Pics of Your Musical Instruments!!!

My point exactly. Wouldn't use a Stradivarius to play bluegrass either.:lol:

Wondering if there's a talented fool who did so.... :hmm:

I wouldn't play ragtime tune on grand piano. that's a :nono: but at home, I own an upright.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with playing ragtime on a grand piano. None at all. Where do you get the idea it's wrong to play on a grand piano ragtime scores? Even Dick Hyman played his ragtime pieces on it. So did Marvin Hamlisch. There are ragtime pianists who do play on their own personal grand pianos. There are ragtime festivals that host a grand piano. There are jazz and ragtim e pianists that play on grand pianos, even the 9 foot long Yamaha grand piano.

http://www.bala.net/museum/photos/hymanmuseumpage.pdf

I simply do not understand your logic why it's a "no no" to play ragtime on a grand piano. A grand piano isn't going to break under playing ragtime. There is no written rule (or even unwritten rule) in playing a piano that it must be reserved to play only classical music (exception may be when you want to play a classical piece).

Here's Dick Hyman playing on a 9ft Baldwin *concert* grand piano a 1922 piece called "Kitten on the Keys" (a novelty piano piece but it's also an early form of jazz with some ragtime influence)- an absolutely stunning performance!
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkKLL1ajxlY[/ame]

By the way, I play that piece but that not fast! At least not yet. LOL

In fact, there are a lot of ragtime scores that sound even better on grand pianos or even baby grands rather than uprights or somewhat badly tuned rinky dink pianos. There are ragtime pieces where it'd sound better playing on a "lesser quality" pianos or uprights because of the extra character it gives for that particular score. Certainly you wouldn't want to play classical music on a badly tuned piano because the score isn't supposed to sound like that but to be played on a better quality piano like grands yet it doesn't mean you can't play it on an upright either.

Last edited:
Perhaps because you have a concern for quality of sound. Most ragtime players have historically played on an old tinny sounding upright, not a baby grand.

Of course, that'd depend on what you meant by "historically" and what is this time period you speak of? But since you said "most ragtime players" I'd say you're talking about ragtime players of today, too? Ragtime players have played from tinny uprights, spinets, baby grand all the way up to concert grand pianos in both amateur and professional settings.

Here's Marty Mincer playing "Black and White Rag" on a baby grand piano which is a typical piano preferred by many ragtime pianists when performing today.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9x5E_9QkG-I]YouTube - Marty Mincer playing Black & White Rag[/ame]

Oh, and I already memorized Black and White Rag but Marty plays a little bit faster than I normally do. But I love this guy! A really cool ragtime artist.

ADDENDUM: Here's Marty competiting at the Old Time Piano Championship but on an old timey upright piano this time and have competed in this event several times. Yet he has gone on to paid venues on cruises, concerts and such. He is in every sense of the word a professional ragtime pianist and certainly NOT an amateur ragtime pianist.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6ZigC1fg6U[/ame]

Last edited:
semi-serious. I played for charity concerts and hospital, not competition - mostly sonatinas like Kuhlau. I dabbled in ragtime tunes like Maple Leaf Rag and some. Started playing piano at around 1st grade.

I have that yellow Kuhlau Sonatinas book myself. It's now a bit ratty with a few missing pages on the back. Played all those sonatinas back when I was a kid. I still play them today whenever I get to it. Still got my piano teacher's markings with the dates on each of the sonatina I completed.

Hey, now I can put your name on my blog as another deaf/hh pianist! Do you have a website or blog I can add a link to? What other ragtime pieces do you play besides Maple Leaf Rag. Playing rags are much more fun and quite challenging. There is a ragtime website that ranks the level of difficulty like Maple Leaf Rag is rate 3 out 5 in terms of difficulty.
Perfessor Bill Edwards - Sheet Music Cover Images I to L

I have that yellow Kuhlau Sonatinas book myself. It's now a bit ratty with a few missing pages on the back. Played all those sonatinas back when I was a kid. I still play them today whenever I get to it. Still got my piano teacher's markings with the dates on each of the sonatina I completed.

Hey, now I can put your name on my blog as another deaf/hh pianist! Do you have a website or blog I can add a link to? What other ragtime pieces do you play besides Maple Leaf Rag. Playing rags are much more fun and quite challenging. There is a ragtime website that ranks the level of difficulty like Maple Leaf Rag is rate 3 out 5 in terms of difficulty.
Perfessor Bill Edwards - Sheet Music Cover Images I to L

Maple Leaf Rag was 3 out of 5 in terms of difficulty!? interesting. it wasn't that difficult.

and yes sure you can use me on your blog (as long as it's not on fox news :o ). I do not have blog. I'm not much of a writer.

i'm trying to remember any other popular ragtime pieces but i can't think of any on top of my head... probably cuz I just woke up now. can you list me few names?

Are you still taking lessons or have a teacher you meet or you just do your own thing nowadays?

Did you see Hyman play Kitten on the Keys? That has a rating of 3 out 5 on the difficulty scale. Should be more like 3 1/2. I've seen 4's and that's challenging! A 4.5 would almost be like Jelly Roll Morton's piece "Finger Breaker." I'm afraid to look at a 5 rating five rating piece. The technicals and speed are what drives the rating up.

Maple Leaf Rag was 3 out of 5 in terms of difficulty!? interesting. it wasn't that difficult.

and yes sure you can use me on your blog (as long as it's not on fox news :o ). I do not have blog. I'm not much of a writer.

i'm trying to remember any other popular ragtime pieces but i can't think of any on top of my head... probably cuz I just woke up now. can you list me few names?

Hey, can you record Maple Leaf and send it to me? I am going to do another Maple Leaf this time on my new piano. My last vid was on an old and crappy piano though it had an interesting flavor when I played it.

I recently got the Korg M3 and MXL V69 mic. I got rid of my Korg radias. I just wasn't digging the sounds. I hope that I am able to get a virus ti one day.

IMG_0674.jpg

IMG_0647.jpg

IMG_0650.jpg

IMG_0654.jpg

IMG_0662.jpg

IMG_0665.jpg

IMG_0666.jpg

IMG_0676.jpg

Hey, can you record Maple Leaf and send it to me? I am going to do another Maple Leaf this time on my new piano. My last vid was on an old and crappy piano though it had an interesting flavor when I played it.

oooooooo boy. I haven't played piano in a long while. I'll see what I can do :cool2:

Are you still taking lessons or have a teacher you meet or you just do your own thing nowadays?

Did you see Hyman play Kitten on the Keys? That has a rating of 3 out 5 on the difficulty scale. Should be more like 3 1/2. I've seen 4's and that's challenging! A 4.5 would almost be like Jelly Roll Morton's piece "Finger Breaker." I'm afraid to look at a 5 rating five rating piece. The technicals and speed are what drives the rating up.

I'm no longer playing piano but I do dabble on it once in a while. I stopped playing about a decade ago.

Missed your last sentence.

Well, there's

Antionette (1906)
Augustan Club Waltz (1901)
Bethena (1905)
Binks' Waltz (1905)
A Breeze From Alabama (1902)
Cascades (1904)
The Chrysanthemum (1904)
Cleopha (1902)
Combination March (1896)
Country Club (1909)
The [Great] Crush Collision March (1896)
The Easy Winners (1901)
Elite Syncopations (1902)
The Entertainer (1902)
Eugenia (1906)
Euphonic Sounds (1909)
The Favorite (1904)
Felicity Rag (1911)
Fig Leaf Rag (1908)
Gladiolus Rag (1907)
Harmony Club Waltz (1896)
Heliotrope Bouquet (1907)
I Am Thinking of My Pickanniny Days (1902)
Kismet Rag (1913)
Leola (1905)
Lily Queen (1907)
Little Black Baby (1903)
Magnetic Rag (1914)
Maple Leaf Rag (1899)
March Majestic (1902)
The Nonpareil (1907)
Original Rags (1899)
Palm Leaf Rag (1903)
Paragon Rag (1909)
Peacherine Rag (1901)
A Picture of Her Face (1895)
Pine Apple Rag (1908)
Pleasent Moments (1909)
Please Say You Will (1895)
The Ragtime Dance (1902)
Reflection Rag (1917)
The Rose-bud March (1905)
Rose Leaf Rag (1907)
Sarah Dear (1905)
School of Ragtime (1908)
Searchlight Rag (1907)
Silver Swan Rag (1971)
Solace (1909)
Something Doing (1903)
Stoptime Rag (1910)
The Strenuous Life (1902)
Sugar Cane (1908)
Sunflower Slow Drag (1901)
Swipsey (1900)
The Sycamore (1904)
Treemonisha (1911)
Wall Street Rag (1909)
Weeping Willow (1903)

hhhmmmmm...... from that list, the only name I recognize is Maple Leaf Rag but as for rest of it - I don't know any. I'm bad at remembering names but I'll probably know it when I hear it. when I get home tonite, I'll have to dig into my box and see what pieces I have.

hhhmmmmm...... from that list, the only name I recognize is Maple Leaf Rag but as for rest of it - I don't know any. I'm bad at remembering names but I'll probably know it when I hear it. when I get home tonite, I'll have to dig into my box and see what pieces I have.

Is it in one of those bounded ragtime music book or a separate music sheet? If so, what's the name of it (book)? Can you get a picture of it (Maple Leaf Rag)?

Ok. Sounds like you're the classical music kind of guy? any favorite piece?

Is it in one of those bounded ragtime music book or a separate music sheet? If so, what's the name of it (book)? Can you get a picture of it (Maple Leaf Rag)?
separate

Ok. Sounds like you're the classical music kind of guy? any favorite piece?
Mozart, Bach, and bunch of separate music sheet. I'm trying to remember the name of this bounded classical music book :scratch:

There is absolutely nothing wrong with playing ragtime on a grand piano. None at all. Where do you get the idea it's wrong to play on a grand piano ragtime scores? Even Dick Hyman played his ragtime pieces on it. So did Marvin Hamlisch. There are ragtime pianists who do play on their own personal grand pianos. There are ragtime festivals that host a grand piano. There are jazz and ragtim e pianists that play on grand pianos, even the 9 foot long Yamaha grand piano.

http://www.bala.net/museum/photos/hymanmuseumpage.pdf

I simply do not understand your logic why it's a "no no" to play ragtime on a grand piano. A grand piano isn't going to break under playing ragtime. There is no written rule (or even unwritten rule) in playing a piano that it must be reserved to play only classical music (exception may be when you want to play a classical piece).

Here's Dick Hyman playing on a 9ft Baldwin *concert* grand piano a 1922 piece called "Kitten on the Keys" (a novelty piano piece but it's also an early form of jazz with some ragtime influence)- an absolutely stunning performance!
YouTube - Kitten on the Keys - Dick Hyman

By the way, I play that piece but that not fast! At least not yet. LOL

In fact, there are a lot of ragtime scores that sound even better on grand pianos or even baby grands rather than uprights or somewhat badly tuned rinky dink pianos. There are ragtime pieces where it'd sound better playing on a "lesser quality" pianos or uprights because of the extra character it gives for that particular score. Certainly you wouldn't want to play classical music on a badly tuned piano because the score isn't supposed to sound like that but to be played on a better quality piano like grands yet it doesn't mean you can't play it on an upright either.

Most any piece of any genre would sound better on a well tuned grand than on an upright. They produce entirely different timbres. The point is, a part of the ragtime genre is the tinniness in the timbre, and it is written to achieve that thiness in sound not just through note and chord progression and combination, but also through the instrument on which it was historically played. Its why Segovia doesn't use an electric guitar and amp to produce his classical guitar music.

those of you who likes jazz, MUST see the film "The Legend of 1900" its a real gem

Yet that does not preclude nor prohibit playing of ragtime on a grand piano in any shape or form.

Understand that the style of ragtime is characterized by the syncopated rhythm, not the sound of the instruments, that gave its genre. Ragtime is also called "ragged-time." The "tinniness" was the result of upright pianos or player pianos being out of tune. You'd think a brand new piano would sound "tinny"? No. Tuning a piano was expensive and pianos were allowed to go out of tune over time.

Since Scott Joplin is the king of ragtime he also composed such well known works like “The Entertainer," "Elite Syncopations," "A Guest of Honor" and several more songs on a grand piano that was in his home. There's even a replica of it at the Joplin's house. Ragtime is about the syncopated rhythm of the music . Also, realize the fact that many other composers composed their ragtime music on their grand pianos back then, too. Which one would Scott Joplin choose between a honky-tonk, upright saloon piano or a 9-foot Steinway grand? And so by playing ragtime it may sound like that only because a piano happened to be out of tune. And by that extension gives it that "old timey" feel. That's only a part of ragtime but that's not what ragtime is all about (i.e. genre) but the syncopated music instead.

Yet that does not preclude nor prohibit playing of ragtime on a grand piano in any shape or form.

Understand that the style of ragtime is characterized by the syncopated rhythm, not the sound of the instruments, that gave its genre. Ragtime is also called "ragged-time." The "tinniness" was the result of upright pianos or player pianos being out of tune. You'd think a brand new piano would sound "tinny"? No. Tuning a piano was expensive and pianos were allowed to go out of tune over time.

Since Scott Joplin is the king of ragtime he also composed such well known works like “The Entertainer," "Elite Syncopations," "A Guest of Honor" and several more songs on a grand piano that was in his home. There's even a replica of it at the Joplin's house. Ragtime is about the syncopated rhythm of the music . Also, realize the fact that many other composers composed their ragtime music on their grand pianos back then, too. Which one would Scott Joplin choose between a honky-tonk, upright saloon piano or a 9-foot Steinway grand? And so by playing ragtime it may sound like that only because a piano happened to be out of tune. And by that extension gives it that "old timey" feel. That's only a part of ragtime but that's not what ragtime is all about (i.e. genre) but the syncopated music instead.

Perhaps you fail to understand that the recognizable sound achieved in ragtime is indeed through, as I stated previously, chord progression and note combination, as well as the instrument on which it was histroically played is as much a part of the genre as is the syncopated rhythm because you are relying more on your eyes than your ears in reading the score.

You'll have to ask Scott Joplin what he would choose, but history tells that he played on an upright.

And, not all ragtime is syncopated. Much is, but not all. Likewise, many, many other genres employ a syncopated rhythm. It is not peculiar to ragtime.

Back