Protecting Your Kids....

Taylor

Reaction score
I know there is already a related thread but I did not want to take away from that. This thread is EXTREMELY long but I ask that you read it completely if you have children, work with children, or have the slightest care in the world for children.

Tonight, I decide I'm going to go to our local mall to grab something to eat with a friend of mine. We go and get our food and we sit in an open area in the mall where kids will often play. Tonight, there were 20 or so kids throwing balls and running around...kids having a good time. We start eating and watching what is going on around us. Now, this mall is OUTSIDE of my jurisdiction and I make it a point to not get involved in things if I do not have to when I am off-duty...even though I always carry my gun. I'm in plain clothes just having a meal with a friend.

I see this guy that is kind of creepy looking but I do not make character judgments on looks alone....something just seems out of place and I'm trying to determine if I know this guy from somewhere.

I watch this guy walk into the center of the area carrying a plastic bag. He stops and sets his bag down and starts looking around. He picks up 3 balls that are on the ground and he starts juggling...and all the kids come up running excited to see somebody juggle. After a few minutes, most of the kids lose interest and wander off except for one girl...and he starts teaching her how to juggle. The girl is having a good time and her Mom and Grandmother sitting nearby don't seem to mind....but the hairs on my neck are standing up so I keep watching. I have a gut feeling something is about to happen so I take out my camera phone and snap a few pictures (you'll later see why this was important).

As he's teaching the girl to juggle, I notice strange body language coming from him. I can't describe what I'm seeing but something is not right. My friend says she notices it too but is not sure if the guy is doing something wrong...so I keep watching. He's getting close to her on occasion and then backing away. At one point, he is showing her how to juggle 2 balls (to help her get started) and he places the third ball between his legs, holding it there. After they juggle the 2 balls for a few minutes, he says something to her. The girl then reaches out and grabs the ball between his legs....and I'm about to jump up and do something...my friend stops me saying he technically has not done anything wrong yet....so...keep watching.

I notice after a few minutes the girl starts to lose interest...and he's becoming more animated in his movements. He starts pointing over his shoulder and from what I can tell he's trying to get her to go somewhere. I then notice (and I'm not gay....but there are some things that stand out)..this guy has a huge erection....and she is starting to walk away with him.

So, I jump up and go over. I ask him what the hell he is doing (a little more politely as I am acting on a hunch..and it could be me that is wrong). He says this is his niece and to butt out. Now, I saw this girl playing for awhile and this man did not come from her table where Mom and Grandmom were sitting. He says "Honey...do you know this man?" pointing at me and the girl says 'No'. So now I'm the stranger to this girl and he is her friend. I finally recognized the man as somebody I saw posted on our local sex offender registry as a sexual predator. I tell the girl 'Silly lady...I'm a friend of your mommie's!" and I point over to Mom and Grandmom (yes...maybe not the right thing to say to her but its all I had at the moment). I then pull out my badge and tell him I know who he is and that he is forbidden to be in contact with little kids. I grab his arm and pull his arms around his back and a security officer who knows me comes over to help and puts the guy in cuffs.

I then take the little girl over to her Mom and she says 'What was that all about'. I say 'Do you know that guy?' She says 'No...but he was just showing her how to juggle and I don't know why you jumped on him like that.' I explain that he was in the process of luring her child away. I now want to yell at this lady and ask her How did you not see any of that going on. She is absolutely clueless. The cops show up and I explain..the guy denies all of it. I show the few pics I have and it was enough for the officers to pull the security video (which is clear as day BTW)...and they haul the guy off.

This guy had all the clues of a sexual predator and I'm a little troubled that I'm the only one who picked up on it (one guy playing with this kids told me later that he thought it was 'odd' but wasn't sure what was happening until I got involved).

'Innocent Playing'
Photo_0060.jpg

Placing ball between his legs
Photo_0061.jpg

She is innocently thinking she is learning to juggle and drops a ball:
Photo_0062.jpg

She is starting to lose interest and he starts pleading a bit. This is where I notice the erection and him pushing his hips towards her.
Photo_0063.jpg

This is him trying to lure her away (I later learn from her he's inviting her to the toy store). This is when I get up and haul ass over there.
Photo_0064.jpg

I never want to tell anyone how to raise their kids....its none of my business. I don't do it on the job and I don't do it in my personal life...what you teach your kids is up to you.....but this entire incident shows just how easy it was for this guy to walk off with a little girl. What if my friend and I had decided to eat in the food court instead of where the kids play? How did this woman not know, nor observe, that this guy was walking off with her kid. Mom and Grandma were still sitting on their butts eating ice cream when I walked up to them (this is after I confronted the guy when he was leaving with her) They were CLUELESS to everything that was taking place...and I'm not sure what pisses me off more...the guy doing this or their inability to watch their kids. Mom and Grandmom were facing their direction and watching this whole thing without a clue.....grrrrrrr

The final picture is the first one all over again, however, I have circled Mom and Grandma to show you just how close they were watching and still thought everything was 'OK' with the girl and the 'stranger'. Mom later admitted that her and Grandmom were deeply involved in a conversation and did not notice the guy walking off with her (and still had not known it had taken place until they were shown the security video). It would have been one of those 'I just turned my back for a second....' tragedies.

Photo_0065.jpg

whoa I'm so glad u were there!! or the girl might be not found! my goodness. i wouldnt dare let my boy wander off far from me even if its 10 feet away. no way.... i agree with you... the mother should be more pay attention to what going on with her daugther!

OMGNESS!!!

For sure if I had a kid I would be watching them, my eyes on my kid at all times!!! And I would question every stranger that comes near my kid!

My goodness. I hope the mother learned her lesson.

I am glad you kept an eye on them.

BUt I understand what your point is-- many people out there are not fit to be parents or understand the risks...
everything is not same for children as it was back in 70s. I used to bicycle all around my neighborhood with no worries. But today I wouldn't let my child going out on own in my neighborhood without explaining him what to watch out.
However that girl should know better to not talk wiht a stranger or whatnot. Not to reach out to a stranger's crotch and whatnot.

gnarlydorkette said:
My goodness. I wonder if the mother would get upset if she knew that the guy did invite the girl to the toy store??

I am glad you kept an eye on them.

BUt I understand what your point is-- many people out there are not fit to be parents or understand the risks...
everything is not same for children as it was back in 70s. I used to bicycle all around my neighborhood with no worries. But today I wouldn't let my child going out on own in my neighborhood without explaining him what to watch out.
However that girl should know better to not talk wiht a stranger or whatnot. Not to reach out to a stranger's crotch and whatnot.

To a point you are correct. Looking at it from the kid's point of view (and thinking like a child)..this is just a guy showing me how to juggle. My Mom and Grandmom are right there looking at me and not saying or doing anything so everything must be OK.

For all I know, the guy could have told her that her mom said it was OK and if mom is sitting there doing nothing, then it must be OK.

You are right about times being different. My friends and I would wander off on our bikes and come home when the street-lights came on. Definately a different time nowadays.

(goose bumps)

:-/ so scary, thats why i have been teaching the kids.. DO NOT TALK to STRANGERS or PLAY no matter what.. but still, like you just explained.. we just like blind.. thought this guy just having fun.. but didnt "click" your head.. "watch for predators"....

pros and cons .. how to teach your kids not to talk to strangers..

Do not scold or be firm on kids " DO not talk to STRANGERS" cuz it will still talk to strangers and scared to tell you that they did..

be calm.. just say.. dont talk to stranger.. if stranger talk to you.. come to me.. I will check out..

something like that..

Thanks Taylor for sharing.. I know how you felt.. takes out the hummer and run him over with it lol.. :)

AAAAHHHHH

i am glad you were there that day whew
if you weren't something have happened to that kid
you saved the day

if i were the mom seeing what going on and would grab the kid and get away no matters

i am aunt of 3 kids so i am very watchful and my sister and my brother knew about dangers so was my mom too she had 3 of us

Oh geee..
I'm glad you did right thing and caught him and take him away...

I cannot believe it... while you're off duty but you have no choice make move faster than sorry.. you did right thing!

Thanks so much, Taylor for educating all of us about this trick the child molester plays...looks innocent to everyone else!

Whether or not you were out of your jurisdiction, some things just can't be ignored and I applaud you for stepping in, taking photos, etc.,....

Mother and Grandma can thank their luckystars (and *points up*) that you were there. ;)

This deserves to be made 'sticky' for the time being--

Good work! :thumb:

Good Job Taylor! :thumb: I don't even understand some parents sometimes, I don't even trust any strangers with my children, Even one occasion, there was a guy who offer a piece of candy to my 6 years old, I walked up and took that piece of candy out of my son's hand, told this guy don't ever offer my child a piece of candy again, He looked at me and then goes on with what was my problem was, I told him who knows what's in that candy and I don't know who you are, so keep that candy to yourself. He tried to offer me one too, I took my son's hand and walked right away from him. Even if I see a stranger tried to talk to one of my kids, I would be right over there and pull my boys away from strangers, I don't care how nice they tried to be, They could be nice for all I know, but then they could be a mass murder or a sexual predator. It's better to be safe than sorry. ;)

Taylor - I have 2 kids of my own and it is scary to know that anything can virtually happen if you turn around for one second. It is indeed scary. I was taught not to ignore the gut feeling or the instincts because they are usually right in the first place. The Mother and Grandmother would have been worried sick to death if the girl was taken away only because they were deeply engaged in a conversation and not really paying attention to where the girl was. It's a good thing you were there to step in and to prevent a tradegy where it could have happened. So I thank you and the police officers along with everyone else who are trying to make a safe place for everyone to live in.

Chilling to read it, thank you for show you care about children if your off-duty and took this pictures as proof.

This man is clever, also remind me of the Pied Piper of Hamlet!! to get children's attention to come forward to him with his juggle balls!!

Big applause Taylor, WTG!!

Boult said:
Good job Taylor!! :thumb:

and I just saw this on local news today about this man abusing this child. He was videotaping himself beating the child!
is he really sick?!?! http://www.kgun9.com/NewsArticle/tabid/1112/xmid/3037/Default.aspx

first this guy juggling in public luring the girl in the mall.... now this video. oh man!

Safford is in West Arizona near N.M. border

OMFG...

Poor girl!!!

Reminds me too much of my childhood.

Oh my, I'm very glad that you are there to safe that girl's life, Taylor!

Thank you for sharing this with us for in case! :hug:

and I just saw this on local news today about this man abusing this child. He was videotaping himself beating the child!
is he really sick?!?! http://www.kgun9.com/NewsArticle/ta...37/Default.aspx

That's sicko! I would beat that man up for hurting that little girl! :ugh:

Boult said:
Good job Taylor!! :thumb:

is he really sick?!?! http://www.kgun9.com/NewsArticle/tabid/1112/xmid/3037/Default.aspx

first this guy juggling in public luring the girl in the mall.... now this video. oh man!

Safford is in West Arizona near N.M. border

Oh my GOSH!!! Is the girl alive or what?? This remind me too much of my marriage.....I'm so sick in my stomach right now ....

I'll be back later to post more....

Good work Taylor and Thank you ! I wish you could shoot him right there, of course not in front of the kid, not if you can help it then leave the kid with the mom then go outside and shoot him right there. I can't believe he actually got a " erection ". He should be shot dead !

That man beating up the kid on the couch thinks he is some kind of rambo. Just wait until he gets to prison and many angry guys will give him a beating that he can't even stop himself.

I know you want to be off duty but some things can't just be ignored especially that sicko. I am glad you were there in the right place at the right time. I could say God put you there for a reason while you were off duty.

JohnnyE said:
That man beating up the kid on the couch thinks he is some kind of rambo. Just wait until he gets to prison and many angry guys will give him a beating that he can't even stop himself.
That's correct, Johnny, Wait until he finds out what he would getting from behind by dropping a bar of soap in the shower. :whistle:

Back