Problems with My Step Son

yizuman

Reaction score
Well, to try and make a long story short.

I have 2 step kids, both don't like me for one simple reason, they've been abused by their father, as well as my wife had been abused by her former husband.

The kids don't trust older adults due to their bad experience. I tried to convince them that not all adults are bad, but they're having a hard time wrapping that concept in their heads.

The most violent one is my step son, either it's genetics or it's behavioral observation on his part watching his dad get violent or both.

Anyway, on July 8th of this year, my step son came home drunk and high on something. Went into his room and came out 5 mins later screaming, whereas my HA actually picked it up (I'm 97% deaf).

I turned around to read his lips, "Where's my f#@&ing sh#t??"

Now we have rules in this house, no drugs or alcohol in the home. Smoking is done outside of the house, due to my wife's degraded health after having had spent a year in a hospital suffering from a congestive heart failure, renal failure, respiratory arrest and a stroke. She has a tract in her throat that allows her to breathe easier, so cigarette smoke will aggravate her breathing problems.

Anyway, after reading his lips asking where his stuff is, I realized he had drugs in his room and I reminded him of the house rules, he ignored me.

Apparently he misplaced his pot (I later found it and flushed them down the toilet, more on that later in this post) and in his paranoia state, he thought I had found his pot and got rid of it, so he's very angry about that.

Anyway, he ran up to my face and asked me once more, I told him I was not aware he had drugs in his room and reminded him that I do respect the privacy of his room. He didn't care much for that last statement, so he punched me in the stomach.

So here I am on my knees holding my stomach and crying my eyes out, he went into my room (my wife and I sleep seperately since she is bedridden on her medical bed and to also let you know, she's also a double amputee, she was born with one leg and lost it to bone cancer at the age of 15, she's been wheelchair ridden since then.) and tore it up looking for his drugs.

He has a misconception that everyone does drugs, yet he knows we don't do drugs. Go figure.

Then he came back out and demanded to know what I did with his pot. I reiterated that I did not know he had them and never been into his room. He grabbed my hat and held it hostage, when I did not answer his question to his satisfaction, he tore it up. Then he walked past me, grabbed one of my grandmother's lamp, one of the matching set. He held it above my printer/scanner and demanded once more. I gave him the same answer, he smashed my lamp and in the process destroyed my printer/scanner.

Then he went back in his room and I can feel from the floor that he's punching holes in his wall and to my imagined mind, he's cussing his brains out.

So I get on my TDD, dialed 911 and while I am typing my situation with my step-son, he comes out and sees me on the TDD, so he ran up and grabbed it, threw it on the floor and stomped on it. Then he reads the ticker tape that I called the police, he bolts out of the back door.

The cops came and saw the damage and took my report, then they left to go looking for him.

While the cops was here, my wife came home from dialysis and sees what he did to our stuff, she starts crying.

What made her cry even harder was I had initially wanted to press charges and she didn't want her son to go to jail. After a lengthy discussion, I called the cops back to our house and we conveyed our thoughts to them about the situation.

We came to an agreement that the charges would be dropped and my step-son would be perma banned from the house. I later filed a restraining order against him and it was granted for 2 years and can be refiled every 2 years if I wish it. I also was granted monetary damages that he had done to the house and items. (btw, he never showed up at the hearing, I won it by default) I will also need to take him to a small claims court to collect the money, plus loans that I gave him that he never paid back.

Anyway, 2 nights ago, he called at 2 AM, woke my wife up and he was drunk as hell, he threaten to break into the house and beat me up. He blamed me for throwing his sorry ass out of the house. He called me all sorts of names and she had to hang up on him.

I have a strobe light attached to a remote thingy that is activated by a remote button and she used it to wake me from bed (good for emergencies too if she needs me). I go to her room and find her crying, so I asked what was wrong. She told me about the phone call and I got so pissed off.

I consoled her for the night until she went back to sleep. He had a lot of nerve calling on her dialysis night and because of the state of her health. She does not need more declining of her health from his filthy mouth.

So after she left to go to dialysis, I called the police. They came and took my report, saw the caller ID of the time he called and showed him 2 numbers, one a land line, from where he's staying with his g/f who still lives with her mom. The other was a cell phone number. I also showed on paper his address where he is staying. He's gonna file that with the prosecutor's office.

Then last night, that son of a bastard called again at 11:40 PM, saying the same thing, except he called his mom a bitch for marrying me and I was in the room with her, as soon as I saw tears from her eyes, I grabbed the phone and hung up on him. Then called the cops on the spot via VP. Despite of her objections.

They came and once again took my report, only different this time was they was gonna go talk to him.

I got paranoid and walked back and forth throughout the house holding a baseball bat and looking out the windows, looking for any signs of the bastard.

Then I got very tired around almost 2 AM and decided to go to bed, with my bat nearby, out of view of him in case he broke in, but I only know where it is.

I left the computer on in hopes of fooling him into thinking I'm still awake since the computer is viewable through the window shades.

God knows what else he'll try to pull. That sick bastard needs to be locked up for life, he's dangerous to not only us, but to people around him as well.

Anyway, about his pot, I packed up all his stuff and had his friends come pick them all up. During my packing, I found his pot buried under some clothes in the closet. A baggie, looks like a quarter ounce at least from the looks of it. Took it to the bathroom and flushed it down the toilet. The last thing we need is cops raiding the house and finding his crap. The worse case scenario would be our house could havfe confiscated due to drugs being in the house and auctioned off by the sheriff's department. That stupid little snit!

Yiz

You should have told him the truth about the pot but I am sorry about what happened, your stepson needs some help

You should have told him the truth about the pot but I am sorry about what happened, your stepson needs some help

Huh? I did not know he had pot in his room in the first place. Did you read the entire post or where you just being a selective reader or have a serious lack of a comprehension skill? Or are you on drugs?

Yiz

Yiz, Oh That is a very tough situation where you are in. I think you are doing the right thing to do and do everything you can. Too bad that the step son has not seen in himself for what he have done to his mom and you. have you ever seen him when he has a soft heart? if so, then find a way to convince him to seek for a job but i read all of your post. That sounds like he is stubborn. Keep doing what you have to do, and i know cops can't come and check on you constantly like everyone who have same situation as yours. So id like to know what you need to hear from us for giving your some feedbacks? i dont know what to say but i am truly sorry about your situation. what about the second step son? is the second step son close to his brother??

Huh? I did not know he had pot in his room in the first place. Did you read the entire post or where you just being a selective reader or have a serious lack of a comprehension skill? Or are you on drugs?

Yiz

Calm down!! I read the whole thing, you said that you flushed the pot in the toliet but you did not tell him that you flushed the pot in the toliet

yiz, IMHO you did the right thing. tuff situation. the kid needs intevention, rehab and to get with a program

Yiz

My apolizes to you, I did not understand some of the post so I am a retard

Yiz, Oh That is a very tough situation where you are in. I think you are doing the right thing to do and do everything you can. Too bad that the step son has not seen in himself for what he have done to his mom and you. have you ever seen him when he has a soft heart? if so, then find a way to convince him to seek for a job but i read all of your post. That sounds like he is stubborn. Keep doing what you have to do, and i know cops can't come and check on you constantly like everyone who have same situation as yours. So id like to know what you need to hear from us for giving your some feedbacks? i dont know what to say but i am truly sorry about your situation. what about the second step son? is the second step son close to his brother??

Sorry I wasn't clear, I have a step son and a step daughter and neither likes each other as they often verbally fight with each other. Their father pretty much destroyed what could have been a loving relationship.

Yiz

Calm down!! I read the whole thing, you said that you flushed the pot in the toliet but you did not tell him that you flushed the pot in the toliet

No, why should I? It only serve to aggravate him more.

Yiz

yiz, IMHO you did the right thing. tuff situation. the kid needs intevention, rehab and to get with a program

I wish he would. problem with kids in his age (he's 20 btw) and those on drugs early in that age have a tendency to like drugs too much and care less what anyone thinks of it.

He needs to hit rock bottom before considering that option.

Yiz

Okay, if you say so but you do have a good point

It's a logical point.

Nonetheless, don't be hard on yourself, just because you misunderstood something doesn't make you a retard.

Easy dude. Have a cold one! Preferably a non-alcohol beverage. :P

Yiz

He will probably end up abusing a non relative eventually and be jailed. Then your problem will be gone for a while.

It's a logical point.

Nonetheless, don't be hard on yourself, just because you misunderstood something doesn't make you a retard.

Easy dude. Have a cold one! Preferably a non-alcohol beverage. :P

Yiz

Thanks, I am actually drinking a nice cold Dr.Pepper :mrgreen:

I wish he would. problem with kids in his age (he's 20 btw) and those on drugs early in that age have a tendency to like drugs too much and care less what anyone thinks of it.

He needs to hit rock bottom before considering that option.

Yiz

yes. a prison. hopefully that prison has a very good rehab program.

I'm sorry that you've had to go through this, Yiz! :( I think you did the right thing by kicking him out, getting the restraining order and getting the money back for all the things he broke. I really hope he gets the help he needs! :)

20 Yrs. old.....old enuf to know better.....but too stupid to give a damn.

Been there before, Yiz....ur wife was like me, not wanting him to go to jail, etc. ..... until I finally "woke up" and realized I was an enabler to the problem in my home....and I kicked him out.

I feel changing the locks on ur doors, making sure ur windows are locked, etc., might bring you some peace of mind, cause ya never know what people do while they are on drugs/alcohol.

Sooner or later, he's probably gonna start "begging" to come home....but please! don't let him....he's disrespected you & ur wife big time!...

He needs to be locked up for a few years, not 6 months....but a few years!

Back