SEE is a language... It's English...

Status
Not open for further replies.
My voice and hands say the same thing. Why? Because I committed to it. I agree that some people do provide conflicting information with their voice and hands. The only way to remedy that is by practice.

Unfortuantely, you don't seem to understand that while you intend for them to say the same thing, the receiver's brain does not process the information the same.

Please answer the above questions.

I wouldn't say SEE is responsible for all of that. I would have to give my son credit as well because he is smart and takes it all in. I am able to sign at the same pace as my voice, without compromising the integrity of either. And yes, I use all the prepositions, endings etc. In order to give a complete visual representation of what I'm saying. It didn't happen overnight. I took classes, studied, and use it everyday. That is how I was able to get to where I'm at today. I'm well read, and have researched all sides of this.

Sorry, there is no way on this earth that you can sign SEE as rapidly as you vocalize the same message. I doubt seriously that you are using SEE. You are no doubt using PSE.

I wouldn't say SEE is responsible for all of that. I would have to give my son credit as well because he is smart and takes it all in. I am able to sign at the same pace as my voice, without compromising the integrity of either. And yes, I use all the prepositions, endings etc. In order to give a complete visual representation of what I'm saying. It didn't happen overnight. I took classes, studied, and use it everyday. That is how I was able to get to where I'm at today. I'm well read, and have researched all sides of this.

If you're well read - can you tell me what linguistics criteria that SEE meets in order to be a language on its own?

Jillio, all due respect... You haven't the slightest idea as to my knowledge. But thanks for the opinion. I always have been, and always will be open to new information. I just will not have someone tell me what I'm doing is wrong or ineffective when I have seen the opposite.

Sorry, there is no way on this earth that you can sign SEE as rapidly as you vocalize the same message. I doubt seriously that you are using SEE. You are no doubt using PSE.

I have to agree with you there.

Jillio, all due respect... You haven't the slightest idea as to my knowledge. But thanks for the opinion. I always have been, and always will be open to new information. I just will not have someone tell me what I'm doing is wrong or ineffective when I have seen the opposite.

But... But... You won't answer my questions?

Actually, you have indicated the level of your knowledge in the posts you have made.

No one is telling you that. They are telling you, based on years of personal experience and controlled experimental findings, what addresses the needs of a deaf child fully and most beneficially as a fully functioning individual.

Another question for you --

What does my avatar says? It's slower than people speaking...

I am no doubt not using PSE. I would never use PSE with a child who is learning language, as it is not a complete representation of any language be it ASL or English. PFH, thank you for acknowledging that I am using sign with my child. Jillio, not sure what question I didn't respond to. I don't have any studies with me right now, but I would be more than happy to reference some later if that is what you are looking for.

I am no doubt not using PSE. I would never use PSE with a child who is learning language, as it is not a complete representation of any language be it ASL or English. PFH, thank you for acknowledging that I am using sign with my child. Jillio, not sure what question I didn't respond to. I don't have any studies with me right now, but I would be more than happy to reference some later if that is what you are looking for.

my avatar?

Then tell me, how do you indicate past tense in SEE, and how do you indicate present future tense in SEE? How about "to be". The sign for the word "the"?

And, do you slow your voice down to accommodate all of these additions?

I'd love to see your references.

Why is it that ASL does not make use of intialized signs, but SEE does? There is really a very simple and valid reason for that.
There were several questions in a previous post. Scroll back.

Neither SEE1, nor SEE2, nor Signed English are languages, just as neither Morse Code, nor rebus, nor semaphore signaling are languages. They are all modes, or ways, of representing English.

The whole chain of SEE systems and offshoots didn't even begin until the mid-1960's. Obviously, deaf people were signing in a language prior to then. That language in the United States and parts of Canada was, and is, ASL.

Then tell me, how do you indicate past tense in SEE, and how do you indicate present future tense in SEE? How about "to be". The sign for the word "the"?

And, do you slow your voice down to accommodate all of these additions?

I'd love to see your references.

Why is it that you think ASL does not make use of intialized signs, but SEE does?

There were several questions in a previous post. Scroll back.

They could youtube a demonstration. Then I will post my video of me making coffee. Or not.

Neither SEE1, nor SEE2, nor Signed English are languages, just as neither Morse Code, nor rebus, nor semaphore signaling are languages. They are all modes, or ways, of representing English.

The whole chain of SEE systems and offshoots didn't even begin until the mid-1960's. Obviously, deaf people were signing in a language prior to then. That language in the United States and parts of Canada was, and is, ASL.

And by 1979 there was sufficient research to support that lack of usefullness of the MCEs. And I might mention, since it was brought up, a TC ed environment does not use SEE. They use PSE. All it takes is 5 minutes observation to determine that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back