Quick ?

Good luck Mama Cant wait to see your post,will be thinking good thoughts for you!

Hear Again: I think my Audi said the reason they don't work with AB at this present time is 'cause they don't upgrade as often as Cochlear Americas does? I truly can't remember, oops.

Just yesterday I was reading how Freedom was geared more for children and AB is more for adults. . . is this true? If so then Imma feel like a dumbass for choosing Freedom altho I have to remind myself that whatever we all choose, we'd all still have some type of hearing from whatever brand we choose.

Tami: Thanks, will update you & everyone else when I return from the activation appt!

9 more hours!!!

Just yesterday I was reading how Freedom was geared more for children and AB is more for adults. . . is this true? If so then Imma feel like a dumbass for choosing Freedom altho I have to remind myself that whatever we all choose, we'd all still have some type of hearing from whatever brand we choose.

Nope, that is certainly not true. Any of the three companies are appropriate for both adults and children. There might be factors that make one brand a more appropriate choice such as Med El with its deeper insertion electrode. Otherwise, all things being equal...there really isn't an obvious choice. Where did you get this info?

FYI - I have the freedom and I'm loving every minute of it. No regrets.

My first choice was Freedom but my CI audi told me that I'm more likely to have success with the Med-El. She's the expert so I thought it a good idea to go with her recommendation.

sr171soars: I was browsing the web and somehow read that - but I was thinking to myself that everywhere else it says that all 3 models are for both children and adults. So I shrugged it off. . . I think it's just me worrying about making the right decision. lol.

SteveESP52: Yep, I had/have the pins & needle pain in my implanted ear - not fun!

Hear Again: I think my Audi said the reason they don't work with AB at this present time is 'cause they don't upgrade as often as Cochlear Americas does? I truly can't remember, oops.

deafmama,

That's interesting about AB not upgrading as often as Cochlear. From the research I've done (and continue to do) on CIs, there seems to be a "back and forth" pattern in regards to technological developments between the 3 CI manufacturers.

For example, company A creates something new technologically which company B improves upon. Then company B creates something entirely different and company A follows suit.

As for the Freedom being geared for children, I think this idea arises from the Freedom being water resistant.

From what I read on a CI forum, Cochlear's website has a picture of a child running through a sprinkler which reinforces the idea that the Freedom is a good choice for children.

As has been mentioned before, all 3 CI brands can be used with children and adults. Unless there is a medical reason to select one CI brand over another (for example, a CI candidate requiring a straight array), there is no reason why a person should be restricted to one brand over another. :)

Hear Again: I'm 28 & have two little girls [well not so little anymore, being 6 and 4!] and just the fact that kids can run under the sprinkler with the Freedom makes me happy 'cause I now don't have to freak out if I accidentally get wet or if I decide to enjoy a moment with my kids and run under the sprinkler to cool off on a hot summer day! Wheeeeeee! :]

Hear Again: I'm 28 & have two little girls [well not so little anymore, being 6 and 4!] and just the fact that kids can run under the sprinkler with the Freedom makes me happy 'cause I now don't have to freak out if I accidentally get wet or if I decide to enjoy a moment with my kids and run under the sprinkler to cool off on a hot summer day! Wheeeeeee! :]

LOL!

When I learned that the Freedom was water resistant, I was really excited because there are often times when I'm caught in a downpour. I've already been caught in a few downpours, but my Freedoms kept on ticking! I also have two 3Gs (the processor for the N24) and they aren't water resistant. If I were caught in a downpour wearing my 3Gs, I doubt they would survive. :)

Here's wishing you many happy hours of running through the sprinkler with your girls! :)

I believe the AB is water resistent too but they just haven't chosen to go through the process whereby one is allowed to advertise "water resistence".

Hear Again: I've been caught one too many downpour & had to quickly cover my hearing aid & look funny as hell running across the parking lot/yard with one hand covering my ear. Before 6 yrs ago, it used to be both hands would cover each hearing aid so I'd look extra funnier back then. lol. Hearing people must of wondered WTF is wrong with me. :P

I looooooooooooove rain so during the next school year whenever it pours when I'm picking my daughter up from school [Shes goes to a charter school, no busses, so we parents havve to park our car & walk to the front of the school to pick up our child 'til they're old enough to walk to our cars as there are several safety patrols helping out. . .] I'm gonna love not having to cover my aid anymore!!! [Well, my hearing aid, if I still wear it on my left, I'll have to but for the CI processor I won't have to!] Woohoo!

HURRY UP JUNE 21st, get here as fast as you can- in fact let's skip everyday but the 13th [daughter's K graduation] and go straight to the 21st. heh!

R2D2: I wonder why AB wouldn't choose to advertise it being water resistance? Is it to cover their asses in case it actually does break? :]

LOL!

When I learned that the Freedom was water resistant, I was really excited because there are often times when I'm caught in a downpour. I've already been caught in a few downpours, but my Freedoms kept on ticking! I also have two 3Gs (the processor for the N24) and they aren't water resistant. If I were caught in a downpour wearing my 3Gs, I doubt they would survive. :)

Here's wishing you many happy hours of running through the sprinkler with your girls! :)

I agree it is water resistant but not to the extent that everybody is crowing about it. I sweat with the best of them and notice all too often that I get water into the "filter" in the microphone cover. It really dampens the quality of sound and I then have to take it off to dry it out. Fortunately, it has not cause any big problems and I do have a "dry and store" to use. I have had resorted going back to the time tested strategy (when I had my HA) of taking it off before I do something that gets me really sweating.

As for sudden rain showers, I prefer to not risk it and turn my hat toward the CI side or do the time honored routine of tilting my head sideways (only works if one is unilateral). When you wear $6000 or so worth of electronic equipment, being safe than sorry seems to be a most practical thing. :whistle:

As for sudden rain showers, I prefer to not risk it and turn my hat toward the CI side or do the time honored routine of tilting my head sideways (only works if one is unilateral). When you wear $6000 or so worth of electronic equipment, being safe than sorry seems to be a most practical thing. :whistle:

I agree. Whenever I've been caught in a downpour, moderate rainfall or sleet, I've always used an umbrella and tried to shield both Freedoms as best I can. I don't wear hats, so I'm left with no alternative besides using a hood.

Hear Again: I've been caught one too many downpour & had to quickly cover my hearing aid & look funny as hell running across the parking lot/yard with one hand covering my ear. Before 6 yrs ago, it used to be both hands would cover each hearing aid so I'd look extra funnier back then. lol. Hearing people must of wondered WTF is wrong with me. :P

***LOL! I've done the same thing myself. In fact, I remember one time I was with a friend shopping. It was raining that day and after we left the store, I put both of my hands up to my HAs to cover them. My friend asked me what I was doing and when I told her, she laughed. As has already been mentioned, when you're wearing an expensive piece of equipment like HAs or a CI processor, the last thing you want to do is risk damage no matter how silly you look. :)***

I looooooooooooove rain so during the next school year whenever it pours when I'm picking my daughter up from school [Shes goes to a charter school, no busses, so we parents havve to park our car & walk to the front of the school to pick up our child 'til they're old enough to walk to our cars as there are several safety patrols helping out. . .] I'm gonna love not having to cover my aid anymore!!! [Well, my hearing aid, if I still wear it on my left, I'll have to but for the CI processor I won't have to!] Woohoo!

***I really think you'll like the water resistance of the Freedom. As I said, I've been caught in several downpours without any negative effect. Around here (especially during the summer months) storms can pop up out of nowhere, so it's nice having the extra security knowing that I can wear my Freedoms in the rain if I'm without an umbrella. :)

HURRY UP JUNE 21st, get here as fast as you can- in fact let's skip everyday but the 13th [daughter's K graduation] and go straight to the 21st. heh!

***LOL! I'm trying to think of ways you can help pass the time...have you viewed any of the DVDs from Cochlear or AB? Both companies have several DVDs about CIs. Two that I really enjoyed were "Hearing Your Life" and "Cecelia's Story" (both available from AB). I couldn't watch them until after my first CI was activated, but I thought I'd recommend them to you since they do have captioning.

***LOL! I'm trying to think of ways you can help pass the time...have you viewed any of the DVDs from Cochlear or AB? Both companies have several DVDs about CIs. Two that I really enjoyed were "Hearing Your Life" and "Cecelia's Story" (both available from AB). I couldn't watch them until after my first CI was activated, but I thought I'd recommend them to you since they do have captioning.

I watched one from Cochlear called Jacob's story. It was about two deaf parents with a deaf baby. It was captioned too. An interesting watch! Both the deaf parents had implants too and they talked about their own experiences. It wasn't glossed over, both of them struggled to begin with.

Back