Religion in Relationships.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BearBeauty

Reaction score
If there was a thread made about this, you can delete this, MODS.

I'm curious.. How big a part does religion play in your relationships?

I'll give an example.. My boyfriend is Atheist and I'm... I guess you could say I don't really have a religion... but I do believe in ancient greek mythology...

I've noticed a lot of ADers talk about religion in other threads and I was wondering about how it affects your relationship to be either the same religion or 2 different religions.

I respect everyone's religions.. Just curious. Please, respect other people's religionous beliefs.

I have a friend, who is southern bapt, where i went before, and his wife is catholic. He still go to Baptist Church and his wife still goes to catholic church. There are many been going through alot about different denominations and also different religions. Even, in the scriptures does say not to be unequally yoke with unbelievers ( different religions). The reason, can be harmful in their marriage. High rating of marital problems bec of different religion and also different denominations.

My husband and I believe in the same thing and religion doesnt play a role in our lives so all is well there. :)

My wife is JW and I just believe in god. There not really a big problem. She just wants to go to church more.

I just believe in God and Jesus.. I don't want a religious freak in my life.. just somebody who believes in God and Jesus.

Me and my guy have different beliefs, we just don't let it bother in our relationship. Im Atheist, and he's into Atlantis - sometime, we discuss about our thoughts, beliefs, and stuffs and lead into a interesting conversation.

There is, however, in the bible, I have KJV, it says "Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?

And what concord hath Christ with Belial? or what part hath he that believeth with an infidel?" 2 Corinthians 6:14 and 15 KJV. Many religions have that rule as well. Amish and Mennonites, JW, LDS.. even other than Christians: Islam/Muslims, etc. Even Jewish! Jewish mothers fix up their children to marry other Jewish people.

Many religion organizations' own religious books such as Korans, Torah, etc.. they DO say to be separated from others. Even for marriage. Of course, usually happens with the Fundamentalists in each religions or faith. Liberal believers will reject that notation or verse in their bibles or books and have interfaith marriages.

It is very common that marriages fail due to differences such as say as in an example, a Christian and an Atheist. Why? Those two faiths clash between the two since one of the two believes in God and the other do not believe in God at all. Most religions will say not to marry someone outside of their faiths because they KNOW the difficulties.

I am Born Again Christian and my wife is a Christian with a little differences. I may disagree with her but on other issues about our faiths agree. For example, we agree that there are many churches act like franchises and they are not with God (liberals). We believe a church in the bible means a group of believers together to fellowship, not a building, not a business, not a franchise. We read the bible together and not attending a church building.

One thing interesting to note. I wanted a true Fundamentalist--strong Christian woman but agree with my beliefs. I tried to find one in churches and failed for more than a dozen years or so (born again March 28, 1988). I found my wife at a singles dance (I know you all read it before. Ha.) because it was a bit easier to find one who isnt too focus on God. I hated this line like if you were trying to find a job. I hear this from Christian women too much, "Wait on the Lord." It really means, "Sorry Mark, I am not interested, now leave me alone!"

So, it is best interest for everyone to find someone really agree upon issues very closely. Not by the name of church. Ie-Baptists believe in marrying Baptists only. They forgot there are other Christians such as Narazeth, AnaBaptists, Assembly of God.. I know each denominations have slightly different doctrines. That is my point.

Well I'm Christian ( ELCA) Lutheran, My girlfriend is Wiccan, And my Boyfriend is Athiest. We all get along with it fine. They both respect me going to church and i respect their religious acts.

simple that both couple believe in same faith and it will work out fine.

I know some religions ban dating or marrying outside their religion.. And I know people believe it's easier if both people are the same faith.. I've heard this so much it drives me crazy.

But I'm not asking for your opinon, I'm asking if religion plays a part in your dating life or with your boyfriend or girlfriend.

I know some religions ban dating or marrying outside their religion.. And I know people believe it's easier if both people are the same faith.. I've heard this so much it drives me crazy.

But I'm not asking for your opinon, I'm asking if religion plays a part in your dating life or with your boyfriend or girlfriend.

Yes my Roman Catholic Grandma beleives that the couple should have same faith.

She is happy that all of her children married to Roman Catholics except my Dad. My Dad married Baptist (my mom). Of course she disapproved of Dad's marriage to my mom because of this. She often said that it's bad luck if married couple who have different religions and claim that she is right about my parents... They divorced but not because of religions ground what my Grandma thought.

My Grandma made sure that their grandchildren should involved with someone who have the same religions as them. She disapproved my ex-boyfriends because of their different religions... She don't care what sort of personality my ex-boyfriend but worry which religions they have. Oh Well

Until I met German (my present hubby). My Grandma jumped consulision and know straight way that my hubby is Catholic because she knows that a lot of Catholics in Germany without ask him which religion he has... I was like Huh? We said nothing and let her talk... My Grandma like him very much and keep telling me how lucky I am to have him etc. Until wedding preparation, I handed my hubby's religion to Roman Catholic Priest who plan to marry us. My family including Grandma were :eek3: to learn that my hubby is not Catholic but Luther. I was like huh? when I saw their shock impression and ask them either they disappoint or what? They said noooo and thought that my hubby is Roman Catholic because a lot of Germans are Roman Catholic. My Grandma is real shock and said nothing because our wedding preparation goes close and close... but she still love my hubby no matter what... :D

Having the same faith works best for me. I've been with a guy with a different religion as mine and everyday seemed like a riot.

I believe that a chord of 3 strands is strong than 2? ^_^ My girlfriend and I have the same beliefs.

cld....being of a diferent religion does not make one a non-believer.

simple that both couple believe in same faith and it will work out fine.

Or they can respect each other by compromise by going to church once awhile and do other things that are not religious related.

I have been in realtionship with women who are christians and I usually tell them to go to church by themselves. Once ina while I would go with them to churchto just keep them happy. But often they would rather to just stay in bed with me all sunday morning :D

My ex-husband and I did not share a common belief. The man I have begun dating is Christian like I am. The day after our date we met at church for the interpreted celebration. It meant a lot to me to share that with him. I think whether or not religion/beliefs play a part in a relationship depends on how much or if religion/beliefs matter to the people in the relationship.

cld....being of a diferent religion does not make one a non-believer.

Umm, let me make it more clearer, I meant christian married islam for instant, or christian marred hindu, christian married buddhist. Those, christians who believe in Christ, Islam doesn't, that is Islam is non believer. Nonbeliever is something that doesn't beleive the same view in religion wise.

Yes, it is extremely important to have the same faith. It does play a big part of my life. Have you thought about your kids? Where will they go? What will the consquence be if they are confused?

Shel90, you have no problems bec you believe the same as your hubby.

Women tend to yearn for their husband or BF to go with her to a place of worship. It usually makes them happy. Just as Kingofnoobs admit he goes to make his girlfriend happy.

to conclude this... I guess its best to have the same belief. When a sticky religious issue pops up, it will hurt. Someone will make a lot of sacrifice which is not good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back