SEE is a language... It's English...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Banjo, it took some time for me to get used to it. Especially since I was reared with "Southern manners." Yes, m'am. The good thing is that it's honest and to the point.

I had a few problems when I lived in the South regarding my "outspoken manner" as they called it.:giggle: Especially given that I was a woman with an outspoken manner.:lol:

I have been this way for most of my life. I believe in cutting to the chase. And one cannot advocate unless one is willing to be outspoken and blunt.

You can say whatever you want if you say "Bless her heart" after it. Thick accent required, of course. :giggle:

Wow, tired topic revived.

I believe the mis-education of parents regarding SEE comes from well meaning but ill-advised/poorly trained teachers.
The schools in my area have MH classrooms where the teachers use SEE. Why? Because when they were in college, dealing with deaf children was a small block of a quarter and they had the big yellow Signing Exact English book thrust upon them and told 'do this'.
Students in the middle and high school settings are provided aides, not interpreters who were tossed the big yellow book and told 'do this'.

A good example this year was the Christmas Program. My 3yr. old granddaughter is in the preschool program and their song was 'Up on the House Top', to sing and sign. We were excited to help her practice...but...the signs were word word word in English order - or - SEE....no help from us. The audience was thrilled and we heard several comments about how great it was to see classes doing ASL.
Long way around to my point or observation...people are not educated about linguistics and believe ASL and MCEs are the same thing and interchangable. :(

I believe the mis-education of parents regarding SEE comes from well meaning but ill-advised/poorly trained teachers.
The schools in my area have MH classrooms where the teachers use SEE. Why? Because when they were in college, dealing with deaf children was a small block of a quarter and they had the big yellow Signing Exact English book thrust upon them and told 'do this'.
Students in the middle and high school settings are provided aides, not interpreters who were tossed the big yellow book and told 'do this'.

A good example this year was the Christmas Program. My 3yr. old granddaughter is in the preschool program and their song was 'Up on the House Top', to sing and sign. We were excited to help her practice..]but...the signs were word word word in English order - or - SEE....no help from us. The audience was thrilled and we heard several comments about how great it was to see classes doing ASL.
Long way around to my point or observation...people are not educated about linguistics and believe ASL and MCEs are the same thing and interchangable. :(

That goes to show you SEE bores one to sleep and you know how confused the audience can be upon awakening. :lol:

A good example this year was the Christmas Program. My 3yr. old granddaughter is in the preschool program and their song was 'Up on the House Top', to sing and sign. We were excited to help her practice...but...the signs were word word word in English order - or - SEE....no help from us. The audience was thrilled and we heard several comments about how great it was to see classes doing ASL.

Agreed. Unfortunately, when we attempted to explain that to the OP, she became quite angry.

I can only speak for myself, and I am fully aware that ASL and English are two distinct languages. I conceded in the first page or two that SEE itself is not a "language." My point was, and still is that when used properly SEE is in fact representative of the English language.
I did not at any point get "angry" when posters "attempted to explain it" to me.
I did however, get frustrated that people were trying to tell me that there is no way I'm using SEE and that it's outdated and ineffective. I know what I'm doing, and I've witnessed for myself it's effectiveness.
Jillio, pages back you claimed that you know of all these researchers who would be interested in my son. I told you if you really do in fact know researchers in the field, I'd be happy to be in contact with them.
You never responded to that. Sooo... Either you don't have all the connections you claim to have, or you don't want any light shed on the fact that TC/SEE can be highly effective. Which one is it?

I can only speak for myself, and I am fully aware that ASL and English are two distinct languages. I conceded in the first page or two that SEE itself is not a "language." My point was, and still is that when used properly SEE is in fact representative of the English language.
I did not at any point get "angry" when posters "attempted to explain it" to me.
I did however, get frustrated that people were trying to tell me that there is no way I'm using SEE and that it's outdated and ineffective. I know what I'm doing, and I've witnessed for myself it's effectiveness.
Jillio, pages back you claimed that you know of all these researchers who would be interested in my son. I told you if you really do in fact know researchers in the field, I'd be happy to be in contact with them.
You never responded to that. Sooo... Either you don't have all the connections you claim to have, or you don't want any light shed on the fact that TC/SEE can be highly effective. Which one is it?
1.) She probably does have connections. This is pretty much no doubt for me.
2.) any more research on TC/SEE is a waste of time, really. We know the results, and have showed you them.
3.) wait till your kid is in high school/college - you'll see the same.

No actually I haven't seen them because I cannot access it. As I'm sure most other people cannot access it. I read the synopsis and it said something to the effect of, "how MCE is not being used to it's best advantage.". Based on that it seems clear to me that who ever they were studying over a period of time did not have sufficient ability to use it properly.

These idle threats that have been made about my son need to stop. Saying I just need to wait until he gets older. What is wrong with this picture? my son is doing well, and we will continue addressing his needs as he gets older. He has a solid foundation to grow from, it's quite sad how some people are implying that he won't do well when he's older. Actually, it's not just sad it's nasty and rude. You don't know me, and you most certainly don't know my son. If all you have to put out into the universe is negativity about MY child, keep it to yourself.

No actually I haven't seen them because I cannot access it. As I'm sure most other people cannot access it. I read the synopsis and it said something to the effect of, "how MCE is not being used to it's best advantage.". Based on that it seems clear to me that who ever they were studying over a period of time did not have sufficient ability to use it properly.

These idle threats that have been made about my son need to stop. Saying I just need to wait until he gets older. What is wrong with this picture? my son is doing well, and we will continue addressing his needs as he gets older. He has a solid foundation to grow from, it's quite sad how some people are implying that he won't do well when he's older. Actually, it's not just sad it's nasty and rude. You don't know me, and you most certainly don't know my son. If all you have to put out into the universe is negativity about MY child, keep it to yourself.

No threats. I grew up with SEE and I have firsthand knowledge with it.
Regardless of what YOU think.... I KNOW this; SEE is just downright cumbersome. I was a high achiever and all that jazz, and I'm telling you this straight up - think about that for a bit, okay?

No threats. I grew up with SEE and I have firsthand knowledge with it.
Regardless of what YOU think.... I KNOW this; SEE is just downright cumbersome. I was a high achiever and all that jazz, and I'm telling you this straight up - think about that for a bit, okay?

Yep, we're the ones who actually lived it. Now that we are adults and try to explain just how awful or how hard it was, we just get told to STFU, basically. My parents were no different than most of the other parents on this board - they were trying to do the right thing.

Yep, we're the ones who actually lived it. Now that we are adults and try to explain just how awful or how hard it was, we just get told to STFU, basically. My parents were no different than most of the other parents on this board - they were trying to do the right thing.

Same with my parents. Same thing.

I shake my head sadly in seeing how hearing folk think they know more about sign language than the deaf themselves. Deja vu.

Beowulf, I don't know if another hearing parent has claimed to know more than "the deaf" but I know I have never claimed that, nor do I think it.

PFH I acknowledged pages back that ASL is a faster way of communicating in sign. I've never disagreed with that point.

Alleycat, I'm sorry you feel you've been told to shut the F up.

You don't recognize sarcasm when you SEE it do you? I made that statement as the direct result of your outlandish claims. If your child were really as remarkable as you claim, as a direct result of SEE, word would already have traveled and the researchers would be contacting you.:cool2:

My connections have seen plenty of parents like you. Nothing new there.

Looking to pick a fight today, are we? Having a bad week-end?

I have accessed it, and you have jumped to the wrong conclusion. Very dangerous indeed, to pronounce a definitive position based on too little knowledge, which appears to be exactly what you are doing with SEE.

What idle threats about your son? God, what is it with you overly defensive hearing parents that use your kids as a shield and a way to elicit sympathy. Talk about issues.:roll:

Beowulf, I don't know if another hearing parent has claimed to know more than "the deaf" but I know I have never claimed that, nor do I think it.

PFH I acknowledged pages back that ASL is a faster way of communicating in sign. I've never disagreed with that point.

Alleycat, I'm sorry you feel you've been told to shut the F up.

It is not a faster way. It is a complete way that addresses the needs of the brain for visual processing. That is what you don't seem to get. It is linguistically complete, and suits the needs for which it was intended. SEE was never intended to be used for communication purposes.

Actually I'm having a fabulous weekend Jillio, thank you for asking. The only one who ever seems to want to fight with half the people on this forum is you. Do you not see the common denominator in the threads that take on a nasty tone?

You were the one who so tastefully called my child remarkable. When I was questioned about how that came to be, my response was that he had ongoing access to language and that HE is smart. It's not strictly because we've used SEE.

I shake my head sadly in seeing how hearing folk think they know more about sign language than the deaf themselves. Deja vu.

Yep. Ignorance abounds, and in the process, many many opportunities for learning what could actually benefit their child is passed by. Why? Because it is the deaf who are saying it. Audism in all it's glory.

Actually I'm having a fabulous weekend Jillio, thank you for asking. The only one who ever seems to want to fight with half the people on this forum is you. Do you not see the common denominator in the threads that take on a nasty tone?

You were the one who so tastefully called my child remarkable. When I was questioned about how that came to be, my response was that he had ongoing access to language and that HE is smart. It's not strictly because we've used SEE.

The common denominator: Hearing parents who thinks they know everything. Simple.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back