Profoundly deaf - anyone like me, have CI?

Wut?

I dont even think wearing my CI is for fun or serious, i think of it as an access to hear, for fun (hanging out with buddies) and for serious (meetings, job interviews,ect).

But then it is your opinion weather you want a CI or not, but dont be making it worst than it sounds.

Did you know that you don't need to tell me what to do what I think of CI. I agree that CI can be a tool that is useful but not always reliable for some natural reason. For example, there can be required to have another surgery for correcting or fixing the CI inside of the head when it went wrong. I do not think surgery is for fun. Lastly, CI is pretty expensive!! My hub really really need CI that he lost his CI recently. That sucks timing when CI exists and CIs are too expensive for someone who have family.

CI is a major surgery. I dislike the foreign object in my head by performing a head surgery. If you get CI then you ll need to take lots of visiting to the audiologist and keep up with it. I only want to listen for my fun, but not serious. so I am ok with wearing HA.

Hearing aids do not have the stigma attached to them that CI does.

Your just making it very over-done.
CI surgery is not that big at all, just a small drill in the skull, put in the wire and volia. Its nothing like heart-transplate.
(Fine, I understand the foreign objects in the body, thats your opinion, but I dont give a crap as long as it helps me hear)

I got 2 CI and only go visit audiogist every 6 months, not consist like you mae it seem. Sure the first year, your going to visit every 3-6 weeks to every 3 months but thats because you are training the cochlea to get used to the implant.

Before i lost my AB implant a few months ago, I never had it re-mapped for about 2 years. It was just constant tune up on the same old mapping (damn, makes me a bit upset the fact that I had to move on to cochlear n5 and do remap, and make it a strong map over many tune ups.)

Wut?

I dont even think wearing my CI is for fun or serious, i think of it as an access to hear, for fun (hanging out with buddies) and for serious (meetings, job interviews,ect).

But then it is your opinion weather you want a CI or not, but dont be making it worst than it sounds.
Pat,

I know you meant well. And apparently you're one brave dude, good for you. And apparently you're also used to it and all.

But I think Frisky Feline was just being honest in her response about having some qualms about surgery. Not all could have an "ho-hum" approach to surgery. Even I admit I was a little nervous prior to mine.

In another word, she wasn't just saying that cause she's "anti-CI" or something. If anything, even her husband has a CI. And that she was just being honest with her feelings. IMHO.

I was shaking like hell when I was sent to "that room" filled with surgeons and next thing I know I wake up with my doctor and parents in front of me.

same thing when I took my driving test for the driver's license. All went well. :tears::)

Jake,, I have read all the postings and all of them (well, most of it) are good.

As my brother said to me after I got my CI. i had nothing to lose,, if it fails, at least you tried. I have to admit that I am a part time CI wearer,, I wear it when I need to, such as talking to people. at work, at church, etc,, but at home, my CI is OFF! I don't want to hear when I want to relax! I also NEVER wear my CI while I am driving.

Before I had my CI, I had profound loss,,around 105db average with NR at 2,000 freq and above.... Do I have any regret,, none!

About what you "read",, don't fall for it.. 7 years ago, I was told that only those who had auditary memory can benifit from CI. I was born deaf so i had no real memory to speak of. The day I got "turned on" I heard many sounds that I never heard in my life,, it took my audi and I about 15 minutes to figure out one sound that I keep hearing and can't sort it out and I couldn't describe it,, turned out, it was the sound of "S."

I found the more I hear, the more I learn to hear. learning to hear comes in 3
  1. first time i hear, no idea
  2. second time i hear,, i know i heard it before but what or where
  3. third time i hear,, i remember!
I hope and pray you will find same sucess I had.

I forgot to mention that I got my CI when I was 46. My speech discrimintion before implant was 3%,, now I can understand around 60%. I know that I will NEVER be able to understand 100%,, it's ok, the implant helps me understand other people alot easier now than with hearing aid.

Jake,, I have read all the postings and all of them (well, most of it) are good.

As my brother said to me after I got my CI. i had nothing to lose,, if it fails, at least you tried. I have to admit that I am a part time CI wearer,, I wear it when I need to, such as talking to people. at work, at church, etc,, but at home, my CI is OFF! I don't want to hear when I want to relax! I also NEVER wear my CI while I am driving.

Before I had my CI, I had profound loss,,around 105db average with NR at 2,000 freq and above.... Do I have any regret,, none!

About what you "read",, don't fall for it.. 7 years ago, I was told that only those who had auditary memory can benifit from CI. I was born deaf so i had no real memory to speak of. The day I got "turned on" I heard many sounds that I never heard in my life,, it took my audi and I about 15 minutes to figure out one sound that I keep hearing and can't sort it out and I couldn't describe it,, turned out, it was the sound of "S."

I found the more I hear, the more I learn to hear. learning to hear comes in 3
  1. first time i hear, no idea
  2. second time i hear,, i know i heard it before but what or where
  3. third time i hear,, i remember!
I hope and pray you will find same sucess I had.

I forgot to mention that I got my CI when I was 46. My speech discrimintion before implant was 3%,, now I can understand around 60%. I know that I will NEVER be able to understand 100%,, it's ok, the implant helps me understand other people alot easier now than with hearing aid.
Yes, even I take them off at home at times. Especially when there's no one around me or when I use the computer. But usually do put them on when I'm watching TV. Sometime I find it to be good practice. Whereas one is usually able to read the captions before the speaker actually completes saying them. In another word, I'll read the caption then "listen" to the speaker saying them.

And like you, I always wear them when I go out. However, I do also wear them when I'm driving. For starters, it enables you to hear the "beeps" better. Not to also mention the ambulances, the sirens, etc. To each, his or her own.

I was shaking like hell when I was sent to "that room" filled with surgeons and next thing I know I wake up with my doctor and parents in front of me.

same thing when I took my driving test for the driver's license. All went well. :tears::)
I also remembered getting a little annoyed at a relative that was actually helping me out. When he, as constructively put, was implying that he thought I was kind of being a little "cranky". I then said to that relative "Hey, I'm the one that's having surgery not you!" indicating that he should be a little more understanding and all. However, it was nice of that relative to come with me to the hospital and then to come and stay with me that first weekend after I had surgery and all. It certainly made it easier! And I appreciate it.

CI cannot make a Deaf person's brain know sound. It takes a long time for the brain to adjust and in some cases it just never adjusts. This is not something technology like the CI can bypass or get around either.

CI cannot make a Deaf person's brain know sound. It takes a long time for the brain to adjust and in some cases it just never adjusts. This is not something technology like the CI can bypass or get around either.

Jake already said no negativity here. You should respect him in his thread.

Jake already said no negativity here. You should respect him in his thread.

That's not negativity thats just a fact. Besides, I am not the one who brought up CI not working for all; All I did was explain why it doesn't work for all.

see:

Each person is different in how they will do with CI. However, the main theory is that if you were once able to hear, the memory of sounds that you heard should make it easier to relearn with CI. It takes time and patience and WORK, but as Hear Again has sited, it can be done.

If that's what you experienced with your CI, and you change your statement to make that clear, you have some productive input. If you have not had that experience, and apply it to Deaf persons in general, I can tell you right off that bat that you are wrong: for the vast majority, it is possible for Deaf people's brains to make sense of the sounds accessed via a CI.

and you change your statement to make that clear, you have some productive input. If you have not had that experience, and apply it to Deaf persons in general.

My statement was a fact of science in response to something someone else on here said. It was not a general comment directed at all Deaf people. I thought I made that clear though when I said,
in some cases

According to the Society for Neuroscience, "The cochlear implant is not a miracle cure for deafness. Hearing with the device is not the same as normal hearing, and people must learn how to interpret the sounds it creates"

According to the Society for Neuroscience, "The cochlear implant is not a miracle cure for deafness. Hearing with the device is not the same as normal hearing, and people must learn how to interpret the sounds it creates"

Yes, CIs provide access to sound in a different way than the way the ear functions for typically hearing people. And so people with CIs learn how to interpret sounds they may never have heard before or map sounds to sources all over again if they were previously hearing.

But people with typical hearing also have to learn how to interpret the sounds they detect. A newborn baby hearing a duck quack will not know what that sound is until matched with the concept of duck.

All in all, CI takes time to adapt but in the end, you can hear... right?

its not on same levels as normal hearing but at least we're at some level of hearing than nothing.

So, are people who are Deaf are missing out on something?

Maybe a little. Obviously no one with implants can hear "everything" that a normal hearing person can.

But implants do dramatically increase your hearing levels to the point that I cant ask for more. I'd rather be hearing than in a world without hearing

Back