Question about CI

Status
Not open for further replies.
You don't have to take MY word for it:

Myth # 1 – “Cochlear Implants Connect to the Brain” « Hearing Pocket

Cochlear Implant Myths & Realities
Reality The electrodes go into the Cochlea (Inner Ear), not the brain. At no time is the brain uncovered, exposed, touched, or probed.

Fuzzy's interpretation: The CI is not connected to the brain directly.

Jillio's interpretatation: The CI is connected to the brain indirectly.

Indirectly, I can agree with that.

However, if I am not mistaken, Cloggy threw out the article credibility because it says:

""Interesting link... Hard to read with all the repetitive language.. But OK.. However, I stopped reading when I read.. "attached to the brain"""

Well, as I proved, the CI is NOT attached to the brain.

Fuzzy

:laugh2: Could you find a more biased source to try to support your nonsense? They know nothing more about the neurology behind a CI than you do!:laugh2:

And the only thing you proved is that you have no idea what you are talking about.

No, sweetie. It is you who tries to save your face by all cost.

See, simply speaking,

-the cochlear implant works by inserting the electrode into the cochlea -in the EAR.

The electrode in the cochlea works in place of damaged cochlear nerves
that doesn't work anymore.
The auditory or hearing nerve, are PAST the cochlea with inserted electrode but still in the EAR.

Then the inserted electrode in the cochlea send the electrical signals to the auditory nerve still in the EAR, which in turns stimulates 'hearing' centre in the brain.

If it were not connected to the cranial nerves that lead directly to the brain it would not work.

At no time does that mean the CI is attached to the brain.
And still, the attachment stops at the cochlea, sweetie.

Cochlear Implants

What Is a Cochlear Implant?

A cochlear implant is a surgically implanted device that helps overcome problems in the inner ear, or cochlea. The cochlea is a snail-shaped, curled tube located in the area of the ear where nerves are contained. Its function is to gather electrical signals from sound vibrations and transmit them to your auditory nerve (or hearing nerve). The hearing nerve then sends these signals to the brain, where they're translated into recognizable sounds.

Fuzzy

.I would have to go back even farther than neurology 101 to explain the numerous errors in conclusions you are making Fuzzy. I have no interest in attempting to teach someone who already thinks they know it all...especially someone who already thinks they know it all erroneously. Good luck trying to convince anyone that you know what you are talking about. All of your erroneous conclusions can be so easily explained away.And please stop using web page advertisements in an attempt to discuss science and neurology behind the CI. It is showing how little you know of the facts.
That said, I just realized I am all out of troll food

All fine and dandy,
I came with arguments, proof, links, pictures, you came with insults.
Same old Jillio. and I am supposed to believe you?

Fuzzy

All fine and dandy,
I came with arguments, proof, links, pictures, you came with insults.
Same old Jillio. and I am supposed to believe you?

Fuzzy

Quite frankly, dear Fuzzy, I don't really give a damn whether you do or don't. Those that wish to learn do.:cool2:

Web pages are proof of virtually nothing other than you found another ignoramous on the net that you think agrees with you.:laugh2:

Bye, bye, now.

Wirelessly posted

jillio said:
Jillio, Jillio.... the CI is NOT connected to the brain, no matter how badly you want it to be.

Just because it sends electrical impulses via nerves to the brain doesn't mean
it make the thing itself connected to the brain.
It's how it WORKS, not how it is installed, sweetie.

Fuzzy

Fuzzy, fuzzy, fuzzy...yes it is. No matter how you try to twist it to make it sound pretty, it is connected to the brain. Shall I refer you to the doctor whose design is still being used? I just spoke with him in person last week.:cool2:

connected? No way. The electrode is completely inside the cochlea. The cochlea is not part of the brain. Anyone who says otherwise, and knows better, is being disingenious.

Wirelessly posted

connected? No way. The electrode is completely inside the cochlea. The cochlea is not part of the brain. Anyone who says otherwise, and knows better, is being disingenious.

ok........... Lets take a fuel pump... take that, fill up your cars gas tank... if its not connected to the motor.... your car wont start....

if the CI is not connected to the brain... you won't hear...

simple. :roll:

if the CI is not connected to the brain... you won't hear...

Here's the picture of the CI.
Please show me how the CI is connected - ATTACHED- to the brain?
Where do you see BRAIN here????

2009-09-19__health3.jpg

P_cochlear-noConsole.jpg

cochlear_implant_diagram.jpg

graphic-1.jpg

the CI electrode ends in the cochlea - it doesn't even touches the auditory nerves! coming past the cochlea, let alone the brain:
diagram.jpg

how does the CI is attached/ connected to the brain??

Fuzzy

Here's the picture of the CI.
Please show me how the CI is connected - ATTACHED- to the brain?
Where do you see BRAIN here????

Fuzzy

No need for CAPS here. I asked a simple question, if it is not connected to the brain, how are you able to hear?

Presumably one hears from the use of a Cochlear Implant by the auditory nerves ( whatever the correct name is ) sends to the section of one's brain which one"takes" as sound /hearing. The Implant as such is not in the middle of one's brain. Somewhat analogous as say glasses.

Implanted A B Harmony activated Aug/07

Presumably one hears from the use of a Cochlear Implant by the auditory nerves ( whatever the correct name is ) sends to the section of one's brain which one"takes" as sound /hearing. The Implant as such is not in the middle of one's brain. Somewhat analogous as say glasses.

Implanted A B Harmony activated Aug/07

so its connected to the brain, right?

so its connected to the brain, right?

Okay, the glasses analogy is great.

say, you can't see well because you are near sighted.

You put your glasses on.
The glasses correct your vision because the lenses
shift the retina's focus, and help send correct vision signal to your brain -
and thus how you can see clear now.

Does that mean the glasses are connected to the brain?

Fuzzy

You put your glasses on.

Fuzzy

Nah, it just simply alters the light waves before it even hits the eyes. Not a great analogy.

I know they are. Ultimately, in the body everything is connected to the brain.

But it also matter WHAT and HOW it is connected.

The CI is NOT connected to the brain, period. It's connected to the cochlea, hence the name- cochlear implant.

Slide63.jpg

Do you see it anywhere in the brain, or connected to the brain??

Fuzzy
Fuzzy.. You're waisting your time. This is all about NOT admitting they have no clue.. They realise the CI is not attached to the brain.
However, some sort of pride is preventing them from saying "that statement was wrong". Instead they wiggle around it. Sad.

You put your glasses on.

Fuzzy

Good analogy Fuzzy.

Edit to add: Although I think contact lenses would have been an even better analogy because they come in direct contact with your eyeballs ;-)

Fuzzy.. You're waisting your time. This is all about NOT admitting they have no clue.. They realise the CI is not attached to the brain.
However, some sort of pride is preventing them from saying "that statement was wrong". Instead they wiggle around it. Sad.

how does muscle or organ or eye or ear connect to brain?

I have no idea that a few electrodes can go wrong that there is nothing to do about it.

they can do, but they were checked on the operating table and never turned on. it doesnt affect your hearing with the implant, cos you never had those electrodes on anyway

Fuzzy's interpretation: The CI is not connected to the brain directly.

Jillio's interpretatation: The CI is connected to the brain indirectly.

:)
Precisely... And with that.... Everything is connected to the brain..... BUT NOT ATTACHED !!

(Except perhaps the ability by some to admit they are wrong....)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back