Putting your deaf children in which schools...and why?

I thought the school would give them speech therapy anyway. They've been doing it for years.

They don't have to. At my daughter's bi-bi school all the Deaf families declined HA's and speech therapy except one (she was hoh and used one hearing aid).

I don't think they can decline written English.. unless there's signwriting. but honestly, if the girl knows she can benefit from speech therapy, I think she would be just as mad at her parents for being ASL-only as parents for being Oral-only

I don't think they can decline written English.. unless there's signwriting. but honestly, if the girl knows she can benefit from speech therapy, I think she would be just as mad at her parents for being ASL-only as parents for being Oral-only

Nobody is declining written English! I just said that they choose not to do hearing aids or speech therapy at all.

Wirelessly posted

faire_jour said:
shel90 said:
Right..I never said forced but get the opportunity to learn both. Doesn't hurt the children and with more tools available to them, the better off, IMO.

I don't like the idea of only exposing children to one language or as little skills as possible.

Besides ALL ASL users r exposed to English but not all oral users are exposed to ASL and why is that? Doesn't make sense to me.

So, a parent should have the right to choose ASL and written language only, correct?

And, no, a profoundly deaf child does not have exposure to spoken language if they are unamplified and have a Deaf family who communicate through ASL.

Huh, she didn't say it. She always favor of both English spoken language and ASL. Which means that inculd writing and speech... she never claim she exculd the speech... EDIT: noted, she stated her opinion for the same reason.

Last edited:
So, a parent should have the right to choose ASL and written language only, correct?

And, no, a profoundly deaf child does not have exposure to spoken language if they are unamplified and have a Deaf family who communicate through ASL.

Everybody notices that Shel always says both ASL and spoken language opportunities.

Are you trying to make her change her advice?

FJ asking about the parent's right to refuse speech/CI/HA. Do they have rights to do that?

FJ asking about the parent's right to refuse speech/CI/HA. Do they have rights to do that?

FJ is more of an advocate for parents' rights while I am more of an advocate for deaf children's rights.

I feel all deaf children should have the opportunity to be exposed to both whether they have CIs or HAs.

AS far as my opinion about CIs or HAs, I feel it is not my place to decide.

I am talking about the educational setting as far as language, communication and social/self-development goes.

For the home environment, I have no say.

Everybody notices that Shel always says both ASL and spoken language opportunities.

Are you trying to make her change her advice?

I dont know what is going on but I cant keep justifying myself to her. I am sticking by my beliefs no matter what she says.

I dont see the harm in both for all children but some people do. Nothing I can do about it.

Wirelessly posted

I'm asking if a *********** should be required to expose their child to spoken language through amplification and speech therapy? if they never try, aren't they limiting their children just as much as oral only parents?

I dont see the harm in both for all children but some people do. Nothing I can do about it.

I agree, I see huge benefits in access to ASL and access to spoken English, both! Maybe I'm misreading, but it looks like both Shel and FJ are saying this and have the same belief that learning both ASL and spoken English is only a good thing, never a harmful combination.

Doesn't the only point where they start to disagree come up when FJ asks if both have to be mandatory, though (eg, when she asks if a parent should have the right NOT to pursue access to spoken English through HAs or CIs? Or, similarly, NOT to pursue ASL.)

I agree, I see huge benefits in access to ASL and access to spoken English, both! Maybe I'm misreading, but it looks like both Shel and FJ are saying this and have the same belief that learning both ASL and spoken English is only a good thing, never a harmful combination.

Doesn't the only point where they start to disagree come up when FJ asks if both have to be mandatory, though (eg, when she asks if a parent should have the right NOT to pursue access to spoken English through HAs or CIs? Or, similarly, NOT to pursue ASL.)

In this country, the parents have the rights. I just dont agree with it because none of us knows how it will go with deaf children before it is too late.

Wirelessly posted

I think parents who are responsible, good parents, won't let it get to that point. they will follow up and make sure their child has language.

i believe that parents who responsible persue oral education are doing right by their children just as much as deaf ones who choose not to amplify or pursue speech. i would never judge either, but unfortunatly many people here would condemn one and applaud the other.

Wirelessly posted

I think parents who are responsible, good parents, won't let it get to that point. they will follow up and make sure their child has language.

i believe that parents who responsible persue oral education are doing right by their children just as much as deaf ones who choose not to amplify or pursue speech. i would never judge either, but unfortunatly many people here would condemn one and applaud the other.

I wish I saw the world through rosy colored glasses as you do but unfortunately, I do not based on several of my friends' experiences along with my own and my students' as well.

Wirelessly posted

I think that is the fundamental difference. i have met many deaf adults who remain oral (even though almost all have learned some sign). they are happy with their upbringing and advocate for oral education for deaf children. i've met teens and adults who are happy, healthy and well educated through spoken language. i know it is not all that way, but it happens everyday. no, generally they are not active in the Deaf community, so their stories aren't told as much as the ones who are unhappy with it and seek out like-minded people in the Deaf community.

i see successful, happy oral kids everyday. they are not suffering outcasts who can't understand their peers, they are smart kids who hear well and have caught up with their hearing peers and are doing well in all domains of their life.

Wirelessly posted

I think that is the fundamental difference. i have met many deaf adults who remain oral (even though almost all have learned some sign). they are happy with their upbringing and advocate for oral education for deaf children. i've met teens and adults who are happy, healthy and well educated through spoken language. i know it is not all that way, but it happens everyday. no, generally they are not active in the Deaf community, so their stories aren't told as much as the ones who are unhappy with it and seek out like-minded people in the Deaf community.

i see successful, happy oral kids everyday. they are not suffering outcasts who can't understand their peers, they are smart kids who hear well and have caught up with their hearing peers and are doing well in all domains of their life.

15 years ago, I would have fit in that definition due to denial. Who knows how many of them have never been exposed to ASL and never know what it is reallllly like to have full access to communication and language.

Just saying...

Wirelessly posted

I wish I saw the world through rosy colored glasses as you do but unfortunately, I do not based on several of my friends' experiences along with my own and my students' as well.

But Shel, you can't read just part of FJ's sentence and ignore the rest. That takes it out of context. I understand totally your point, but I also get FJ's point as well. I'm deaf, and if I chose not to amplify or pursue speech doesn't make me necessarily better than parents that make that same choice or not.

But Shel, you can't read just part of FJ's sentence and ignore the rest. That takes it out of context. I understand totally your point, but I also get FJ's point as well. I'm deaf, and if I chose not to amplify or pursue speech doesn't make me necessarily better than parents that make that same choice or not.

She believes all parents are capable of making the right decisions and I said I wish I saw the same as she does but unfortunately, I do not hence my passion for deaf children's rights first before the parents. I dont understand why she continues to argue with me about my beliefs.

She has her beliefs, fine..but I am entitled to mine. If it doesnt make everyone happy, sorry but I am sticking to them.

Wirelessly posted

And i'm saying that these are adult professionals who know sign and choose to work at oral schools or advocate for oral education through various organizations.

Wirelessly posted

And i'm saying that these are adult professionals who know sign and choose to work at oral schools or advocate for oral education through various organizations.

I have never met any adult deaf people who sign and who advocate for oral only education. Never. I have met who dont know sign who do advocate for oral only but those who sign...new to me.

Wirelessly posted

I know sveral deaf teachers of the deaf that know sign and work at oral schools. every oral school we have been to has had these professionals. I also know several Deaf families who use ASL as their primary communication but have chosen CI's and oral schools for their kids.

Last edited:
Back