Polygamy

Several people have said that polygamy is OK with them as long as it involves consensual adults. However, in most examples of polygamy that we've seen in the USA, they've included minors, force, and people who live on the fringes of society. Despite talk of equality, almost all cases of polygamy in the USA are about one man "in charge of" several women. Also, it's not about one man supporting several women and children. It's the women who still go to work supporting the families. Sometimes they support the man, too. Where's the benefit in that, for the women?

Does anyone know of any cases of one wife, many husbands in the USA? If so, how did that work out?

I definitely wouldn't support what you describe above. I've never seen, or heard of any examples of one wife and multiple husbands.

I definitely wouldn't support what you describe above. I've never seen, or heard of any examples of one wife and multiple husbands.

There are plenty of cultures in which that is the accepted marriage arrangement.

Several people have said that polygamy is OK with them as long as it involves consensual adults. However, in most examples of polygamy that we've seen in the USA, they've included minors, force, and people who live on the fringes of society. Despite talk of equality, almost all cases of polygamy in the USA are about one man "in charge of" several women. Also, it's not about one man supporting several women and children. It's the women who still go to work supporting the families. Sometimes they support the man, too. Where's the benefit in that, for the women?

Does anyone know of any cases of one wife, many husbands in the USA? If so, how did that work out?

I don't know of any cases that have gone public in the States, but it is a viable practice in several cultures throughout the world. I would say that we see many wives with one husband more here because women outnumber men in our population.

The way you have described polygamy is unfortunately, the distorted way it is practiced in the US. We are a paternalistic society, and unfortunately, women often get the short end of the stick.

There are plenty of cultures in which that is the accepted marriage arrangement.
How about in the USA?

Please give examples of the successful one woman with many men cultures.

I don't know of any cases that have gone public in the States, but it is a viable practice in several cultures throughout the world. I would say that we see many wives with one husband more here because women outnumber men in our population.

The way you have described polygamy is unfortunately, the distorted way it is practiced in the US. We are a paternalistic society, and unfortunately, women often get the short end of the stick.
So, polygamy would not work in the USA.

What are examples of "undistorted" polygamy that are successful and equitable for women?

So, polygamy would not work in the USA.

What are examples of "undistorted" polygamy that are successful and equitable for women?

I didn't say it wouldn't work in the U.S. If someone was dedicated to that type of a relationship, it could work anywhere.

Again, the polygamy that is practiced in other cultures is certainly more equitable than what you find in the U.S. In fact, there are women who prefer it, just as there are women who prefer arranged marraiges. We can't judge all by our culture.

The matriarchal cultures/societies of Africa.
That's not very specific. In what ways are they successful? How are they set up? Who does the work? Please, more details of their arrangements, and which countries.

I didn't say it wouldn't work in the U.S. If someone was dedicated to that type of a relationship, it could work anywhere.
Unless the intrinsic concept itself was flawed. Also, there would have to be more than rare examples for anything to be considered a success system within a culture.

Again, the polygamy that is practiced in other cultures is certainly more equitable than what you find in the U.S. In fact, there are women who prefer it, just as there are women who prefer arranged marraiges. We can't judge all by our culture.
Specific examples, please.

Would that work in the USA?

I think this is very similar to arranged marriage. Arranged marriage can also be connected to marrying minors, abuse, etc. But, at the same time, with the right kind of people, it can work. However, in my opinion, it works better in the Indian culture (in India) rather than Indians in America.

When I went to Africa, I met a few men who had several wives. I also met a woman who refused to marry a man who had other wives. She said that she gets jealous easily. To each their own!

Like I said...not necessarily for me, but I don't judge other consenting adults regarding what works for them.

I am a widow, too. For 18 years now.

Really!! oh I understand I am surprised,

I think so my uncle manuplit 0_0 omg he didn't marry because no idea parents don't tell me, I ask my mom

he didn't marry her!

prove on license on marry on pastor reason otherwise government Canada

I am shocked

That's not very specific. In what ways are they successful? How are they set up? Who does the work? Please, more details of their arrangements, and which countries.

Google matriarchal societies. They are generally hunter/gatherer societies.
What do you mean how are they set up? They are set up as a matriarchal society. Women hold the positions of power. Depending upon the society, it could be that the uncle of the offspring, (mother's brother) has more control over the children than does the actual father. The men leave their families and enter into the family of the female.

Unless the intrinsic concept itself was flawed. Also, there would have to be more than rare examples for anything to be considered a success system within a culture.

Specific examples, please.

Would that work in the USA?

It doesn't necessarily have to be a success system within a culture. It can be seen as an individual success.

I don't think the intrinsic concept is flawed, at all.

As I said, it could work anywhere, depending upon the dedication of those involved in the relationship.

it's called polyandry. one wife with multiple husbands. found in Africa, and Asia, South America.

I think this is very similar to arranged marriage. Arranged marriage can also be connected to marrying minors, abuse, etc. But, at the same time, with the right kind of people, it can work. However, in my opinion, it works better in the Indian culture (in India) rather than Indians in America.

When I went to Africa, I met a few men who had several wives. I also met a woman who refused to marry a man who had other wives. She said that she gets jealous easily. To each their own!

I have a very dear friend from Afghanistan whose father had 7 wives. She has 22 siblings. It worked well for them. She and her husband were an arranged couple. She is perfectly satisfied in her marraige.

In fact, arranged marraiges generally do not suffer the problems that marriges based on romantic love do. My friend had a very interesting take on that. She said that in America, people have unrealistic expectations of what marraige is and how it should be because they have all the romantic fairy tales in their heads. Couples who enter into an arranged marraige do not have those unrealistic expectations,and therefore, are generally more satisfied with the nature of the relationship.

I too have a good friend from Bahrain whose father and grandfather have multiple wives. he's thinking of getting another wife and I'm not sure what to think of that because I'm monogamous :aw:

Most of that......... Is the media. :aw:

Back