Quick ?

I know mama sometimes the hearing ear will compensate for the tinnituus filled ear so you dont notice it.Just like a tinnitus masker.I dont want one of those one noise is enough for me.Only other thing Ive done is got in the car and screamed yelled sing loud.Try humming sometimes that works.

Tami Sam: Right now, at 10:02 pm. I'm in peace - no Tinnitus!!! It came back for about 1/2 hr when I was in the middle of ironing. Grr but it went away just a bit ago.

And now the thing that is bothering me quite bad is the pain cause of the numbess is wearing off so I'm very sensitive to it right now. I can't even touch the area around where the "wound" is as they call it. Ouchies!

Poor mama no rest for wicked /weary? Maybe you need to take something to take out some imflammation? Aleve or Advil not aspirin bad for tinnitus.I'm sure its going to take time for your body to adjust to a foriegn object in it. I understand the numbness after one of my surgeries 1/2 my tongue was numb it was so weird.I myself am on a slow spin tonight,meniere's disease wants to do its thing with this heavy rain storm so Im all wobbly-feel better it'll come!

Deafmama, maybe a good idea might be to talk to an ENT and see if maybe the treatments for Menieres might help.
Also, I know this isn't the same surgery, but when I had ear surgery (not implant) I had WICKED tintutias, after the surgery. Luckily it stopped, and I only have it when I'm stressed.
Maybe tinuntuas is common in ear surgery (except for tubes) in general.

Deaf,

Have you had any of the pins and needles type pain in your implanted ear?

I had a little tinnitus on my implanted ear for a while. More of the pins and needles type pain but that would come and go and last for a very short time, 15 seconds was the longest I remember. Kind of like bad earache type pain. I get very little pain or tinnitus in my implanted side now. My bad ear has tinnitus 24/7/365+. Drives me nuts some times as it gets louder or changes from the normal "what ever you call it" high pitch 8000-10000 hz constant noise.

The reason they wanted to wait for hookup is to give the skin time to heal without something trying to pull the internal magnet through the skin. This may also be why some have a hard time getting stronger magnets initially. To me, that sounds disgusting. I've cut myself many times but pulling something through my skin. Ouch, probably not the most comfortable thing to do. I'll reluctantly until they say it was OK for activation. I tried for a day short of 4 weeks and they said no can do. This is what they told me when I mentioned to them that I wanted to see if a magnet would stick to my head during activation. Didn't stick for me either so your not alone.

As far as the tinnitus going away, I'm not sure it will but what you will hear from the CI is so clear that you should be able to hear through the tinnitus and start ignoring it. I would think it will get better over time though.

Get ready for Wednesday.

Steve

Steve: Will the CI magent stick to my head on Weds when I receive my 'stuff'? I worry that it won't stick and I'll be stuck holding it all day in order to hear!?

Hahaha. I just tried it again with a smaller magent, I used one of the kids' magentix, which are sticks & balls that you stick together to make things. It worked even though it'll fall off quickly since it's so weak. lol. I should get my dh to take a picture when he gets home. I'm leaving it in for him to walk in and see if he notices something sticking out while I'm sitting here using the puter. Ha.

deafmama,

I'm terribly late coming into this thread, so forgive me. My computer's hard drive crashed and it took me awhile to get back up and running.

As deafskeptic mention, I had horrible tinnitus following my first CI surgery. To give you an idea of how bad it was, I heard all kinds of sounds that included a car engine turning over, a fan turned on low speed, high pitched beeping, alternating low/high pitched tones and what sounded like people talking. It was so bothersome that I asked my CI surgeon for a prescription. All he could prescribe was Prednisone. Because of the side effects associated with that drug (mood disturbances, possible depression) I decided to "wait it out" since I only had 3 weeks before my activation.

After my second CI surgery, my tinnitus wasn't as severe. I don't know if that's because of how severe the tinnitus was the first time around or not.

I'm now happy to report that my bilateral tinnitus has gone down significantly since both of my surgeries.

As for your question about refrigerator magnets not sticking to your head....the answer is no. The magnet will not stick until your CI has been activated. This is because there is nothing to pull or hold the magnet to the internal receiver underneath the skin. (I tried that trick too! :))

I see that your activation is on June 6th. How exciting! Good luck! I wish you all the best! :)

By the way, what CI did you choose? Just curious.

fridge magnets don't stick to me either LOL. I had to initially put 2 magnets on to keep my CI attached (my audie said it was most likely due to some residual swelling in the implant area) After about 3 weeks I was able to use just one magnet, and its a #2

As for your question about refrigerator magnets not sticking to your head....the answer is no. The magnet will not stick until your CI has been activated. This is because there is nothing to pull or hold the magnet to the internal receiver underneath the skin. (I tried that trick too! :))

Er...time to clear up this aspect. Magnets are magnets especially passive ones. One doesn't have to activate it. It is active from the day they put it together before even putting it in one's head. To prove my point before one is activated, get a passive magnet such as a refrigerator magnet and try to stick it to your head where the implant is located. It will stick assuming it is strong enough. Activation of one's CI has nothing to do with getting the magnet to work.

A word of caution, I would never use a strong magnet (I mean a STRONG one) on one's CI...never, never do that. One could move the CI from its location...not good.

Update: I did try a refrigerator magnet and it didn't stick. I noticed that the polarity is wrong. Still for all that, I wouldn't mess with a strong magnet in any case.

very good point (about the super strong magnets) sr171soars, especially since I remember using the really strong ones in physics class in high school, and you can even buy them in some stores.

Hear Again: No problem!

I'm surprised you didn't read the first line of my siggy - lol. It says clearly that I went with the Freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeedom! :]

PS- I would never try using a strong one. I don't wanna take any risk by ruining my CI or having it move a bit or being so strong that I have a hard time taking it off or whatever that can happen.

Hear Again is deaf-blind and uses software to help her read internet pages. She may have missed your signature.

Great to see you back Hear Again! We've missed you. :dance2:

Its so great to see Hear Again "here again"!!!! Welcome back!

I'm surprised you didn't read the first line of my siggy - lol. It says clearly that I went with the Freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeedom! :]

deafmama,

From what I see on my Braille display, the first line of your sig reads "deafmama78" followed by your implantation and activation dates. Perhaps my screenreader can't recognize one of the lines. JAWS (the screenreader I use) can't always recognize graphical or printed information depending on how it appears.

I think you made a great choice in selecting the Freedom! I also have the Freedom (for both of my CIs) and love it! :)

Er...time to clear up this aspect. Magnets are magnets especially passive ones. One doesn't have to activate it. It is active from the day they put it together before even putting it in one's head. To prove my point before one is activated, get a passive magnet such as a refrigerator magnet and try to stick it to your head where the implant is located. It will stick assuming it is strong enough. Activation of one's CI has nothing to do with getting the magnet to work.

Thanks for correcting me. I thought this was the case (that magnets would only stick to the internal receiver after one's CI was activated) because it's what I had read on one of the CI forums. (I know -- I shouldn't take anything I read on forums as gospel. :))

Last comment before I completely divert this thread. :) I just noticed the first line of your signature and can see that you have the Freedom. Now I know why I didn't see your CI brand...I stopped reading after your implantation date. :)

Hear Again: I apologize, I didn't realize you were deaf-blind.

Let's hope I'm happy with my choice in the upcoming weeks/months after being activated! One more day to go!

It was either the Freedom or the Med-El which really didn't appeal to me. My hospital where I had my CI surgery doesn't work with Advanced Bionics. The Freedom and the AB were my two top choice. I was drawn to the Freedom from the start so it was easy to chose Freedom over Med-El for me.

I remember seeing your login around here, welcome back!

That's okay. No problem! :)

Over time, I'm sure you'll be happy with the choice you've made. Many CI users I know have a tremendous loyalty to their CI brand -- I know I do.

May I ask why there was a particular reason your CI center does not implant AB? I know some smaller CI centers only work with one brand. I've also heard that some surgeons only have experience (or more experience) with one brand over another.

My CI center works with all 3 CI brands. My audi immediately ruled out Med-El because of its processor and its inaccessibility for my needs. I'll be honest...I initially chose AB, but changed my mind because of a recall that was taking place at the time. I thought long and hard over my decision and it was not an easy decision to make.

Having said that, all 3 brands are excellent and I don't think you can go wrong with any of them. After all, the reason we decide to get a CI for ourselves or our children is to be able to hear.

I consider myself so fortunate to be living in a day and age in which this wonderful technology is available.

I wish you all the best on your CI journey and look forward to reading more about your progress! :)

Back