Ride with Pride!

I guess you are still misunderstanding......I am not gay....therefore I am not offended. Hence the very important "if". IF, I were gay the company pretendlng to make a special offer just for me would offend me. Similarly...If Amtrak came out and said they were supporting the deaf with a special Deaf fare, yet it was the same fare offered to anyone....I would be offended. :cool2:

You still haven't understand yet...

when Chick-fil-A President Cathy publicly stated that he does not support gay marriage.... and CFA Appreciation Day got rallied up by Mike Huckabee along with support of well-known opposers of homosexuality such as Sarah Palin, Mitt Romney, and Rick Santorum, opposition groups and crowds that mostly consist of Christian Conservatives... that creates a very uncomfortable public atmosphere for gay community and sends negative message.

Amtrak, Target, JC Penny, and some corporate giants have countered that with GBLT-friendly tone to encourage harmony and peace for all people. Cathy's message does not promote harmony for all.

so I would be glad to see corporate giant to show its support for deaf community if another corporate giant said something publicly that is viewed as negative for deaf community

Amtrak, Target, JC Penny, and some corporate giants have countered that with GBLT-friendly tone to encourage harmony and peace for all

I have understood this clearly from the start. I totally support their right to run their business as they see fit. :). But to promote their standard discount as a special discount is disingenuous. If gays are willing to accept it that is their choice. :)

I have understood this clearly from the start. I totally support their right to run their business as they see fit. :). But to promote their standard discount as a special discount is disingenuous. If gays are willing to accept it that is their choice. :)

I'm sorry you see it that way but that's not how gay people see it as. in case you didn't know - this was a taxpayer-funded ads and I'm very glad to see my tax money being put to use to promote such wonderful message and awareness.

I'm sorry you see it that way but that's not how gay people see it as.

Obviously...I find that sad. I mean they are being used by the company and they don't seem to care. Oh well, that is their choice.

Obviously...I find that sad. I mean they are being used by the company and they. Don't seem to care. Oh well, that is their choice.

yep. lot for you to learn, grasshopper.... :cool2:

when producing ads for general audience, what do majority of ads have? mostly Caucasian heterosexual people.

so having "different people" as main spotlight rather than background is a big deal for us. deaf people on front page? GLBT on front page? mixed races on front page? wonderful! more awareness and spotlight for us! no more being a background! :cool2:

I know this quite well because well I'm in marketing business and have been for quite a while..... and I also know your angle and it's really an amateurish attempt to steer it into that angle. it's a classic cheap smear politic textbook tactic. so amateurish. :lol:

yep. lot for you to learn, grasshopper.... :cool2:

when producing ads for general audience, what do majority of ads have? mostly Caucasian heterosexual people.

so having "different people" as main spotlight rather than background is a big deal for us. deaf people on front page? GLBT on front page? mixed races on front page? wonderful! more awareness and spotlight for us! no more being a background! :cool2:

I know this quite well because well I'm in marketing business and have been for quite a while..... and I also know your angle and it's really amateurish attempt to steer it into that angle. it's smear politic textbook case. so amateurish :lol:

I see you are going to continue to try to cause trouble. Oh well. If all gays want is a little recognition, I suppose these ads would suffice. I would expect more from Amtrak personally....but I have no problem with what Amtrak is doing. Sorry if that disappoints you. :wave:

I see you are going to continue to try to cause trouble. Oh well. If all gays want is a little recognition, I suppose these ads would suffice. I would expect more from Amtrak personally....but I have no problem with what Amtrak is doing. Sorry if that disappoints you. :wave:

I am deeply confused...

if you have no problem with what Amtrak is doing... then what's with these posts?

IMO there is something wrong with it....As Reba said it is pandering. In a way it's a bait and switch.....they already offer that discount to everyone. If I were gay I would be offended and feel used by such a publicity stunt.....especially if there was no added value for me as a customer. They can advertise however they want....I couldn't care less. And if I ever choose to take the train I certainly wouldn't boycott over something so trivial. But to act like they are making a special offer to show their support is disingenuous at best.

You seem terribly confused..... The point is that it is NOT something new. They simply repackaged an offer they already make and tried to make it look like they did something special. It's pretty disingenuous of Amtrak. If they are not going to make a special offer specifically for gays, they should just make a statement in support of them rather than pretending to do something special.

you clearly have problem with Amtrak ads :confused:

None of the gay people actually in this discussion read that ad as promoting a special discount. I don't know why you did. It's promoting that kids ride for half off. The sexual orientation of the parents has NOTHING to do with the deal. Discriminating based on sexual preference isn't exactly good advertising (not to mention illegal in many places). No gay person is going to think that a business is going to offer a deal only for gay people.

https://www.amtrakridewithpride.com/

amtrak-ad2-406x620.jpg

959fd_amtrak-ad-406x620.jpg

It took me a while to realize what kind of pride it was, hehe, I should have noticed it right away, my being an out lesbian, LOL. But, totally awesome and I love riding the train and I've been riding the train since I was 20. It's fun and it's great. You can't beat the beautiful scenery you get to enjoy. And riding the train is cheap. It's only $12 for me to ride from San Antonio to Austin. I have gotten much longer distance trips for only like $50. It's better than taking the bus and is much cleaner.

something new? so if they advertised with mixed-races families... is it something new too?
Did they?

Unless they include a discount for being a mixed race family, then obviously it wouldn't be a new offer.

I'm sorry you see it that way but that's not how gay people see it as. in case you didn't know - this was a taxpayer-funded ads and I'm very glad to see my tax money being put to use to promote such wonderful message and awareness.
Amtrak better find a more profitable way to spend taxpayers' money. Those are fuzzy feel good ads but they don't do anything for Amtrak's disastrous bottom line.

Feel good for some people? Maybe. Offer any benefits to same-sex couples? Nope. Increase revenue for Amtrak's huge debt? Probably not.

It took me a while to realize what kind of pride it was....
Honestly, at first glance, I didn't notice at first either, until I saw the rainbow colors at the bottom of the ads. :lol:

I thought the ad with the black family was a grandmother, mother, and child traveling together. The three guys in the other ad all look alike, so I thought they were blood relatives, maybe siblings or cousins.

Obviously, I don't have a honed gay-dar.

Did they?

Unless they include a discount for being a mixed race family, then obviously it wouldn't be a new offer.

it's not about a new offer. it's about a new move.

with corporations supporting GLBT community to promote a message and awareness... it's something like this

f58whe.jpg

Back