Putting your deaf children in which schools...and why?

Honestly, I dont feel like fighting but I do find myself fighting again with FJ.

I just stick to my beliefs and if FJ wants to stick to hers, fine.

Can we just let it go at that?

Out of curiousity, when you talk about oral schools, FJ, what do you mean? I ask only because I don't know of any where I live. I know of the deaf school, the charter deaf schools, and the mainstreamed programs.

Wirelessly posted

Shel, it's not about fighting. i'm hoping that learning about other professionals who support spoken language and about the success of so many children and adults will help you open your mind about the huge changes that have happened in deaf education in the last 10 or more years.

Wirelessly posted

Alleycat, my experience with oral schools includes a state funded state school for the deaf, a privatly funded self contained, but completely free school for the deaf and a traditional, private, tution funded, oral deaf school. they all have deaf employees, all knew sign and all advocated for spoken language education for deaf children. i have also known of high ranking members of various orgs who are deaf and advocate for oral education, as well as many deaf people i have met in other places (conferences, etc), as well as ***********s who have chosen spoken language and oral education for their children.

15 years ago, I would have fit in that definition due to denial. Who knows how many of them have never been exposed to ASL and never know what it is reallllly like to have full access to communication and language.

Just saying...

This post times ten. I would have continued on my way had I never been TRULY exposed to ASL and shown its benefits for me.

When I was younger, I thought ASL was for people who were TOTALLY deaf, or people who couldn't talk. Obviously now I know I was wrong. I'm not totally deaf, and I can talk just fine, but now that I've been really checking out the world of ASL and Deaf culture, I feel so much more comfortable there. Oral children probably think the same thing I did, that ASL is for people not like them.

I thought I got so much by lipreading, but then when I looked over at my captionist's screen at school, I saw this whole page of things I missed. I have to fake through conversations with hearing people. That's why I don't advocate for oral education, at least not a totally oral education.

And I've never met a Deaf person who advocated for oral education. You said there were people like that at the school? I might have misquoted you, but that sounds totally bizarre to me, because I don't know any deaf people who are fluent in both sign and speech who would prefer oral education.

This post times ten. I would have continued on my way had I never been TRULY exposed to ASL and shown its benefits for me.

When I was younger, I thought ASL was for people who were TOTALLY deaf, or people who couldn't talk. Obviously now I know I was wrong. I'm not totally deaf, and I can talk just fine, but now that I've been really checking out the world of ASL and Deaf culture, I feel so much more comfortable there. Oral children probably think the same thing I did, that ASL is for people not like them.

I thought I got so much by lipreading, but then when I looked over at my captionist's screen at school, I saw this whole page of things I missed. I have to fake through conversations with hearing people. That's why I don't advocate for oral education, at least not a totally oral education.

And I've never met a Deaf person who advocated for oral education. You said there were people like that at the school? I might have misquoted you, but that sounds totally bizarre to me, because I don't know any deaf people who are fluent in both sign and speech who would prefer oral education.

Like I said, at John Tracy, at CID and at USD there were deaf adults who know ASL and advocate for oral education. Clearly, they have a different opinion than you. I have also met adults at conference, on panels, various places, and they advocate for listening and spoken language.

BUT, none of them advocate for lipreading. They advocate for children to use appropriate hearing technology that allows them to hear and understand speech.

People with oral upbringing are usually acceptence to their upbringing. They usually say, "My mom was just trying to do what she thinks is best for me" They usually not are mad at their parents (although they may have a communication barrier with their parents) . And They usually don't have any other choice other than depend on their hearing aids/cochlear implant and they accept that, or they take sign language. And there are those who hate ASL for some reasons and make comments about how bad ASL is, and I don't know where their attitude is coming but no surprise they support oral only.

People with oral upbringing are usually acceptence to their upbringing. They usually say, "My mom was just trying to do what she thinks is best for me" They usually not are mad at their parents (although they may have a communication barrier with their parents) . And They usually don't have any other choice other than depend on their hearing aids/cochlear implant and they accept that, or they take sign language. And there are those who hate ASL for some reasons and make comments about how bad ASL is, and I don't know where their attitude is coming but no surprise they support oral only.

Every single one of these professionals has signed with my daughter, because she signs. They don't see it as bad, or for stupid people, they are just expressing their preference in what they believe will help the kids.

:iough:

Getting too intense for me. I will take my thoughts and opinions elsewhere.

Every single one of these professionals has signed with my daughter, because she signs. They don't see it as bad, or for stupid people, they are just expressing their preference in what they believe will help the kids.

What professionals?

Wirelessly posted

I think that is the fundamental difference. i have met many deaf adults who remain oral (even though almost all have learned some sign). they are happy with their upbringing and advocate for oral education for deaf children. i've met teens and adults who are happy, healthy and well educated through spoken language. i know it is not all that way, but it happens everyday. no, generally they are not active in the Deaf community, so their stories aren't told as much as the ones who are unhappy with it and seek out like-minded people in the Deaf community.

i see successful, happy oral kids everyday. they are not suffering outcasts who can't understand their peers, they are smart kids who hear well and have caught up with their hearing peers and are doing well in all domains of their life.

I have met these same deaf adults. They don't know any sign and were raised orally. I was at a party at an oral school and there were two such individuals there. And I was shocked at how much they missed in conversation or misheard and how much repeating had to be done. And I just had to think what I would want if it were me. And I would want both ASL and spoken language, so I am going to try my best to give my son both.

I have met these same deaf adults. They don't know any sign and were raised orally. I was at a party at an oral school and there were two such individuals there. And I was shocked at how much they missed in conversation or misheard and how much repeating had to be done. And I just had to think what I would want if it were me. And I would want both ASL and spoken language, so I am going to try my best to give my son both.

I know lots of deaf adults who do not sign as well, but I was speaking about the specific professionals who do know sign and choose to advocate for spoken language for kids.

I know lots of deaf adults who do not sign as well, but I was speaking about the specific professionals who do know sign and choose to advocate for spoken language for kids.

Id like to know what the deaf professionals names so i ll look up about them that you have been talking about lately.

Id like to know what the deaf professionals names so i ll look up about them that you have been talking about lately.

If you would like the contact information, PM me, but please do not harrass these people because of their beliefs. They have every right to believe what they do.

If you would like the contact information, PM me, but please do not harrass these people because of their beliefs. They have every right to believe what they do.

I am sure that they have already been harrassed before and they are professionals that they know how to handle with the peers. Since their names are in public according to your statement. I am sure that they are fine handling with the harrassed peers.

I am sure that they have already been harrassed before and they are professionals that they know how to handle with the peers. Since their names are in public according to your statement. I am sure that they are fine handling with the harrassed peers.

So, you are saying that you intend to harrass them?!?

I think she want confirmation how they truly feel about oral only

Back