Pics of Your Musical Instruments!!!

Nice guitars... i dont have an obsession with anything really but i really like your instruments
i have a violin..but i never play it anymore i played it all through middle school and high school and hated it...so yea its up in my closet in its case unused...:P

Send it to me - I have always wanted to learn to play the violin.

Actually, you are failing to see exactly what ragtime is and that it is simply characterized by a syncopated melody with the right hand over normal (not syncopated) but regular bass movements with the left hand. THAT is the recognizable sound heard in ragtime (do you know what "syncopated" means?). Chords are part of ragtime, no doubt, but chords alone do not describe ragtime. YOu can use other musical instruments to play ragtime, even when they cannot play chords at all. There are many rags that use single notes on a piano rather than mostly chords to produce the necessary melody in ragtime. Possum and Taters is a good example of that. So is the first half of Red Pepper - A Spicy Rag. Same for Rose-bud March. The syncopated melody is the really the heart of ragtime along with the left hand bass movements. It is what allows you to recognize it as a ragtime piece for what it is and not about the chords as the identifying feature. You can take the same chords, the progression, and the melody of Marry Had a Little Lamb into a ragtime format. In ragtime it combines the left hand bass movements (the "oom-pah oom-pah" feel to it) while the right hand plays the syncopated movements that produces the melody. If it isn't syncopated, it cannot fall into the ragtime category. Period. Thus the reason why ragtime is called "ragtime" is because the right hand melody plays in "ragged" time. Get it? Or syncopated as they call it.

I never claimed that syncopated music is only exclusive to the ragtime genre but its domain is the heavily syncopated melody with the bass movement of the left hand. That's ragtime. Ever been to parlor and hear ragtime without a piano? Which would play the bass? Which ones would play the ragtime melodic notes? :cool2:

Joplin played both upright and grand pianos. This has been documented. His background was classical music influenced by his German music teacher where Joplin was exposed early on to classical composition (and even opera). Scott Joplin's family was able to afford a grand piano around 1881 (Joplin was born in 1868) according to ragtime historians. In his earlier years he played on grand pianos while in his formative years he continued to play and compose ragtime on both upright and grand pianos. There is a grand piano replica in Joplin's house (museum) as well. Scott Joplin owned a grand piano, one described by a renowned opera coach as being a "very fine instrument." Also, if you ever get a chance to see the cover of "Pastime Rags" music sheet you will see a grand piano being played by a woman, Eleanor Stark, whose father is the publisher of Scott Joplin's music pieces. Joplin has played on grand pianos in other venues even though uprights was the most used when it came to vaudeville, bordellos, saloons, bars, etc whenever and wherever he played. No doubt. But the big irony in all this is that Joplin's first exposure to piano was a grand piano! His mother, former slave, worked for a white family who had a grand piano. She had to bring Scott Joplin to work (couldn't leave him at home) where he got his first exposure to a piano. His talent was recognized early on on his predisposition to play a piano. Family worked hard to pay (free chores to allow Joplin to play on the grand piano where his mother worked) for Joplin's piano lessons with his German born piano teach who introduced him to classical composition. And that was on a grand piano, too. On his own, he played on uprights and then in his formative productive years played and composed ragtime on both the grand piano and upright. He played much more on upright pianos, sure, but he has played on grand pianos as well. Look up the history of Treemonisha, a ragtime opera (he was influenced by his teacher who was into classical opera, too). So, it's a safe bet that he would've preferred a grand piano. Any serious pianist would more than likely preferred a grand piano. He was at heart in many ways a classical pianist.

Are you a pianist? Not likely at it would seems.

Still, there were many ragtime pieces composed with a grand piano in mind, or so it seems. This can be seen in 1900s to 1910s music piece whose cover arts showed a grand piano - a preferred piece of instrument to play ragtime on. I've seen multiples of these ragtime covers with a grand piano on it. So, ragtime was indeed played on grand pianos. Not everybody was poor or couldn't afford a grand piano. Ragtime was played everywhere, and not just exclusively in back alleys and saloons of which you seem to strongly infer.

Now, let me say this to you. Do not assume what I can or cannot hear. I play. I hear the music. I hear all of the notes. The chords. Even the mistakes. And when I hear the mistakes whenever I play and I correct them. In ragtime sometimes chords would sound a bit off and I have to look again to make sure I had my fingers in the right position or if I missed a flat or a sharp key but it would turn out that my fingers placement were indeed correct and that's how it was written. It's a part of the flavor of ragtime. Once you play it at a regular speed the whole sound comes out really well. And, yes, my piano is tuned! So, leave that one out.

So, What is your background in music? Do you play the piano? Organ? Clarinet? Or do you just simply play the kazoo and pretend to be the band leader? Are you an experienced musicologist? what? It is already obvious that you do not understand what ragtime is about, nor the complexity of it either. Or that there are numerous styles under ragtime. Or how it overlapped and progressed into novelty pianos, early jazz and even into the blues. One influencing the others somehow. Ragtime has been romanticized over time thinking its' all about "tinny" pianos, or the honky-tonk versions. Don't let those Hollywood films mislead you. But if you don't play the piano or don’t even discuss or know ragtime as part of your ragtime experience then why should I even take you seriously in this discussion?

Oh please, spare me.

My musical background far, far outweighs yours, I can assure you. And I play key boards, bass, flat top, clarinet, and flute, and am a vocalist. I have studied music theory extensively...enough to know that one who relies strictly on theory is not anything more than a theorist. And you might want to check your historical timeline on genre progression.

My musical background far, far outweighs yours, I can assure you. And I play key boards, bass, flat top, clarinet, and flute, and am a vocalist. I have studied music theory extensively...enough to know that one who relies strictly on theory is not anything more than a theorist. And you might want to check your historical timeline on genre progression.

clarinet? dammnnnn. Piano + Clarinet = it's as if God is singing to you

Piano was my first instrument; took up clarinet in the 4th grade. I am blessed to come from a very musical family. Both of my nephews are professionals.

Piano was my first instrument; took up clarinet in the 4th grade. I am blessed to come from a very musical family. Both of my nephews are professionals.

what do your nephews play?

what do your nephews play?

One plays keyboards and bass, and is a vocalist. The other plays percussion. The first has a daughter that is becoming quite proficient on the violin as we speak.

Damn, you should put some vids of you up online. I'm not that great of a musician. I can sight read enough to play pop songs on the go, but I have to memorize classical pieces. I wish I had more time for music...Damn school, takes all of my time. I should have majored in criminal justice or some other easy major.

Damn, you should put some vids of you up online. I'm not that great of a musician. I can sight read enough to play pop songs on the go, but I have to memorize classical pieces. I wish I had more time for music...Damn school, takes all of my time. I should have majored in criminal justice or some other easy major.

I certainly understand that. :lol:

I would show you guys pictures of my skin flute and human organ but some may find them offensive. :rofl: :laugh2:

The problem is that you incorrectly described what ragtime is about, not to mention Joplin's own history and his pianos. Music theory you say?

It's kind of funny since I, too, took music theory courses which was natural for me do so anyways, and I've been corresponding with a music professor ever since I met him during the Lionel Hampton Jazz festival that is held annually at the University of Idaho where I was a grad student there. Cool guy and learned a lot from him early on. He's on one of the piano forums that I regularly go to, an outgrowth from jumping from a bit.listserv music discussion to a more mature discussion forum. Always learning new things.

My first instrument was the piano and obviously I still play and do peformances. My second instrument was a violin starting at the 4th grade. Played only for a year. Realized it was a mistake back then that I quit but our family had to move, too. So, that was a factor. Taught myself to play the saxophone and was good enough to be in a middle school band. I was forced to quit because the saxophone had to be returned to a friend who wanted it back for some reason (not a musician). I also did drums and percussion (xylophone, snare, bass drum) for several years, participated in high school marching band competitions (way cool memory), symphonic band in middle school. My father was a coronet player. My brother played the trumphet in middle and high school. He also did the cello for a short while.

Currently, the only percussion instrument I actively play and progress upward is the piano by playing ragtime, novelty piano and early jazz pieces (e.g. Jelly Roll Morton's).

Or how it overlapped and progressed into novelty pianos, early jazz and even into the blues.
Music Timeline, 1904-1914

This is correct as I pointed out that there are overlaps on the timeline of how these early genres began and how they even influenced each other with varying degrees. The first ragtime song was by Tom Turpin back in 1897. Novelty piano is a close association with Jazz, so there is some overlaps there. As with any music genre it takes a while to establish root for it become a genre. Blues genre took root almost in the same period as jazz, again an overlapping. Novelty piano, ironically, was seen as mostly as a white man's invention with notables like Botsford or Confrey. What I've said about the timeline is correct. There are overlaps. Heck there is even a blues and ragtime component called Dixieland Jazz. All this occuring around the early 1900's within a 20 year or so time span of overlaps in an interesting period of music development and influence.

Though it'd be interesting to see Jillio produce a video of her playing the piano. A challenge? Certainly. No doubt it'd be turned down. Surprise us for a change.

The problem is that you incorrectly described what ragtime is about, not to mention Joplin's own history and his pianos. Music theory you say?

It's kind of funny since I, too, took music theory courses which was natural for me do so anyways, and I've been corresponding with a music professor ever since I met him during the Lionel Hampton Jazz festival that is held annually at the University of Idaho where I was a grad student there. Cool guy and learned a lot from him early on. He's on one of the piano forums that I regularly go to, an outgrowth from jumping from a bit.listserv music discussion to a more mature discussion forum. Always learning new things.

My first instrument was the piano and obviously I still play and do peformances. My second instrument was a violin starting at the 4th grade. Played only for a year. Realized it was a mistake back then that I quit but our family had to move, too. So, that was a factor. Taught myself to play the saxophone and was good enough to be in a middle school band. I was forced to quit because the saxophone had to be returned to a friend who wanted it back for some reason (not a musician). I also did drums and percussion (xylophone, snare, bass drum) for several years, participated in high school marching band competitions (way cool memory), symphonic band in middle school. My father was a coronet player. My brother played the trumphet in middle and high school. He also did the cello for a short while.

Currently, the only percussion instrument I actively play and progress upward is the piano by playing ragtime, novelty piano and early jazz pieces (e.g. Jelly Roll Morton's).

Music Timeline, 1904-1914

This is correct as I pointed out that there are overlaps on the timeline of how these early genres began and how they even influenced each other with varying degrees. The first ragtime song was by Tom Turpin back in 1897. Novelty piano is a close association with Jazz, so there is some overlaps there. As with any music genre it takes a while to establish root for it become a genre. Blues genre took root almost in the same period as jazz, again an overlapping. Novelty piano, ironically, was seen as mostly as a white man's invention with notables like Botsford or Confrey. What I've said about the timeline is correct. There are overlaps. Heck there is even a blues and ragtime component called Dixieland Jazz. All this occuring around the early 1900's within a 20 year or so time span of overlaps in an interesting period of music development and influence.

Though it'd be interesting to see Jillio produce a video of her playing the piano. A challenge? Certainly. No doubt it'd be turned down. Surprise us for a change.

:laugh2: Unlike some, I don't find it necessary to post vids of myself all over the net to try and garner affection and feed my ego. My audiences do it well enough for me, thanks.:D

due_capi.jpg

23288865_63374a187a.jpg

serpent.jpg

harmonic_generator2.jpg

gal00000455gr.jpg

My two cents...

I'm a classical saxophonist, but it would be awfully pretentious to call myself a jazz saxophonist. It's not just about the fingers. It's a totally different sound and style of playing. I've had enough jazz training to learn many of the subtleties that make up jazz, but I'm far from being able to reproduce all of them.

My classical training has given me enough technical proficiency to play, say, any Charlie Parker tune. While most casual observers and even purely classically trained musicians may not know the difference, a true jazz musician could easily tell I'm just a classical player trying to play jazz.

:laugh2: Unlike some, I don't find it necessary to post vids of myself all over the net to try and garner affection and feed my ego. My audiences do it well enough for me, thanks.:D

Not unexpected that you'd respond in that manner. That's your M.O.

What I do is called "inspiration" as a ragtime pianist for those who see for the first time a deaf/hh pianist belt out a ragtime piece with fervor and passion. This is only the beginning.

My Ragtime Piano! blog is an extension of my continued attempt to reach out to other deaf and hh musicians (and to anyone else who may not know that there are deaf/hh musicians out there), and would be young musicians in the piano category. My hope is come across another deaf or hh ragtime pianst someday.

I knew from the beginning that this would be a daunting task when I started this blog in May 2009 but I was realistic of the fact that I will come across people who wil deride me in what I do. I am no different from other well established ragtime pianists who do video-tape themselves and/or blog about it. What I do is called "reaching out" and at the same time help preserve the spirit and the calling of ragtime like all ragtime pianists and enthusiasts alike.

I don't expect you or others to understand what my intentions are. Nor do I expect you to understand my passion for ragtime, either. I have plans and moving out to Washington has helped immensely with my plans. Ragtime has been a passion of mine for over 30 years and I intend to continue with my chronicling in my blog, continue with the outreaching, expand my performances and video-taping. If you want to deride me for it, then that's fine. I expect these things to happen from people who pretend to be one thing but aren't.

Last edited:

I remember that when my sister first learned how to play the clarinet, it came out very screechy.

Back