RIM Officially Announced BlackBerry Curve!

What is wifi ? What's it for and why do I need it?
Can someone explain to this newbie about phones.

Just FYI: i just got $50 rebate from t mobile. iThe check itself has pinkish color (tombile color) and white.

COOL!

YOMAN!

I haven't timed my wpm on the Curve yet. :lol:
You and I should have a "keyboard race" if we ever met.

For short bursts, I type about 72 words per minute on my BlackBerry (measured via Thumb Keyboard Touch Type FAQ) and about 143 words per minute on a desktop keyboard. (measured via TypingTest.com - 1 minute Huckleberry Finn test).

On a BlackBerry, I have briefly exceeded 360 keypresses per minute, so at 5 keypresses per word average including spacebar, that's a hair above 72 words per minute on a thumb keyboard. Yes, 72 words per minute with thumbs.

Better yet -- can you do the trick of thumb touchtyping on a BlackBerry held behind your back? I've impressed quite a few of my friends with my thumb touch typing skills (typing without looking) I first learned how to thumb-touchtype in 2001, by forcing myself to stare only at the screen while typing, and not move my eyes below the screen. Eventually, my thumb-touchtype skills developed to the point where I can thumb-touchtype without looking at the BlackBerry at all - I can now thumb-touchtype behind my back too (it's much harder to type on a BlackBerry holding it behind my back - I slow down to only 35 words per minute, with about 1 typo per sentence)

BlackBerry Thumb Touch Typist Guide

Yes, it's possible to thumb-touchtype on a BlackBerry thumb keyboard!

What is wifi ? What's it for and why do I need it?
Can someone explain to this newbie about phones.
Suz, Sorry no one answer your questions what you required. So Here I can see that you are hungry to learning about bb and wifi. I can't answer if you actually need the wifi built-in BB. My question is Have you own Laptop? do you always bring your laptop with wifi card to coffee shop where they provide "hotspot" as wifi network?

the wifi bulit-in BB curve: If T-mobile coverage is lowest strenght network or lack of strenghten network in your location or your friend's location, So you can enable your wifi curve connect directly wifi router at home/ friend's house, or wifi hotspots at coffee shop, kinko, libaray, and airport without "EGDE" which lack of full strenghten bars. so you can receive and send by email, IM clients, surf on internet browser and maps running on WIFI. Overall wireless router with broadband high speed as DSL or Cable enable directly wifi curve fully strenghten and function.

what I found...

8800 (No Camera, GPS)
8820 (No Camera but WiFi and GPS)
8300 (Camera, no WiFi, no GPS)
8320 (Camera, WiFi)
83xx (Camera, WiFi, GPS)
9xxx (Don’t get me started)
It looks like it will be Q4 for me for the 83XX or the 9XXX from RIM. I need the Camera, WiFi, GPS, which to me should be standard on all smartphones now.

I'm thinking of waiting for the 8320 or the 83XX then, as most of the bloggers say the 8300 series keyboard is just like how the 7200 series use to be which I love than the 8700 I have now...

9700 (Two Way Real Time Videophone, WifI, GPS)
9100 (Two Way real Time VIdeophone, WifI)
9800 (Two Way real Time Videophone Wifi, GPS, VRS, Support Apple's iChat with three video screens)

Use World's first 5G network offered by T-Mobile

Just kidding.

Suz, Sorry no one answer your questions what you required. So Here I can see that you are hungry to learning about bb and wifi. I can't answer if you actually need the wifi built-in BB. My question is Have you own Laptop? do you always bring your laptop with wifi card to coffee shop where they provide "hotspot" as wifi network?

the wifi bulit-in BB curve: If T-mobile coverage is lowest strenght network or lack of strenghten network in your location or your friend's location, So you can enable your wifi curve connect directly wifi router at home/ friend's house, or wifi hotspots at coffee shop, kinko, libaray, and airport without "EGDE" which lack of full strenghten bars. so you can receive and send by email, IM clients, surf on internet browser and maps running on WIFI. Overall wireless router with broadband high speed as DSL or Cable enable directly wifi curve fully strenghten and function.

XBGMER, Thank you for taking the time to explain to me. Yes Im a newbie to portable's - laptop and cell phones. I've been using desktops for many years.

Next question; What is the best route to take for commuicating outside the home? Would you recommend a laptop connected or a BB cell w/all the whistles?
I wear two digital HA's, am a candidate for the CI (still going through the process but uncertain at this time) and would love to have outside
communication with the internet, text, IM and whatever else is avail for the hearing impaired users. Possibly the internet relay? Would you guide me or steer me in the right direction? There is no rush or deadline for me.
Many thanks for your help. It's greatly appreicated.
Suzi

Hi all

As a T-Mobile subscriber with very poor coverage at my home, will I be able to access any data like e mail, web browsing, text message, and instant message with BB Curve 8320? Is BB Curve 8320 data very reliable even in no coverage areas?

Thanks,

XBGMER, Thank you for taking the time to explain to me. Yes Im a newbie to portable's - laptop and cell phones. I've been using desktops for many years.

Next question; What is the best route to take for commuicating outside the home? Would you recommend a laptop connected or a BB cell w/all the whistles?
I wear two digital HA's, am a candidate for the CI (still going through the process but uncertain at this time) and would love to have outside
communication with the internet, text, IM and whatever else is avail for the hearing impaired users. Possibly the internet relay? Would you guide me or steer me in the right direction? There is no rush or deadline for me.
Many thanks for your help. It's greatly appreicated.
Suzi
SuziMaria, I love portable PC and little device. I have own advance laptop and ofc BB curve.. Most time I carry little device (BB). BB have preloaded apps, origanze, maps like laptop PC. that why I use bb for travel and work wheerever I go.

Let you know that BB is more performance and business-customer.

What BB's capable:

Maps
Relay as i711, IP-Relay, Sorenson Relay, Sprint Relay apps
BB browser (loading fast!)
Word attachments
wifi
GPS
many deveolp apps
preloaded IM apps like (AIM, YAHOO, Google Talk, ICQ, and WinLive)
Video playback
More..

I believe that BB is right for you carrying more easily. BB is the great communcations, and route for deaf users. ;)

Last edited:
Hi all

As a T-Mobile subscriber with very poor coverage at my home, will I be able to access any data like e mail, web browsing, text message, and instant message with BB Curve 8320? Is BB Curve 8320 data very reliable even in no coverage areas?

Thanks,
airattack, definitely yes, BB has WIFI for hotspot or home@spot!! Unless, you have wireless router at your home or apt, BB will enable directly wireless router that give full strengthen of coverage instead of EDGE. BB Curve 8320 data will run in no coverage areas with enable wifi!

If you want to know and resource about BB. Go BlackBerryForums.com : Your Number One BlackBerry Community

Good luck

airattack, definitely yes, BB has WIFI for hotspot or home@spot!! Unless, you have wireless router at your home or apt, BB will enable directly wireless router that give full strengthen of coverage instead of EDGE. BB Curve 8320 data will run in no coverage areas with enable wifi!

Good luck

have you try the wifi at walmart or mall? that is where sometime it go off or not able to connect it.

have you try the wifi at walmart or mall? that is where sometime it go off or not able to connect it.
justlook, Whoa, Have you any C-O-M-M-O-N-S-E-N-S-E ?

Walmart and Mall don't have hotspots, since they arent available for wifi hotspot.

O' cmon!

Please think hardly about it and use commonsense. thanks!

I think some individual stores (like coffee shops and snack shops) within malls have hot spots. Usually they post a sign on the door or window indicating "WiFi Here".

A friend told me and warned me not to get BB because Yahoo Email won't go thru to BB. I told her I would get it because I use another way to send Email such as from outlook/Indremail, Gmail, Hotmail, etc minus Yahoo. She gulped! So I am not sure exactly WHY Yahoo and BB won't 'cooperate'. I'll have to ask her to set up Gmail...maybe...

A friend told me and warned me not to get BB because Yahoo Email won't go thru to BB. I told her I would get it because I use another way to send Email such as from outlook/Indremail, Gmail, Hotmail, etc minus Yahoo. She gulped! So I am not sure exactly WHY Yahoo and BB won't 'cooperate'. I'll have to ask her to set up Gmail...maybe...
Here is information about Yahoo from Blackberry:

BlackBerry Search Results

justlook, Whoa, Have you any C-O-M-M-O-N-S-E-N-S-E ?

Walmart and Mall don't have hotspots, since they arent available for wifi hotspot.

O' cmon!

Please think hardly about it and use commonsense. thanks!

well..if you think so..i didn't say i know...just curious if you know different between curious and known in term "try"? anyway, i just thought since mobile network does off or can't connect at walmart, mall or some area as wifi back up is neat way to do..that is why i ask if you have explore it? the att and sprint were able to keep connect on without wifi as tmo is spotty in some area or in build..sorry if i am impact on this..just a discuss which is this forum is for..without bark around, peace

Your question made me curious. So, I set up my Yahoo email on my BB. It works fine. Now I get my email from my Roadrunner Webmail and from my Yahoo email. So, the Yahoo email does work on BB. :P

Furthermore, Yahoo Messenger (IM) came installed in my new BB Curve along with AOL IM, ICQ, Windows Live Messenger, Google Talk, and Blackberry Messenger.

Furthermore, Yahoo Messenger (IM) came installed in my new BB Curve along with AOL IM, ICQ, Windows Live Messenger, Google Talk, and Blackberry Messenger.
Yahoo Messenger, Yahoo Search, and Google Talk are installed on mine also.

I think some individual stores (like coffee shops and snack shops) within malls have hot spots. Usually they post a sign on the door or window indicating "WiFi Here".
Reba, Yes thats right! Now I remember the starbuck in some malls. Reba, thank for remind me.

well..if you think so..i didn't say i know...just curious if you know different between curious and known in term "try"? anyway, i just thought since mobile network does off or can't connect at walmart, mall or some area as wifi back up is neat way to do..that is why i ask if you have explore it? the att and sprint were able to keep connect on without wifi as tmo is spotty in some area or in build..sorry if i am impact on this..just a discuss which is this forum is for..without bark around, peace
Hey ^^ look at above reba's quote. ;)

I am very sorry that what I jumped in gun shot you quickly in first place without think twice. sorry! But unfortunately, Wal mart isnt available for wifi service.. Plus I didnt have the T-Mobile hotspot subscriber for my bb with wifi that time.

Yes you're right about just a discuss is here forum for. I agree with your quote. I am truly sorry! :)

Back