! PSA: Watch your torrenting !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wirelessly posted

Sounds more of a case where legal fees outweighted the profits of maintaining the service.

Wirelessly posted

Sounds more of a case where legal fees outweighted the profits of maintaining the service.

Potential legal fees for sure....

Sure there is a way to make p2p work for everyone.....yes the unions hold the artists back (I am not exactly pro union :) ) but none of this changes the fact that violating copyrights is illegal....

It's theft. The taking of what's not yours and not pay for it, is in my eyes, theft. The taking of somebody's work that took time, money, resources and effort to product that product and not pay for it is theft. That's the concept. It is a crime to steal somebody else's work and not pay for it. That's the concept.

In your eyes, perhaps. However, it's not defined as a theft. It's defined as piracy. Both are a crime.

In order to master the art of stealing, you have to actually steal it instead of duplicating it.

It's hard to convince that guy anything. I'm prepared to just let it go cause I feel like I'm wasting my breath here.

Let reality deal with him.

I do what TXgolfer suggested. Attach viruses to a software that unless you have an encrypted code to unlock it, you risk losing more than the software you just illegally downloaded into your computer.

Two wrongs don't make a right. Besides, deliberately attaching a virus to a software is much more of a serious felony.

The victim would end up looking like the perpetrator if that was to happen.

I'm talking about alldeaf (aka, the deaf site). I'm sorry you can't read intuitively or have trouble comprehending the discussion.

Thanks for your opinion, maybe next time you might have something better to contribute.
Have a good day. :sadwave:

Nice save.

Australia govt defines it as theft.

Australian Federation Against Copyright Theft
About Us | Australian Federation Against Copyright Theft

AFACT members include: Village Roadshow Limited; Motion Picture Association: Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures Australia; Paramount Pictures Australia; Sony Pictures Releasing International Corporation; Twentieth Century Fox International; Universal International Films, Inc.; and Warner Bros. Pictures International, a division of Warner Bros. Pictures Inc.

The website doesn't appear to be a government branch. It's an organization as far I am concerned. All of the copyright laws they listed. Not one of them mentioned the word, theft nor stealing. Only piracy and infringement were mentioned. Only the organization is labeling it as theft while the government isn't.

The government of Australia certainly doesn't define it as theft, just piracy and infringement.

When you create software or files (videos, images), it is automatically assumed to be yours. You have a responsibility to dictate how you want them to be used. If you want to sell it, you should create a license stating that it's for sale. If you want to give it away for free, create a license for that.

When a license is made and it states that it is not free and requires payment and you use that software without paying, you're stealing. The license is a legal contract and if you fail to abide with the license, you're breaking the law.

Wirelessly posted

netrox said:
When you create software or files (videos, images), it is automatically assumed to be yours. You have a responsibility to dictate how you want them to be used. If you want to sell it, you should create a license stating that it's for sale. If you want to give it away for free, create a license for that.

When a license is made and it states that it is not free and requires payment and you use that software without paying, you're stealing. The license is a legal contract and if you fail to abide with the license, you're breaking the law.

One problem with that-- EULAs and Terms of Services are not always upheld in court or even recognized.

Even things like Creative Commons and GLU are not fully recognized. If the owners want to claim full copyrights out of the blue years down the line, the culture libre and culture gratis folks are screwed.

There's no real legal teeth to the electronic ToS or licences; they simply exist to outline the mutual trust and respect between the publisher and its consumers. Unfortunately, for the consumers, copyrights laws are on the side of the publishers regardless of any agreements consented.

Last edited:
It is still stealing if you don't pay.

In your opinion. To the government, it's piracy, not theft.

You can beat the dead horse as much as you want to, it's not going to change anything.

Yet people failed to note the Nintendo rip-off article where a court found a man guilty of distributing a Nintendo game available for upload for others to steal without paying. This is theft. And loss of revenue for the company.

James Burt, 24, of Sinnamon Park in Queensland will pay Nintendo $1.5 million after an out-of-court settlement was struck to compensate the company for the loss of sales revenue.

Nintendo says the loss occurred when Mr Burt made New Super Mario Bros for the Wii gaming console available for illegal download a week ahead of its official Australian release in November last year.

Under Australian law, copying and distributing games without the permission of the copyright holder is a breach of the Copyright Act.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back