Racism?

H, of course I would not have expected nothing less of you. It is a blanket statement as much as it is an opinion formed on the current information and observation I have. I couldn't even begin to summarize all of the info I have in one post, and I still say I don't claim to know what the future will bring us.. I can only claim guesses to the best of my capacities. Good term, though! I appreciate the request for more details beyond a blanket statement where history and its patterns are concerned.

The first "recorded" account of using sign language starts with Juan Pablo Bonet who believed that deaf people should use fingerspelling before learning to speak and lipread, and it sure wasn't ASL. We are taught that Laurent Clerc and Gallaudet taught deaf people French sign language, and that langauge mutated into what we know as American Sign language. It is also known by Norway that the Norwegian sign language (or norsk tegnspråk) is influenced by french language through the occupation of the Danes so I was able to note some similarities between ASL and NSL in person. So I have come to my conclusion that sign language has a strong possibility of evolving if not completely eradicated with the use of technology down to a memory and academic curiousity. Of course, only time will tell! Feel free to do further research beyond this, and refer to other sources. I bet there are other self-proclaimed historians here who may want to add something. Personally, I am not worried about eradicating deaf culture or any other culture completely since there are always something to learn from every culture, even if it doesn't exist any longer. Think Mayans!

http://members.aol.com/deafcultureinfo/deaf_history.htm

(Psst I still favor telepathy over everything.)

Now we are getting a bit off topic, and I had fun doing that - Vampy started a thread on minorities having exclusive clubs/organizations by questioning the validity of having any at all.

I inserted another perspective on having such clubs - with the flexibility of welcoming people who are different and they can give unconditional support and perhaps even new insights- and participate by spreading awareness about the club's uniqueness to promote respect and tolerance.

You're right. ASL will very likely be around for years to come. The Hebrew language has been around for years too. Now, it's becoming a dying language. ASL started not long ago... and it too could become a dying language. I'm sure it won't happen while I'm still alive.

Liza said:
I inserted another perspective on having such clubs - with the flexibility of welcoming people who are different and they can give unconditional support and perhaps even new insights- and participate by spreading awareness about the club's uniqueness to promote respect and tolerance.
Well, from what I know... you have to be part of that race in order to be part of their executive board. Also, not many organizations really do much for the community except for their own kind while most major student organizations and Greek do more for the community. Statistically, out of over 120 organizations here at RIT... more than half of the community service has been contributed by Greeks along. There are only 24 Greek organizations and over 100 non-Greek organizations. About 20 Greek organizations encourage diversity while most non-Greek organizations encourage their own "kind". Even I don't feel welcome to participated or attend in any of the other multi-cultural organization events.

*Looking around* Very well said here by you, people.
I'm always an observant.
It's simply being made by those people from long, long time ago. Oh well, I don't care about clubs or anything. Just what might have caught my attention to meddle around. About what I have to say about some issues, I prefer to keep it to myself. :mrgreen:

The Heretic said:
Educated opinion.. heh. I've never been impressed by arguments by assertion, and yers take the cake.

After all, meteorologists and economic forecasters know more about the subject than the average joe. Their educated guesses are generally better than the uninformed joe's opinions. If you want to reduce all guesses about the future to equal status, then that's your prerogative, but just saying so doesn't make it so. :slap:

Heretic.. I've been reading your posts lately and I kept quiet. There was something about your name I had to check up on..

"heretic"-
A person who holds controversial opinions, especially one who publicly dissents from the officially accepted dogma of the Roman Catholic Church.

-A heretic is one whose errors are doctrinal, and usually of a malignant character, tending to subvert the true faith.

Heretic.. everyone is entitled to their opinions as much as you are.. however you do not have the right to put others down. There's a word called respect and please respect my fellow AD members.

Freaky said:
Heretic.. everyone is entitled to their opinions as much as you are.. however you do not have the right to put others down. There's a word called respect and please respect my fellow AD members.
:wtf:
I'm not putting anyone down. I just deconstructed BBNT's underwhelming response in the vain hopes of imitating the young boy who pointed out the obvious: The Emperor Has No Clothes. My response was directed at his response, not at him personally.

I respect others enough to share what i think. If that is seen as disrespect then i am not welcome and don't belong here. :confused:

Liza said:
H, of course I would not have expected nothing less of you. It is a blanket statement as much as it is an opinion formed on the current information and observation I have. I couldn't even begin to summarize all of the info I have in one post, and I still say I don't claim to know what the future will bring us.. I can only claim guesses to the best of my capacities. Good term, though! I appreciate the request for more details beyond a blanket statement where history and its patterns are concerned.

Yes, it's like saying "show me the money." Assertions are easy to make, harder to justify.

The first "recorded" account of using sign language starts with Juan Pablo Bonet who believed that deaf people should use fingerspelling before learning to speak and lipread, and it sure wasn't ASL. We are taught that Laurent Clerc and Gallaudet taught deaf people French sign language, and that langauge mutated into what we know as American Sign language. It is also known by Norway that the Norwegian sign language (or norsk tegnspråk) is influenced by french language through the occupation of the Danes so I was able to note some similarities between ASL and NSL in person. So I have come to my conclusion that sign language has a strong possibility of evolving if not completely eradicated with the use of technology down to a memory and academic curiousity.
Sorry for going off topic everyone. I'd like to continue this in another thread where it is more relevant. :)
Of course, only time will tell! Feel free to do further research beyond this, and refer to other sources. I bet there are other self-proclaimed historians here who may want to add something. Personally, I am not worried about eradicating deaf culture or any other culture completely since there are always something to learn from every culture, even if it doesn't exist any longer. Think Mayans!

I am in full agreement. :mrgreen:

(Psst I still favor telepathy over everything.)
Psst. Thought is inseparable from language, so even if telepathy became a reality we will still have confusion between people. :(
Now we are getting a bit off topic, and I had fun doing that - Vampy started a thread on minorities having exclusive clubs/organizations by questioning the validity of having any at all.

A majority is already a club unto itself- it needs no organizational structure when the majority already enjoys all the perks of society. Therefore, minorities need artificial structure in order to maintain their culture.
Q. E. D.

*amen* i do uddy how y'all feel about that FYI i m not kind of racist bec i used grew up with white and blk it's nothing with me.. and look at me i get a job already since i work in meijer store for 1 and half years also there 2 deaf people in meijer store too..after i leaving due reasonl... then now i get new job work at resturant it's not bother me.. i work with white and blk and any race nothing with this also i was ex track team from high school and all of them are white and few black i don't care about it.. as long i m respect them.. bec I been experience being people who is racist to me i alway ingore them and not bother to me i just bring who i am.. also i have lots friend who is white and black and latin ects. its not bother me if they feel not comfortable then it's show respect each other that's all . also i have white family and my 4 cousin who is bixrace (mix half white and half blk). Same image date interracial relationship same thing look at them who has interracial relationship or not but it's hard explain to y'all I just want said something and look at me i m black so what i m not racist person.. example ok if someone call me n*gger i will said so what and ingore them.

smile
have nice nite!
LBGal

Last edited:
The Heretic said:
:wtf:
I'm not putting anyone down. I just deconstructed BBNT's underwhelming response in the vain hopes of imitating the young boy who pointed out the obvious: The Emperor Has No Clothes. My response was directed at his response, not at him personally.

I respect others enough to share what i think. If that is seen as disrespect then i am not welcome and don't belong here. :confused:

My simple responce was all that was needed to explain that your opinion is just that, an opinion

Uh. . no.

bbnt said:
My simple responce was all that was needed to explain that your opinion is just that, an opinion

Actually bbnt , I have disagree with you on that particular terminology.

What The Heretic just stated is actually classified as an educated guess. His statement was merely the parroting of something that has already been justified from statistics, interpolations, and trends that biologist and geneticists have gleaned over the last several decades of researches done on deafness. It wasn't something that was simply conjured out of your rectum.

An opinion, on the other hand, relies on no such an empirical evidence to justify ones statement. There's no proof for it. It's just simply a belief, or a conclusion that is held without any justification whatsoever for it.

On the other hand:

If you said "a medical opinion", then perhaps you would've been correct, because it is actually the medical opinion amongst the scientists that deafness, just as well as various types of diseases will actually be lessened (if not eliminated) over the years, thanks to progress made in their respective fields.

Or Perhaps:

If you wish to state it was but a mere "public opinion", then. . No. . . . According to this board, what The Heretic had to say. . from my observation . . . was not necessarily the prevailing view on this thread, however that does not necessarily make that the correct stance for everyone else to hold.

To everyone else on this thread:

"That's what an army is - a mob; they don't fight with courage that's born in them, but with courage that's borrowed from their mass, and from their officers."

- Mark Twain

Praise Umanita!

~Al-Khawarizmi

Last edited:
VamPyroX said:
There are times when it is strongly encouraged to have diversity in various organizations, jobs, and schools. I think it's good, but it's also important to find someone with good qualities. These days, anyone can get slammed with a lawsuit for not hiring minorities. I've heard of cases where blacks are not hired and whites are so they sue for discrimination. What if those whites happened to have the qualities that those companies are looking for... that the blacks didn't have? Should you really blame them for their race? No, blame their personal lives. I've seen other races sit around protesting cuz they won't be given jobs. Well, the whole week they've been protesting... they could have actually spent in looking for a job! The same goes for gays/lesbians. I've seen gays/lesbians who have great qualities and definitely would be great for various jobs. There are cases where gays sue a packaging company for not hiring them. Well, in the job description... applicants are expected to lift more than 25 lbs and the gay applicants who applied said that they couldn't so they weren't hired and a straight guy who interviewed after them got the job cuz he could lift 100 lbs.

Overall, I think that minorities are being stupid for wasting their time accusing others of discrimination, racism, and sexism... when they could actually use that time to put themselves to good use! Can you do the job? No? Then leave. Don't sue me cuz you're black or hispanic. Don't sue me cuz you're gay or a lesbian. Don't sue me cuz you're deaf.

from your conclusion, you just called deaf people stupid... w

AL-KHAWARIZMI said:
Actually bbnt , I have disagree with you on that particular terminology.

What The Heretic just stated is actually classified as an educated guess. His statement was merely the parroting of something that has already been justified from statistics, interpolations, and trends that biologist and geneticists have gleaned over the last several decades of researches done on deafness. It wasn't something that was simply conjured out of your rectum.

An opinion, on the other hand, relies on no such an empirical evidence to justify ones statement. There's no proof for it. It's just simply a belief, or a conclusion that is held without any justification whatsoever for it.

On the other hand:

If you said "a medical opinion", then perhaps you would've been correct, because it is actually the medical opinion amongst the scientists that deafness, just as well as various types of diseases will actually be lessened (if not eliminated) over the years, thanks to progress made in their respective fields.

Or Perhaps:

If you wish to state it was but a mere "public opinion", then. . No. . . . According to this board, what The Heretic had to say. . from my observation . . . was not necessarily the prevailing view on this thread, however that does not necessarily make that the correct stance for everyone else to hold.

To everyone else on this thread:

"That's what an army is - a mob; they don't fight with courage that's born in them, but with courage that's borrowed from their mass, and from their officers."

- Mark Twain

Praise Umanita!

~Al-Khawarizmi

dude, you are not fooling anyone with your multiple screen names.

Oh puh-leeeez

bbnt said:

Since this is the On-Topic Debate forum, i'm going to chalk this response to the classical hand-wave.

Once you learn how to qualify your assertions, then feel free to get back to me and explain yourself. Since you seem to be incapable, then there's no point in treating all opinions the same as if there aren't any qualitative differences between them.
:zzz:

The Heretic said:
Since this is the On-Topic Debate forum, i'm going to chalk this response to the classical hand-wave.

Once you learn how to qualify your assertions, then feel free to get back to me and explain yourself. Since you seem to be incapable, then there's no point in treating all opinions the same as if there aren't any qualitative differences between them.
:zzz:

dude, you need a major ego check .. can you proof that YOUR opinions are "superior" than the others? Lets say, how about some published work. Hmm, a degree from somewhere?

lame and lamerer

kalboy said:
dude, you need a major ego check .. can you proof that YOUR opinions are "superior" than the others? Lets say, how about some published work. Hmm, a degree from somewhere?

I just made a terrific argument in response to BBNT. Try and address it w/o wasting everybody's time with useless red herrings and non-sequiturs. :nono:

The Heretic said:
I just made a terrific argument in response to BBNT. Try and address it w/o wasting everybody's time with useless red herrings and non-sequiturs. :nono:

oh ha, so you can't actually proof that your opinions are better. Ok-ay, I rest my case. :rofl:
by the way, if a classic "talk to the hand" gesture qualifies as a terrific arguement. Lil' Kim must blow OJ Simpson's attorneys out of the water.

kalboy said:
from your conclusion, you just called deaf people stupid... w
Which part of my post pointed out that deaf people are stupid?

I knew a deaf guy who thought about suing Target for not providing him services to help him with his deafness. I asked what they didn't provide and he mentioned that they wouldn't provide a TTY/TDD for him to use, wouldn't contact him via email instead of by phone, and wouldn't provide an interpreter during employee meetings. I then asked him if he ever asked for any of those things and he said, "no." Case solved!

They just set up a new Computer Club here at NTID. So far, it's looking good since they allow anyone in and it's more of an educational club as well as a beneficial club. Glad to see a club that isn't biased against anything!

VamPyroX said:
They just set up a new Computer Club here at NTID. So far, it's looking good since they allow anyone in and it's more of an educational club as well as a beneficial club. Glad to see a club that isn't biased against anything!

OHHHH I get it. Maybe they won't let you join their clubs on campus. Have you ever went to to an "asian"/"black" club meeting before? Have they ever deny your request to be a part of their clubs?

kalboy said:
oh ha, so you can't actually proof that your opinions are better. Ok-ay, I rest my case. :rofl:
by the way, if a classic "talk to the hand" gesture qualifies as a terrific arguement. Lil' Kim must blow OJ Simpson's attorneys out of the water.
:laugh2:
You obviously jumped in late in this thread, Kalboy. Would it be too difficult for you to scroll up and read the other posts? I don't see any reason to play to your music and repeat myself. If you can, then address my first post in this thread and point out where i didn't "proof" my point. If you can't (and i'm a betting man that you won't) then why bother?

Back