respect for the Deaf

At the beauty shop today for MIL, while I was sitting and waiting on her, the owner came up to me, tapped me on the shoulder and we had a short chat. While we were talking he was very good about making sure to talk directly with me. Another client's son was also in the waiting area and started interrupting and tried to ask me something. I did not understand and also was not aware he was talking to me. He started asking the owner if I was retarded or something and the owner was quite upset. He went to this teenager's mother and explained what happened, and her response was, "Well, all deaf, blind and handicapped people need to be shot on site just like Hitler wanted." Needless to say, her hairdresser was totally appalled and refused to finish the job. The owner then threw both the mother and teen-aged son out and advised them to not return again. The owner and this hair stylist were both Jewish and really took offense. All of the hair stylists know I am deaf and I have never had a problem there. Most of the usual customers for Saturday also know as well.
wow whoa sound the refused 0_o wow I am surprised!

Respect goes to persons. Being deaf/Deaf/DEAF/hearing doesn't make one cease being a person.

Implanted A B Harmony activated Aug/07

I am truly shocked! Good on the owner for kicking them out. I would have done that too but literally.

This is exactly what I am referring to in another thread. The business owner could have simply ignored these comments and kept a customer. She could have justified the comments by saying the woman and her son were just ill informed regarding people with disabilities. And the message would have been given that her attitude and her comment was acceptable.

But, instead, the owner and the sylist had the courage of their convictions,and placed social justice above the need to make a few more dollars or to maintain a non-confrontational aura. They spoke out. They said, "This is not acceptable, and I will not tolerate such in my presence., and I am willing to sacrifice my own needs to do what is right." This is the way that attitudes get changed.

Respect goes to persons. Being deaf/Deaf/DEAF/hearing doesn't make one cease being a person.

you means respect to ad member? deaf or hearing,! :lol:

One thing I always hated was when I went out to eat with someone and if the waitress or waiter could not understand me they would look at the person I was with! The hearing person has to learn to have more patience and not make a deaf or HOH person feel 'difference' and treat us like everyone else!

That is just one more example of the patronizing and insensitive ways in which society in general treats the D/deaf.

Wow! That woman deserves a medal for standing up against that hatefulness.

I wish I was there too as I would had helped throwing the jerks out too as I am Jewish and HOH!! I hope that mother does not have a lot kids that she teaching to think like her!!

A few days ago I went to a restaurant with my mom and my sister. And the minute I entered the restaurant, I got a awkward vibe from the place. I had my hair up in a messy bun, meaning that both of my CI's were right there in the open for people to see. As I was walking people were just staring at me as i'm signing to my mom and my CI's out in the open. I asked my mom if she notice the people staring at me and my CI's. My mom said yes and that they were curious. They were staring at me the whole time, even when I was eating my lunch and stared at me until I left the restaurant. I couldn't wait to get out of that restaraunt.

The world of persons is greater than the number of members here in Alldeaf.com.

I wish I was there too as I would had helped throwing the jerks out too as I am Jewish and HOH!! I hope that mother does not have a lot kids that she teaching to think like her!!

That's where kids generally learn crap like that. From their parents. Sad.

The world of persons is greater than the number of members here in Alldeaf.com.

And the number of Deaf is greater than the number of deaf CI users. One thing had nothing to do with the other. Your post is, once again, out of the blue and unrelated to anything being discussed.

A few days ago I went to a restaurant with my mom and my sister. And the minute I entered the restaurant, I got a awkward vibe from the place. I had my hair up in a messy bun, meaning that both of my CI's were right there in the open for people to see. As I was walking people were just staring at me as i'm signing to my mom and my CI's out in the open. I asked my mom if she notice the people staring at me and my CI's. My mom said yes and that they were curious. They were staring at me the whole time, even when I was eating my lunch and stared at me until I left the restaurant. I couldn't wait to get out of that restaraunt.

That is so rude and insensitive.

Are persons now redundant? I don't think so.

Decided to take this out for now. This was a post about a graduation party yesterday. I'll post it elsewhere.

Last edited:

Awwww, sorry to hear that. You're in high school, is that correct? Of course with your age and beauty you will feel self-conscious, and you probably won't like the advice I give you for next time: stare right back at them! Walk over to their table, climb onto it, stand in their food to stoop down and peer closely into their eyes!
Yeah, I exaggerate a bit, but you get my drift. You will soon master the event. Hang in there!

That's where kids generally learn crap like that. From their parents. Sad.

I know, it very sad that some parents pass their narrow minded hate on to their kids! I was lucky as my mother was not a racist while dad was , and my mother's love for all people made a stronger impression on her daughters than my dad racist views! I can't say the same for my ex brother, he is a racist like dad was! I once heard some KKK mother on TV say she was going to make sure her kids are like her!! Good over came evil with 3 out of 4 kids in my family! My mother was stronger than she realize !

That is really horrible that people made you feel like a side show! Maybe the next time this happen you should stare back at them while they're eating and see how they like it! No wonder some kids are rude, they learn it from their parents! Try not to let those people get to you, tell yourself they're stupid and have not been raise to have good manners! As most parents tell their kids it not nice to stare at other people! You have a much rights to enjoy a nice meal out with your family!

Awwww, sorry to hear that. You're in high school, is that correct? Of course with your age and beauty you will feel self-conscious, and you probably won't like the advice I give you for next time: stare right back at them! Walk over to their table, climb onto it, stand in their food to stoop down and peer closely into their eyes!
Yeah, I exaggerate a bit, but you get my drift. You will soon master the event. Hang in there!

That is so rude and insensitive.

That is really horrible that people made you feel like a side show! Maybe the next time this happen you should stare back at them while they're eating and see how they like it! No wonder some kids are rude, they learn it from their parents! Try not to let those people get to you, tell yourself they're stupid and have not been raise to have good manners! As most parents tell their kids it not nice to stare at other people! You have a much rights to enjoy a nice meal out with your family!

I agree.. I should wear a shirt that says something like this: keep staring.jpg

:D

Back