Racism?

VamPyroX

bloody phreak from hell
Reaction score
Here at NTID, there are hispanic clubs, ebony clubs, asian clubs, and gay/lesbian clubs. Some of my friends brought up a few questions to the director of clubs. They asked if a white club or a straight club could be set up. The director said no because that was considered racism and sexist.

What's your opinion on this? Being white is a race. Being straight is a form of sexuality.

i agree it may sound like racism/sexism -- but if u looked at the overall picture -- other races are a minority same applies to the gay/lesbians -- the thought of setting up a white club would sound too strongly of white supremacy and in that i would think thats the big reason why they said no on founding a "white club" and with the history here in the USA ref to KKK and the Aryan Nations theyre afraid to have that founded and end up in a racial war among the students or faculty/staff

Hmm...that's a good question -- really don't know the real answer for this. Perhaps someone else will enlighten you on this eventually. This really has made me think....strange that they would say it's racism if someone wanted to establish a straight or white club....whilst they allow ebony and so forth clubs to be set up. Maybe it's because they're more of the minority groups? Whites are the majority of the community. I reckon that'd be the reason.

There are times when it is strongly encouraged to have diversity in various organizations, jobs, and schools. I think it's good, but it's also important to find someone with good qualities. These days, anyone can get slammed with a lawsuit for not hiring minorities. I've heard of cases where blacks are not hired and whites are so they sue for discrimination. What if those whites happened to have the qualities that those companies are looking for... that the blacks didn't have? Should you really blame them for their race? No, blame their personal lives. I've seen other races sit around protesting cuz they won't be given jobs. Well, the whole week they've been protesting... they could have actually spent in looking for a job! The same goes for gays/lesbians. I've seen gays/lesbians who have great qualities and definitely would be great for various jobs. There are cases where gays sue a packaging company for not hiring them. Well, in the job description... applicants are expected to lift more than 25 lbs and the gay applicants who applied said that they couldn't so they weren't hired and a straight guy who interviewed after them got the job cuz he could lift 100 lbs.

Overall, I think that minorities are being stupid for wasting their time accusing others of discrimination, racism, and sexism... when they could actually use that time to put themselves to good use! Can you do the job? No? Then leave. Don't sue me cuz you're black or hispanic. Don't sue me cuz you're gay or a lesbian. Don't sue me cuz you're deaf.

Unfortunately The older generation that runs everything today is still racist. Many of the people that own businesses are in the 50's 60's, and 70's ,and were still alive when we had segregation. It wasn't that long ago when we had only 1 Black NFL quarterback.

I've seen many minorities get turned down for jobs just because of the color of there skin. Many parents today would cringe at the thought of there child dating or marrying someone outside there race.

Everyday at work I here comments degrading Mexicans , blacks ,Asians and others simply because of the color of there skin. The majority of minorities don't sue for discrimination but the ones that do will have people blaming all of them for it.

What if whites become a minority? Would trying to set up a whites club be considered racism?

I just found out that they might be setting up a cochlear implant club here at RIT! In that case, I think I'll set up a no-hearing-aid club! Does that mean I'm discriminating?

Why were these clubs set up in the first place??? Maybe you should take a hard look at that.

bbnt said:
Why were these clubs set up in the first place??? Maybe you should take a hard look at that.
According to the flyers, it's to help those find better CI technology information and meet others who have CIs. If this keeps up, we'll have a bunch of students with CIs who stop signing... the end of ASL?

VamPyroX said:
According to the flyers, it's to help those find better CI technology information and meet others who have CIs. If this keeps up, we'll have a bunch of students with CIs who stop signing... the end of ASL?

So they set up a club to share information about specific needs related to CI's but you don't feel this shouldn't be allowed because you think it would be the end of ASL??

bbnt said:
So they set up a club to share information about specific needs related to CI's but you don't feel this shouldn't be allowed because you think it would be the end of ASL??

Apparently. :squint:

Deaf fundamentalists are as bad as religious fanatics of any stripe - they think their culture is perfect, above and beyond the times, and needs no improvement.

Face it folks - technological advances spell the end of deaf culture. Hell, it has already started if you pay attention to the impact of medical science on preventing early deafness (spinal meningitis, etc) and its prohibitive effect on the hearing impaired population. Yes, that spells a dying breed. :smoking:

In the future ASL will not be abandoned due to the rise of CI, but rather by the already-shrinking deaf population, and finally reduced to an academic curiosity.

If ancient Hebrew could be resuciated from the dead after a thousand years, then ASL can withstand technological advances no problem. But deaf culture on the other hand....
:afro:

Last edited:
The Heretic said:
Apparently. :squint:

Deaf fundamentalists are as bad as religious fanatics of any stripe - they think their culture is perfect, above and beyond the times, and needs no improvement.

Face it folks - technological advances spell the end of deaf culture. Hell, it has already started if you pay attention to the impact of medical science on preventing early deafness (spinal meningitis, etc) and its prohibitive effect on the hearing impaired population. Yes, that spells a dying breed. :smoking:

In the future ASL will not be abandoned due to the rise of CI, but rather by the already-shrinking deaf population, and finally reduced to an academic curiosity.

If ancient Hebrew could be resuciated from the dead after a thousand years, then ASL can withstand technological advances no problem. But deaf culture on the other hand....
:afro:

Your OPINION has been noted

halt in the name of informal logic!

bbnt said:
Your OPINION has been noted
Uh-huh.
FYI, I see a huge difference between opinion and knowledge. Opinion is generally uninformed, prejudiced and biased. Knowledge on the other hand is supported by facts and solid reasoning, and i like to delude myself that what i posted was much more than just mere opinion...

The Heretic said:
Uh-huh.
FYI, I see a huge difference between opinion and knowledge. Opinion is generally uninformed, prejudiced and biased. Knowledge on the other hand is supported by facts and solid reasoning, and i like to delude myself that what i posted was much more than just mere opinion...

It is an opinion if your talking about something in the future that hasn't happened yet. If you would like to call it a educated opinion that is fine but it is still just a opinion

The Heretic said:
Uh-huh.

Hun, I am skeptic of your statements. ASL or other sign languages of the world will evolve even if it wont be preserved in its current state today. History has proved that. I think sign languages will be here for generations to come. Technological advances will be cool to behold, though. Maybe we'll rely only on telepathy with no need for sign language or voice!

opinion or educated prediction/guess.... but it is still an observation based on the environment and information available around you at the time. Hell, I don't know for sure. LOL I'm using long term patterns from history that have proven themselves again and again.

As for having "exclusive" clubs, it does help finding support from mutual situation or characteristics - but what about having people who have none of these but they are a boon and could be your bridges into making the world a better place for all? For instance, I am thankful that the gay and lesbian organization at gally has made me welcome - I have attended their parties and events, and they havent made me feel out of place just because I'm straight. I go there because I want to have fun and to show support for my friends. I had a sweet womyn telling me she was grateful that there is someone like me who cares. What a wonderful soul that one is! I don't let others talk trash about people's sexual orientation and happiness without letting them know of my feelings, not even my father. ;)

Last edited:
bbnt said:
It is an opinion if your talking about something in the future that hasn't happened yet. If you would like to call it a educated opinion that is fine but it is still just a opinion

Educated opinion.. heh. I've never been impressed by arguments by assertion, and yers take the cake.

After all, meteorologists and economic forecasters know more about the subject than the average joe. Their educated guesses are generally better than the uninformed joe's opinions. If you want to reduce all guesses about the future to equal status, then that's your prerogative, but just saying so doesn't make it so. :slap:

The Heretic said:
Educated opinion.. heh. I've never been impressed by arguments by assertion, and yers take the cake.

After all, meteorologists and economic forecasters know more about the subject than the average joe. Their educated guesses are generally better than the uninformed joe's opinions. If you want to reduce all guesses about the future to equal status, then that's your prerogative, but just saying so doesn't make it so. :slap:

It just amazes me when they do those TV specials about what people in the past thought would happen in the future. All those intellectuals and all there mistakes are quite funny really. As far as those weathermen go they are always right when they say it's going rain aren't they?

Hun, I am skeptic of your statements. ASL or other sign languages of the world will evolve even if it wont be preserved in its current state today. History has proved that.

Hi Liza! What do you mean, 'history has proved that?' ASL is a relatively new language. After all if history is a blatant demonstration that languages evolve, that means some wither away and die off. No language will survive the winds of time - especially not English, and this is the most dominant language in the world today. What makes you think the language of a sub-culture will? I do advocate ASL or sign language, but not at the cost of potentially better means of communication. Wouldn't it be dogmatic otherwise? :mrgreen:

I think sign languages will be here for generations to come. Technological advances will be cool to behold, though. Maybe we'll rely only on telepathy with no need for sign language or voice!

Sign language is only a tool that helps us cope with the world Once we find other means of coping (and that will happen whether we want to or not) we will abandon sign language and leave it for the occasional curious yuppie with too much time on his/her hands. If nanotechnology or bioengineering ever gets beyond the speculative level of theorizing...

opinion or educated prediction/guess.... but it is still an observation based on the environment and information available around you at the time. Hell, I don't know for sure. LOL I'm using long term patterns from history that have proven themselves again and again.

Could you be more specific with regards to history? I have very little patience with blanket statements. :smash:

bbnt said:
It just amazes me when they do those TV specials about what people in the past thought would happen in the future. All those intellectuals and all there mistakes are quite funny really.
Yup, i get a belly laugh everytime we magnify the misses over the hits. After all they're funnier when they're wrong, right? Try again.
As far as those weathermen go they are always right when they say it's going rain aren't they?
:squint:
Their guesses are better, not always right. Check yourself.

Back