Reasonable accomodation?

I don't think they were being totally serious, A. It is just mild conversation.
I wasn't even thinking about AD when I was mentioning forums, I had other sites in mind.

But somehow I do get the feeling if someone really wants to improve their basic grammar, reading and writing in any form is crucial. That even goes for replying on forums when it's a honest attempt at actually writing something. Reading alone (as in being a lurker) would not help much, nor would being a verbose "high" brower.

Absolutely, Naisho. You've got to put your observations into practice. That also brings up the idea of having an audience. Obviously if you don't write anything, you have no audience. Your writing is only as effective and "good" if it is able to reach and influence your intended audience in the ways that you intended.

I still like to know who because I do want to learn. writing is so confusing. no biggie.

It's really not my place to discuss who is and isn't a good writer on this forum. Botts and I like to play around because we both have an appreciation for the written word. If you'd like some recommendations for what to read to help improve your writing, I'd be happy to point you towards some good writers and exercises.

I think it will be a mixed bag; bilingualism, true bilingualism has been a hard nut to crack on two fronts: Acceptance by those in control at State capitals and the dearth of individuals truly skilled in both English and ASL.

Good points. The best we can do is extrapolate what we know about the advantages of bilingualism and the effects it has on cognition when it involves other languages.

Okay so being deaf alone DOES affect writing/reading abilities then? I'm guessing because hearing people hear English more and get more practice with the way English is structured and more practice with vocabulary.

In that case, I disagree. People learn more English reading a book than hearing conversations. By this logic, hearing people should know English well, simply by listening.

That's why I don't think it's right to not accommdate hearing people with a bad education but accommodate deaf people with the same bad education.

Well, it isn't so much about practice. It is about acquiring the language as it was meant to be acquired on the timeline that is optimal for development. This provides an innate understanding of the purpose of language, and allows one to creatively play with it. That is the difference between a native language user, and one who is fluent but not native. Education really isn't the issue. There are numerous deaf who have a good command of English, both written and spoken, but are unable to use language the way it is intended to be used. They did not have the opportunity, as a result of not hearing and being unable to learn peripherally, to acquire the language.

Well, it isn't so much about practice. It is about acquiring the language as it was meant to be acquired on the timeline that is optimal for development. This provides an innate understanding of the purpose of language, and allows one to creatively play with it. That is the difference between a native language user, and one who is fluent but not native. Education really isn't the issue. There are numerous deaf who have a good command of English, both written and spoken, but are unable to use language the way it is intended to be used. They did not have the opportunity, as a result of not hearing and being unable to learn peripherally, to acquire the language.

Okay, I am talking about 8th grade English which I assume should be sufficient for most of the workplace. You are talking about creative uses for one's language. You are talking about utilizing a language to one's best ability. I'm talking about BASIC fundamental English where you can write the basic information needed and it can be read and understood as intended even with grammar/spelling mistakes (which can be corrected with Word btw).

Surely, the deaf can do this.

ASL primary users can do this as well as a foreign person.

Deaf people from a poor education can do this as well as a hearing person from a poor education.

That's my belief, at least.

Back