Running over the Fiscal Cliff

It would be hard to say, Grummer.

Certainly hard to say without turning this from a thread about current events into a thread about politics.

Aaannd - I better stop right there :wave:.

I see this as just temporary. New date of fiscal cliff is at the end of March.

Meaning they have not fully resolved yet.

Could be that the negotiations are just going to dig another hole in the terrain at a 3 month distance.

Tripping Over the Can? Kicking the Can Again & It gets Stuck on Our Foot?

I don't know . . . seems like Running Over the "Fiscal Cliff" is getting to be a little old & tired.

They didn't even kick it as far as 3 months!

I suppose there is something to be gained by delay, delay, delay. Like the 5 year-old who gets another 10 minutes playing with his donkeys and elephants if he can just get the parent back downstairs for a glass of water before turning off the bedroom light.

Mostly, I think, they don't want to share their toys (read "power") and just want to be left alone in their offices so as to meet with those people funding their campaigns.

Still, the more ruckus that they raise when they are forced to play together, the more obvious it is to the voters. And, if little gets done that has to be done, like cleaning their room . . . :mad:

Appointing & "serving on" blue ribbon commissions are just another way of delaying or asking to bring another toy to bed. Criticizing others' "inability to lead" is just saying "they won't accept my way so that I can agree with them." It gets old.

Yeah, this isn't the first time. My concern like you said, it is getting old. Is that if we getting tired of this bs which eventually could allow us get off guard and could be devastating. This is something we should avoid allow ourselves drop our guard.

Gee, I see why most don't want $250/300K as minimum threshold for paying more taxes they changed to $400/450, that way they don't have to pay more taxes... Damn congress! they earn between $250 and $400 But at least passed to avert the massive cuts and tax increases.
That proves that mostly Republicans think of themselves since they proposed that change because they don't want to pay more taxes like you said. I knew it. Wait and see if Obama will sign it or not.

What's up with payroll taxes increase for everybody? I watched TV news about that yesterday. What's more, they hold votes on spending cuts until later. When will they stop fucking around?

That proves that mostly Republicans think of themselves since they proposed that change because they don't want to pay more taxes like you said. I knew it. Wait and see if Obama will sign it or not.

What's up with payroll taxes increase for everybody? I watched TV news about that yesterday. What's more, they hold votes on spending cuts until later. When will they stop fucking around?

They way I heard it is the BIG tax increase won't happen for the middle class but the payroll (SS?) tax will go back up as that was just a 1 or two year decrease.

It is not a really proof. In order to prove, it has to be written in black n white.

I am not saying your wrong. It is pretty neither right or wrong.

It is not a really proof. In order to prove, it has to be written in black n white.

I am not saying your wrong. It is pretty neither right or wrong.
TV news said that Republicans wanted to change $250k to $400k so that's why the Senate passed it while they put spending cuts on hold.

Did they say why change from $250 to 400?

Obama wants starting threshold at $250 and I think 250K is a fair starting threshold and should increase based on COLA

The idea behind the $250K is that more people will have to pay higher taxes, since they changed to $400, meaning less people paying higher taxes and it affects government budget less :(

TV news said that Republicans wanted to change $250k to $400k so that's why the Senate passed it while they put spending cuts on hold.

Did they say why change from $250 to 400?

Obama wants starting threshold at $250 and I think 250K is a fair starting threshold and should increase based on COLA

The idea behind the $250K is that more people will have to pay higher taxes, since they changed to $400, meaning less people paying higher taxes and it affects government budget less :(
That's right.

Obama had vowed to raise tax rates for the top-earning 2% of Americans, including those with household income above $250,000 and individuals earning more than $200,000.
Raising the threshold for higher tax rates shrinks the number of Americans affected.
While nearly 2% of filers have adjusted gross incomes over $250,000, only 0.6% have incomes above $500,000, according to the Tax Policy Center.

Payroll taxes still set to go up
Despite the last-minute fiscal cliff agreements, Americans are still likely to see their paychecks shrink somewhat because of a separate battle over payroll taxes.
The government temporarily lowered the payroll tax rate in 2011 from 6.2% to 4.2% to put more money in the pockets of Americans. That adjustment, which has cost about $120 billion each year, expired Monday.
Now, Americans earning $30,000 a year will take home $50 less per month. Those earning $113,700 will lose $189.50 a month.
That means our paychecks will get smaller.

Angry rhetoric flew
In the tense days leading up to the deal, heated words flew between some Democrats and Republicans.
On Friday, after Democratic Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid accused Boehner of holding a "dictatorship" in his chamber, the House speaker responded with a profanity.
"Go f— yourself," Boehner said to Reid, according to a source with knowledge of the exchange in a White House lobby.
Seriously?

Some old saying about fixing the fence after the horse is out of the corral comes to mind here. It is all a bunch of baloney because in this case the horse is out of the corral and they are not even fixing the fence. The people responsible for breaking the fence and letting the horse out on purpose are determining whether or not to put some fresh paint on the rusty gate while leaving the gaping hole in the fence.

Last edited:
https://twitter.com/thegarance/status/286676374226341889/photo/1

Yah sold out babies. It is not like the whole mess they created wasn't thoroughly and articulately predicted beginning decades ago when the great ripoff was being designed and implemented piece by piece sold out congress by sold out congress. Handing off the torch to the next bunch of sold out suits. I keep waiting for the Truth to make me free,,, mostly it makes me so cynical I can hardly stand myself. Will Rogers would have a field day wouldn't he? In fact it would be a good time to resurrect his wit... smiles....

No, Republicans wanted no limit at all. Fair for everyone. The Senate proposed this bill and much of it was written by Biden.

The Republicans wanted the spending cuts....Democrats would not agree to them....Republicans caved.

Back