like to learn a lot about form of esteem what we have. I'm interesting to focus anything. :thumb:

Sorry; Liebling. *hiding*

No problem, you made good point to try to convince them to not mix between bible "says" and our esteem. :hug:

[
QUOTE=CyberRed]Lieblin' --

You wanna to know why I don't believe in self-esteem, right ? Okay, I will tell you why..........

Yesterday, I had a good and looog talk with a deaf friend of mine about ISD school ( Iowa School for the Deaf ). I was explainin' to her what I know about self-esteem. Of course, I told her that I DON'T believe in self-esteem - AFTER what she told me the WHOLE story about what happened at ISD. I was shocked and knew that I was right all along.
*Sigh* Ok, I will tell you about what happened at ISD after she told me the whole story:

I'm trying to explain in my previous about "form" of self-esteem, not just self-esteem.

It’s not just “self-esteem” but form of self-esteem.
Low self-esteem
High self-esteem
Healthy self-esteem
Bad self-esteem
Good self-esteem

Of course everyone including you & me have form of self-esteem. You show your good motivation about God and Bible in other threads what I mean: is you having a good self-esteem to positive your belief and scriptures. That's good self-esteem.

It obviously to me that ISD's rules are not good anymore to deaf teens. The deaf teens are now takin' over to control that school - not teachers, or staffs, or houseparents or what ever. Not anymore.

I read your post about ISD School and have to agree with you that what the rules they made is too bad because the Staff negative student’s self-esteem with their form of discipline. It’s unhealthy self-esteem. (Weak discipline to let the children play the boss). I would not put my children to school like this because I won't let anyone boast my children's good self-esteem.

I would write a letter to School Authorities if I found out that they made negative rules to influence my children..

There was one man who just got up and get ready for ISD school ( he worked there ). When he arrived at ISD, there was a young 13 years old deaf girl who blocked the "entrance" door to prevent him from goin' in. It was rainin' outside. What shall HE do about it ? He CAN'T remove her from blockin' him. Soo, he called another person about THAT girl who blocked him from goin' inside and he told another person that HE had to go home because, of that girl WON'T let him in.

I have to correct the Staff’s discipline. What will I act when I were Staff.

What a man act is no good. Why? Because it makes a girl motivate her negative self-esteem more.
What and how I do if a girl blocked the entrance door to let me go in. I would not give up and stay long and call Principal to get him/her to check and then call school counselor then police, instead of ask other person then give up and go home because a girl laugh at him and said to herself that she “win” and he “lost”.

And, also there was another eposide:
There was one young girl punched with her fist against Staff's right temple when the Staff ENTERED in the dorm room to bring the playin' cards -- just, because the Staff refused to bring it in the first place after she was bein' told it was late and it was time for bed. ( Of course, the Staff gave in what that young girl wanted after the Staff was bein' punched right in the temple. )

Who fault? Of course Staffs!!! It’s them who teach children to negative their good self-esteem.

When the teens takin' over in that school to control over, they feel sooo good inside about themselves to have that POWER to make the adults to bend over what the teens wanted. Right now, the teachers, the houseparents, the Staffs and other adults have to GIVE IN what the teens want, because they are IN school. Teens don't care. That feeds off to boost the teens' self-esteem to feel GOOD about themselves when they DO that.
It's WHY I don't believe in self-esteem where it stated to feed off to boost the children what they WANT in order to feel that power. It's all totally WRONG ! Oh, yeah teen can say, "Well, they won't give ME what " I " want. It's why I punched her/him in the face".... Gee - what's the matter with them ( teens ) nowdays, eh ? Teens don't view the adults as their duties to take care of the teens/children. They view the adults as if, they don't exit.

It's why I don't believe in self-esteem - no matter, if it is healthy or not healthy. If, it is healthy - kids will want more, otherwise they will find somethin' to hurt adults to get even just, because of emotional/ psychological problems.

I bet you ONE DAY, if one of the kids don't like somethin' about PARENT at HOME - one of the kids will tell the boss/ or supervisor/ or who ever at school about PARENT, they will lead the parent in arrest and lead the parent away from home, so the kids can take over the house. How would YOU know, if the kids will tell LIE to cover themselves just because, they don't like the rules in the house their parents expect them to follow ? They are NOT over the age of 18 to live their own life. I bet you that teens/children will NOT take "NO" from the parents, if teens/ children don't like somethin' from their parents at home. They are victimizin' their parents, just because they can threat whatever they could make the parents scared, if the parents don't give in what the teens/children want. Gee - WHO taught the teens/ children THAT ? School !
[/QUOTE]

No, the parents should fix their firm limit on their children. It’s bad if schools/parents give in their limit and give their children right or keep change their rules all the time which it confused children. Example, the children knows our TV, computer times limit etc. Yes, the children test their parent’s limits but the parents should stick their limit firm instead of “give in”. Limits are the parent’s responsibility. Why? Because limits protect people from physical harm, protect property, prevent psychological harm etc. The children need to expect clear and positive limit. Well, the children sometimes have wonderful ideas and opinions about limits. The parents are more likely to gain their children’s cooperation in the limit – not always agreement. It would be acceptance from the parent’s explanation more if the children ask “whys”.

Why Children Misbehave
http://www.k-state.edu/wwparent/courses/rd/rd4.htm

See explain above. That’s about respect. It’s bad if the parents or school negative children’s self-esteem. It would be great if the parents seeking the help to improve their children’s behavior.

Yes, I know it’s not easy for the parents to deal with teenagers due their puberty time. All what we do is bite our mouth and firm them with our limit.

It explains about children’s development due puberty time.
http://healingwell.healthology.com/healingwell/16328.htm

The parents are supposing to check with their children’s school to see either they are good nor not. I would do that if I found out the school is bad example for my children then put my children to other school. Other side: the parents are supposing to support the teacher’s discipline on our children during lesson time. Example: my children have new teacher – we parents have to get to know her/him… We discussed during parental evening to find out what her/his discipline on our children then support her/him and then explain children when we are home about teacher’s discipline. It’s too bad if the parents support the children against teacher all the time, it will negative teacher’s discipline on their children… Why? Because they are afraid that the parents “might” sue them for “touch” their children e.g. As long as the disipline at school is fine, not hurt our children or negative my children's good self-esteem.

I don't think you will be able to grasp this whole picture IN my view, because I CAN see the children are receivin' their rights more and more than the parents in nowdays............

Well, I thought the same as you at begin until I realize the reason why the children have more rights is to prevent parent’s form of abuse to affect their self-esteem. We have hot debate at parent’s conference at 10 years ago. They explained the reason and showed us the pictures of children's bodies - burnt them with cigarettes, blue eyes, bruise bodies, etc. It make me cry and understand why they fixed the children protection rights. They explained that the parents thought spanking works to improve their behavior – it won’t stay long… then again and again, and then try other method to hurt their children’s emotional then … work… later then not work… then physical abuse… at last. It looks like the parents tried method to punish the children but it makes them worst… then again…. It could end to kill the children by accidentally. A lot of parents don’t mean to kill their children but want to punish them hard/harsh… it kills them… I began to understand why they fix the law and have to agree to this because I know myself what I had been through in the past. If the parents have the problem to deal with their children’s behavior then go to see counselor, e.g. then they will help them how to improve their children’s behavior.

Last edited:
I honestly do not know where this thread is heading but some posts don't make quite sense at all.... :confused:

Anyways I found something on web site which helps me teach my children about " self-esteem ", good thing that I saved the link ;)...

You can't touch it, but it affects how you feel. You can't see it, but it's there when you look at yourself in the mirror. You can't hear it, but it's there every time you talk about yourself. What is this important but mysterious thing? It's your self-esteem!

What Is Self-Esteem?

To understand self-esteem, it helps to break the term into two words. Let's take a look at the word esteem first. Esteem (say: ess-teem) is a fancy word for thinking that someone or something is important or valuing that person or thing. For example, if you really admire your friend's dad because he volunteers at the fire department, it means you hold him in high esteem. And the special trophy for the most valuable player on a team is often called an esteemed trophy. This means the trophy stands for an important accomplishment.

And self means, well, yourself! So put the two words together and it's easier to see what self-esteem is. It's how much you value yourself and how important you think you are. It's how you see yourself and how you feel about your achievements.

Self-esteem isn't bragging about how great you are. It's more like quietly knowing that you're worth a lot (priceless, in fact!). It's not about thinking you're perfect - because nobody is - but knowing that you're worthy of being loved and accepted.

Why Self-Esteem Is Important

Self-esteem isn't like a cool pair of sneakers that you'd love to have but don't have to have. A kid needs to have self-esteem. Good self-esteem is important because it helps you to hold your head high and feel proud of yourself and what you can do. It gives you the courage to try new things and the power to believe in yourself. It lets you respect yourself, even when you make mistakes. And when you respect yourself, adults and other kids usually respect you, too.

Having good self-esteem is also the ticket to making good choices about your mind and body. If you think you're important, you'll be less likely to follow the crowd if your friends are doing something dumb or dangerous. If you have good self-esteem, you know that you're smart enough to make your own decisions. You value your safety, your feelings, your health - your whole self! Good self-esteem helps you know that every part of you is worth caring for and protecting.

How Kids Get Self-Esteem

Babies don't see themselves in a good or bad way. They don't think "I'm great!" when they let out a big burp, or "Oh, no, this diaper makes my legs look weird!" Instead, people around a baby help him or her develop self-esteem. How? By encouraging the baby when he or she learns to crawl, walk, or talk. They often say, "Good job. Good for you!" When people take good care of a baby, that also helps him or her feel lovable and valuable.

As kids gets older, they can have a bigger role in developing their self-esteem. Achievements - like getting a good grade on a test or making the All-Star soccer team - are things kids can be proud of. So are having a good sense of humor or being a good friend.

A kid's family and other people in his or her life - like coaches, teammates, and classmates - also can boost his or her self-esteem. They can help a kid figure out how to do things or notice his or her good qualities. They can believe in the kid and encourage him or her to try again when something doesn't go right the first time. It's all part of kids learning to see themselves in a positive way, to feel proud of what they've done, and to be confident that there's a lot more they can do.

A Little on Low Self-Esteem

Maybe you know kids with low self-esteem who don't think very highly of themselves or seem to criticize themselves too much. Or maybe you have low self-esteem and don't always feel very good about yourself or think you're important.

Sometimes a kid will have low self-esteem if his mother or father doesn't encourage him enough or if there is a lot of yelling at home. Other times, a kid's self-esteem can be hurt in the classroom. A teacher may make a kid feel dumb or perhaps there is a bully who says hurtful things.

For some kids, classes at school can seem so hard that they can't keep up or get the grades they'd hoped for. This can make them feel bad about themselves and hurt their self-esteem. Their self-esteem will improve when a teacher, tutor, or counselor encourages them, is patient, and helps them get back on track with learning. When they start to do well, their self-esteem will skyrocket!

And there are some kids who have good self-esteem but then something happens to change that. For example:

If a kid moves and doesn't make friends right away at the new school, he or she might start to feel bad.
A kid whose parents divorce also may find that this can affect self-esteem. He or she may feel unlovable or to blame for the divorce.
A kid who feels too fat or too thin may start thinking that means he or she isn't good enough.
Even going through the body changes of puberty - something that everybody does - can affect a kid's self-esteem.

Boosting Your Self-Esteem

Of course it's OK to have ups and downs in your feelings, but having low self-esteem isn't OK. Feeling like you're not important can make you sad and can keep you from trying new things. It can keep you from making friends or hurt how you do at school. Having strong self-esteem is also a very big part of growing up. As you get older and face tough decisions - especially under peer pressure - the more self-esteem you have, the better. It's important to know you're worth a lot.

If you think you might have low self-esteem, try talking to an adult you trust about it. He or she may be able to help you come up with some good ideas for building your self-esteem.

In the meantime, here are a few things that you can try to increase your self-esteem:

Make a list of the stuff you're good at. It can be anything from drawing or singing to playing a sport or telling a good joke. If you're having trouble with your list, ask your mom or dad to help you with it. Then add a few things to the list that you'd like to be good at. Your mom or dad can help you plan a way to work on those skills or talents.
Give yourself three compliments every day. Don't just say, "I'm so great." Be specific about something good about yourself, like, "I was a good friend to Jill today" or "I did better on that test than I thought I would." While you're at it, before you go to bed every night, list three things in your day that really made you happy.
Remember that your body is your own, no matter what shape, size, or color it is. If you are worried about your weight or size, you can check with your doctor to make sure that things are OK. Remind yourself of things about your body that are cool, like, "My legs are strong and I can skate really well."
Remember that there are things about yourself you can't change. You should accept and love these things - such as skin color and shoe size - because they are part of you.
When you hear negative comments in your head, tell yourself to stop. When you do this, you take the power away from the voice inside that discourages you.

By focusing on the good things you do and all your great qualities, you learn to love and accept yourself - the main ingredients for strong self-esteem! Even if you've got room for improvement (and who doesn't?), realizing that you're valuable and important helps your self-esteem to shine.

Self-Esteem

I have very low self esteem. It's pretty depressing. I don't see why some people are saying good self esteem is bad. I wish I had it. Low self esteem is very lonely. It makes you bitter and guarded. And sometimes it makes you wonder why you're here and if you're going to make it through to the next day. I don't think that God wants anyone to feel like that. And as far as those kids at that school, I don't believe that was caused from having self esteem. When most people act out like that its because they are so miserable in their life that they have to bring pain in someone else's just to feel better about themselves. So if those acts are caused by any type of self esteem it would be low self esteem.

mlkshkgrl said:
I have very low self esteem. It's pretty depressing. I don't see why some people are saying good self esteem is bad. I wish I had it. Low self esteem is very lonely. It makes you bitter and guarded. And sometimes it makes you wonder why you're here and if you're going to make it through to the next day. I don't think that God wants anyone to feel like that. And as far as those kids at that school, I don't believe that was caused from having self esteem. When most people act out like that its because they are so miserable in their life that they have to bring pain in someone else's just to feel better about themselves. So if those acts are caused by any type of self esteem it would be low self esteem.

Exactly, God wants everyone to have good self esteem and it's not a bad thing at all....He wants us to love ourselves for who we are, and to accept ourselves for what we are....

And btw, if you need someone to listen, I'm here! :hug:

Sorry Liebling for going a bit off the topic here

Oh Nooooo , it's not off topic Angel... It relate on this thread over self-esteem. :P

* I have to go home now and will be back to reply your further post, mlkshkgrl*

I was looking up for some more web sites on self-esteem and this one caught my eyes which I would like to share it with the rest of you....Cause I'm going thru this myself as a parents and I'm glad to know I'm not alone in this....

How to behave so your child will too!

Our children are a measure of our success and worthiness. We judge ourselves by their success and achievements. We compare ourselves to other parents. We compare our children to other children. Have you ever watched people buy apples? Parents want perfect apples. We want successful children. We want them to be happy and well adjusted. We want them to feel good about themselves. We want children who are loving and respectful of others. Most parents confront the same behavior problems. We become annoyed repeating everything three times. We spend too much time arguing. We become drained from the nagging and whining and manipulating and quarreling. We become exhausted from shouting and threatening. At times, it seems that all we do is punish. We feel guilty for getting angry, but it appears to be the only way to get results. We blame ourselves and feel ineffective for not knowing what to do. There are times when we dislike our children because their misbehavior makes us feel so inadequate and miserable.

Raising well-behaved children is not easy. Many parents fail. Not because they are inadequate. Not because they lack love for their children. Not because they want something less than the best for their children. Unsuccessful parents are inconsistent. They procrastinate. They give warnings but do not follow through. They say things they do not mean. They lack patience. They punish in anger. Unsuccessful parents attend to the negative rather than the positive. They criticize too much. Parents who have discipline problems do not plan. They do not realize that they can be part of the problem. Parents are part of the problem because of their patterns of reaction.

Parents usually react in one of two ways. Sometimes parents react passively. They give in to misbehavior because they do not feel like confronting the problem, at least not right now. You will lean why giving in makes misbehavior worse- Sometimes parents react with anger. You will also learn how reacting with anger makes misbehavior worse.

The way you react to your children's misbehavior affects future misbehavior. A certain amount of misbehavior is normal. My guess is that young children misbehave about 5% of the time. (Some days it feels like 50%!) Knowing how to react to this 5% is crucial. Reacting correctly and consistently can reduce misbehavior from 5% to less than 2%. Reacting incorrectly can increase misbehavior to 10% or more.

Knowing how to react is essential. Knowing how to prevent discipline problems is more important. You can escape many predicaments by setting up a few guidelines in advance. Successful parents believe in prevention and planning. They are more proactive than reactive. You will learn several strategies to help you be more proactive.

What We Need

Successful parents and their children are partners in discipline. Successful parents know that discipline is a teaching process. Discipline is not just punishment. Successful parents understand that their behavior and emotions affect their children's behavior and emotions. Successful parents model responsibility. They focus their attention and energy on the positive aspects of their children's behavior. Successful parents emphasize cooperation, not control. Successful parents teach their children to think for themselves. They teach children self-control. Successful parents build self-esteem. They know that healthy self-esteem is the main ingredient children need to develop self-confidence and resiliency.

Successful parents learn from their children. They develop reaction patterns that reduce misbehavior. Successful parents are consistent. They say what they mean and mean what they say. They follow through. Successful parents stay calm when their button is being pushed. They use punishments that teach, not get even. Successful parents connect special activities with good behavior.

Successful parents anticipate problems. They have a game plan. They have proactive strategies for managing tantrums, disobedience, fighting, arguments and power struggles. Successful parents have plans that teach the value of completing chores, earning allowances, and doing homework.

Successful parents do not let misbehavior keep them from enjoying their children. Successful parents are strict but positive. They are serious about the importance of proper conduct, but they have a childlike sense of humor whenever it is needed. Successful parents know how to appreciate their children, even when they are misbehaving. Most importantly, successful parents are open to change.

How This Book Will Help

This book will make your life easier. This book teaches you how to get your children to listen the first time you ask them to do something. It teaches you how to be more consistent. It shows you how to get your children to behave without getting angry. It explains how to use incentives without bribing. It shows you how to use punishments that teach. It explains how to punish your children without feeling punished yourself. It teaches you how to correct your children without arguments and power struggles. It empowers you to handle teasing and tantrums.

If you already have well-behaved children, thank your higher power. This book will help you too. It will make you more conscious of the successful strategies you are currently using. This book will show you how to maintain good behavior and it will prepare you for any future problems.

This book is a collection of ideas that I have learned from parents. Parents who were fatigued and confused. Parents drained from yelling. Parents who felt imprisoned by their children. Parents who walked through life on a treadmill. Parents whose hearts were empty. Parents who sometimes felt like giving up. Parents who discovered a better way.

All the examples in this book are true stories from actual parents with real problems. The ideas in this book are simple and practical. Everything is explained with down-to-earth language. There are a number of theories about parent and child behavior.

How We Learn Parenting Behavior

We learned most of our Parenting behavior from our parents. Have you ever said something to your children and then realized you heard these same words when you were a child. "Be careful or you'll break your neck." "Be quiet and eat." We parent the way we were parented. We discipline as we were disciplined. Most ideas that we learned from our parents are helpful. Some are not. We pick and choose from these methods. Things we like, we use. Things we do not like, we do not use.

Love Does Not Always Light the Way

Too many parents have the false belief that if they love their children as much as possible, misbehavior will someday improve. Love, warmth and affection are essential. They are fundamentals. You also need knowledge.

Parents need training just as professionals need training. Children need trained parents as much as they need loving parents. Training pulls together all the good ideas you already have. Training provides structure and direction. Training provides a framework. Training gives you confidence. You learn that what you are doing is right. More confidence means more self-control, less anger, less guilt and less frustration. More confidence means more respect from your children. Without confidence, many parents are afraid to correct or punish their children. Some worry that their children will not like them. Some are afraid they might harm their children emotionally. So they let their children misbehave.

How to behave.....

[

I'm trying to explain in my previous about "form" of self-esteem, not just self-esteem.

It’s not just “self-esteem” but form of self-esteem.
Low self-esteem
High self-esteem
Healthy self-esteem
Bad self-esteem
Good self-esteem

Of course everyone including you & me have form of self-esteem. You show your good motivation about God and Bible in other threads what I mean: is you having a good self-esteem to positive your belief and scriptures. That's good self-esteem.

Yeah, I know what you mean above. :) But, no one would accept me to share the bible verses here when I thought it was a good idea, because of good advice that God gave for every parent to help teachin' their children how to raise a "good" child. It helps to train a child how to be "self-confident" without feelin' bad/low esteem. For example : I am self-confident. I grew up attendin' church with my parents. It applies each child's life to look at themselves about love one another through Jesus Christ. When Vampy said "no bible" because, it was off topic. I stopped that track. He silenced me from voicin' until someone says "I don't think God wants anyone to feel like that" I stared at that word GOD and thought - gee, that is what I was tryin' to share GOD's word in my previous posts. But, nah - no one would want me to say it here.
I read your post about ISD School and have to agree with you that what the rules they made is too bad because the Staff negative student’s self-esteem with their form of discipline. It’s unhealthy self-esteem. (Weak discipline to let the children play the boss). I would not put my children to school like this because I won't let anyone boast my children's good self-esteem.

I didn't say anythin' about the Staff did negative thing to student's self-esteem. That Staff DIDN'T do anythin'. The Staff was just simply tellin' the student that it was time to go to bed, because of the time was late. But, no the student refused to follow the rules. She punched the Staff's right temple and the Staff was SHOCKED. That girl has no rights to punch the Staff, because that Staff is ADULT. The Staff was just simply doin' his/her job.

I would write a letter to School Authorities if I found out that they made negative rules to influence my children..

I have to correct the Staff’s discipline. What will I act when I were Staff.

What a man act is no good. Why? Because it makes a girl motivate her negative self-esteem more.
What and how I do if a girl blocked the entrance door to let me go in. I would not give up and stay long and call Principal to get him/her to check and then call school counselor then police, instead of ask other person then give up and go home because a girl laugh at him and said to herself that she “win” and he “lost”.

He already DID call another "adult" person about that girl who blocked him from goin' in. I discussed about this situation with a friend of mine yesterday and I told my friend that next time, if that kid do that again - call the police, period. I feel sorry for that man for losin' his hours ( his job ).

Who fault? Of course Staffs!!! It’s them who teach children to negative their good self-esteem.

It wasn't that man's fault. He didn't know that this girl was goin' to do that to him when he arrived and get ready to work. It was NOT him who taught that girl to do that. Kids sometimes like to give the adults a hard time and play head games with adults - just for the hell of it. I don't think it is funny.

No, the parents should fix their firm limit on their children. It’s bad if schools/parents give in their limit and give their children right or keep change their rules all the time which it confused children. Example, the children knows our TV, computer times limit etc. Yes, the children test their parent’s limits but the parents should stick their limit firm instead of “give in”. Limits are the parent’s responsibility. Why? Because limits protect people from physical harm, protect property, prevent psychological harm etc. The children need to expect clear and positive limit. Well, the children sometimes have wonderful ideas and opinions about limits. The parents are more likely to gain their children’s cooperation in the limit – not always agreement. It would be acceptance from the parent’s explanation more if the children ask “whys”.

Why Children Misbehave
http://www.k-state.edu/wwparent/courses/rd/rd4.htm

See explain above. That’s about respect. It’s bad if the parents or school negative children’s self-esteem. It would be great if the parents seeking the help to improve their children’s behavior.

Yes, I know it’s not easy for the parents to deal with teenagers due their puberty time. All what we do is bite our mouth and firm them with our limit.

It explains about children’s development due puberty time.
http://healingwell.healthology.com/healingwell/16328.htm

The parents are supposing to check with their children’s school to see either they are good nor not. I would do that if I found out the school is bad example for my children then put my children to other school. Other side: the parents are supposing to support the teacher’s discipline on our children during lesson time. Example: my children have new teacher – we parents have to get to know her/him… We discussed during parental evening to find out what her/his discipline on our children then support her/him and then explain children when we are home about teacher’s discipline. It’s too bad if the parents support the children against teacher all the time, it will negative teacher’s discipline on their children… Why? Because they are afraid that the parents “might” sue them for “touch” their children e.g. As long as the disipline at school is fine, not hurt our children or negative my children's good self-esteem.

Ok, how do you explain about "Columbine High School" when the shootings happened ? Some said it was blamed on Prozac pills. Who gave the kids the prozac pills before the shootings happened ? It was "esteem" problems involved. Some stated that the problems was at home.

I wonder if, there's a new law for all schools to take the pills to control the children's behavior at schools hmm ? To give the teachers easy job ?? This will make the mothers and fathers object and disagree with the rules at schools via laws. If, that happens - how sad !

Well, I thought the same as you at begin until I realize the reason why the children have more rights is to prevent parent’s form of abuse to affect their self-esteem. We have hot debate at parent’s conference at 10 years ago. They explained the reason and showed us the pictures of children's bodies - burnt them with cigarettes, blue eyes, bruise bodies, etc. It make me cry and understand why they fixed the children protection rights. They explained that the parents thought spanking works to improve their behavior – it won’t stay long… then again and again, and then try other method to hurt their children’s emotional then … work… later then not work… then physical abuse… at last. It looks like the parents tried method to punish the children but it makes them worst… then again…. It could end to kill the children by accidentally. A lot of parents don’t mean to kill their children but want to punish them hard/harsh… it kills them… I began to understand why they fix the law and have to agree to this because I know myself what I had been through in the past. If the parents have the problem to deal with their children’s behavior then go to see counselor, e.g. then they will help them how to improve their children’s behavior.[/QUOTE]

I understand this situation. It's because, some parents were involved in drinkin', or doin' some drugs, or havin' a bad relationship with their spouse/lover, and many things. It's probably why the stress/pressure have caused them to do crazy things on kids. There could be other reasons as well...for example : They sometimes use the kids for their "ritual" reasons. It could be anythin'. I've seen today is worst than old days.

Now you know at last that it's authors, not GOD!
Psychologists are authors of websites.

Lama Yeshe is author of a Buddhism article.

God is author of the Bible.

I will always trust what God authors more than what man authors. :)

Of course YOU, ME and everyone have form of self-esteem. Right? I can't see the sense why the people don't beleive in self-esteem? What form of esteem they beleive in? It look like that they think there're NO esteem in us or what?
"Believe in" means "trust". I believe in/trust Jesus Christ. I don't believe in/don't trust the philosophy that emphasizes "self-esteem."

FYI, that words "self-esteem" belong to this world, not God's. I see it a BIG difference. It's a man's idea to teach about the "self-esteem". It wasn't God's idea.

So, therefore when the "self-esteem" was taught to children, there's always a problem. I mean, A L W A Y S.

It's why I don't accept "self-esteem" ( no matter, if it is HIGH, or low, or BAD or Good ). I STILL don't accept it. I know what some of you talked about the "self-esteem" and of course, I know what it was all about. But, still.... I refused to accept it. I will try my best to explain WHY I refused to accept it ... later. Ok ? :) Right now, I need to run a few errands around here. I think this thread is good to debate/discuss. ;)

CyberRed said:
FYI, that words "self-esteem" belong to this world, not God's. I see it a BIG difference. It's a man's idea to teach about the "self-esteem". It wasn't God's idea.

So, therefore when the "self-esteem" was taught to children, there's always a problem. I mean, A L W A Y S.

It's why I don't accept "self-esteem" ( no matter, if it is HIGH, or low, or BAD or Good ). I STILL don't accept it. I know what some of you talked about the "self-esteem" and of course, I know what it was all about. But, still.... I refused to accept it. I will try my best to explain WHY I refused to accept it ... later. Ok ? :) Right now, I need to run a few errands around here. I think this thread is good to debate/discuss. ;)

This is not about "God" Cyber red It's about "self-esteem" Everyone has self-esteem rather bad or good. Self-esteem is about who you really are, it's about self confidence, feelings, emotions. It's important to have good feelings to have a good self-esteem. It has nothing to do with God or whatever you may think, because I think you don't understand what "self-esteem" really means. self-esteem is not about being perfect, it's about being positive lead your life in a positive direction, teaching your children to lead the right way, set their goals. God gave us a choice to live our life, am I correct? So we live our life how we want to live our lives, so self-esteem is a big part of each person's life. Why don't you make a list of passions, qualities and values that you have done in your life and the presents, those are self-esteems. It makes your whole life easy to lead if you do positive things, say positive things, that is called high self-esteem. Understood? ;)

Reba said:
"Believe in" means "trust". I believe in/trust Jesus Christ. I don't believe in/don't trust the philosophy that emphasizes "self-esteem."

I still don't get it, Maybe I'm the only one here who doesn't understand what you're talking about..

Correct me if I'm wrong here, you're saying that some people develope good self esteem in the wrong way meaning being more powerful than God?....If that the case then that's not what this thread is really about....

It is important that children develop their self esteem in a good way, and I see nothing wrong with that, I still don't get it when you said U don't believe in self esteem....

And I don't see any different between philosophy and Bible when it comes to talking about self esteem....

Cheri said:
This is not about "God" Cyber red It's about "self-esteem" Everyone has self-esteem rather bad or good. Self-esteem is about who you really are, it's about self confidence, feelings, emotions. It's important to have good feelings to have a good self-esteem. It has nothing to do with God or whatever you may think, because I think you don't understand what "self-esteem" really means. self-esteem is not about being perfect, it's about being positive lead your life in a positive direction, teaching your children to lead the right way, set their goals. God gave us a choice to live our life, am I correct? So we live our life how we want to live our lives, so self-esteem is a big part of each person's life. Why don't you make a list of passions, qualities and values that you have done in your life and the presents, those are self-esteems. It makes your whole life easy to lead if you do positive things, say positive things, that is called high self-esteem. Understood? ;)

Exactly it has nothing to do with being perfect or above others, but to have a good self-esteem meaning to love yourself and to love others, to do things in your life that is more postive than negitive....

Hi,:)

Wow, I feel that self-esteem is negative. I feel that self-esteem of high or low is not what God plans or something. In my heart, it's not right.

I admit that I already saw the counselor for the deaf for once a week for 10 weeks last year. I was willing to learn of why I felt frustrated with my 5 hearing siblings. It's a long story. My siblings and I are very close but after my mother died in almost 7 yrs ago and it changed so much because she was always there for me in communication. My siblings forgot about me when I was in a large group and I felt left out so was my husband, too. The more we felt burden. So that's why I decided to see a deaf counselor to learn more and understand.

Well, the deaf counselor said to me, "You have low self-esteem, your mother never taught you to learn how to be strong boundary when your siblings argued with you, you are very sensitive and you are very sweet, wonderful person so this is why your siblings found your weakness so they can say unkind to you when you complain." It's a long story. But anyway, I was surprised to hear what the counselor said about me being low self-esteem and I felt it is negative. I still am not sure if the counselor was right. But I learned something from the counselor how to use the boundary like "you can't defend her because she is your sister because I am your sister and that's not right - that's an example. I learned a lot about boundary. Yes, my parents and siblings and I are VERY, VERY CLOSE family.

My mother told me a few years before she died. (my Dad died in 20 yrs ago of cancer) anyway....she told me that she's tired of my three sisters - that they argued and argued. My mom said, "It's "Love and Hate Relationship"."

One more interesting.....the counselor told me that my deaf husband has high self-esteem. I told the counselor "no"...my husband felt that he has high self-esteem. I said no. Then my husband and I went home and I tried to figure it out and I explored in the internet and learn more about self-esteem. Low self-esteem...I found few of them which are in low self-esteem and I told my husband that my husband is low self-esteem - same thing with me - I have only few of them like very sensitive, worry about other people, etc (I forgot what else) and then I told the counselor at the next visit about my husband that he has low self- esteem and I showed her the paper that I found in the internet. The counselor swallowed the fish. She dropped the subject about self-esteem.

Sooooo....I realized that it is NOT healthy for people and counselors who tell people and patient that "you have low self-esteem or high self-esteem".

Then I read what CyberRed explained and it connected to my counselor experience and realized that specific of self-esteem is out of question because it is not what God plans.

Momoftwo

MomOf2

Why don't you tell me what God's plan on self esteem? You're saying you don't have any self esteem?.... Do you love yourself? are you happy? etc?.. :confused: ....

CyberRed:)

Yes, it is very important to discipline the children. Don't let the children to control the parents and don't let the children be the boss - it's the parents who are the boss. The children must obey to their parents. It's the same idea as we must obey to God what God tells us.

Momoftwo:)

Back