Schools Fight Families Over Autism Service Dogs

It is NOT a reasonable job for a dog to 24/7 be a parent... that's what parents are for...

Tethering anything to a dog is dangerous... even well trained dogs can have off days...

so sparky decides he's fast enough to get across the street to chase a rabbit... to bad tethered child Tommy is scared of the color -Purple- and there is a -purple- chalk drawing in the middle of the street that Tommy won't cross... has a meltdown... in a road...

Speaking of therapy, R/C cars can help.

We have several different problems:

Are service animals appropriate for children (my opinion no)

Should any service animal be tethered to a human (my opinion no)

Is autism a disability that can be mitigated by a trained service dog (yes, on a case-by-case basis)

Is a dog a life threatening allergen? (The ADA does not recognize allergies as preclusion for service animals)

Should a service animal handler be able to diminish discomfort of others, clean up after, and care for their animal... (in 99% cases, yes- alone and w/o supervision - the other 1% are the persons pared with the monkeys due to severe quadriplegia )

The word, "ironic" appears multiple times within the lyrics.

I never said this was, "my taste in music"... That song just popped in my head after I read the prior post.

I meant "appropriately"- my spelling defects made the computer choose the wrong word. Sorry.

The word, "ironic" appears multiple times within the lyrics.

I never said this was, "my taste in music"... That song just popped in my head after I read the prior post.

Songs that "pop" in our heads are generally those they we have listened to repeatedly. Just sayin'.

Songs that "pop" in our heads are generally those they we have listened to repeatedly. Just sayin'.

Thriller, Jingle bells and Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer are the only songs I can recognize. I listened to Thriller so many times that I can recognize it even years later. It always begins with a scream.

And my fashion style is influenced by bands. I doubt I'm the only deaf one who doesn't know the songs but copies from rock bands.

Thriller, Jingle bells and Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer are the only songs I can recognize. I listened to Thriller so many times that I can recognize it even years later. It always begins with a scream.

And my fashion style is influenced by bands. I doubt I'm the only deaf one who doesn't know the songs but copies from rock bands.

I doubt you are either. CSign just said that this wasn't necessarily her taste, but the song just "popped" into her head. Those things that "pop" into our consciousness that way are generally things we are familiar with.

I doubt you are either. CSign just said that this wasn't necessarily her taste, but the song just "popped" into her head. Those things that "pop" into our consciousness that way are generally things we are familiar with.

Yeah. I tend to like the macabre and oddly enough Christmas songs which is a strange combination of tastes. :P

She could be familiar with it for a number of reasons including it being played frequently over the sound system someplace where she goes often.

She could be familiar with it for a number of reasons including it being played frequently over the sound system someplace where she goes often.

That is generally not enough exposure for the type of recall exhibited and claimed.

You have a very good point. I'm really not sure why some are so insistent on the fact that is "my type of music" or whatever. I always pay close attention to lyrics, and will often think of different songs during different situations. Doesn't mean I necessarily like the song or the artist, just that the message is relevant.

You have a very good point. I'm really not sure why some are so insistent on the fact that is "my type of music" or whatever. I always pay close attention to lyrics, and will often think of different songs during different situations. Doesn't mean I necessarily like the song or the artist, just that the message is relevant.

But the deaf generally don't so your reference was a bit innappropriate, as they have tried to tell you.

I get a lot of FB statuses from my hearing friends about the lyrics they can relate to to their everyday lives. To this day, I dont get it. I like music but I was never able to understand the lyrics like my hearing friends could as a kid. They were able to relate them to real life situations while I spent just memorizing them so I could be like them. They held absulotely no meaning for me.

ASL (which is my 2nd language I became fluent at around 28 years old) poetry held much much more meaning to me.

When the North Star Foundation places a dog with a child with autism, our primary emphasis is on appropriate early socialization. This means the puppy is subjected to experiences that simulate the experience he/she will have with the child. Our strongest commitment is to finding the optimal fit between child and dog. We put considerable energy into teaching the child to interact with the dog in ways that enhance bonding. Because the quality of the relationship matters more than any other variable, it is essential that early interactions are supervised, more so than might be necessary for an adult with mobility problems.

often refer applicants to Canine Companions

Service Dog Placements for Children with Autism

These are companion dogs used to address behavioral and neurological issues found with autism. The goal is to teach bonding using an animal and then transfer those skills to interaction with other people.

Quite different that the goal and purpose of a service dog. As beneficial, in different circumstances and application, yes. The same, no.

Yet your link ^^^ says "Service Dog" Perhaps your link is wrong too. :dunno:

Service Dog Placements for Children with Autism

Creating a service dog placement for a child with autism differs from creating placements between service dogs and physically challenged adults. From puppy hood on, the philosophy of training the dog and the timetable for placement has to be tailored to the unique needs of the child and move in tandem with the dog's natural development.

In traditional service animal programs, dogs are placed with human partners when the dogs are approximately two years of age, and they arrive fully trained. New owners learn handling skills within the space of two or three weeks. At North Star, we create placements when the dog is still a puppy, in order to facilitate the strongest bond possible, and to insure the dog's training matches the child's needs.

Last edited:
CSign - is this dog certified as service dog?

Uhhh...did you see the "quite different" in front of my reference to a service dog?:roll: Read carefully.

Did you see your link that says service? THAT is what I referred to.

Last edited:
A service animal need not be certified by anybody according to the ADA...

It would be nice if they did and certificate-people were paid by the government to run around and given certs out to home-trained dogs.

Back