Running over the Fiscal Cliff

AdamFencepost

Reaction score
Yesterday's News. As of the moment, the Thursday, December 27th US House of Representatives session has already adjourned:

House won't be in session Thursday for legislative business

By NBC's Frank Thorp and Mark Murray According to House Republican leadership aides, House GOP leaders have not yet called their members back to Washington D.C., and WILL NOT be in session tomorrow for legislative business. According to one GOP aide, "It's up to Senate Democrats to act right now."

During the House Republican conference meeting late Thursday night, leadership told the conference that they would be given 48 hours before being called back to D.C. after Christmas. According to aides, leadership has not given that notice yet.

On Friday, the House passed a motion to adjourn until Dec. 27 at 2:00 pm, but because the Senate failed to also pass the motion, the House was required to hold a short "pro forma" session on Monday. It will likely hold another pro forma session Thursday, during which no legislation will be considered.

According to a GOP aide, "Scheduling decisions are still being discussed."

Meanwhile, President Obama is now scheduled to leave Hawaii -- where he and his family have been celebrating the Christmas holiday -- later tonight and will arrive in Washington tomorrow.
Unfortunately, all tax legislation must originate in the House of Representatives despite, what the GOP aide thinks must happen in the Senate.

Here is some bipartisan news (sort of) from the Wall Street Journal. However, running over the fiscal cliff looks more and more probable.
House GOP’s Lonely Voice on Revenue

Uh-oh, this is political news. FYI, it will probably be locked anytime now.

Well, we must have set them on the road to . . . something, Paul.

Breaking: US House of Representatives to return to session Sunday evening

Wow! Has that ever happened before? Gavelling in a session on a Sunday & late in the day! Good thing I'm on Pacific time.

Joined AD 4 weeks ago but must not understand AD forum rules. National Rifle Association lobbying positions can be discussed but . . .?

It's fine. I don't want to cross any lines.

Uh-oh, this is political news. FYI, it will probably be locked anytime now.

It can be last longer if we are silent and don't report any posts.

The key word is remain to discuss in civil matter.

Yeah, I was concerned about this for long time. This time, for real that congress failed come up with concrete plan PLUS we will be maxing out debt ceiling on Dec 31st.

Well, we must have set them on the road to . . . something, Paul.

Breaking: US House of Representatives to return to session Sunday evening

Wow! Has that ever happened before? Gavelling in a session on a Sunday & late in the day! Good thing I'm on Pacific time.

Joined AD 4 weeks ago but must not understand AD forum rules. National Rifle Association lobbying positions can be discussed but . . .?

It's fine. I don't want to cross any lines.
OK, I am telling you that Congress is usually fucked up. They were supposed to fix the problem that USPS is having but they failed so it has to start all over due to the elections. My point is that those Congressmen/women are filthy rich shitheads who fool around too much while they get paid by our taxes.

:locked:

Going to be an interesting year. Let's get this S* rolling! Here's hoping that running over the cliff produces the desired results. We've been waiting for it for just a little over 99 years. If you don't know what this means, you're F*. Good luck.

I know why the category, "War & Political News" is locked. Jiro and Stein are to blame. Have you read their posts to each other? It's really WOW! :lol: I mean that if those threads that they participated in were not locked, they would never stop bickering each other politically or philosophically while I :popcorn:.

Last edited:
I know why the category, "War & Political News" is locked. Jiro and Stein are to blame. Have you read their posts to each other? It's really WOW! :lol:

More than two of them, I'm one of them too.

I don't think it is good thing to state a member name whoever are blamed for closed section.

More than two of them, I'm one of them too.

I don't think it is good thing to state a member name whoever are blamed for closed section.
So what? I made them famous now. You are famous, too.

2:38 PM | REID: 'We're Not Going To Have Any Social Security Cuts' In Fiscal Cliff Deal

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid returned to the Senate floor to clarify that the major issue blocking a deal is the Republicans demand for the chained CPI.
"We're not going to have Social Security cuts as part of a smaller, short-term agreement," Reid said. "At some point in the negotiating process becomes obvious one side is demanding concessions they know other side's unwilling to make."
But he added that the two sides remain "real close" to a deal.
"I am not overly optimistic, but I am cautiously optimistic that we can get something done," he concluded, adding that he hopes that he and McConnell will put out a joint statement this afternoon.
So that means they will not cut SS benefits.

The chained CPI doesn't cut the SS benefits but it does hurt the growing of SS based on inflation.

The GOP decided to drop the chained CPI because they realized that cannot clear in the congress.

where or who the media did you get this from?

If the agreement doesnt meet by end of the day tomorrow, everything will be increased, even restaurants, insurances, groceries, and more.

where or who the media did you get this from?

If the agreement doesnt meet by end of the day tomorrow, everything will be increased, even restaurants, insurances, groceries, and more.

It was from Adam's post that where CrazyPaul quoted it.

It was from Adam's post that where CrazyPaul quoted it.

thank you. Didn't read all of them... I don't read every post related to politics because these congress people sucked... they will still be until their seats are taken by better ones I hope.

They better agree on taxing the $250,000 + instead of forcing the taxes onto us... I see the problem. I can't wait for Americans to kick those idiots out this coming year and 2014... these new people better do a better job once they take the seat.

Back