Restoring Honor Rally at D.C. Today.

Glenn Beck Urges Listeners to Leave Churches That Preach Social Justice
beck.jpg

On his daily radio and television shows last week, Fox News personality Glenn Beck set out to convince his audience that "social justice," the term many Christian churches use to describe their efforts to address poverty and human rights, is a "code word" for communism and Nazism. Beck urged Christians to discuss the term with their priests and to leave their churches if leaders would not reconsider their emphasis on social justice.

"I'm begging you, your right to religion and freedom to exercise religion and read all of the passages of the Bible as you want to read them and as your church wants to preach them . . . are going to come under the ropes in the next year. If it lasts that long it will be the next year. I beg you, look for the words 'social justice' or 'economic justice' on your church Web site. If you find it, run as fast as you can. Social justice and economic justice, they are code words. Now, am I advising people to leave their church? Yes!"

Later, Beck held up cards, one with a hammer and sickle and other with a swastika. "Communists are on the left, and the Nazis are on the right. That's what people say. But they both subscribe to one philosophy, and they flew one banner. . . . But on each banner, read the words, here in America: 'social justice.' They talked about economic justice, rights of the workers, redistribution of wealth, and surprisingly, democracy."

and then Glenn Beck said at the DC rally -

http://www.cnn.com/2010/POLITICS/08/29/glenn.beck.rally/index.html?hpt=T2
In his Fox interview, taped after Saturday's rally, he said he regretted his remarks about Obama, but said the first African-American president's worldview was shaped by "Marxism disguised as religion."

this dude is full of conundrum. I guess it's just the matter of time till everything he says has expired.

saywhatkid - it's so hilarious to see one accusing us of being racist when we're asking a perfectly valid question. MLK's niece was there to speak for Glenn Beck. One would expect a handful of minority folks to be there but there's nearly none.

what happened? what's going on? where are they?
I never made any assumptions as to why there were so few non-whites there. I asked why? All I got in return was that I was making it a racial thing. No rhyme or reason was given. I wanted to know what Beck is like, since it appears that minorities basically boycotted the rally. All I got in reply was that Beck's people would never stoop to buying someone's time to speak; blacks and other minorities were welcome to attend. But they stayed away in droves....

If this event was attended by more minorities, I would expect the C-Span camera crews to have made a point of showing the diverse crowd. As it was, I could nearly count the number of blacks I saw in an hour of coverage. There was no estimate needed. Maybe a couple dozen, tops.

No idea where they (other posters) might be. Give them time.

"Conservative commentator Glenn Beck says his weekend revival-style rally at the Lincoln Memorial was meant to reclaim the U.S. civil rights movement "from politics," arguing that the movement was about "people of faith.""

Beck says he wanted to reclaim civil rights 'from politics' - CNN.com

lol! Seriously, he thinks he's good for civil rights? Ya right, like blacks would look up to a white leader or Jews up to Jesus or Christians up to Prophet Mohammad.

Not him but everybody who went up to the microphone of various race and ethnicity spoke up and talk about restoring honor in America. There were multitudes of leaders who spoke up that day at the rally on Restoring Honor. Pretty funny to inject civil rights as all about skin color. It's not. Civil rights are about many things.

"Conservative commentator Glenn Beck says his weekend revival-style rally at the Lincoln Memorial was meant to reclaim the U.S. civil rights movement "from politics," arguing that the movement was about "people of faith.""

lol! Seriously, he thinks he's good for civil rights? Ya right, like blacks would look up to a white leader or Jews up to Jesus or Christians up to Prophet Mohammad.
Judging by the "massive" minority turnout, I can see them lining up with the anointing oil.

Maybe it's that attitude that kept some minority folks away; they didn't want to be labeled by others in their own community.

I agree. I wonder about that, too. Pretty sad when people fear such labeling that prevents them from participating.

Not him but everybody who went up to the microphone of various race and ethnicity spoke up and talk about restoring honor in America. There multitude of leaders who spoke up that day. Pretty funny to inject civil rights as all about skin color. It's not. Civil rights are about many things.
Yeah, us white folks have been wronged for centuries! We need to turn back the clock!

I agree. I wonder about that, too. Pretty sad when people fear such labeling that prevents them from participating.
They tossed the microphone to a few token minorities, and this makes them pure. Why were the people they represented missing?

Yeah, us white folks have been wronged for centuries! We need to turn back the clock!

The rally wasn't about race. YOU are making it all about race, that is, all about skin color. It's the old and tired race card all over again. Nothing's changed on your part.

Not him but everybody who went up to the microphone of various race and ethnicity spoke up and talk about restoring honor in America. There multitude of leaders who spoke up that day. Pretty funny to inject civil rights as all about skin color. It's not. Civil rights are about many things.

funny? what happened before MLK wasn't funny. The colored people were mistreated, enslaved, kidnapped, raped, and hung. how is that funny?

the main point of civil rights is about equality and justice for colored people.

in this case - Glenn Beck chose to blur the meaning of Civil Rights by invoking MLK theme in order to target at Obama. clever.... but sleezy. what a shameless one.

The rally wasn't about race. YOU are making it all about race, that is, all about skin color. It's the old and tired race card all over again. Nothing's changed on your part.

:laugh2:

hilarious! same ole' denial. ah.... I see people like you haven't changed yet....

Well, we can keep playing the avoidance game. It was a simple question: why did they not show up, in a city that is nearly 70% minorities? I did not accuse, I asked. You watch his show, not me. You are the Beck expert, not me. You turn the tables to make it about me. Why not offer a reason, or say those words I have never seen you say: "I don't know" instead of beating on me?

:laugh2:

hilarious! same ole' denial. ah.... I see people like you haven't changed yet....
Note that he has never said there were a lot of minorities there. He just accuses us of playing the race card. Funny, last time I look I had freckles and snow-white skin. Why would I care? I just asked a question...

Note that he has never said there were a lot of minorities there. He just accuses us of playing the race card. Funny, last time I look I had freckles and snow-white skin. Why would I care? I just asked a question...

a perfectly valid question. if this event is about Civil Rights and Honoring people.... and has MLK's niece as guest speaker.... one would expect a crowd of all kinds, right?

Today... I see no such thing.

a perfectly valid question. if this event is about Civil Rights and Honoring people.... and has MLK's niece as guest speaker.... one would expect a crowd of all kinds, right?

Today... I see no such thing.
I offered my theory on this, speculating that Beck is a white man's Al Sharpton. Anyhow, I doubt we will get an answer. We will get an earful of race card comments, and that is fine. As a white man in the Upper Midwest, I can shrug it off. I just see the people defending/avoiding the question have similar complexions to me.

Oh well, a nice day to get outside and do things. No point in waiting for a solid reply to my question. Somewhere the SWK voodoo doll is getting pierced.

for those who forgot what was Civil Rights about back in MLK time

Why King's march transformed America
In fact, the political climate surrounding King's 1963 march was tougher. But King and the civil rights movement provided a moral vision that made it possible for the U.S. to find a way out of those ugly times.
By the time of the March, King understood that America could be changed only by winning over the other side. King understood that fighting violence with violence created only more violence. He knew that, whatever happened, blacks and whites needed to live together.

One marcher who "won" a train ticket to the March on Washington for his courageous conduct in demonstrations, later remembered the time racist thugs threw beer mugs at marchers in Charleston. His first reaction, Harvey Jones told me, was to stiffen up to be ready for a fight. King planted himself in front of Jones. "If you don't think you can respond nonviolently, maybe you should leave the march," King said. He calmed down.

King's cause was moral, universal. He sought nothing for his people that other people did not enjoy. He wanted access to lunch counters and bus stations, the right to vote, equal access to schools, protection against mobs, fair police treatment.

And King was willing -- and insisted that his followers be willing -- to suffer for the cause.

Everyone remembers King's speech at the March for four words: "I have a dream." And, in fact, those words were transcendent. They conjured up images of a better world. Those words connected the ordinary struggles of the movement -- brutally hard work rewarded with beatings and jail -- with the glorious possibilities of equality.

But even more important were four other words: "Unearned suffering is redemptive." King warned that even the most innocent and decent people would continue to suffer. Oppressors never yield power willingly. They fight back viciously. So buck up. Move ahead, first into the swinging batons and electric cattle prods and water cannons. Because there is no other way.

I offered my theory on this, speculating that Beck is a white man's Al Sharpton. Anyhow, I doubt we will get an answer. We will get an earful of race card comments, and that is fine. As a white man in the Upper Midwest, I can shrug it off. I just see the people defending/avoiding the question have similar complexions to me.

Oh well, a nice day to get outside and do things. No point in waiting for a solid reply to my question. Somewhere the SWK voodoo doll is getting pierced.
I wonder what many minorities think of Beck.

I will have to ask my neighbor next door what she thinks of him. Personally, I don't think much of Beck but I can't speak for others. I also would like to know what many other minorities say about him and not just neighbors.

Last edited:
I did watch for about an hour, early today.

So in a city of nearly 600,000, with approximately 310,000 blacks, why did the crowd look so white? You can take shots at me, you can link us to your slew of Conservative websites, you can defend Beck, but there are almost no blacks at this rally. If there was even a hint of honoring MLK, they would be overwhelmed. Why did they stay away?

So, blacks or the "non-caucasian" types who did attend the rally are "Uncle Toms" then?

So, blacks or the "non-caucasian" types who did attend the rally are "Uncle Toms" then?

why are you still on Uncle Tom or racist part? saywhatkid and I are not asking a racist question. We are asking why there's not much of minorities at Glenn Beck's rally.

Netrox is the one who said Uncle Tom, not us.

Back