Reasonable accomodation?

I had professors at Gallaudent whose ASL skills were poor but us deaf people had to adapt to their style of signing so....

I don't know what to say on this matter because hearing people r getting away with it wih jobs that requires ASL skills by having poor ASL skills.

I had professors at Gallaudent whose ASL skills were poor but us deaf people had to adapt to their style of signing so....

I don't know what to say on this matter because hearing people r getting away with it wih jobs that requires ASL skills by having poor ASL skills.

Wouldn't that be Gallaudet's fault for hiring them?

Why did no one protest?

If writing's not part of the job, I think some training is still useful- what if the deaf person writes a note- so that people can understand each other. I don't think awareness is ever a bad thing. My job requires good written skills, which I have. I take phone calls but I'm not very good at hearing them- am ok on my mobile, no t setting, just noisy at work and there are quiet callers! My job's computer based. I wouldn't apply for something like a call centre, because I'd hate it, even if I could hear perfectly on the phone

Wouldn't that be Gallaudet's fault for hiring them?

Why did no one protest?

That was before the total revamp. That happened during the year I graduated so I heard that it is a lot better. I was new to the Deaf world at that time and couldnt identify those who had poor signing skills. I thought it was me as a new signer until later when I started meeting people and getting word that there were lots of complaints filed against this situation.

Not only at Gallaudet, but it is really everywhere. Educational terps with poor signing skills who get hired to interpret for deaf children who are mainstreamed, some TODs, and so forth.

I agree that for the most part, they shouldn't nick pick on the grammar/spelling. No one is perfect. However, I would say that if Microsoft Word can't even fix your grammar on a regular basis, then something's gotta be done.

As for the teachers who are not fluent in signing, do you think it's just because they wouldn't hire deaf people who are fluent in ASL or there is a lack of interest in those kinda jobs, therefore a lack of job candidates?

I know some of you may not believe this but I did pass English 101 in a community college. Ask me if I deserve it. No, I don't think so because the teacher knew I was deaf so she was grading me from that prospective. I almost applied for a job in Newspaper field (there were positions I was interested, and I had the education for it)... but I decided not to because I was afraid they would turn me down because I don't think my writing can compete with a hearing person's writing.

I know some of you may not believe this but I did pass English 101 in a community college. Ask me if I deserve it. No, I don't think so because the teacher knew I was deaf so she was grading me from that prospective. I almost applied for a job in Newspaper field (there were positions I was interested, and I had the education for it)... but I decided not to because I was afraid they would turn me down because I don't think my writing can compete with a hearing person's writing.

First of all, I honestly don't know what you are talking about. I'm not an expert but it seems to me that your English is on par with hearing people.

Second of all, they didn't turn you down, you THOUGHT they might turn you down. There's a difference.

You had the education for it and you have good writing skills, so I think it's safe to say that you had the qualified skills for the job, which should be the most important thing.

If you truly don't think you deserved to pass English 101 (which is BS to me honestly), then do you think it was right for you to pass English 101 because the teacher "gave you some slack"?

yes, she did... you see when I first enter college, they told me I didn't pass the requirement for writing... so I had to take a special class in college and then move on to English 101 (I also took few other writing course in college after that). My writing was really bad back then. this is my writing in about 12 years later. It took me 12 years and many internet/captioning later and I don't think I still there yet.

edited: I should mention that I had a tutor who went over my homework for me.. I couldn't do it on my own.

here is what I failed on, in my college, everyone entering have to take this test: http://www.act.org/compass/sample/writing.html

Last edited:
I recently went to a training meant for human resources people to hire people with disabilities. I got a workbook that lists possible accomodation for each type of disability. Here are a few quotes for deafness (congenital):

"Provide co-worker and management awareness training to teach basic sign language and the writing style some deaf people use."

"Allow extra time and/or use of qualified interpreters for written tests which cannot be waived."

These accomodations make sense if the job does not require writing skills. However, if the job does require reading and writing skills, do you think these accomodations should still apply?

Personally, I don't think so. Deaf people can write English and there's so many free services that can help them develop their English. Also, I see no reason why co-workers should take training to adapt to the deaf person's writing style if writing is part of the deaf person's job. However, I'd like to hear the flip side of the coin.

Thoughts?

When defining "reasonable accommodation", the brochure identified those that could occur across a continuum and in various circumstances. It is intended to used as a guideling, with adjustments made to fit the individual circumstance.

Personally, I think the training is a great job site accommodation. It certainly serves to increase understanding and cooperative behavior from the hearing co-workers. Multicultural and diversity training is always a good idea. Additionally, this particular accommodation is used to facilitate co-worker to co-worker and in house communication, not communication intended for outside the job site.

I forgot to answer you, No she shouldn't but she did and I had alot of help because in order for me to get any degree, I have to have English 101.

I forgot to answer you, No she shouldn't but she did and I had alot of help because in order for me to get any degree, I have to have English 101.

Yeppers. It is one of those generals that has to be completed for all students. In fact, I did a seminar and a handbook for the English dept. of my college as a grad student. Topic...cultural differences that affect writing styles of the deaf student.

Awareness is one thing, but allowing for it to continue is another thing.

Should co-workers adapt on a frequent basis the "deaf style writing" of their deaf coworker?

I am not talking about small talk during lunch, etc. I am talking about reports, memos, emails, documents, etc that all pertain to the job.

Keep in mind that there were other accommodations listed that do not require effort (or at least MINIMAL effort) on the co-worker's part (nor the deaf person's part).

Awareness is one thing, but allowing for it to continue is another thing.

Should co-workers adapt on a frequent basis the "deaf style writing" of their deaf coworker?

I am not talking about small talk during lunch, etc. I am talking about reports, memos, emails, documents, etc that all pertain to the job.

Keep in mind that there were other accommodations listed that do not require effort (or at least MINIMAL effort) on the co-worker's part (nor the deaf person's part).

The accommodation is not about co-workers adapting the deaf writing style. It is about them being aware of the particular style so that miscommunication between deaf and hearing don't occur based on that writing style. As well as fostering understanding that a different writing style is not necessarily an indication of competency.

You know, I think we all agree that the hearing need to be more aware of deafness and the impact on the individual. This is a great way to begin that goal.

It depends on the style. If it in ASL style, deaf people need to learn English writing and actually use it.

if it is English but understandable, but not all that great. I wouldn't use them for writing to the general population (like emailing customers, making ADs, etc.). It would make the company look bad. BUT if it communicating co-workers to co-workers.. I think they should allow them.

The accommodation is not about co-workers adapting the deaf writing style. It is about them being aware of the particular style so that miscommunication between deaf and hearing don't occur based on that writing style. As well as fostering understanding that a different writing style is not necessarily an indication of competency.

You know, I think we all agree that the hearing need to be more aware of deafness and the impact on the individual. This is a great way to begin that goal.

As for the bolded, you are correct. But I also hope people don't assume that that style is "the best they can do" and allow it to continue, when there are interpreters (video relay or whatever) or English development classes. After all, isn't ASL better translated than transcribed?

The training made me realize the incredible resources out there for accommodations.

And A, I am talking about VERY deaf writing style, where it takes co workers a while to read it and can cause a lot of misunderstandings/confusion, not grammar mistakes where they forgot the past tense, etc.

As for the bolded, you are correct. But I also hope people don't assume that that style is "the best they can do" and allow it to continue, when there are interpreters (video relay or whatever) or English development classes. After all, isn't ASL better translated than transcribed?

The training made me realize the incredible resources out there for accommodations.

And A, I am talking about VERY deaf writing style, where it takes co workers a while to read it and can cause a lot of misunderstandings/confusion, not grammar mistakes where they forgot the past tense, etc.

There is always room for improvement. I read emails from hearing professionals on a daily basis that have absolutely horrid English skills.:lol: So, yeah...I am in agreement with professional writing seminars being offered...for all employees.

There is always room for improvement. I read emails from hearing professionals on a daily basis that have absolutely horrid English skills.:lol: So, yeah...I am in agreement with professional writing seminars being offered...for all employees.

Agreed.

I guess it just bothers me that people pity deaf people and allows for poor performance because "it's the best they can do.", when it's so easy to find a way around it. Companies would expect more out of hearing people with bad writing skills, and should treat deaf people the same.

Agreed.

I guess it just bothers me that people pity deaf people and allows for poor performance because "it's the best they can do.", when it's so easy to find a way around it. Companies would expect more out of hearing people with bad writing skills, and should treat deaf people the same.

I see your point. But I have specifically requested this accommodation for both the workplace and for the educational arena. Not because I pity deaf people and think this is the best they can do, but because society has limited what they have been given the opportunity to learn, and because cultural differences are often reflected in the way things are phrased. We tend to think that difference in phrasing equals lack of understanding or incompetence when that is not the case. I use this accommodation to allow for the deaf clients I have to work to their capabilities and not be restricted to under employment based on ineffective criteria for judging competence.

Back