Rush is moving to Costa Rica?

Status
Not open for further replies.
1. Jay Leno's show
2. there was a documentary show which I cannot remember but an interviewer went around to get some idea on where we are in terms of knowledge. Even a Harvard student got it wrong.
3. Education Week: U.S. History Knowledge

4. College Seniors Lack Basic Knowledge in American History

5. Study shows US College students have inadequate knowledge of American history and institutions

6. Americans don't know civics

need more? you should know better that Jiro does not make unfounded stereotype :)

That's sad...

Even I know those things...

Part of the problem is that Americans have been through to push the public health care since the '50s, right? Every time liberals are in office, they try to push the healthcare thing through the door and get rejected every time. Shouldn't be a surprise they tried again; only difference is now that people are bitching about healthcare now-- hence the big debate now compared to the previous liberal presidents.

My opinion.....The country was ready for reform this time. But, having a large majority in both houses and a somewhat willing opponent the administration got greedy and came up with a plan to that was to big. The timing wasn't great either.

Part of the problem is that Americans have been trying to push the public healthcare since the '50s, right? Every time liberals are in office, they try to push the healthcare thing through the door and get rejected every time. Shouldn't be a surprise they tried again; only difference is now that people are bitching about high costs of private healthcare now-- hence the big debate now compared to the previous liberal presidents.

It is since 1930's, not 1950's because FDR tried to include public health care in Social Security but failed, that what I was remember from somewhere and need confirm it.

In 1950's, US government was conservative, during Ike Admin.

My opinion.....The country was ready for reform this time. But, having a large majority in both houses and a somewhat willing opponent the administration got greedy and came up with a plan to that was to big. The timing wasn't great either.

Yup, bipartisan is working so hard and not many of congresses would get along with other parties.

Oh I agree that we need health care reform....... I just don't like this plan, especially in this economy. I think we should give the cheap options a try first.

Yup, it does and cost of private insurance is very outraged, not surprised.

1. Jay Leno's show
2. there was a documentary show which I cannot remember but an interviewer went around to get some idea on where we are in terms of knowledge. Even a Harvard student got it wrong.
3. Education Week: U.S. History Knowledge

4. College Seniors Lack Basic Knowledge in American History

5. Study shows US College students have inadequate knowledge of American history and institutions

6. Americans don't know civics

need more? you should know better that Jiro does not make unfounded stereotype :)
OK, so a lot of Americans are frighteningly ignorant. That's no surprise, but you specifically attributed those qualities to Rush's listeners when you said...
and..... Rush Limbaugh's fans are those type
That is an unfounded stereotype. You should know better that darkdog does know better. :)

OK, so a lot of Americans are frighteningly ignorant. That's no surprise, but you specifically attributed those qualities to Rush's listeners when you said...
because they share similar fear and similar background.

That is an unfounded stereotype. You should know better that darkdog does know better. :)
so do you have something that disputes my statement?

What similar fear? What similar background are you talking about?

because they share similar fear and similar background.
I'm not sure what this has to do with fear. I thought we were talking about ignorant people. On what do you base your assumptions about Rush's audience other than unfounded stereotypes? All you've done is shown data about ignorance among the general population and attributed that to one specific sub-set: Rush listeners. Pretty unconvincing.

so do you have something that disputes my statement?
Yeah, although I didn't feel like finding it, so I got in my time machine and asked darkdog of last night to do it. Here's his response:

This poll found that Rush's listeners' knowledge is above average of the American public: Limbaugh Holds onto his Niche -- Conservative Men - Pew Research Center

It's not the most rigorous study in the world since they only asked three questions, but at least it's better than just going off unfounded stereotypes.

unfortunately.... quite a handful of "patriotic" Americans do not know much about it. That's why it's very easy to fear-monger those kind of people.
Only "patriotic" people don't know much? Was there a survey on that?

...I mean dude.... have you seen Jay Leno's "Jaywalking" segment? It's where he walks around and pick a random person to ask a basic history question. It's...... appalling. I'm a Korean immigrant who just recently became American citizen few years ago (but I lived here for over 25 years) and I know the American history better than probably 80% of Americans.

Here are some outrageous answers from his segment
1. Abraham Lincoln is American's first president
2. Some people thought we were at war with France (not Iraq)
3. Some people do not know how many stars we have on our American flag :roll:
4. Handful of them do not know what our American flag means (stars & stripes)
4. Handful of them did not know Al Gore was our VP
5. Handful of them were not able to identify the picture of politicians like Hillary Clinton

and..... Rush Limbaugh's fans are those type :roll:
Those examples you gave are from Jay Leno's show. As far as I know, he didn't ask the people on the street whether or not they were Rush Limbaugh fans, so how would you know that?

I'm not a fan of Rush but I think you are unfairly judging those who are. You aren't showing any kind of proof to document your accusations.

Where are your demographic studies to back up your statement?

my goodness! Did Jay ask them if they know Rush Limbaugh?

how can people NOT know who Clinton or Gore if they are Rush's Fans???? because isn't that what conservative talk shows do? Talk about Liberals? More likely these people are just not interested in politics or history at all.

I don't listen to Rush either (I'm deaf so it doesn't matter) But from reading his articles, I don't really care about his opinions.

It was one example. Treating it as a hypothetical......Maybe the have a son or daughter serving and they do it to support them. I would think they deserve to fly it even if they think they Gettysburg address was George Washington's summer home. Maybe they fly it because it keeps the sun from creating a glare on the TV. Point? I don't think you should look down on people who fly the flag because of their knowledge of history, but maybe for their reason. With the way things are going I am just glad to see the flag is still flying

This is all irrelevant now because because Jiro did not intend for this to be a hypothetical.

Point: no one is looking down on anyone. That is the entire point that was being made. Simply stating a fact of demographics is not a judgement. It is simply fact.

Exhorbitant? Hardly. I read and listen to alot of other personalities.

There in lies the problem. Entertainment personalities are meant to entertain. Not the most credible source for reliable and accurate political information.

Boy, has this thread taken a right (no pun intended) turn!:lol:

So....how about old Rush moving out of the country?

Point: no one is looking down on anyone. That is the entire point that was being made. Simply stating a fact of demographics is not a judgement. It is simply fact.

Again, you are failing to qualify. Those ratings only apply to radio listeners. Surveys indicate that the majority of radio listeners are senior citizens, have been educated only to the high school level, and generally are not well informed regarding political issues. We already know he is popular with that demographic. The ratings still don't give the entire picture. Nice attempt to manipulate numbers, but it isn't working.

Oh of course, that is no judgement at all.

Oh of course, that is no judgement at all.

Actually, it isn't a judgement. It is a demographic fact. There is no judgement attached to it at all.

But, since you seem to think that it is a judgement, please take time to explain wherein the judgement lies.

Actually, it isn't a judgement. It is a demographic fact. There is no judgement attached to it at all.

But, since you seem to think that it is a judgement, please take time to explain wherein the judgement lies.

And the relevance of stating that demographic in this thread is?

And the relevance of stating that demographic in this thread is?

Scroll back. It is very clear what the relevance was.

So, you are now in agreement that it wasn't a judgement?

Scroll back. It is very clear what the relevance was.
?

Hmm I don't need to scroll back....I have an incredible memory. I don't see how stating the demographic is relevant if it is not a judgement. I believe there was a clear implication. You are entitled to your opinion.

Hmm I don't need to scroll back....I have an incredible memory. I don't see how stating the demographic is relevant if it is not a judgement. I believe there was a clear implication. You are entitled to your opinion.
Well, then...that incredible memory should have already answered the question for you. But, since you seem to have a problem understanding the intent, here is another explanation for you:
It was stated in order to show bias and the fact that ratings are very biased due to the very nature of the data. The demographic was used to indicate the limitations of source of information. No implication at all, no matter what you believe. But it is very interesting that you seem to take such a personal affront at something that is nothing more than demographic fact.:hmm:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back