! PSA: Watch your torrenting !

Status
Not open for further replies.
You will do anything that is illegal in your real life. :roll:

like James O'Keefe :roll:

Time to go snag a TV show I missed yesterday.

is it illegal to download a tv show when I already paid for $$$ cable service? :hmm:

You will do anything that is illegal in your real life. :roll:

I don't do anything illegal in reallife intentionally......save maybe the occassional traffic offense.....I pay the consequences for those and admit that it is wrong......I doubt Koko does anything illegal either.

is it illegal to download a tv show when I already paid for $$$ cable service? :hmm:

Nope, most TV station's don't give a flying crap cause their money is from the advertisements. But some copyrighted stations like I heard certain NBC shows are monitored.

confused.png
confused.png

No one says "everyone else is doing it". Where did you get that idea... that's way out of the field. It'd take a real damn newbie to express that excuse in a court of law. In fact of all piracy cases that I've read to date, I don't think anyone has said it.

I've a feeling you didn't get a chance to catch up on a part of the discussion.. might wanna read or re-read before hashing out something. :aw:

It's a good idea to know these things and read up beforehand doncha think? :wave:

July 31, 2009.
The trial of accused pirate Joel Tenenbaum has begun in the US and it’s been an interesting show so far. Tenenbaum and his lawyer, Harvard law professor Charles Nesson, had their original defense of fair-use file-sharing tossed out. Nesson then moved on to an “everybody’s doing it” defense, which isn’t panning out so well either. The prosecution has presented a slate of witnesses – everybody from Tenenbaum’s friends to his father – saying it was he who did the file-sharing on Kazaa. Nesson, meanwhile, hasn’t produced any experts to contradict anything the music industry has said about the economic impact Tenenbaum’s sharing will have on artists. Tenenbaum continued to share files after receiving initial cease-and- desist letters, so barring a miracle, expect another big verdict for copyright holders.
The Online Reporter

Imagine a brilliant Harvard law professor using the "everybody's doing it" excuse as a viable defense. I guess he's a "noobie," right?

It's a good idea to know these things and read up beforehand doncha think? :wave:

The Online Reporter

Imagine a brilliant Harvard law professor using the "everybody's doing it" excuse as a viable defense. I guess he's a "noobie," right?

So? That's one out of millions-billions of pirates.

Got anymore? Paste 'em here. We have all day if you can find some more.
One case is not the standard, most definitely NOT for all pleas of innocence in the court of law.

I don't do anything illegal in reallife intentionally......save maybe the occassional traffic offense.....I pay the consequences for those and admit that it is wrong......I doubt Koko does anything illegal either.

It is still illegal.

Court: RIAA lawsuit strategy illegal
A federal appeals court on Friday handed a major setback to the record industry's legal tactics for tracking down and suing alleged file swappers, in a high-profile case pitting copyright law against the privacy rights of Internet users.
"We are not unsympathetic either to the RIAA's concern regarding the widespread infringement of its members' copyrights, or to the need for legal tools to protect those rights," the court wrote. "It is not the province of the courts, however, to rewrite (copyright law) in order to make it fit a new and unforeseen Internet architecture, no matter how damaging that development has been to the music industry."

I pay for it. Because the person or company who produced those video games, the music, etc, deserve to be paid for their work. I don't resort to thievery and undercut what profit is rightfully theirs.

I pay for it. Because the person or company who produced those video games, the music, etc, deserve to be paid for their work. I don't resort to thievery and undercut what profit is rightfully theirs.

I don't believe you. ;)

So? That's one out of millions-billions of pirates.

Got anymore? Paste 'em here. We have all day if you can find some more.

I used one example, and that's coming from a Harvard Law professor, too! That is all it takes to prove you wrong. They do and have used that line of defense. And that Harvard law professor certainly didn't sound like a "newbie" to me especially if a person is referred to as a "Harvard law professor." :wave:

The Online Reporter

I used one example, and that's coming from a Harvard Law professor, too! That is all it takes to prove you wrong. They do and have used that line of defense. And that Harvard law professor certainly didn't sound like a "newbie" to me especially if a person is referred to as a "Harvard law professor." :wave:

Also I want to clarify with you, that case is regarding music and the RIAA.
I thought we were discussing software, video and applications here? Stick to these cases please.

Everyone knows that the music area is a touchy subject for cases. :sadwave:

It is still illegal.

I agree 100%

Also I want to clarify with you, that case is regarding music and the RIAA.
I thought we were discussing software, video and applications here? Stick to these cases please.

Everyone knows that the music area is a touchy subject for cases. :sadwave:

The subject is about the illegal electronic downloading regardless of the entertainment aim (e.g. movies, gaming, music, etc.). I was and still am on topic. I answered (pre-prepared that is) your claim that nobody would be stupid enough to use the "everybody's doing it" defense approach. Well, a Harvard law professor did!

The subject is about the illegal electronic downloading regardless of the entertainment aim (e.g. movies, gaming, music, etc.). I was and still am on topic. I answered (pre-prepared that is) your claim that nobody would be stupid enough to use the "everybody's doing it" defense approach. Well, a Harvard law professor did!

No, because we're on a deaf site and my main intention on creating this topic was regarding torrenting that the deaf people do. Deaf people don't torrent music (on a frequent basis) now do they? Hello! Earth to you, pay attention..

That's weak man, don't be grasping for straws in here.

Find your "everyone's doing it" conclusion in another case NOT related to music and I'll consider. Until then you've nothing so far other than your usual rants.

Because of Grokster Case.... as of June 2005 -

source
the MPAA and RIAA can no longer prosecute file sharing companies directly if those companies carefully walk a fine line of conduct. Instead, the entertainment industry is now forced to wage their war on private individuals, not the technology hubs that they use. Although Hollywood does have the money to do this, it will now be a very expensive war for them to wage. And in the meantime, you can expect to see the continued thriving of bittorrents, Gnutella, Limewire, eDonkey, and other file sharing groups on the Net.

Congratulations, P2P file Sharers. The US Supreme Court has ruled in your favor.

unfortunately... many people do not have $$$ for legal funds so they were muscled into false confession and $1,500 settlement. Dozens of cases were dropped by RIAA/MPAA when people refused to settle and wanted to proceed with case at court.

Theft? yep. RIAA/MPAA are stealing your money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back