SEE is a language... It's English...

Status
Not open for further replies.
The common denominator: Hearing parents who thinks they know everything. Simple.

Bingo. The discussions I am involved in until they show up looking for a fight are very productive and civil.

Almost all Deaf kids do WELL or BRILLIANTLY at young age and almost all Deaf kids start to struggle as they get older and gap gets bigger as older they get. It always happening and circle going round and round and neverending. They are trying to tell you it might happen with your son so that you can spot it early before it really happens. It usually starts around 11 to 14, it can sometimes start as early as 7 but not as much as pre-teen and teen ages.

All my Deaf friends had this happened except only 1. Only 1 got very lucky because he had parents make sure he got BSL (in UK) and speak at same time. Rest of us had speak only or speaking with mixure of SEE and sometimes SSE and even some of us had Cued Speech for few months.

Beowulf, I don't know if another hearing parent has claimed to know more than "the deaf" but I know I have never claimed that, nor do I think it.

PFH I acknowledged pages back that ASL is a faster way of communicating in sign. I've never disagreed with that point.

Alleycat, I'm sorry you feel you've been told to shut the F up.

I saw that, but why hardcore on SEE?

The major difference is that with SEE the child's brain is in a overdrive mode all the time thinking. With ASL that overdrive is not there, the child is not exhausted.

I never enjoyed reading (and to this day) and I BLAME SEE for this. When the reading class were going on, i was confused as fuck because of the interpreters.

ANd yes, researchers were writing about me being gifted and all. My name's out there...

Thank you for getting inside my head. Your right. I know it all.

Almost all Deaf kids do WELL or BRILLIANTLY at young age and almost all Deaf kids start to struggle as they get older and gap gets bigger as older they get. It always happening and circle going round and round and neverending. They are trying to tell you it might happen with your son so that you can spot it early before it really happens. It usually starts around 11 to 14, it can sometimes start as early as 7 but not as much as pre-teen and teen ages.

All my Deaf friends had this happened except only 1. Only 1 got very lucky because he had parents make sure he got BSL (in UK) and speak at same time. Rest of us had speak only or speaking with mixure of SEE and sometimes SSE and even some of us had Cued Speech for few months.

THAT IS WHAT we're saying.. It goes around around around around...

Actually I'm having a fabulous weekend Jillio, thank you for asking. The only one who ever seems to want to fight with half the people on this forum is you. Do you not see the common denominator in the threads that take on a nasty tone?

You were the one who so tastefully called my child remarkable. When I was questioned about how that came to be, my response was that he had ongoing access to language and that HE is smart. It's not strictly because we've used SEE.

Yep, I see the common denominator. Audist hearing parents that want to tell the deaf what is best for them. In short, sweetie, people like you. Otherwise, these discussion remain very productive and civil. No one but hearing parents that think they know it all and want to use their children as a shield ever get personally insulting around here. And then, when they get back what they put out, they cry "foul".

Exactly!!!! That is what we are trying to tell these parents who think they have found all the answers with their under 5 kids. Just wait. They just don't get it.

Thank you for getting inside my head. Your right. I know it all.

Evidently you don't know the difference between "your" and "you're". So much for an accurate representation of English.:cool2:

Beowulf, I don't know if another hearing parent has claimed to know more than "the deaf" but I know I have never claimed that, nor do I think it.

PFH I acknowledged pages back that ASL is a faster way of communicating in sign. I've never disagreed with that point.

CSign, I hasten to add that I am not attacking you personally. I KNOW your child is doing brilliantly with SEE. No surprise there, since children tend to excel and any mode of language. BUT...there will come a time when the language becomes cumbersome What then? Does the child have to take a flying leap across the chasm? What then? Where will all the concern from hearing folk help? Sorry if I sound like I am ranting and foaming, but I see this all too often.

CSign, I hasten to add that I am not attacking you personally. I KNOW your child is doing brilliantly with SEE. No surprise there, since children tend to excel and any mode of language. BUT...there will come a time when the language becomes cumbersome What then? Does the child have to take a flying leap across the chasm? What then? Where will all the concern from hearing folk help? Sorry if I sound like I am ranting and foaming, but I see this all too often.

We all see it too often, and we all see it happening again and again and again. It is sad, because in the end, it is not the parent that believes they are soooo right and have found some miracle tool, but the child that pays the price.

Evidently you don't know the difference between "your" and "you're". So much for an accurate representation of English.:cool2:

Jillio, tsk tsk. We all make mistakes. Hint: "it's." :giggle:

Not just me, and not by you. My post wasn't directed at you, specifically, but in general. There are many closed threads here that show animosity towards us by some parents because of our sharing stories of our childhoods, sign language being some of the them.

Jillio, tsk tsk. We all make mistakes. Hint: "it's." :giggle:

Yeah, but I don't claim to be using SEE to model accurate English for my child.:giggle: If those mistakes are made in typing, what about signing? Takes longer to sign it in SEE, and more effort as well, than it does in typing.

Not just me, and not by you. My post wasn't directed at you, specifically, but in general. There are many closed threads here that show animosity towards us by some parents because of our sharing stories of our childhoods, sign language being some of the them.

Yeppers. And to hear some tell it, I am responsible for getting them all closed.:laugh2:

...I never enjoyed reading (and to this day) and I BLAME SEE for this. When the reading class were going on, i was confused as fuck because of the interpreters.
During reading class, were students and the teacher reading aloud? What exactly were the interpreters doing during reading class?

I'm very interested because sometimes I have to interpret oral readings during English classes. I've never felt satisfied with the way things go during those times. I'm open to suggestions.

During reading class, were students and the teacher reading aloud? What exactly were the interpreters doing during reading class?

I'm very interested because sometimes I have to interpret oral readings during English classes. I've never felt satisfied with the way things go during those times. I'm open to suggestions.

That would be a tough situation. Stuck between interpreting in ASL for context and comprehension, or in English for demonstration of language mechanics.

That would be a tough situation. Stuck between interpreting in ASL for context and comprehension, or in English for demonstration of language mechanics.
If the emphasis of the reading is on content, such as a story telling time, that's one way to go. But when the emphasis is on grammar or word choice or literary technique, then it's tough. That's another example of what I mean by using different teaching techniques for hearing and deaf students.

Mainstreaming isn't all that.

Jillio I most certainly know the difference between "your" and "you're" what you saw was a perfect example of my phone automatically changing the word, and me not reading the post before I hit reply.

Outlandish claims? Sure. Ok.

Reba, what YOU'RE describing is a part of why SEE was created in the first place. Sometimes it is necessary to use SEE to convey English grammar for various reasons.

Alleycat, I stand by what I said. In all sincerity I'm sorry you feel that way.

And I'm sorry someone said something that made you feel like you couldn't or shouldn't express yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back