Rocky Mountain Deaf School??

Some Deaf Schools have programs for hearing kids who use ASL as a first language. Not nessarily the kids with severe and profound intellectual issues who use a handful of signs, but rather kids with apraxia, CP and other disabilties who while they can hear, they can't speak due to nereological issues.
Off the top of my head, St Rita's has a program for kids with apraxia. So does TLC in MA, and I think Beverly School for the Deaf does. Can't remmy other ones.

St. Ritas is one of the others high on my list... its only about 1.5 hrs from here so next time we go to Childrens Hospital we're going to tour it :):) their program for Apraxia kiddos is 'see and say' I THINK...

From what i understand, there's no red tape, hassles, etc in TX--education's paid for. Might have to be a resident at least one year or something, tho....

It is very easy to get. I got one when I was planning to go to Law School (Jiro's advice) I downloaded an app, mailed with audiogram and I received the waiver form 2 weeks later. It's good for life. Pretty cool. It only covers schools that receive state funding but we have a bunch of those. UT, A&M and Tech are pretty decent schools too.

Why does everyone think that Texas still has money? The good part about not having money is that the Texas can't afford to buy the crappy new textbooks with stupid changes.

We still have the rainy day fund.... :) And luckily we have a Governor that is willing to tighten the belt first rather than take the easy route.

:roll: Hard to believe. They only teach Texas history anyway.

That is only 7th grade. Texas History is a 7th grade class. And as for cutting TJ out of history books that was only 8th grade world history. He is still taught extensively in 9th grade US History. They feeling was that teaching TJ in both was a tad repetitious and took time that could be used teaching about other figures.

That is only 7th grade. Texas History is a 7th grade class. And as for cutting TJ out of history books that was only 8th grade world history. He is still taught extensively in 9th grade US History. They feeling was that teaching TJ in both was a tad repetitious and took time that could be used teaching about other figures.

We lived in Texas until my oldest daughter finished 7th grade. That must be why I think that. She knows a lot about Texas history!

We lived in Texas until my oldest daughter finished 7th grade. That must be why I think that. She knows a lot about Texas history!

She's lucky. My football coach was my 7th grade Texas History teacher. I am pretty sure he thought we won the Alamo. He didn't last very long though. My senior year he pulled me over for speeding. He quit teaching to become a cop. No ticket....he called my dad instead. Where I grew up being a cop was probably safer than teaching.....at least with a gun you have a fighting chance... :lol:

:lol: @ Tousi

Thanks Tousi!! OOOH good idea about PFH!! Figure it's my son's education so I'll find a way to make it work... somehow :)
I'm here.
yeah I am sure that pfh may familiar about this school. oh his girl's deaf so he may get more sources about coloroado.
Yes. And it's Colorado, not coloroado.
I've PM'd him so hopefully he'll have some ideas :)
Yup, PM sent back to ya.
Awesome, hope he will post it here because i m curious! ha
Oh, AD rules says can't share PM's. Sorry. Bring this up to Alex... :D
I would consider Texas School for the Deaf. It's in a good area.....right outside a college town and less than an hour from Dallas or Fort Worth. Then when he graduates his college is free.
factual
From what i understand, there's no red tape, hassles, etc in TX--education's paid for. Might have to be a resident at least one year or something, tho....
Factual
Wirelessly posted

the only thing i would say is make sure he is eligible. Some schools have "deafness requirements" (certain level of hearing loss) and since he's got one normal ear, he might not be allowed.
He's eligible from what I know and understand.
Already have! :) it's deaf and HoH... so he'd be allowed

Infact this is from their Credo-- off their website:

We recognize that:
“deaf” means individuals who have varying hearing acuity (deaf, Deaf, and hard-of-hearing)
Like i said.
:thumb: but FJ's point is that if you move to another state - its deaf criteria could be different.
check the following post
But Adamsmomma point is she checked the specific school website. :lol:
check the following post
but her son has not been evaluated by them yet.... right? Sometimes what they do in person is not the same as what they say in website. somewhat sleezy.
check the following post
I agree SLEEZY!! Well I again brought that to the directors attention- so we'll see what she says... (also I want to get him tested again so we'll know if he's REALLY SSD or if he DOES have a fluctuating loss in that right ear-- still boggles my mind!!!)
They don't mess around. :) Knowing the school your kid is pretty much eligible.

St. Ritas is one of the others high on my list... its only about 1.5 hrs from here so next time we go to Childrens Hospital we're going to tour it :):) their program for Apraxia kiddos is 'see and say' I THINK...

Jillio's son went to St. Ritas..

Jillio's son went to St. Ritas..

Yep. Jillio could provide helpful information about her experience with St Ritas.

St Rita's school fee is costly, so Adamsmomma might not be able to afford the fees, I'm assuming.

Yep. Jillio could provide helpful information about her experience with St Ritas.

St Rita's school fee is costly, so Adamsmomma might not be able to afford the fees, I'm assuming.

Well although I almost choked when I saw the price :shock:-- they can work w/the public school system in their area and the public school district will pay for the student to go to SRS if they have an IEP set up thru the school system. Which we would certainly do!! Their daycare/preschool program is actually only $5 a week more than we pay now so I could definitely manage that :D I've been in contact w/their Special Services Coordinator already- since we'll be in Cinci in a few weeks for more testing and we'll be able to tour SRS then.

I thought I had seen somewhere on here that her son had attended SRS-- nice to know who to ask about that one :) :)

I'm not on AD much, but I see that you're in Kentucky. Have you contacted KSD or been to Danville? Here's a link for info. Don't have much information myself -- only worked there 4-5 days as a dorm sub a few years ago.

What's happening

I'm not on AD much, but I see that you're in Kentucky. Have you contacted KSD or been to Danville? Here's a link for info. Don't have much information myself -- only worked there 4-5 days as a dorm sub a few years ago.

What's happening

Hi! Yeah I've looked at them and they're still a possibility just looking at all our options... we don't have anything tying us to Ky so entertaining the idea of moving to the school that would best suit Monkeys needs ;)

It is VERY common for parents of kids with special needs to move to where there are better schools.
Adamsmommy, it's possible.......does he sometimes appear to hear and then sometimes not appear to hear? It's possible he might have a brain processing problem. Sort of like auditory nereopathy but not exactly.

It is VERY common for parents of kids with special needs to move to where there are better schools.
Adamsmommy, it's possible.......does he sometimes appear to hear and then sometimes not appear to hear? It's possible he might have a brain processing problem. Sort of like auditory nereopathy but not exactly.

Oh it's quite possible that he's got a processing issue- due to his the way his brain is formed and the 'speech and language' center being effected-- that's one reason we'll be getting a functional MRI to see if we can tell how his brain has remapped itself... I've been telling them it's like sometimes he hears, sometimes he doesn't... thats also why they're going to test him for a fluctuating hearing loss since previous ABRs showed a Mod loss in his right ear... and it's 'normal' now?!?! :shock:

Oh it's quite possible that he's got a processing issue- due to his the way his brain is formed and the 'speech and language' center being effected-- that's one reason we'll be getting a functional MRI to see if we can tell how his brain has remapped itself... I've been telling them it's like sometimes he hears, sometimes he doesn't... thats also why they're going to test him for a fluctuating hearing loss since previous ABRs showed a Mod loss in his right ear... and it's 'normal' now?!?! :shock:

I wouldn't fret about that. It happens to me too every once in a while. Since I spend a great majority of my life being deaf, I identify myself as a deaf person.

It's odd though.

Adamsmomma, have they tested him both with in booth tests and ABR? It's possible you might get different results...they do occasionally
I'm thinking the way you are.....that he might have some sort of weird processing loss on top of his mechanical (ie his coachler and other stuff works OK) loss. There is something called cortexual deafness where the brain can't interpret sound. I have a touch of cortexual deafness b/c I have a weird brain....in booth tests show that I'm hoh but ABR says I'm deaf?!?!

Back