Profoundly deaf - anyone like me, have CI?

oh, okay. what do you mean that she "lost the ci?" did she lose the speech processor or did she have her ci removed?

She lost the speech processor, unfortunately. I know, what an disappointment.

Now, isn't impressed to resume all the CI and thearpy. People perfer to stick with sign language. But for my P.O.V, it would have been an golden opportunity for her to use it around her work place and around hearing people, since she doesn't talk much, only use sign language. For myself, I can talk very well.

Now, isn't impressed to resume all the CI and thearpy. People perfer to stick with sign language. But for my P.O.V, it would have been an golden opportunity for her to use it around her work place and around hearing people, since she doesn't talk much, only use sign language. For myself, I can talk very well.

i imagine that therapy is tough, but at the same time, learning how to hear with a ci takes practice and hard work.

Yeah, it would have been totally worth it in the end. Since I have read a lot of P.O.V from other AD'ers, CI can help with anyone in any condition of their hearing loss, such as myself - due to the latest improvement of the technology.

Yeah, it would have been totally worth it in the end. Since I have read a lot of P.O.V from other AD'ers, CI can help with anyone in any condition of their hearing loss, such as myself - due to the latest improvement of the technology.

that's true. ci's have definitely come a long way since the early 80s. :)

There was a movie called "Hear and Now" a few years ago about a profoundly Deaf couple who get CI's in their 60's! They had both been born Deaf and they both got implants and (eventually) were very happy about it.

Are there available DVD or Book about "Hear and Now" ?

My other friend have a very old CI, and it works very well for her, but it would have been a GREAT jump in improvement if she has the latest new upgrade of the CI, but despite of the old magnet, not sure about it, eh.

And I am still wondering about that DVD too, Phillips.

My other friend have a very old CI, and it works very well for her, but it would have been a GREAT jump in improvement if she has the latest new upgrade of the CI, but despite of the old magnet, not sure about it, eh.

And I am still wondering about that DVD too, Phillips.

what kind of ci brand does your other friend have? if it's a nucleus 22, that ci is compatible with the current freedom processor.

what kind of ci brand does your other friend have? if it's a nucleus 22, that ci is compatible with the current freedom processor.

Actually, not sure, it is pretty old one. She have brownish magnet, but not sure of these names. I am not VERY famailar with CI names.

Yes in fact my lipreading with listening using my CI test result jumped to 85% in 3 months after activation.
At first it was loud and shocking for me but after while so I adjust to it and now I enjoyed a lot of things like tv sound better and some of speech sound much stronger and clearer but there's some sounds I can't stand like AC and toilet flushing haha
I can't use phone, I can't listen to convo clearly with more than 1 hearing person talking to me like group setting right now but I'm still happy with it.
I used to be against CI until I lost much more hearing that I can't use hearing aid without pain, dizziness, headache so I stopped and researched on info about it and decided to get CI and I'm happy I did it.
And yes current technology also convinced me to get CI because it sound so amazin and advanced in technology than I knew 10-15 years ago.
Hope that help :)

I'm bilateral sensorneutral profound loss too 95-115 db in right and 105-120 db in left but now its NR (no response) because CI destroyed my useless residual hearng and I'm 21 years old havent wore hearing aid longer than 1 week for 5 years in right ear and 16 years never wore hearing aid in left ear, I'm deaf mute use sign language and I'm in both hearing and deaf world too. And I got CI implanted in left ear.
Am I similar enough? :)

Skullchick, I have a question resulting to this which might impact from this, You know I have the hearing condition which I just mentioned in the thread, and I was BORN deaf which resulted to the illness from my mother - Rubella, known as german measles and I only can hear LOUD buzzy noises or jet engine noises via my hearing aids, but I mentioned that I quit it years ago and I hear NOTHING with and without, which would be such as NR. I discussed with my friends, who one of them is on waiting list for the CI, has the similar condition as I but was born hearing before the age of 4 which resulted of the hearing loss from meginitis. I am not sure if the improved technology could implant a person like myself?

Skullchick, would you prove me wrong?

This is what I got from the centre via email

The technology has improved but it is the history of your hearing loss that still will determine if what you hear with an implant. Being born profoundly deaf at your age you will only be able to identify speech sounds that you can currently hear through your hearing aids. The Cochlear Implant will enable you to hear speech sounds more loudly and better at a distance which can help you with lipreading BUT the brain will not be able to recognise any new speech information by hearing alone at age 21. You need to have been implanted in early childhood to be able to recognise all speech sounds through listening alone, the brain cannot do this later in life.

You will also hear lots more environmental sounds.

The technology has improved but it is the history of your hearing loss that still will determine if what you hear with an implant. Being born profoundly deaf at your age you will only be able to identify speech sounds that you can currently hear through your hearing aids. The Cochlear Implant will enable you to hear speech sounds more loudly and better at a distance which can help you with lipreading BUT the brain will not be able to recognise any new speech information by hearing alone at age 21. You need to have been implanted in early childhood to be able to recognise all speech sounds through listening alone, the brain cannot do this later in life.

You will also hear lots more environmental sounds.

That doesn't sound too good. Did you ever understand speech at all with hearing aids?

[/FONT][/COLOR][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

hmmm. this may or may not be true. i know someone who was born profoundly deaf and received a ci at age 18. with speech therapy and auditory training, she learned how to talk on the phone as well as enjoy tv and music. she now uses her ci to the fullest extent possible.

Skullchick, I have a question resulting to this which might impact from this, You know I have the hearing condition which I just mentioned in the thread, and I was BORN deaf which resulted to the illness from my mother - Rubella, known as german measles and I only can hear LOUD buzzy noises or jet engine noises via my hearing aids, but I mentioned that I quit it years ago and I hear NOTHING with and without, which would be such as NR. I discussed with my friends, who one of them is on waiting list for the CI, has the similar condition as I but was born hearing before the age of 4 which resulted of the hearing loss from meginitis. I am not sure if the improved technology could implant a person like myself?

Skullchick, would you prove me wrong?

i cant hear jet engine right next to my left ear and never did since birth and im doing well with ci.
and i know one blogger been deaf for 30 years without hearing aid and she got some sounds but she have little bit of vibration with sound. and one girl that have NR with and without hearing aids so she never heard a sound for her whole life and shes 14 now and she can hear some sound like car blinker with 3 active electrodes the other right now is causing eye twitches so its inactive but shes happy with it. I know a girl personally went deaf at 2 from mengitis and she got ci 2 years ago and now she can uses phone.
I'm sure it'll work for you

Back