Problems with My Step Son

Seems it's getting worse and worse. I would call/talk to ur wife's doctor, change my phone number, get a cell phone if necessary.

Will any of the other family members help? Get involved? Does ur wife have a sister, brother, etc., that could have a heart-to-heart talk with her? And explain why things have to be this way?

I would also try to tape the calls, and report to the police every time he harrass you....I would also take him to court! Would the ADA be able to help? Legal Aid lawyer?

All in all, stand firm in ur convictions, knowing it's for the betterment of ur wife's health and ur peace of mind. I'm hoping ur step son will not retort to more violence towards you and ur wife. Make sure ur home is secure! And have protection.

He sounds just like a "punk"!

Someone said the son need help! The son is going want to get help , the court can order the kid to get help , but that does not mean he will listen ! How old is your step son ? It is a drag he was abuse by his father but that is no excuses for him to be an asshole! You're doing all the right things and you need to keep calling the cops when the ass threaten you and your wife! The kid belong in jail before he hurt and your wife! My ex husband had 2 sons and one doing drugs and had no job. My husband asked if his son could move in with us ,as it was my home. I told my step son no drugs were
allowed in my home and I that found drug rehab. center for him to go to and that I may have job for him working at a radio station! My step son did not move in ! He did not like all my rules!

He's 20, will be 21 next month. He's already beyond the help from the courts nor can we force him. He's gonna want that for himself and I suspect it'll take hitting rock bottom (if not dead first) before help can become the equation.

Seems it's getting worse and worse. I would call/talk to ur wife's doctor, change my phone number, get a cell phone if necessary.

Will any of the other family members help? Get involved? Does ur wife have a sister, brother, etc., that could have a heart-to-heart talk with her? And explain why things have to be this way?

I would also try to tape the calls, and report to the police every time he harrass you....I would also take him to court! Would the ADA be able to help? Legal Aid lawyer?

All in all, stand firm in ur convictions, knowing it's for the betterment of ur wife's health and ur peace of mind. I'm hoping ur step son will not retort to more violence towards you and ur wife. Make sure ur home is secure! And have protection.

He sounds just like a "punk"!

Changing phone numbers takes money, money I don't have. Any suggestions anyone makes takes money. So keep that in mind when suggesting something.

Yiz

I called the Prosecutor's office an hr ago and the person on the phone said she has not yet received any of the paperwork regarding my SS. So, I called the police station and left a message with the officer who took the report.

An hr later, I just got a call back. The police who took the reports called to check and make sure they did find the paperwork and told'em the case numbers. He also mentioned yesterday's report which is being forwarded to the PO today.

He explains the paperwork will be screened for a couple of days and then assign a prosecutor to look into the case and decide to either go forward with it or close it.

I asked whether or not I will be hearing from the PO and he said he's not sure about that since he doesn't hang out in the PO's office to see what entails in everything they do since he's only a patrol officer.

He suggested to wait a couple of days before calling the PO's office again for a follow up.

Yiz

I called the Prosecutor's office an hr ago and the person on the phone said she has not yet received any of the paperwork regarding my SS. So, I called the police station and left a message with the officer who took the report.

An hr later, I just got a call back. The police who took the reports called to check and make sure they did find the paperwork and told'em the case numbers. He also mentioned yesterday's report which is being forwarded to the PO today.

He explains the paperwork will be screened for a couple of days and then assign a prosecutor to look into the case and decide to either go forward with it or close it.

I asked whether or not I will be hearing from the PO and he said he's not sure about that since he doesn't hang out in the PO's office to see what entails in everything they do since he's only a patrol officer.

He suggested to wait a couple of days before calling the PO's office again for a follow up.

Yiz

You could block phone number by give his number to your phone company.

I'll try that, wonder if they charge?

Yiz

No charge where I live...and I'm also sure that if ur phone company knew about the problem with ur SS, they would help you with changing ur number, get an unpublished/unlisted one! At no cost, or very little cost, and work with you monthly....I've done it before and blocked some people also....An answering machine might help too.

Well I added call block and come to find out it does not block cell phone numbers, just land line numbers. Worthless feature. :(

So I removed it.

Yiz

Well I added call block and come to find out it does not block cell phone numbers, just land line numbers. Worthless feature. :(

So I removed it.

Yiz

Darn
It tough. Have you try call phone company to ask how to block or change number without charge?

do some tough love, kick him out, find him a job, send him to a rehab counselor, to AA-like meeting for drugs, Outward Bound, etc.
My local school have a program sending troubled kids to visit a jail where some of the hardened criminals wil give those kids long lecture. Believe it or not, it actually worked.

do some tough love, kick him out, find him a job, send him to a rehab counselor, to AA-like meeting for drugs, Outward Bound, etc.
My local school have a program sending troubled kids to visit a jail where some of the hardened criminals wil give those kids long lecture. Believe it or not, it actually worked.

I already did all that. The rest is up to him.

Yiz

Friend of mine "walked" over this AM....her 25 yr. old son stole her purse and car keys/house keys, etc. She's divorced, works, now has to find a way to work! He took all her money!....She's called the police and made a report.

That's about all she can do for now.....

anytime a child have been abused, they need help. Or their cycle of abuse will repeat. sadly it is too late for him.

Last edited:
We're talking drug addiction here. Not all people who are drug addicted have been abused. It's far more complicated than that. If you haven't dealt with drug addiction, consider yourself lucky. Until the drug addict decides he wants help, everyone is powerless to help him.

We're talking drug addiction here. Not all people who are drug addicted have been abused. It's far more complicated than that. If you haven't dealt with drug addiction, consider yourself lucky. Until the drug addict decides he wants help, everyone is powerless to help him.

That's right! Been there w/a family member.....Drug addicts will cheat, lie, kill....anything to get their drugs. They don't care/think of anything else....but the DRUGS!!...Nobody can help them but themselves. Some reach the bottom...get help....some don't....even living in the woods and eating out of dumpsters, prostitution, etc....they reach a point to where the drug has overtaken them...and nothing can be done.

Friend of mine "walked" over this AM....her 25 yr. old son stole her purse and car keys/house keys, etc. She's divorced, works, now has to find a way to work! He took all her money!....She's called the police and made a report.

That's about all she can do for now.....

That's the kind of crap that makes me sick.

This happened to us as well. I came to discover that while my wife was still hospitalized last year when our discussion about her wedding ring and she wanted it back on, despite of the fact her left hand is all curled up due to the stroke she had. They were removed when her health suddenly went south and her hands swelled up. I was afraid they were going to cut it off, but they managed to grease it off, thank god.

Anyway, so the next day, the discussion came to the forefront of my mind, so I went to the dresser drawer to locate my wife's wedding ring and lo and behold, her old wedding ring was in the wrong box. So I'm thinking, WTF?

So I checked the other box where her old wedding ring was and her current ring was in the box.

Now I noticed there was a tag on her old ring and it was the tag that was originally from the new ring.

My step-daughter had already moved out and she has no keys to the house. So logically it had to come from my SS.

I recalled a conversation when my step son was living with his then g/f that he had at times pawned off stuff to help pay the bills and get baby stuff. He mentioned how easy it was to pawn stuff off.

So with that in mind, I realized he tried to pawn off his mom's old wedding ring when she was married to her ex-husband. That ring is worth more than what I paid for her wedding ring. He attached the tag to her old ring and tried to pawn it off. But he failed because most pawn shops will not take rings that already has an inscription inside the ring with her ex-husband's name.

So he brought it back and put it back in the wrong box.

So when I confronted him, he denied it and I knew he was trying to pawn it off to buy drugs with.

So I told him I will be keeping an eye on everything and if I find anything missing, I'm calling the cops.

Nothing came out missing since then.

Except for the ladder incident, but I got that resolved rather quickly.

I won't be surprised he gets busted for some type of theft. His dad had already served 10 years for aggravated burglary. Won't be surprised he's following that loser's footsteps.

Yiz

I am sorry about the trouble you and your wife are going through with your step-son. I hope you all get the help you all need.

Speaking of blocking numbers, my parents used to have a service called "privacy director." How it worked is that whoever calls you, they will have to say who it is before you decide to take it or not. If it is a private number or someone refusing to identify themselves would be automatically disconnected and it won't get through. This works wonderful on unwanted calls such as tele-marketers.

I have never used privacy director on my phone line before, so I have no idea how use it is for the deaf people to have.

I am sorry about the trouble you and your wife are going through with your step-son. I hope you all get the help you all need.

Speaking of blocking numbers, my parents used to have a service called "privacy director." How it worked is that whoever calls you, they will have to say who it is before you decide to take it or not. If it is a private number or someone refusing to identify themselves would be automatically disconnected and it won't get through. This works wonderful on unwanted calls such as tele-marketers.

I have never used privacy director on my phone line before, so I have no idea how use it is for the deaf people to have.

Thanks for the tip, I'll ask my phone landline provider if they have that service.

Yiz

Last edited:

I was only responding to the abused part. And some cases, abused children do end up taking drugs.

I do have a cousin who did take take drugs and nearly died from it. The best you can do is tough love. That what worked for our cousin... btw, tell him that the health dept may offer free vasectomy and actually take him to one because he is being way too careless with his sex life.

It's called "Call Intercept" and it only works against "Unknown" callers based on caller ID. If a full name appears on caller ID, it will bypass "Call Intercept".

Once again, another useless feature.

Call Block is the only answer and it seriously lacks an option to block cell phone numbers.

Verizon whom I am with that provides services for my landline phone is seemingly reluctant to include cell phone numbers into the Call Block feature and I wonder why?

Are cell companies paying phone companies NOT to block cell phone numbers? I wonder.

Nonetheless, seems to me that writing to my Congressman and Senators will have to be the next step in hopes that they will force phone companies to INCLUDE cell phone numbers into the already existing Call Block feature.

I'm not paying to have Call Block and Call Intercept which is a separate charge feature. Ridiculous and I'm paying too much already for my phone service. I'd rather pay for just Call Block which can and should include both phone technologies.

Yiz

Back