Profoundly deaf - anyone like me, have CI?

My hubby got a CI in LATE 30's and he can hear more frquency and can hear the varies of high pitches. He likes it a lot than a HA.

good luck.,

Frisky, how long your husband had the CI, which one is it the freedom, it is very good that he is doing great and likes it more than the HA, how was his hearing loss before

JClarke, wow it's been 2 years and now you are coming back to give it try, may be we end up doing it together at the same time, who knows, I wish you the best, that answer from your audi is frankly rude, I would change that audi immediately and go to someone that have a better attitude.
Go for it JClarke, keep us posted, at this stage you got nothing to lose but everything to gain :)

My first CI audi was very negative and very rude at my intital assessment (first appt with surgeon/audi), I hoped that I wouldn't have her for the rest of my CI assessments then after CI switch on. Thankfully, I am so glad I had different one since then and she is fantastic.

Last edited:
I hate it when these audi treat us like retard of some type, I had an audi who thought she is better than anyone, she would look at me like I'm nothing, I changed her and never looked back

Have not given them a call, I have been distracted and busy due to the clean up at my work, as we are relocating to the city tomorrow.

I hate it when these audi treat us like retard of some type, I had an audi who thought she is better than anyone, she would look at me like I'm nothing, I changed her and never looked back

I hated all the HA audi i had growing up/during young adulthood (except 5 years at school which has own audi and she was a very good one) they treated me like an item on conveyer belt, they don't listen, they always seems to be in a hurry, slap ears on and get on with it!!! At my CI centre they spend least an hour tweaking my hearing, test it for few days, if not happy, they will book me in as soon as possible to iron out a small issue then I am fine for good couple of months, Now aiming for a year without tune up!!!

Yeah I had bad audi's growing up. When I was id say 12 yrs old I had this one audi who told my mother I needed a HA for my right ear. They gave me a ITC aide and stuck the damn thing in my right ear. ( at the time was my good ear too!) it distorted everything. I needed the aid for my left ear not the right. but the audi seemed to know better than me lol. I never wore that thing it didnt help one bit made things harder.Glad i dont have that dr anymore.

my office phone is disconnected for the time being - as due to the relocation, as I have moved to the city today. Will call them next week when I reconnect the phone back.

I hated all the HA audi i had growing up/during young adulthood (except 5 years at school which has own audi and she was a very good one) they treated me like an item on conveyer belt, they don't listen, they always seems to be in a hurry, slap ears on and get on with it!!!

I agree completely with you, I had the same experience with NHS audis during my childhood. At secondary school I had a teacher of the deaf/audi who was lovely and went out of her way to help, but once I left school I felt completely abandoned. Once transferred to adult services you only get seen if your HA needs repairing and then only by audis who are more used to seeing HoH old people and have no idea about young people's problems!

Gee, after reconisdering CI on and off, I finally got an appointment to have 2 hour assessment with the audi or whatever on the 26th June 2011.

This is the day I find out the truth I've been waiting for 12 years...

Gee, after reconisdering CI on and off, I finally got an appointment to have 2 hour assessment with the audi or whatever on the 26th June 2011.

Good luck Jake.

Good luck!!

I would hate to have to be debating on this topic for 2 years. I hope it brings peace to you knowing you'll make your decision.

Good luck Jake!!:wave:

Just a question - How would you find the truth out?

Would you accept what a doctor tells you as a truth?

Just a question - How would you find the truth out?

Would you accept what a doctor tells you as a truth?
The assessment will tell me the truth - and they have my history from the first one, I'll see how it goes since the technology has advanced since then

Frisky, how long your husband had the CI, which one is it the freedom, it is very good that he is doing great and likes it more than the HA, how was his hearing loss before

Sorry not replying to you for over year ago. :shock: He received a CI about 6 or 7 years ago. He has been picking up some sounds to make sense to him. He was born profoundly deaf. Indeed, he has a good speaking skill according to a source. Funny thing is that I hear better than him but we both were born profoundly deaf. He's an oral boy and I am an ASL user.

JClarke, your original post kind of reminds me of my own situation. Whereas I first had an evaluation about 10 years ago. And decided not to get a CI then. Then reconsidered and had another evaluation few years ago and got a CI in 2008. Best of luck with your upcoming assessment!

Good luck, keep us posted! I would love to see your results if you feel like sharing them. :)

Good luck, keep us posted! I would love to see your results if you feel like sharing them. :)

What?? I demand to see the results. :lol: You can't tell that you are getting assessed for CI and then say nothing... :wave:

Back