Quick ?

deafmama78

Reaction score
I remember awhile back, while I was going thru CI candidacy, I saw a post from someone here who also had pictures from when she stuck a magent behind her head in her CI area. Also, remember reading how people would put kids' fridge ABC magent on their heads & others. I curiously tried that. But none of it would stick on my head, not even one of my stronger fridge magent, why is that?

If I wasn't supposed to do that, then oops - I was simply curious. heh.
I'm thiinking that ether it just won't work til I get activated on Weds, altho that right there dosen't make sense - or is it the fact that my hair is a bit thick, despite the fact that I moved all the longer hair part outta the way to make only the shaved part accessible but it just wuldn't stick, however it would "rub" a bit butwon't stick on- like you do with two magentic together dependong on the side they are.

Sorry if this post makes noooo sense. I am having horribile Tinnitus the past few days in my implanted ear & am losing sleep over it. Please tell me it's temprarily and will go away?!! Do you CI'ers get that after CI surgery?
I knew it was one of the risks but damn this is just way strange 'cause my left ear Tinnitus is brought on certain issues. The tinnitus on my implatned side comes and goes -but when it's here - it's strong and loud. Sounds very different than what I am used to from the left side. I HATE IT!!!!!! I can only hope it'll go away once I'm activated and actually hearing out that ear again to hopefully knock out the dang Tinnitus. It's evil [or well it feels evil to me, heh!]

Goodnight yall. :]

It's possible to get tinnitus after surgery. I think Hear Again had horrid tinnitus after her operation.

I still get some tinnitus. I'm thinking that I'll replace my 30 year old phone with a quieter one as the rings will set off tinnitus even though it won't last for very long. The phone has no volume control. Thankfully, I no longer get the awful ringing from sounds like dishes being washed or when I hear two people talking.

I remember awhile back, while I was going thru CI candidacy, I saw a post from someone here who also had pictures from when she stuck a magent behind her head in her CI area. Also, remember reading how people would put kids' fridge ABC magent on their heads & others. I curiously tried that. But none of it would stick on my head, not even one of my stronger fridge magent, why is that?

Yep, I had the same experience. None of my fridge magnets stuck on me (gosh people will think we are weird!) and I ended up with a number 5 strength magnet from Cochlear (the strongest). I have very thick hair, which I think explains it.

I am having horribile Tinnitus the past few days in my implanted ear & am losing sleep over it. Please tell me it's temprarily and will go away?!! Do you CI'ers get that after CI surgery?

Yes, it's very common especially if you already had tinnitus before the surgery. Mine was the loudest it had ever been right after surgery but then I expected that. It only really improved significantly after activation.

I hope that yours will improve for you after activation. Hold on and chin up.

None of my fridge magnets stuck on me (gosh people will think we are weird!)

LOL! Well I have 2 kids, age 6 and 4. And I know they would've had alot of fun wondering why it'll stick on their Mama's head but not theirs so I was in fact disapointed it didn't work for me. :P Call me weird for trying! :)

Yes, it's very common especially if you already had tinnitus before the surgery. Mine was the loudest it had ever been right after surgery but then I expected that. It only really improved significantly after activation.

But see, my Tinnitus was severe on my non implanted ear. . .I still have it but it isn't an everyday thing anymore it seems. And when I do have it on that side, it'll mask out speech to the point where I can't understand or even hear people talking anymore. It's very strange to be having normal convos with my daughters, hubby, family and the next minute I can no longer hear them!!!

When I was growing up, I've had Tinnitus in both ears but it would only come about once a year and would last all night, to the point where I all I could not sleep n' cry, having my Mommy hold me. Or, it'd kick in after attending a school baskeball game or going to a fair, concert, party, etc. . . but it'd only last few hours and is long forgotten by the next day!

Now the Tinnitus, on my implante ear I'm going thru right this moment at 6:14 am EST as I type this just freaking woke me up about 15 minutes ago! I am NOT a morning person so I am even more upset at the moment. See, it's the loudest I've ever experienecd & the funny thing is, I wouldn't have a clule how the hell to describe this dang 'noise' as it's not exactly 'ringing' like my non implanted ear would do.

As stated before, I knew to expect this as result of surgery but this severe?! HOW CAN ANYONE STAND THIS?! How can we live like this? When it's like this, it's so bad to the point where I can hardly concerate on anything. I hate it when it would 'act up' when I'm driving cause I'd prefer to be left alnoe and be able to enjoy listening to music and stuff!! Grr!!!

I hope that yours will improve for you after activation. Hold on and chin up.[/QUOTE]

All I can do is pray that it'll improve and go the hell away! I seriously wish there is a flip switch for this!!! UGH!!!

Sorry for the vent! :/

Last edited:
deafskeptic: I no longer get the awful ringing from sounds like dishes being washed or when I hear two people talking.[/QUOTE]

deafskeptic: When not suffering from Tinnitus, can you hear people talking normally? On my non implanted side, I use hearing aids & can hear people talking just fine as spoken language is the way I communicate with my hearing family the most, even tho they do know some signs and continue learning more both my girls are more interested in it so I intend on teaching them a lot more over the summer. Anyways, back to Tinnitus, I'd hear people talking like I always have been able to with my hearing aids, until Tinnitus kicks in and masks out speech to the point where I can't even understand or barely hear my own family! It is very hard to go thru that and I used to suffer from it almost on a everyday thing. It'd strangely get worse every time I leave house and start driving! I had to stop partipating in things and just avoiding things all together. This whole thing started last July after going to a fair. I remember being on this ride [one I have always loved growing up] with my kids and suddenly started losing my hearing due to Tinnitus and at the same time I'd start feeling so dizzy and sick to my stomach, back then I simply thought I didn't feel good. I had no idea what was happening to me and was terrified. It'd go away by the next day or so and then I'd get it again every once in awhile always feeling so sick at the same time. Then one day the sick feeling wuld go away when Tinnitus would kick in and I'd just have my Tinnitus 24/7 starting last August. I kept suffering thru it until Jan when my Hubby kept begging me to see ENT's about this but no one could help, said its something some people have to live with! That is also when I started toying with the idea of getting a CI - but not because of Tinnitus but because of issues I've been having with my right ear for the last 6 yrs!

Sorry so long! This gave me something to do at this time of the morning where I'd rather be sleeping all snuggled up with my hubby. :P

Well yeah a member used a magnet from her coil and attached a screw to it and then plunk on her head and fooled his bf.

as for tinnitus, yeah I had it post-op but I just ignore it as if it was tripped alarm that my cochlea has been invaded... I had to tell my brain that I already know it is invaded so it went away after a while...

that only happen when I am not wearing CI. It will go away...

Boult: That's what my Hubby keeps telling me, that it'll soon go away shortly after the CI is activated. I told him that my brain, or well to be specific my cochlea is pissed at me. :P Hehe. :)

as for tinnitus, yeah I had it post-op but I just ignore it as if it was tripped alarm that my cochlea has been invaded... I had to tell my brain that I already know it is invaded so it went away after a while...

that only happen when I am not wearing CI. It will go away...

Boult: That's what my Hubby keeps telling me, that it'll soon go away shortly after the CI is activated. I told him that my brain, or well to be specific my cochlea is pissed at me. :P Hehe. :)
hahaha :D

deafskeptic: I no longer get the awful ringing from sounds like dishes being washed or when I hear two people talking.

deafskeptic: When not suffering from Tinnitus, can you hear people talking normally? On my non implanted side, I use hearing aids & can hear people talking just fine as spoken language is the way I communicate with my hearing family the most, even tho they do know some signs and continue learning more both my girls are more interested in it so I intend on teaching them a lot more over the summer. Anyways, back to Tinnitus, I'd hear people talking like I always have been able to with my hearing aids, until Tinnitus kicks in and masks out speech to the point where I can't even understand or barely hear my own family! It is very hard to go thru that and I used to suffer from it almost on a everyday thing. It'd strangely get worse every time I leave house and start driving! I had to stop partipating in things and just avoiding things all together. This whole thing started last July after going to a fair. I remember being on this ride [one I have always loved growing up] with my kids and suddenly started losing my hearing due to Tinnitus and at the same time I'd start feeling so dizzy and sick to my stomach, back then I simply thought I didn't feel good. I had no idea what was happening to me and was terrified. It'd go away by the next day or so and then I'd get it again every once in awhile always feeling so sick at the same time. Then one day the sick feeling wuld go away when Tinnitus would kick in and I'd just have my Tinnitus 24/7 starting last August. I kept suffering thru it until Jan when my Hubby kept begging me to see ENT's about this but no one could help, said its something some people have to live with! That is also when I started toying with the idea of getting a CI - but not because of Tinnitus but because of issues I've been having with my right ear for the last 6 yrs!

Sorry so long! This gave me something to do at this time of the morning where I'd rather be sleeping all snuggled up with my hubby. :P
[/QUOTE]
Yes, I can. I had recruitment and it's gone now. I rarely ever get Tinnitus with either my HAs or my CI. My Tinnitus rarely lasts very long. YMV. (Your milage may vary.)

deafskeptic: Is this, what I'm going thru also called recritment? Just curious.

Sorry I really do not know much about it. blah.

At the moment, the tinnitus is gone so I'm in a super good mood 'cept having some pain from the CI surgery since the numbness is wearing off so it's causing me to be really sensitive in that area. :/

I hate that I worry myself to death wondering if I made the right choice or made the stupidest choice in my life in getting the CI surgery. We'll soon know, eh?!

Hi Mama sorry tohear you are suffering with tinnitus.I will be 46 next Sunday thus have had tinnitus/menieres disease half my life. I have not heard silence in 23 years!!! When I first started getting the ringing i would put the phone up to my ear and listen to the dial tone and sometimes this would calm it down.I can no longer hear the dial tone so when i really start getting flipped out I put on headphones and listened to something, this was before I went deaf last year.I dont know if that would help you just a suggestion.I told my ENT if this tinnitus would shut up Im sure I could hear better.He just smiled and said no you are mistaken on that.It did seem to mask all speach though. Stay away from those magnets, silly girl!

Mama ; Deafdyke wrote what recruitment was at the end of <I am not a cadidate thread>.Explains it nicely.

deafskeptic: Is this, what I'm going thru also called recritment? Just curious.

Sorry I really do not know much about it. blah.

At the moment, the tinnitus is gone so I'm in a super good mood 'cept having some pain from the CI surgery since the numbness is wearing off so it's causing me to be really sensitive in that area. :/

I hate that I worry myself to death wondering if I made the right choice or made the stupidest choice in my life in getting the CI surgery. We'll soon know, eh?!
Recruitment from Hearing Loss

Boult & Tami Sam: Thank you! I knew someone had written it but couldn't remember which thread, I went back and re-read it & also read the link Boult provided, again thank you!!!

Tami Sam: I also lived with Tinnitus most of my life but haven't had it this severe until last summer. :/ So, it'll be a year for me in about a week. . . oooh wait, I started having trouble in May of last year! So I've had it severely for a year now. Ack!!! But see, I just don't understand WHY we Tinnitus sufferers have to deal with this, it's SO fucking unfair!!!!!!! You probably deal with the same emotions, same crying jags, same feelings like you will have a breakdown over the years? I worry that I will one day end up with a horribile breakdown due to all the Tinnitus. It really does drive me up the wall. :/ I thank God that I am blessed with two little girls, they are why I just put up with the Tinnitus. Seriously, I have said before that if I didn't have 'em, I'd not want to live like this- it's that severe for me. :/ I know it's wrong for me to say, but that's how I feel! :/

I can't do anything about the Tinnitus on the implanted ear - as I have no hearing aid for that ear & CI isn't turned on yet, so I have to just suffer.
For the Tinnitus in my left ear, when it the damn 'T' kicks in, I cannot hear anymore for awhile until it goes away, so listening to things is useless!!!
Grrrrrrrrrrrrr. It's just not fucking fair! :/

Sorry for the whine again, I am dealing with it as I type and it's just really intense. I'm trying so hard not to break down crying 'cause my daughters has a friend over & it'd just useless to cry about it anyways. lol.

Deafmama,

Sorry to hear about the tinnitus. Tinnitus keeps me up sometimes too. I read Rebuilt during two recent sleepless nights when my tinnitus was bad.
hmmm maybe AD can start an Insomnia chat for Tinnitus sufferers???

I wonder if the Tinnitus is worse now because you are worried about the hookup? I would say don't try to worry but I am going throught the wait between surgery and hook up next month and will probably be worried too.

When I had my sudden hearing loss in late 2005 my tinnitus was so loud that it was not funny. I went on sleeping pills for a week due to sleep deprivation but then decided to take my self off them because I didn't want to become dependent on them. It was about 9 months altogether from the time of my sudden loss to the switch on and that was because I wasted the first 3 months not having a clue that my hearing had gone south, due to the fact that I developed recruitment.

I found that the best way to cope with tinnitus in that time was to accept it and make it a part of me. I started listening to it and even laughing at it. Hard I know, but once I did that the stress related to the tinnitus started to go down and I was able to get some sleep. So when I had the CI surgery and the tinnitus was even louder, it didn't actually bother me that much by that time. I knew why it was loud and to me that was a normal reaction from the ear.

I am so sorry for you Mama.Yes in the begining it just drove me nuts.I think R2D2 is right ,you somehow will come to terms with it or go crazy.There is only a rare time were I think "My god Im going to lose my f*ing MIND SHUT UP!!! Its been since last May 20th 2006 my last day of the somewhat normal hearing world and have been what I consider deaf,that my husband said well now is the tinnitus gone?Believe it or not I told him if I cant hear and was in total silence that might freak me out even more at least it is some kind of sound .If you have headphones try them,if you cant hear music put on a talk channel sometimes this will fool the mind and you wont focus on tinnitus.You may have to leave on your HA dont know if you hear at all without it.Maybe others have some thhings they have tried to help you.I am now having phantom tinnitus which is really freakin weird,sounds like way far away theres a radio with the old time crooners singing. W.T.H?

Sorry to hear about the tinnitus. Tinnitus keeps me up sometimes too. I read Rebuilt during two recent sleepless nights when my tinnitus was bad.
hmmm maybe AD can start an Insomnia chat for Tinnitus sufferers???

Set2: Did Michael Chorst [spelling?] write 'Rebuild'? I'll have to see if my local Library has it next time I'm there, which I'll prolly pop in tmr.

We should defintely have a Insomnia for Tinnitus sufferers chat! :]

I wonder if the Tinnitus is worse now because you are worried about the hookup? I would say don't try to worry but I am going throught the wait between surgery and hook up next month and will probably be worried too.[/QUOTE]

No, I seriously don't think it's worse 'cause of the hookup - I was more worried about surgery over the hookup as I knew not to expect too much especially on the 1st day. My Audi already stressed this a time or two. Of course I have hopes that I'll have one of the awesome hookup stories to make up for my difficult recovery due to the horrific pain I experienced. :]

About 54'ish more hours til I'm sitting at the hospital waiting room waitin' to be called in by my Audi. As much as I'm excited, I know better than to expect much - in fact I'm even afraid it'll be horribile or make my Tinnitus worse for a bit due to my brain have not really been hearing on a regular basis for about 6 yrs. So I'm afraid my brain is gonna get pissed at me for bringing sounds back via the CI and cause even more Tinnitus or a different type of Tinnitus, which would probably be very similar to what I experience with my non implanted ear. Blah.

Tami Sam: The suggestions given to me are good for the non implanted side since I wear a hearing aid & hear everything just fine out of that ear, unless the Tinnitus is being a meanie & gets to the point where I can't hear anything for awhile. :/ I can't use any of those suggestions on my implanted side because I don't have a hearing aid and besides it wouldn't work with the surgery causing my deafness to probably go in the profound range from the severe-profound range I had before. lol. I can't hear shit without my hearing aids except for really loud ass noises. :P I think my neighbors would be pissed at me if I blast the music & put my head next to the speakers so I can somewhat hear it. lol. I do have headphones but I've no idea wtf it went. Oh and anyways those headphones were for my walkman wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy back when I was in HS! Ha!

I do appreciate the suggestions given to me by everyone tho! :]

Back