Schools Fight Families Over Autism Service Dogs

it's actually that simple. think big picture - get it certified by state or local government and problem's solved.

Read the law on that. Not required at all.

it's actually that simple. think big picture - get it certified by state or local government and problem's solved.

I know of no such place to do this currently.

I'd love to know as I have mobility and blood sugar issues...

I have trained a service dog (socialization/obedience) and I think that my curent do is too large and too timid to help, but in the future I may want assistance.

Last edited:
Read the law on that. Not required at all.

let's see....

Service Dog Certification and Materials
It's the Law
Disabled people with service animals must be allowed access to all public accommodations. This right takes precedence over all state and local laws which might otherwise prohibit animals in those places.

Establishments must never ask disabled guests to show proof of disability -- or require proof that their service animals are somehow "certified." Nor can they restrict disabled guests and their service animals to certain areas.

Establishments may reject a service animal if it is aggressive, unsafe or disruptive (e.g., excessive or prolonged barking).

Service animal owners may also be charged for any damages caused by them or their service animals.

then...... why are people required to show the proof of their disability for parking? and why are students required to show the proof of their disability for accommodation service? :hmm:

I'm not saying that people are required to show the proof of their disability when it comes to service animal but it's just to eliminate legal headache. It's your choice to take an easy route or hard way. Getting your dog certified or "Service Dog" identification is the easiest way for everybody.

let's see....

then...... why are people required to show the proof of their disability for parking? and why are students required to show the proof of their disability for accommodation service? :hmm:

I'm not saying that people are required to show the proof of their disability when it comes to service animal but it's just to eliminate legal headache. It's your choice to take an easy route or hard way. Getting your dog certified or "Service Dog" identification is the easiest way for everybody.

The government link that I posted says absolutely not required. No, No No.

While it doesn't explicitly state the dog is a "certified service animal", if you read the article in it's entirety you'll see that the dog functions on more than one level for the child. I recall reading that the service animal must assist in at least two areas for it to be considered a service dog. So, in the case referenced at the start of this thread, it is a service dog.

So, you are just making assumptions again. Incorrect ones, as well.

Not every area or type of service dog has certification guidelines. And certification guidelines between different trainers/organizations can vary widely.

In addition, some dogs *can* be trained at home (though it is often better when done by or with the guidance of a professional) and, because of the home-training, might be less likely to be certified. Let's say you've trained this uncertified dog to alert you to a changing blood sugar or an impending seizure or something. If it does its job reliably without being unruly, defecating inside, biting everything in sight, etc, it's not less of a service dog just because it's not certified.

And that is why the distinction is made between a "service animal" and a "companion animal".

I know of no such place to do this currently.

I'd love to know as I have mobility and blood sugar issues...

I have trained a service dog (socialization/obedience) and I think that my curent do is too large and too timid to help, but in the future I may want assistance.

Is your dog readily identifiable as a service animal when you are out in public, or do you simply walk around with the dog on a leash?

I have worked with several blind students, and a student with MS that all used service dogs. When out in public, all dogs wore a vest that identified them immediately as a service animal, and all dogs were trained by reliable agencies. Additionally, the dogs periodically underwent refresher training to insure that not only could they perform services specific to that individual, but that they maintained their training regarding public behavior when out in public areas with the individual for whom they worked.

let's see....

Unless you are lucky enough to get a guide-dog that failed to become a guide for some reason... there is no way to do this. (often they have their own mobility or hearing/vision issues to fail out entirely)

Nobody runs around passing out pretty pictures of your dog in harness/coat with a description of what he/she mitigates and how long he/she was trained, and his/her last evaluation was.

Now I -do- have such from Jack the guide dog in training I was socializing, but it is not law and nobody runs around doing that... no body has the credentials to do that... the school has the credentials but they are not going to take on additional liability to do house dogs...

Who is going to do this?!

Is your dog readily identifiable as a service animal when you are out in public, or do you simply walk around with the dog on a leash?

I have worked with several blind students, and a student with MS that all used service dogs. When out in public, all dogs wore a vest that identified them immediately as a service animal, and all dogs were trained by reliable agencies. Additionally, the dogs periodically underwent refresher training to insure that not only could they perform services specific to that individual, but that they maintained their training regarding public behavior when out in public areas with the individual for whom they worked.

In that post I pointed out the current dog is unsuitable for work- I have trained (that's general obedience and socialization) one Guide Dog- (the real training of when to cross or not cross a street or when to disobey was later)

And know the whole procedure as I entered into it while helping a friend with her guide dog. (refresher training eventual retirement of that dog, placement and retraining of the human partner for the new dog...)

Not enough schools, too many people qualified for service dogs can't get them...

The schools all place the dogs after sinking $10,000 approx in training, the harness/vest, the kenneling and all vetting up to nearly 3 years of age for free...

They rely on the government, the community and the gifts of the local community.

Fidelco http://www.fidelco.org/index.html
Southeastern Guide Dog Southeastern Guide Dogs - Home

are the two I have worked with.

Villa Grove, Ill. - Nichelle Drew says getting her autistic son Kaleb ready for school used to be a nightmare.

"It used to take me thirty minutes or more, of chasing him, and him screaming, and not wanting to get dressed, and not wanting to go," said Mrs. Drew.

Seven-year-old Kaleb has autism. He had tantrums and sleep problems at home, and would sometimes wander away from school.

Last year, the family purchased "Chewey," a specially trained Labrador retriever who experts said would help with his disability. The cost? About thirteen thousand dollars. Kaleb's mom says his behavior quickly improved.

"If Kaleb has a really bad spell, if he gets really upset and throws himself on the floor, he knows how to calm him," she said. "He lays on him, gives him deep pressure, and it instantly calms him."

But as Fox Chicago News reported last year, local school leaders claimed the dog was merely a "comfort animal," not a "service dog," and could not accompany Kaleb to school.

The case ended up in the courts. Now, an Illinois appellate court has decided that Chewey can accompany Kaleb to school because "Chewey is a service animal individually trained to perform tasks" for the boy's benefit.

"As long as the dog is showing benefit and doing a job, to help that child," she said, "then that dog can go anywhere that child goes."

Margie Wakelin is an attorney with Equip for Equality who represented the Drew family.

She believes this is the highest court ever to decide that autistic children should be allowed to use service animals in schools.

"So not just students who are blind, or students who are hearing impaired, but all students with a disability who benefit from a service animal are entitled to have that service animal with them in their school." Wakelin said.

The school district argued that Chewey's presence would be disruptive, cause problems for allergic children, and require additional staffing. Over the last year, however, while waiting for the court decision, Chewey has been going to the school, and Mrs. Drew says there have been no major problems.

"The children have accepted the system that he is a working dog and that he's not to be touched and not to be played with, better than adults do," she said, "so he's just part of the classroom, and they accept him as that now."

The school district, through it's attorney Brandon Wright, declined to discuss the recent ruling."

*Dog Helps Autistic Boy in School

In that post I pointed out the current dog is unsuitable for work- I have trained (that's general obedience and socialization) one Guide Dog- (the real training of when to cross or not cross a street or when to disobey was later)

And know the whole procedure as I entered into it while helping a friend with her guide dog. (refresher training eventual retirement of that dog, placement and retraining of the human partner for the new dog...)

Not enough schools, too many people qualified for service dogs can't get them...

The schools all place the dogs after sinking $10,000 approx in training, the harness/vest, the kenneling and all vetting up to nearly 3 years of age for free...

They rely on the government, the community and the gifts of the local community.

Fidelco http://www.fidelco.org/index.html
Southeastern Guide Dog Southeastern Guide Dogs - Home

are the two I have worked with.

Thanks for the link. Our prison system is currently running a program whereby prisoners that were found suitable for the work are given a dog to train for service. The dog lives with them and is trained according to specific guidelines for service dogs. When the dogs have finished training, they are placed with a person in need for free, and the inmate gets another dog, and the process is repeated. They are having a lot of success. The MS student I referred to (mobility issues when walking) had a dog trained in this program, and I was very impressed with the animal's behavior. I could really detect no difference in the dog's responses than in the dogs that were trained by agencies. Of course, the inmates had to undergo training regarding the methods of training the dogs, etc. before they were allowed to undertake training an animal.

Villa Grove, Ill. - Nichelle Drew says getting her autistic son Kaleb ready for school used to be a nightmare.

"It used to take me thirty minutes or more, of chasing him, and him screaming, and not wanting to get dressed, and not wanting to go," said Mrs. Drew.

Seven-year-old Kaleb has autism. He had tantrums and sleep problems at home, and would sometimes wander away from school.

Last year, the family purchased "Chewey," a specially trained Labrador retriever who experts said would help with his disability. The cost? About thirteen thousand dollars. Kaleb's mom says his behavior quickly improved.

"If Kaleb has a really bad spell, if he gets really upset and throws himself on the floor, he knows how to calm him," she said. "He lays on him, gives him deep pressure, and it instantly calms him."

But as Fox Chicago News reported last year, local school leaders claimed the dog was merely a "comfort animal," not a "service dog," and could not accompany Kaleb to school.

The case ended up in the courts. Now, an Illinois appellate court has decided that Chewey can accompany Kaleb to school because "Chewey is a service animal individually trained to perform tasks" for the boy's benefit.

"As long as the dog is showing benefit and doing a job, to help that child," she said, "then that dog can go anywhere that child goes."

Margie Wakelin is an attorney with Equip for Equality who represented the Drew family.

She believes this is the highest court ever to decide that autistic children should be allowed to use service animals in schools.

"So not just students who are blind, or students who are hearing impaired, but all students with a disability who benefit from a service animal are entitled to have that service animal with them in their school." Wakelin said.

The school district argued that Chewey's presence would be disruptive, cause problems for allergic children, and require additional staffing. Over the last year, however, while waiting for the court decision, Chewey has been going to the school, and Mrs. Drew says there have been no major problems.

"The children have accepted the system that he is a working dog and that he's not to be touched and not to be played with, better than adults do," she said, "so he's just part of the classroom, and they accept him as that now."

The school district, through it's attorney Brandon Wright, declined to discuss the recent ruling."

*Dog Helps Autistic Boy in School

At home and at school. Not in a store.

This case involves a $13,000 dog with specific training for specific behaviors. The behavors described could lead to self injury. What you don't seem to realize is that a decision in one specific case does not lead to the same decision in another case. ADA law is interpreted on a case by case basis. The specifics of the case and the way the law applies is not universal.

At home and at school. Not in a store.

This case involves a $13,000 dog with specific training for specific behaviors. The behavors described could lead to self injury. What you don't seem to realize is that a decision in one specific case does not lead to the same decision in another case. ADA law is interpreted on a case by case basis. The specifics of the case and the way the law applies is not universal.

School is what the original post was about- not a store. The store came into play when another article was shared. You stated that the dog was not a service dog. I've clarified that for you. A ruling in a specific case makes no guarantees about future cases, but it absolutely does set a precedent.

School is what the original post was about- not a store. The store came into play when another article was shared. You stated that the dog was not a service dog. I've clarified that for you. A ruling in a specific case makes no guarantees about future cases, but it absolutely does set a precedent.

No, all that ruling means is that the case that was ruled on found that one dog to be a service dog. It doesn't say anything at all about this case.

Given what has been said regarding this child's situation, it fits the criteria of a companion dog.

Because the dog you are referring to is a companion animal. Obviously you still do not understand the difference.:dunno2:

For easy reference...

Hopefully you understand the difference now :dunno2:

No, all that ruling means is that the case that was ruled on found that one dog to be a service dog. It doesn't say anything at all about this case.

Given what has been said regarding this child's situation, it fits the criteria of a companion dog.

The dog was already an established service dog- why do you keep fighting that fact? What came into question was whether or not the school was going to allow for that service dog to come with the child to school. That was the point of contention, and that family along with others prevailed.

Because it was a service dog, not a companion animal.

Edit to add: the article I just provided is in direct reference to the case mentioned in the original post. Same family :)

For easy reference...

Hopefully you understand the difference now :dunno2:

What easy reference?
The dog you are referring to in this case has not been deemed a service animal by the courts.

I know you hate to deal with the petty details, but they do matter, whether you ignore them or not.

Likewise, you can't cite ADA findings regarding this case, because it is Canada.

The dog was already an established service dog- why do you keep fighting that fact? What came into question was whether or not the school was going to allow for that service dog to come with the child to school. That was the point of contention, and that family along with others prevailed.

Because it was a service dog, not a companion animal.

Edit to add: the article I just provided is in direct reference to the case mentioned in the original post. Same family :)

Certification papers? Why wasn't the dog wearing a vest?

OP, yes. This kid in a store....no. If you would take greater care to stick to the topic, and not bring in unrelated references. you would not get so confused.

Back