Rape affects almost 20% of US women, study says

I was surprised to learn that asthma was identified as a PSTD symptom after getting raped. I thought asthma was a biological condition not a mental one?

I'm surprised too.

I like to hug. I notice that with a lot of women, if I hug just a tad too long, they tense up. It is subtle but noticeable and I berate myself for making them feel that way. It affects everyone.

1. Education appear to not give strength enough on women to make report
2. Men aren't enough to respect women, unless, she did on purpose to make males do it.
3. See No 1.

I heard of case where a woman over 80 yo was getting raped by her nephew !
The bastard got rid of his aunt health aide and visiting nurse and moved in and the tried his aunt to her bed and raped her everyday! Her nurse was worried about the woman when she was no allowed to talk to her on the phone and called the cops! I hope the HELL you don't think the aunt is the blame for being raped. She was too frighten to call the polices. It is NEVER the woman fault that she get rape! Rape has nothing to with sex , it all about an asshole wanting to have control over a woman! You made me sick!!

That is frightening. Ladies, how do you suggest women take a stand on this?

One thing women should is not talk on a cell phone when walking alone, and women should try to walk with a friend if they have walk at night. Learn how to fight back, there are classes for women to take .

Doesn't surprise me.

Lots of women do not have faith in the justice system, so they do not report it. I can understand that.

This is one reason why I would like to do maga krav someday.

2. Men aren't enough to respect women, unless, she did on purpose to make males do it.
3. See No 1.

No woman ever does anything to make a man sexually assault her.:roll:

I was surprised to learn that asthma was identified as a PSTD symptom after getting raped. I thought asthma was a biological condition not a mental one?

It can be triggered through stress.

Stress, be upset, crying, all induce asthma attacks. Final exam weeks I use my inhaler much more often. I remember high school, when not want participate gym, would think about upsetting things, bring on asthma attack, no more gym! Ah 14 year old Sunny not so smart lol.

What are men going to do to stop rape? For their wives, sisters, mothers, daughters, etc.

I've taken several self-defense classes and currently practice with a man every week. I take precautions when I'm out going around doing my errands and stuff. I consider the image I send out when I'm walking, time of day, what place I'm coming from, where someone could be approaching me from, what I'd use as a weapon that I may have or be carrying, and what I think I'd do if they did such-and-such or attacked from this way.

I've tried Krav and would like to take classes in it.

I was assaulted in college.

Your comment appalls me. Women would never do something "on purpose" like that. Women are allowed to dress any way they want, don't tell us what to wear, don't tell us we're slutty and that we deserved it. Don't tell us we asked for it.

And education? Seriously. No matter what education level... Seriously, your comment is just disgusting.

No? I think I'm not make it clear... I have know that there men aren't respect to leave women alone however.... I know it sound disgusting. There are several amount of false rape reports because people look at women as pity. I'm not saying that happen often but, it can happen.

Here is example
http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2011/oct/17/woman-jailed-false-rape-claim

As if some of them are false and women got away with it.

Wirelessly posted (droid)

I resent that I don't have the same freedom that men do. I have to be aware of my surroundings. I've had men follow me-- one out of a grocery store and two while I was driving. I've had guys say things out of their cars and on the streets. All if this happens while going about my daily life and not trying to draw attention to myself. I just want to be left alone. Guys, when you witness other men doing stuff like this, please tell them to knock it off. Every time a man degrades women, he says that threatening behavior is acceptable.

All of us need to check our attitudes and behavior. I've seen women make the wrong remarks as well.

Wirelessly posted (droid)

I resent that I don't have the same freedom that men do. I have to be aware of my surroundings. I've had men follow me-- one out of a grocery store and two while I was driving. I've had guys say things out of their cars and on the streets. All if this happens while going about my daily life and not trying to draw attention to myself. I just want to be left alone. Guys, when you witness other men doing stuff like this, please tell them to knock it off. Every time a man degrades women, he says that threatening behavior is acceptable.

If it is a woman I am with, I will definitely say something. Otherwise, I am not going to risk escalating the situation and being attacked by the douchebag just for looking at a woman with the eyes of a pig, cat-calling, etc. Sometimes, you need to pick your battles. I would certainly intervene any time I saw a man assaulting or seriously threatening a woman. But we all have a responsibility to take precautions for ourselves. (See dogmom's post).

Sometimes, a very strong odor of man-hate can be smelled on your posts. Not cool.

Well talking about deaf children, historically have been found to be at a higher risk for sexual abuse than their hearing counterparts. The most recent research indicates as much as 50% of deaf children experience sexual abuse compared with 10%-25% of hearing children. From the article, Black & Glickman (2006) reviewed hospital records of 64 deaf adults who were admitted for psychiatric treatment and found a higher rate of PTSD in the deaf compared with the hearing population: 29.7% vs. 6.6%. Another report indicated a nearly 90% rate of reported physical or sexual abuse and/or neglect. Sad isn't it?

Well talking about deaf children, historically have been found to be at a higher risk for sexual abuse than their hearing counterparts. The most recent research indicates as much as 50% of deaf children experience sexual abuse compared with 10%-25% of hearing children. From the article, Black & Glickman (2006) reviewed hospital records of 64 deaf adults who were admitted for psychiatric treatment and found a higher rate of PTSD in the deaf compared with the hearing population: 29.7% vs. 6.6%. Another report indicated a nearly 90% rate of reported physical or sexual abuse and/or neglect. Sad isn't it?

PTSD in the deaf can occur for any number of reasons, including bullying in the mainstream. Diagnosis of PTSD in and of itself is not an indication of sexual abuse.

Mental disorders occur in the deaf population at approximately the same rate as they occur in the hearing population. Actually, it is only the risk of being diagnosed with a disorder based on the clinician's lack of understanding of Deaf culture and ASL that is a greater risk to the deaf.

I know it's not the same but Jillio your last paragraph of above post reminds me of the history of over-diagnosis of learning disabilities or behavioral disorders in children of color - especially little boys-

the issue of mis-representation due to lack of understanding and "majority" bias

I know it's not the same but Jillio your last paragraph of above post reminds me of the history of over-diagnosis of learning disabilities or behavioral disorders in children of color - especially little boys-

the issue of mis-representation due to lack of understanding and "majority" bias

Absolutely. Culturally bound diagnosis.

3. See No 1.

WOW!!!!!!!!!! that answer not making sense. you piss me off very big!!!! male chauvnist close mind about women, my good friend was got raped and sexual assaults very bad. she need going to hospital bec so bad hurt. you know what is everyone is saying? they say "your fault for wears sexy on make up and clothing". it is shocking me so much they say that bec they worry more about clothes than she is got serious hurt. They WRONG!!!!!!! never woman fault she is get raping by man. it is man fault, because he sicko mind and unable controls himself.

Back