School counselor causing problems with me taking ASL classes!

H.o.H_Angel

Reaction score
Well, as some of you know I am H.o.H and have been since I was little. Some of you know I never got the chance to learn ASL, until now. I spoke with my counselor at school. She said, that with my major I don't need to take ASL. The counselor refuses to allow me to take the class because she says it does not go with my major.It makes no sense,I mean I am paying out of my own pocket, and I should have the right to take what ever classes I need or want. The counselor is aware I am H.o.H, and that I need this class. I've been fighting to get my ASL classes for next semester, for about a week or two now. I think I finally made a breakthrough. I made multiple attempts to try to reach any of the ASL teachers on campus,but i could never get to them in time. They do not have offices on campus which means no office hours. Yesterday I finally made it in time to catch a class that was in progress. During their break I walked in, and explained to the teacher what was going on. She wrote me a note. The note was saying that she wants me in the class and for me to give it to my consular, so they have to put me in. I am also going to get my doctor to sign a note as well. This is not right for them to do this to me. Unfortunately I can not turn them in, until this Sept. 28; that is my next appointment with my new consular. Until then, I wait with anticipation. Please wish me luck. :/

Last edited:
Is this for high school or college?

I guess I'm not understanding why you can't just enroll yourself?

I am in college and I can not enroll myself because if I go over my required class units, the school will automatically drop the class without warning. :/

The word, "consular" is for embassy officials......

I do not quite understand. Did I spell it wrong? That is how it is spelled on the folder they gave me. :/

How about counselor? As in advisors....if it, in fact, says "consular" on your folder, that'd be news to me.

At any rate, best wishes to you....

How about counselor? As in advisors....if it, in fact, says "consular" on your folder, that'd be news to me.

At any rate, best wishes to you....

hhmm maybe it is a typo, but yes counselor is what it was suppose to say. Thank you for the luck.

:(

I know, and I want to go to a better college. I can not transfer, until 2014 they said.

I believe it should be counselor in English, but perhaps is spelled differently in another language.

I can't remember if I even talked to a counselor in college or perhaps I thought they just didn't exist.

Obviously, you should be taking ASL as an elective (they usually have one or two classes not directly related to the degree). The problem, as I understand it, is that the counselor believes the credits will not apply to the degree. This is an elective issue and they have rules about which classes constitute a degree. They can't break the rules for one student, I'm guessing. I don't think they are trying to obstruct you so much as being fair to other students.

You will probably get the class included, but if you can't there is no reason you can't take it outside of your degree, as long as you can afford it.

I believe it should be counselor in English, but perhaps is spelled differently in another language.

I can't remember if I even talked to a counselor in college or perhaps I thought they just didn't exist.

Obviously, you should be taking ASL as an elective (they usually have one or two classes not directly related to the degree). The problem, as I understand it, is that the counselor believes the credits will not apply to the degree. This is an elective issue and they have rules about which classes constitute a degree. They can't break the rules for one student, I'm guessing. I don't think they are trying to obstruct you so much as being fair to other students.

You will probably get the class included, but if you can't there is no reason you can't take it outside of your degree, as long as you can afford it.

Well, that is the thing. I am taking Liberal Arts;which, is a little bit of everything. So any class outside my SEP (Student Education Plan) should be added on my degree. I am way under the required maximum credits for classes, so I should be able to take more classes. I am 15 units. The minimum for my degree is 60; the maximum units is 90. Oh and I do speak any other language. I just copied the word off their binder. It's too early for me to be thinking clearly.

That sounds like a very dictatorial college. They don't let you take extra classes, and you can't transfer until 2014? Wow! I've attended and worked at several colleges in the USA, and I've never heard of such policies. The only thing close to those restrictions is attending very specific degree or certificate programs, or specific scholarships or grants. Liberal arts doesn't usually fall into those categories.

That sounds like a very dictatorial college. They don't let you take extra classes, and you can't transfer until 2014? Wow! I've attended and worked at several colleges in the USA, and I've never heard of such policies. The only thing close to those restrictions is attending very specific degree or certificate programs, or specific scholarships or grants. Liberal arts doesn't usually fall into those categories.

When I first started taking my piano classes,and my CNA class; they did not give them to me either. I complained, and was persistent. After a month, I was finally able to take them. I am not on any of the grants at the school. I am paying all out of my own pocket, until next year.

Well, that is the thing. I am taking Liberal Arts;which, is a little bit of everything. So any class outside my SEP (Student Education Plan) should be added on my degree. I am way under the required maximum credits for classes, so I should be able to take more classes. I am 15 units. The minimum for my degree is 60; the maximum units is 90. Oh and I do speak any other language. I just copied the word off their binder. It's too early for me to be thinking clearly.

It would seem then that the issue may be whether ASL is considered a language or literature class which, "the university" has decided is creditable or not.

On the contrary, Liberal Arts is not a little bit of everything, it is specifically either a Bachelor of Arts or a Bachelor of Science degree.

When I first started taking my piano classes,and my CNA class; they did not give them to me either. I complained, and was persistent. After a month, I was finally able to take them. I am not on any of the grants at the school. I am paying all out of my own pocket, until next year.
Then I would suggest, as a strong consumer move, take your money elsewhere. Spend it at a college that is more agreeable to your desires. Colleges are a business.

It would seem then that the issue may be whether ASL is considered a language or literature class which, "the university" has decided is creditable or not.

On the contrary, Liberal Arts is not a little bit of everything, it is specifically either a Bachelor of Arts or a Bachelor of Science degree.

The only languages the school offers are: Spanish, ASL, and French. Nothing else. They said that the languages are transferable, so I would assume they are creditable, if they can transfer. We have 3 different categories of Liberal Arts: Arts and Humanities, Social Science, and Liberal Studies.

Then I would suggest, as a strong consumer move, take your money elsewhere. Spend it at a college that is more agreeable to your desires. Colleges are a business.

I want to leave,but they will not give me my transcripts until 2014. If I leave now, it will bring my GPA down. I will not be able to get into another college, if my GPA drops. I have really good grades in my classes, and if I left now I would have to start all over again. It would feel like I wasted my time, and money that I spent there. :(

I want to leave,but they will not give me my transcripts until 2014. If I leave now, it will bring my GPA down. I will not be able to get into another college, if my GPA drops. I have really good grades in my classes, and if I left now I would have to start all over again. It would feel like I wasted my time, and money that I spent there. :(

This doesn't add up. They can't deny your transcripts. You just have them sent on to whatever college you transfer to.

It isn't legal to withhold your transcripts.

The reasons you are giving here are complete nonsense.

This doesn't add up. They can't deny your transcripts. You just have them sent on to whatever college you transfer to.

It isn't legal to withhold your transcripts.

The reasons you are giving here are complete nonsense.

That is everything the admissions and counselor's office told me. Should I try going to the School District you think?

Back