Protest the killing of a Deaf Native American Man who was murdered by police!!

sure why not? I could do that but he can easily see I am Asian :)
and I have big HA on my ears so he can see I am deaf.

so what about a deaf man who looks like a regular guy? If you're that fearful of getting shot by cop, wear a tshirt.

Like as if the someone will notice you got a big fat hearing aid. My hair is shorter than yours, and most don't realize I have hearing aids in.

This is tragic, but I agree with Jiro here. It's really too bad that the guy didn't have a taser. I'm not sure why ($$ or not trained) but it would be extremely ironic that the novice is permitted to use a gun but not a taser....

Also, for those who say that 4 shots is overkill, isn't the use of a gun even once meant for "shoot to kill"? I am PRETTY SURE shooting someone just to disable them or hurt them isn't allowed at all. Can anyone shed light on this?

Seattle only has around 25-30 murders a year. That's far lower than many cities about the same size. I think Seattle police is probably overprotecting Seattle for fame, I guess.

Also, for those who say that 4 shots is overkill, isn't the use of a gun even once meant for "shoot to kill"? I am PRETTY SURE shooting someone just to disable them or hurt them isn't allowed at all. Can anyone shed light on this?

I'm glad you brought that point up. It's a common annoyance for us gun carriers. People whined to us that we should shoot at arm or leg so that nobody will die.

well - the way I see it... you should never EVER EVER shoot if he isn't a 100% threat. Either he is a threat or not.. period. If he's not a 100% threat... then don't even shoot at all. Using gun to injure or threaten someone... this kind of person does not deserve to carry a gun. That's the code we go by.

If my gun is pointed at someone - it's shoot to kill. 100% threat. 100% lethal. That's the cardinal rule. It's the serious responsibility that we armed citizens/officers hold.

They watched too many war movies.

This is tragic, but I agree with Jiro here. It's really too bad that the guy didn't have a taser. I'm not sure why ($$ or not trained) but it would be extremely ironic that the novice is permitted to use a gun but not a taser....

The standard procedure is to empty your gun into the victim.

I think too that it does touch on Native and Deaf rights. I think history tends to repeat itself though many may try to change.
I think it is a very sad thing, affecting many people.

This is how we, Native American, protest when someone is murder or someone took our land away and want the land to return to the Native people. Don't forget I am pretty much a militant when I am protesting my rights as Native person and Native Deaf. Maybe he did not have a bag to carry his knife and wooden board. I don't know if he had been doing this for many years as an artist working on his wood like the totem he made. I am very sad that he had passed. I am really shocked that the Seattle Cop had to shoot him four times which is way too much to kill him like that. Anyway, the two year rookie probably don't know him around in this part of the area where he does the selling of his works in the Market. I can not petition as I don't like it online but I would sign it if there is a person coming to me to protest against the Seattle Police Department for killing a Deaf Native American. We need justice for him. :(

I agree with you and I support what you said as I am also a Native American as well as Deaf. This is sad.

how is this even an issue about deaf right and Native American right? Did the officer discriminate him and shot him because of John's nationality? John's disability?

He should wear it...

attachment.php

Attachments

• fig02 copy copy.jpg
    fig02 copy copy.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 62
Wouldn't surprise me if he did.

Seriously? You think that he thought "A damn deaf indian." and shot him on purpose?

Not that he got scared and shot him?

Seriously? How many of you think this way? Just curious because I don't know if this is one of those "the minority voice speaks louder" things or the majority really think it's a hate thing.

But... seriously?

Maybe I'm naive but what has the world done to you to make you think so bleak?

Spanish TV reporter

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKnix4W0KQM&feature=player_embedded]YouTube - John Williams deaf Native American wood carver shot & killed by Seattle Police cops[/ame]

Other...

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPpq0UE6tfY[/ame]

Last edited:
I have to say this situation, while extremely tragic, has a lot of questions than answers and there's nothing black and white in regards to who really was responsible.

I have read through several articles and watched quite a few videos. These are the facts that I know of so far plus some additional questions:

1. John was deaf in one ear. How much hearing loss did he also have in his other ear?

2. Whether John wore headphones at the time, one has to question how big these were. Headphones are quite large and visible and are suspended on the head as opposed to the smaller and easily concealed earphones or ear buds.

3. He had mental health problems. Did he seem aggressive or passive or "out of it"? Sometimes mental health problems make a person seem nonresponsive or ignoring somebody. His friends and relatives have said that his carving patterns have changed over time, so it's likely his behavior had also changed (he had thrown a man through a window).

4. He had drinking problems. Was he drunk at the time? Irritable in a withdrawal mode? Neither?

5. Some articles stated John was sitting on the sidewalk while carving. Why that particular spot? Some people had said he was leaving an area, so I don't know whether he was walking or sitting at the time of the shooting.

6. The officer had the police car siren lights flashing when he parked near John. Ten feet is not really that far to not notice the lights.

7. It is standard for a rookie to pair up with a more experienced officer. Where is this other officer and his/her statement?

So, I hope the ongoing investigation will discover more information. I don't think there will be a definite answer as to whether Officer Birk was acting irresponsibly. I do believe, like others, that 4 shots is rather excessive. The voice recording of the shots will tell the investigators exactly how fast the officer was firing off his gun and whether the officer or John said anything in between the shots.

I also would like to read eye-witnesses's statements as well. I suppose these will come in due time.

He should wear it...

attachment.php

Deaf people shouldn't have to wear something like that. Even if John did wear one of these, he still had a knife out in the open. It's just a matter of how he responded to the officer before he got shot.

I checked the laws of that state, a 3 inch knife is legal and that's exactly what he was holding, therefore there was no reason for the cop to shoot him. The deaf Indian was legal through and through. The 2 year cop was on a yahoo trip, just waiting for an excuse to pull the trigger. He prolly hates Indians too, same for Mexicans and other people of color.

I read that 5 people died in the hands of those same cops in that city in 1 week alone. Something's wrong with their department. I think all these guys, including the Chief needs to be fired and replaced.

Yiz

I am former resident in King County part of Seattle for 5 years. Sometime, I saw people carry larger knife on the belt becasue not fit inside pant's pocket. They never happen at any public.

I feel sorry for loss his life. The cops should know better - not to shoot him without they attack cop. No sense to shoot him with in approx 10 feet distance.

I wonder, John William knew sign language/ASL (not include indian gesture)??? He lost one hearing in 8 years ago.

Back