Purple Netbook unleashed

Status
Not open for further replies.
SSD, HD, who cares. It holds files ;)

SSD and HDD isn't same word.

Purple netbook use SSD then say SSD to prevent any confusion.

I got my Purple Netbook two days ago. I spent most of past two days cleaning the hard drive of the netbook because it came with a virus! The virus kept putting executable programs all over the HD, including an SD card I inserted to view pictures. I had to download McAfee Antivirus (free because I use Comcast) to clean and disinfect the hard drive. Now it is good as new.

If you get weird errors, check your Purple Netbook for viruses! Looked like someone downloaded a trojan from a bad website onto the HD before I got the netbook.

You need some anti-virus software if you want.

You remote their computer to download called “Malwarebytes” which is a freeware.
Malwarebytes.org

Click Download Free Version – You will be in “cnet download.com” website:

Click “Download Now”

Run mbam-setup.exe to install Malwarebytes.

SSD and HDD isn't same word.

Purple netbook use SSD then say SSD to prevent any confusion.

I did not say it is the same word. I said they both hold files, so I used them interchangeably. I'm sorry if that confused you or caused this to bring out the nitpickers.

Try tethering with USB, bluetooth sucks in big time for speed.

I remember that my wife used her old Treo 700p under Verizon as modem thru to her laptop for chat webcam thru camfrog to me and very clear and smooth. Almost no lags. It's happen THREE YEARS AGO! How neat! That time she lived her parent house and her area do not have high speed internet.

Your post don't make any sense.

All CDMA based BB has no WiFi included because they get better signal than any GSM service.

BB Curve (8330) and BB 8830 has no WiFi either.

Sticking with BB Bold and don't complain about BB Tour since they aren't release to world, except for US and Canada.
Well, I was meant to say WIFI FAIL!

You need some anti-virus software if you want.

You remote their computer to download called “Malwarebytes” which is a freeware.
Malwarebytes.org

Click Download Free Version – You will be in “cnet download.com” website:

Click “Download Now”

Run mbam-setup.exe to install Malwarebytes.

I already ran McAfee, but I took your advice and ran the Mawarebytes program. It got more yucky stuff out. Thanks for the tip!

I already ran McAfee, but I took your advice and ran the Mawarebytes program. It got more yucky stuff out. Thanks for the tip!

McAfee and Norton are 2 of the worse products ever. It fails at detecting most virus.

Yup, this is true. Whats more, they both slows down the computer considerable.

Yeah tell me about it. I have Avira AntiVir Personal and I am happy with it and also throw in Spybot Search & Destroy.

Purple Netbook upgrade to windows 7

Hello everyone,

I want to share with you all what I already installed windows 7 RC on Purple netbook this early morning. Installation took me 48 min.
I use windows 7 on Sony flash 4 GB and change BIOS to boot USB.
Format C: and clean installation all went successful.
I checked Video adapter Total available Graphics Memory 251 MB
I checked device manager display shows only one while Windows XP shows two display adapters.

Smile,
Malinda
:D

Yeah tell me about it. I have Avira AntiVir Personal and I am happy with it and also throw in Spybot Search & Destroy.

good choice ;]

I also using spyboy search and destory and a free AVG for a while; I used to have bitdefender avg, its awesome but abit bloaty :[

McAfee and Norton are 2 of the worse products ever. It fails at detecting most virus.

I second that!!

I've used that product few years ago and it let virus in and screw my system!!! I kicked out McAffee from my system and installed Zonealarm, it works like wonder but it is performance hog. Now I'm using CA Internet Security suite that is offered free to all Road Runner customers. I didn't have problem with it cuz CA is a "cousin" of Zonealarm and I just simply turn off its Firewall and leave Antivirus and Spyware program enabled. My laptop's performance seem normal.

Two of my basment system uses Avira Free antivirus program. Performance seem unaffected, it's worth it tho.

I would check out Malwarebyte soon.

Catty

Hello everyone,

I want to share with you all what I already installed windows 7 RC on Purple netbook this early morning. Installation took me 48 min.
I use windows 7 on Sony flash 4 GB and change BIOS to boot USB.
Format C: and clean installation all went successful.
I checked Video adapter Total available Graphics Memory 251 MB
I checked device manager display shows only one while Windows XP shows two display adapters.

Smile,
Malinda
:D

You'll have to enable 2nd monitor by clicking "2nd Monitor" and checkmark "Extend desktop onto this monitor" so you can have extended desktop view on 2nd monitor. If' you are not that expert then don't mess with setting otherwise, if you accidently checkmarked "Use this device as the Primary monitor" on 2nd monitor, the 1st monitor will go blank or swapped as "extended" desktop :eek2:. You'll need 2nd monitor to change back to 1st monitor on netbook. :giggle:

Netbook like Laptop should have "FN" key (function key) usually on Left side of laptop between CTL and Windows key (next to ALT key) and see the "F1, F2, F3....." keys have matching color coded icons on it which match color of FN key. If you want to swap to 2nd monitor, you can PRESS and HOLD FN key and TAP one of function key on top of keyboard that have icon look like monitor. You can plug in monitor on netbook and fiddle around it. It'll swap around when you presses the function button, don't freak out when Netbook's monitor became blank, tap the key and it'll turn back on.

I've used that several times before and even most recently, I had to move the 1st monitor to 2nd monitor and set 2nd monitor as a "primary" when I installed new graphic card in PC that have built-in graphic chipset and tape over the 1st monitor jack to prevent customer plugging in wrong jack or else they'll see extended desktop without "start" button & clock the screen. I was just "forcing" customer to use new graphic card jack which just became a "primary". The reason I do that because Onboard graphic chipset is wussy and problemic for system's performance. In that way, that'll keep them happy with fast performance on their system.

Catty

Just a question? Can you replace the 16GB SSD with a larger HDD such as 120GB? I am not sure about the connectors and size interchangeability.

The reason I ask is that I did a little homework and I found plenty netbooks out there a large drive as high as 160GB but they are HDD versions, not SSD versions. Here is what I was thinking if I spend about $100 for the HDD version and get the Purple netbook. It would still be cheaper than spending over $350 for a netbook at a store or online that is equivalent. We all know that the webcam is 1.3MB instead of the .3MB. ;)

The only question remains is that how do you install XP on the new drive? From a USB flashdrive?

Just a question? Can you replace the 16GB SSD with a larger HDD such as 120GB? I am not sure about the connectors and size interchangeability.

The reason I ask is that I did a little homework and I found plenty netbooks out there a large drive as high as 160GB but they are HDD versions, not SSD versions. Here is what I was thinking if I spend about $100 for the HDD version and get the Purple netbook. It would still be cheaper than spending over $350 for a netbook at a store or online that is equivalent. We all know that the webcam is 1.3MB instead of the .3MB. ;)

The only question remains is that how do you install XP on the new drive? From a USB flashdrive?

Yes, you can.

Mostly netbook use 2.5" SATA.

Newegg.com - Seagate Momentus 7200.3 ST9320421AS 320GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache 2.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s Internal Notebook Hard Drive (Bare drive) - Laptop Hard Drives

320GB 2.5" for $70.

Yes, you can install thru USB flash.

http://komku.blogspot.com/2008/11/install-windows-xp-using-usb-flash-disk.html

I dumped McAfee for Avira, and it works great and fast too! Thanks for the tip! Even found a couple more viruses than McAfee.

I who work for purple, had helped some customers to install Avirs software in their new P3 netbooks. They were very happy.

delete.

Last edited:

I called Dell tech support about SSDR. Can SSDR replace to HDD. Dell tech support said, no cannot replace from SSDR to HDD because of different size.
Have you try and it work on Dell insprion 910?

Check size:http://www.stec-inc.com/product/umssd.php

:hmm:
Malinda

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back