Rocky Mountain Deaf School??

Adamsmomma

Reaction score
I'm starting to look across the country at different deaf schools for Adam-- I've got about a year before he goes into pre-school so I figured that should give me the time I need to- in order to research schools and the surrounding areas (job and housing markets, etc)

I stumbled upon the Rocky Mountain Deaf School in Golden, Colorado (formerly the Jefferson County Magnet School for the Deaf) and since it's been a 'far reaching' goal of mine to return to the Denver Metro area since we moved away when I was 10 I thought this might be an interesting option...

So has anyone dealt w/this school personally??? Either as a parent or a student??

Thanks a bunch ADers!!

Wow, that's nice that you have the wherewithal to be able to do this, Adamsmomma! I bet PFH who is from CO will have knowledge about this school. Best wishes in your search for the best for Adam!

Wow, that's nice that you have the wherewithal to be able to do this, Adamsmomma! I bet PFH who is from CO will have knowledge about this school. Best wishes in your search for the best for Adam!

Thanks Tousi!! OOOH good idea about PFH!! Figure it's my son's education so I'll find a way to make it work... somehow :)

yeah I am sure that pfh may familiar about this school. oh his girl's deaf so he may get more sources about coloroado.

Awesome, hope he will post it here because i m curious! ha

I was looking at the map and it's not far from where I went to school in Denver!! I'm a dork but I thought that part was cool-- it's in the area I remember the most!! NOW if it's a good school for Adam remains to be seen, right?? Just b/c Mom's nostalgic doesn't mean it's the right place... *sigh*

I would consider Texas School for the Deaf. It's in a good area.....right outside a college town and less than an hour from Dallas or Fort Worth. Then when he graduates his college is free.

I would consider Texas School for the Deaf. It's in a good area.....right outside a college town and less than an hour from Dallas or Fort Worth. Then when he graduates his college is free.

Yeah have friends down there that have mentioned it as well (only they're moving next year :roll:) -- just it's HOT in Texas and I'm delicate :cool2:LOL :giggle::giggle: wait College is free?? :shock: He gets free college here in KY too b/c of being a former foster kid but hmmmmm

(I haven't got to the T's on my list yet I will check it out though :) )

Your son's tuition would be free or "almost free" anyway in most states since VR will pay for it (depending on your income status).

From what i understand, there's no red tape, hassles, etc in TX--education's paid for. Might have to be a resident at least one year or something, tho....

From what i understand, there's no red tape, hassles, etc in TX--education's paid for. Might have to be a resident at least one year or something, tho....

and also - it's only free at state college.. not private.

more information's here - DARS - Office for Deaf and Hard of Hearing Services FAQ
Is there any financial assistance available to cover the cost of college education for a person who is deaf or hard of hearing?

The Certificate of Deafness for Tuition Waiver (CODTW) is a state of Texas program available to persons who have an unaided 55 dB (or aided 30 dB) average or greater loss in their better ear based on the average at 500, 1000, 2000 and 4000 Hertz. The application requires an audiogram to be provided that represents the current hearing loss though there is no time limit on older audiograms. For those who do not quite meet this requirement there are alternative eligibility options which allow for less than 55 dB (unaided) or 30 dB (aided) when the speech discrimination score is less than 50%. Additionally, there is a verifying statement of "functional deafness" that a physician can complete and sign to provide another alternate method of meeting the eligibility criteria.

The CODTW is good for tuition and tuition-based fees at state supported colleges and universities. The CODTW cannot be used at private colleges/universities, proprietary schools or out of state schools. Click here to print a CODTW application.

Vocational Rehabilitation Services through DRS may also be a financial assistance resource for eligible persons who have a vocational handicap to employment due to their disability. Please be aware that not all persons with a disability have a vocational handicap. Click here to find the closest DRS office.

If I am moving from out of state to Texas, can I be eligible for the CODTW?

Residency for DARS programs and services begins when you move to Texas with the intention of staying. However, in order to use the CODTW you must meet be the residency requirements for institutions of higher education in which you intend to enroll which can be found in the Texas Education Code 54.052.

Yeah, TX still sounds good as many States' VR agencies are having budgetary problems....

move to Tennessee, then your boy can go to U of T.. you'll be PROUD TENNESSEE MAMA!

move to Tennessee, then your boy can go to U of T.. you'll be PROUD TENNESSEE MAMA!

Ahhh a momma can dream!! Be nice if he could play football there too :D :D He'd have to be quarterback though, since he can throw a mean ball but can't catch real well w/his right hand...

But I gotta get him thru PRESCHOOL first y'all!! :D :D

Yeah, TX still sounds good as many States' VR agencies are having budgetary problems....

somehow.... they still have money. magically.

Obama makes Houdini looks like an amateur.

Your son's tuition would be free or "almost free" anyway in most states since VR will pay for it (depending on your income status).

Jiro, I had all but forgotten about VR!!!!! Yeah it's only Kentucky State schools he can attend for free thru the "Foster Care" deal- as well- but if we move out of state and he comes back we pay the difference between instate/out of state tuition--

No red tape is always a plus--

and also - it's only free at state college.. not private.

more information's here - DARS - Office for Deaf and Hard of Hearing Services FAQ

Thank you for all the info Jiro!!!

Texas has budget problems, too. If you consider Texas, think Austin.

I used to live in Colorado and I've always liked Golden. A friend of mine lived in Golden. It's a smaller place with a nice lifestyle.

Wirelessly posted

the only thing i would say is make sure he is eligible. Some schools have "deafness requirements" (certain level of hearing loss) and since he's got one normal ear, he might not be allowed.

Wirelessly posted

the only thing i would say is make sure he is eligible. Some schools have "deafness requirements" (certain level of hearing loss) and since he's got one normal ear, he might not be allowed.

Already have! :) it's deaf and HoH... so he'd be allowed

Infact this is from their Credo-- off their website:

We recognize that:
“deaf” means individuals who have varying hearing acuity (deaf, Deaf, and hard-of-hearing)

Back