Putting your deaf children in which schools...and why?

Thank u! Totally LOVE u! I was out all day with my deaf friends..some who have speech skills, some who have CIs and some who have none...we had a GREAT day! There was no hearing person there dictating his/her obession with our speech skills. If they would just back off, would be nice like my day was today. :)

I agree that kristinab explained it all clearly and no twisted words.

shel90, I feel you about going out with whose I hang out with.

I agree that kristinab explained it all clearly and no twisted words.

shel90, I feel you about going out with whose I hang out with.

Seriously, if I hung out with people who are obsessed with having perfect speech skills or with the belief that deaf people cant be exposed to both, I would be bald right now. My philosophy is GIVE EVERY deaf child the opportunity to BOTH and I have faith that they will be fine but some hearing people cant accept that. To me, that's not in my bag.

Wirelessly posted

Who do you hang out with that is obsessed with you having perfect speech??

Seriously, if I hung out with people who are obsessed with having perfect speech skills or with the belief that deaf people cant be exposed to both, I would be bald right now. My philosophy is GIVE EVERY deaf child the opportunity to BOTH and I have faith that they will be fine but some hearing people cant accept that. To me, that's not in my bag.

Ha I heard you. I don't go out with people who are obsessed with having perfect speech skills that's all they can think about, not focusing on being themselve for who they are. I have met so many deaf kids who are capable of having both, whatever as if it is convenient to them to use one but still doing both anyway. In kids' cases that they are going to be fine as long as they find their own comfort communications of using one if they have been exposed to both.

Ha I heard you. I don't go out with people who are obsessed with having perfect speech skills that's all they can think about, not focusing on being themselve for who they are. I have met so many deaf kids who are capable of having both, whatever as if it is convenient to them to use one but still doing both anyway. So kids are going to be fine too.

Same here and it is ok. Nothing wrong with having fluency in both. :)

I did enjoy hanging out with u in NYC..wish we lived closer!! :D

people who are obsessed with having perfect speech skills or with the belief that deaf people cant be exposed to both, I would be bald right now. My philosophy is GIVE EVERY deaf child the opportunity to BOTH
Yes, many dhh kids can pick up pretty good speech abilty. But that doesn't mean that they will reap all the rewards of the English speaking hearing world you know.

Wirelessly posted

That was Shel's thinking. She was very glad to be in a group where there is no hearing person or more persons telling them to use speech or perfect speech. It is like putting them down for not having a good speech. It is good to relax and enjoy talking or signing without having the hearing Persons breathing down their necks. :roll:

I hope you understand what we are talking about. I am wondering why you never seem to understand what we stand as Deaf people? :hmm:

Wirelessly posted

what do you mean by that? of course, they do exist whose who are focusing on speaking well, forget themselve as individual people.

Where do you get the opinion that Shel does NOT value spoken language. All I have ever understood from her is the importance of BOTH speech and sign. She has said that not all deaf are able to learn speech, but she is NOT against speech for a deaf or HOH person.

Originally Posted by shel90 - Deaf people without speech skills arent more stupid than those who do. It is a shame that many hearing people put so much emphasis on speech skills as equating to having more fluency in language

She is saying here - that it is a shame that there are hearing people who are so obsessed that a deaf person have speech skills that they think they are not a whole person when they don't. that's what I get.

Bootiful!! Well said.

I am so tired of hearing people's expectations about us having a PERFECT SPEECH! FJ, Are you expect ALL of Deaf people having a PERFECT SPEECH? Hell no way. My speech is not that perfect...I knew some people don't understand me..too bad...I do expect them to write a pad, so I am happy to communicate with them. Obviously, you still don't get it. Wow.

That was Shel's thinking. She was very glad to be in a group where there is no hearing person or more persons telling them to use speech or perfect speech. It is like putting them down for not having a good speech. It is good to relax and enjoy talking or signing without having the hearing Persons breathing down their necks. :roll:

I hope you understand what we are talking about. I am wondering why you never seem to understand what we stand as Deaf people? :hmm:

bingo!! My years of speech therapy got so wasted. I'd rather to stick to getting an education than being a parrot practicing the same speech therapy.

what do you mean by that? of course, they do exist whose who are focusing on speaking well, forget themselve as individual people.

I'm wondering who in your everyday life, that you choose to spend time with is obsessed with you having perfect speech?

Bootiful!! Well said.

I am so tired of hearing people's expectations about us having a PERFECT SPEECH! FJ, Are you expect ALL of Deaf people having a PERFECT SPEECH? Hell no way. My speech is not that perfect...I knew some people don't understand me..too bad...I do expect them to write a pad, so I am happy to communicate with them. Obviously, you still don't get it. Wow.

Where on earth did I say that deaf people, ANY deaf person should have perfect speech. In fact, where did I every say that all deaf people should learn spoken language or that any deaf person should speak over use ASL? I have never said any of those things, or even hinted at it.

In fact, I believe that SHel said that every deaf child should learn both ASL and spoken language, and I disagree. If parents don't want their kid to have speech or wear amplification, that is surely their right. I don't think they should be forced to learn speech.

I'm wondering who in your everyday life, that you choose to spend time with is obsessed with you having perfect speech?

no i didn't choose to spend time with this obessed person who have to speak well at all. In life, as I was growing, any time i meet anyone who is obsessed with trying to speak perfect. They came to me and i learn about them, then i simply say, "it's nice meeting you and see you later." they do the same thing with me. There is no hard feeling between me and this certain people. :D

Where on earth did I say that deaf people, ANY deaf person should have perfect speech. In fact, where did I every say that all deaf people should learn spoken language or that any deaf person should speak over use ASL? I have never said any of those things, or even hinted at it.

In fact, I believe that SHel said that every deaf child should learn both ASL and spoken language, and I disagree. If parents don't want their kid to have speech or wear amplification, that is surely their right. I don't think they should be forced to learn speech.

oh i thought shel meant that for any deaf students are encouraged to learn both ASL and speak rather than the oral program alone if it comes to children who are accessed to have both in an educational setting. We all do feel that ASL is a huge benefit to any deaf people who can speak very well yet they are using ASL in their daily on a basis unless some certain hearing people knows ASL then it's the bonus for both of them.

oh i thought shel meant that for any deaf students are encouraged to learn both ASL and speak rather than the oral program alone if it comes to children who are accessed to have both in an educational setting. We all do feel that ASL is a huge benefit to any deaf people who can speak very well yet they are using ASL in their daily on a basis unless some certain hearing people knows ASL then it's the bonus for both of them.

Right..I never said forced but get the opportunity to learn both. Doesn't hurt the children and with more tools available to them, the better off, IMO.

I don't like the idea of only exposing children to one language or as little skills as possible.

Besides ALL ASL users r exposed to English but not all oral users are exposed to ASL and why is that? Doesn't make sense to me.

Yes! That's what Shel meant!! I feel pity for hearing parents if they choose oral only approach for their Deaf child.

Right..I never said forced but get the opportunity to learn both. Doesn't hurt the children and with more tools available to them, the better off, IMO.

I don't like the idea of only exposing children to one language or as little skills as possible.

Besides ALL ASL users r exposed to English but not all oral users are exposed to ASL and why is that? Doesn't make sense to me.

So, a parent should have the right to choose ASL and written language only, correct?

And, no, a profoundly deaf child does not have exposure to spoken language if they are unamplified and have a Deaf family who communicate through ASL.

I thought the school would give them speech therapy anyway. They've been doing it for years.

Back