SEE is a language... It's English...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I take full responsibility for the title of the thread. No one has specifically said, "don't use it" but the implication has been that I'm not using it as it was intended, and that since I'm not a "professional" I may or may not know what I'm doing. I am using it as intended, and I do know what I'm doing with my son.
I knew zero sign when my son was born. I am now fluent in SEE and beg/int in ASL. I put in a lot of work to get to where I'm at. He has had a lot of exposure to ASL, and I am working on my ASL skills. The way I speak, the way I live, and the way I love changed the day I had my son. Things shifted to making things accessible for him, not what was easy for me.
Not butt hurt, just surprised at the lack of maturity and respect of some of the posters.

I'll say it outright. You are not using it as intended if you are using it as a communication method. All of the MCEs were intended for instruction of the mechanics of the English language.

Your choice if you want to use it in a way that it was never recommended for. You make the choice, you accept the consequences of that choice.

If you already have all the problems solved for your deaf son (if I had a nickle for every hearing parent that has believed that!) why are you here? You certainly are not open to learning...you know it all already.

It would appear that you came in here looking for praise for what you have decided, and found that there is a whole world of evidence that you are not as informed as you thought you were on the topic. Sorry you didn't get what you thought you were going to get, but you did get some useful information. It is up to you whether you take advantage of it or not. But it really is uncalled for when you call the posters here "closed minded". It is obvious that they have taken a lot more time than yourself to investigate the options available. Just because something is rejected doesn't mean anyone is closed minded. It simply means that it has been found, through study and practical application, to be of little value.

Now people like to twist things around, but don't ever do that THEN point your finger at us and say "look, such angry people, bitter people..." If you are a part of the problem, you're the part of the group you label.

It's pretty obvious that I don't appreciate your behavior. I'm willing for it to change.

Also, for "Bulldozing your head off"... Well, if being presented RESEARCH and FACTS = bulldozing your head off... So be it. I think it is an opportunity to be educated and you should be thankful. There are tons of knowledgeable people here - use them.

Excellent post! +1.

My behavior? Seriously?
I did make an informed choice.
And I didn't say bulldozing my head, I said bulldozing my land.
I'm sorry that I didn't fit perfectly into that little tiny box you guys have. I have no problem not agreeing on things with people, but it seems that here if you disagree on certain issues you are exiled to the land of evil hearies.
I'm not some bad ignorant person that you believe me to be. Ive taken every step to acknowledge and address my Childs needs.

I stopped reading after seeing the word "bitterness."

The thing is: SEE is NOT a language, not English either. How is that making ME bitter? By telling you the truth that you didn't want to hear, you want to come out and say we're bitter.

Sounds like a few other people here. Help yourself. I don't mind.

(read a little more, not all)

If you want me to quote a few people who say they're pleased with you signing with your kid, I can. Don't be blind to these compliments. We're just discussing the fact that SEE is not a langauge. Nothing more, nothing less. Not a bitter discussion, just an educational discussion.

Exactly. Why would we be bitter? I love the English language but I wont' sign in SEE as it's just too damn awkward.

My behavior? Seriously?
I'm sorry that I didn't fit perfectly into that little tiny box you guys have. I have no problem not agreeing on things with people, but it seems that here if you disagree on certain issues you are exiled to the land of evil hearies.
I'm not some bad ignorant person that you believe me to be. Ive taken every step to acknowledge and address my Childs needs.

Just curious - where did we say you were ignorant? Where did we say you arent addressing your child needs?

Thats fine you're doing whatever you want. But we're just providing you research with THOUSANDS others saying there is a better way to do things - its YOUR CHOICE to use it or not.

Don't play the victim game, it has been tried here - and we're experienced enough to say its insulting to say the least.

My behavior? Seriously?

Actually, our box is quite large. That appears to be the problem. You keep trying to make us fit into that tiny one you have enclosed yourself in.:cool2:

Just curious - where did we say you were ignorant? Where did we say you arent addressing your child needs?

Thats fine you're doing whatever you want. But we're just providing you research with THOUSANDS others saying there is a better way to do things - its YOUR CHOICE to use it or not.

Don't play the victim game, it has been tried here - and we're experienced enough to say its insulting to say the least.

No doubt. You want to claim that you have full confidence in your decisions, then stand by them. Stop playing the victim. If you want to support your decision, do so with empiricle evidence in the same way we support our claims. God, it is time to stop with the personalization of everything. People come in here saying "I have done my research" but cannot come up with a single research study to support what they say.

I most certainly did not come here for praise. I knew opening up on this forum about what we do would lead to criticism. I know that it's not a "popular choice.". I really didn't expect to be criticized and demeaned to the extent that I have. I never said I have all the problem solved for my son, it's an ongoing battle dealing with his education. Why am I here Jillio? The same reason everyone else is here.

I'm not playing the victim. I'm stating a fact.

I most certainly did not come here for praise. I knew opening up on this forum about what we do would lead to criticism. I know that it's not a "popular choice.". I really didn't expect to be criticized and demeaned to the extent that I have. I never said I have all the problem solved for my son, it's an ongoing battle dealing with his education. Why am I here Jillio? The same reason everyone else is here.

You certainly aren't here for the same reason I am. You have not been criticized and demeaned. You have been offered information. Perhaps it is your insecurity that puts you in the position of misinterpreting information as criticism.:cool2:

Relax and learn. It really can be an enjoyable experience.

I'm not playing the victim. I'm stating a fact.

A fact can't be disputed with evidence. Your victim status most certainly can. What you are stating, actually, is what you feel like and we all know that feelings are quite often only tenuously connected to reality.

Actually, it is discussing all of the MCEs. SEE I just happens to be the forerunner. If it is an MCE, then the discussion applies.

Still, none of the MCEs were ever intended as communication methods.

I thought rochester method was first*

*I have been known to be wrong

rm was used with students that did not learn speech(its overrated) and there for was their communication method

I thought rochester method was first*

*I have been known to be wrong

rm was used with students that did not learn speech(its overrated) and there for was their communication method

Oh boy, that's a method that's even more painful to use in everyday conservation than SEE. :P

It's part of Deaf culture to bluntly speak the truth. That's what people are doing. Apparently, that makes some people uncomfortable. I can understand that.

Csign, if you stop justifying your actions and being so defensive, you might see the truth in what people are writing. These are the voices of experience.

It's part of Deaf culture to bluntly speak the truth. That's what people are doing. Apparently, that makes some people uncomfortable. I can understand that.

Csign, if you stop justifying your actions and being so defensive, you might see the truth in what people are writing. These are the voices of experience.

Good post.

Ain't that the truth? I am known to be blunt when it's necessary.

Banjo, it took some time for me to get used to it. Especially since I was reared with "Southern manners." Yes, m'am. The good thing is that it's honest and to the point.

honestly, I had to get used to it more too. I'm fairly shy actually. But persistent.
Helps that hubby is very blunt.

Banjo, it took some time for me to get used to it. Especially since I was reared with "Southern manners." Yes, m'am. The good thing is that it's honest and to the point.

Well, I make it a point to be blunt, but polite at the same time if possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back