Pope shows concern but no apology for Islam comments

Y

Reaction score
Pope Benedict XVI is "very upset" that comments he made about Islam caused anger to Muslims. The Vatican issued a statement Saturday that stopped short of an explicit apology. The action came as Muslims around the world held protests against the pope's quoting of a 14th century emperor who criticized the Prophet Mohammed.
CNN.com - Pope upset that Muslims offended - Sep 16, 2006

newt1.1055.pope6.afp.gi.jpg

This is not clear about what exactly what
did Pope say that was offensive toward Muslim ?

I assume that this is the one of Pope's statements here:

Pope's quotation: "Conversion by violence not of God"

and

"God," the emperor, as the pope quoted, said, "is not pleased by blood -- and not acting reasonably is contrary to God's nature."

and

Pope Benedict XVI said Tuesday that Islamic holy war was against God's nature and invited Muslims to join in a peaceful cultural dialogue.

In a speech at Regensburg University, Benedict made an unusual reference to jihad, or holy war -- a concept used by today's Islamic extremists to justify suicide bombings and other attacks.

Benedict's address was about faith and reason, and how they cannot be separated and are essential for "that genuine dialogue of cultures and religions so urgently needed today."

CNN.com - Pope: Conversion by violence not of God - Sep 12, 2006

I tried searching online but seems I can't find what the Pope said , perphaps the Pope was too strong. I will have to stop by the local catholic church because I know the priest and he helps me once in a while.

I tried searching online but seems I can't find what the Pope said , perphaps the Pope was too strong. I will have to stop by the local catholic church because I know the priest and he helps me once in a while.

Google News shows what the Pope said. I, as a Catholic, think he could have chosen a better choice of words. It seems like the radicals are getting all the attention nowadays, which then feeds into a vicious cycle. BHAI1, can you comment on this?

Google News shows what the Pope said. I, as a Catholic, think he could have chosen a better choice of words. It seems like the radicals are getting all the attention nowadays, which then feeds into a vicious cycle. BHAI1, can you comment on this?

I think what the Pope said was the truth. There can be no violence for a true conversion to happen across any religious tables ( Protestant, Catholic, Islam, Jewish ) by the way, I am a Protestant Christian.

The Pope had this to say .....

Pope's quotation: "Conversion by violence not of God"

this is how we muslims areadvised to react..ideally

PROHIBITED METHODS
Taking photos, shouting profanity against others, reviling their religions and their holy personages, injuring people, damaging property, hurling stones, reprisal acts targeting innocent people who may be related to the criminals by race, looting and similar acts of anarchy are all haraam.

PERMISSIBLE METHODS
Although protest marches are not Islamic nor admirable ways, nevertheless, if maintained within the bounds of the Shariah, will be permissible.

Other permissible ways are trade boycotts, petitions, legal action, and any method which is lawful in the country of protest, and which does not conflict with the Shariah.
Voicing our indignation, anger and grief when our Deen is insulted is permissible. This right is not contested. But the methods of protest have to be within the bounds of the Shariah. Even peaceful, non-violent methods will not be permissible if any of the limits of the Shariah are transgressed.
(apologies for dodgy translation)

For those of you that might be confused, SHARIAH, is islamic law, its separate from normal law.

In my country, shariah law is adapted to most parts of society,including banking laws and customary marriage!!

Kashveera

For those of you that might be confused, SHARIAH, is islamic law, its separate from normal law.

In my country, shariah law is adapted to most parts of society,including banking laws and customary marriage!!

Kashveera

Shariah can be adapted to banking? How? I thought the Koran forbade Muslims from usury.

Shariah can be adapted to banking? How? I thought the Koran forbade Muslims from usury.

I don't know but there was this thing about muslim people not allowed to take interest or something of that sort. So our national banks opened accounts for muslim people so that shariah law wouldn't be breached!!

Kashveera

What exactly are the hadiths ? I have never really understood what the hadiths are for and are they part of the quran or seperate from the quran ?

What exactly are the hadiths ? I have never really understood what the hadiths are for and are they part of the quran or seperate from the quran ?

The hadiths are a collection of Mohammed's sayings, and don't have to be adhered to as sctictly as the Koran.

Thanks Kashveera, for clarifying the matter!

As fyborg says: the koran is the ultimate law, from it comes shariah (i think)!!

Its like the supreme law, so it precedes every other thing!

Kashveera

As fyborg says: the koran is the ultimate law, from it comes shariah (i think)!!

Its like the supreme law, so it precedes every other thing!

Kashveera

Yeah, Shariah comes from the Koran...
This is yet another time I wish BHAI1 was here.
He can explain it better than I can!

Yeah, Shariah comes from the Koran...
This is yet another time I wish BHAI1 was here.
He can explain it better than I can!

Me too, BHAI1 knows it well...my first cousins are muslim, but I don't know everything, because I'm a staunch hindu!!

Kashveera

I know a bit...but I'm Catholic and more familiar with the Bible...
Will he please help?
It's night over in the UK, so it'll be a while..

I know a bit...but I'm Catholic and more familiar with the Bible...
Will he please help?
It's night over in the UK, so it'll be a while..
because pope blame muslim and ismlin did about this destroy 10 time damage church . i think so guess?

because pope blame muslim and ismlin did about this destroy 10 time damage church . i think so guess?

No, because he's probably sleeping.

And the Church's been through 2,000 years of disagreements and mudslinging--I think it can handle itself. The Pope did not blame Muslims! Read the article.

No, because he's probably sleeping.

And the Church's been through 2,000 years of disagreements and mudslinging--I think it can handle itself. The Pope did not blame Muslims! Read the article.
what he is sleeping?

BHAI1 is sleeping...
ohhh i understand that you said MPACUK :: Muslim Discussion Forum - Mobile...
A Muslim forum, for discussing issues related to Muslims and Islam in the UK ... Originally Posted by BHAI1 ... Originally...???????

Back