Parents of children who are implanted --

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used to live in dorm for 7 years. I didn't like it. Because I lived far away from my parent's. It's hard to see each other and only see them in the weekend. I had to go back dorm back and fourth. After my dad passed away. In one half year later my mom decided to live near to my school because she don't have to drive back and fourth when I was sick. I quit live in dorm when I was junior and senior years. I rather to be home after school because the kids stole my stuff when I live in dorm. The lesbian girl touched my butt and breasts. The kids begged to borrow my money. I told them to owe me back. They never pay back and not trust them anymore. They bothered me for money. In my mind said I don't have money. I lied to them. Because I didn't trust them.

I dislike dorm's rules. Because my staff took my vitamin supplements to health center. They never give me the vitamin supplements what I need. The staff didn't allow me to drink coffee with caffeine for morning when I was 18. The students can drink pop with caffeine instead tea and coffee. That is so ridiculous!

If I have a deaf child and not want my child live in dorm because of dirty, bacteria, germs, and spread the flu. And I knew kids could steal my child's value stuff like what I had done in past. I don't want my child beside me.

My husband and I both agree to get my child a cochlear implant if we have deaf child. I don't want my kid to live in dorm.

Is your child go to deaf school and live in dorm? I just wonder.

Umm..I got stuff stolen from me by the bullies at the public schools during the day. It happens everywhere..kids steal things from other kids. My daughter's iPod was stolen from her backpack when she put it down in the cafeteria. Kids need to watch and be responsible for their own stuff not the staff.

As for vitamins..it is against policies for unlicensed staff to administer any meds or vitamins to the students. The nurses are responsible for that.

As for coffee, maybe your mom didnt give permission to allow you to have coffee. Dorm staff arent allowed to give children coffee without parental permission.

Umm..I got stuff stolen from me by the bullies at the public schools during the day. It happens everywhere..kids steal things from other kids. My daughter's iPod was stolen from her backpack when she put it down in the cafeteria. Kids need to watch and be responsible for their own stuff not the staff.

As for vitamins..it is against policies for unlicensed staff to administer any meds or vitamins to the students. The nurses are responsible for that.

As for coffee, maybe your mom didnt give permission to allow you to have coffee. Dorm staff arent allowed to give children coffee without parental permission.

My mom was permit me to drink when I was 16. But still staff didn't allowed me. It's dorm's rules. That is suck. I didn't understand why they allowed students drink pops with caffeine. Don't make any sense to me.

The black boy stole my gameboy when I put in my backpack. I never tell him about I have my own. He stole and destroyed it. And my ex date stole my TI-82 calculator for algebra at resource center. He tossed it on the ground. My friend found it and keep it. She never gave it back to me. The most girls stole my cool clothes.

Those things you mentioned, Pinky, I experienced the same thing in my semi-populated middle and high school. people used to made fun of me, and then sexually harassed me because they thought it was funny. Hearing people.

But I do like being around my family.

Those things you mentioned, Pinky, I experienced the same thing in my semi-populated middle and high school. people used to made fun of me, and then sexually harassed me because they thought it was funny. Hearing people.

Yeah. Deaf, hoh and hearing kids are the same. They picked on me when I was in elementary school. I was transfer to deaf school. Deaf and hoh kids were mean! They always use cuss words a lot. The most deaf boys always think of sex and want to touch my privates. They took it advantage of me. That is why I like to be home with my family than live in dorm.

If i have deaf child and will not let my child to stay at dorm. I want to put my deaf child to mainstream school because of education. The deaf adult people can't tell me and my husband to do. It's our choice to do best for child's school.

If I had a deaf child I would either do a mainstream school with good deaf program or a deaf school but not boarding I would just relocate. I would want the best education for my future child(ren) but at the same time I would want them to have as much communication available so ASL and Spoken English

If I had a deaf child I would either do a mainstream school with good deaf program or a deaf school but not boarding I would just relocate. I would want the best education for my future child(ren) but at the same time I would want them to have as much communication available so ASL and Spoken English

Same here.

Well in that case, it sounds like an excellent dhh formal program.
Is it an established one? (one that has been around for years?) I do think that an established sizable formal dhh program can be almost as good as a Deaf School.
People in this thread need to realize that dhh formal programs can REALLY vary in quality.
I have to say I disagree with just putting a kid in a classroom with a 'terp. (unless of course it's a part time thing/for only one or two classes)
One thing that might improve the quality of mainstream programs is affliating them with the School for the Deaf. The Deaf School is a natural "central clearing house of dhh resources and opertunties" That way the dhh formal programs could be administered under the ageis of the deaf school, and the deaf school could use a psychologist who is experianced in evaluting dhh kids, and make sure that the dhh program is on a par with good dhh edcuation.
I agree with you 100% People should not generalize that all dhh programs are bad. I am not sure how long the program has been in place but I know it is the second largest and has been rated best in state in previous years and that rating came from the deaf community. So while I can't be positive of anything yet, all indications are that it is a good program for him.

:confused:

What do you mean by that? Of course deaf people are just as capable as hearing people to become qualified teachers. I hold a highly qualified teaching certificate.

IMO, deaf people are usually more qualified than hearing people (unless the hearing person is a CODA) to teach deaf children because we understand their needs and most likely to do not teach from a "medical" or pathological point of view. My friend who is hearing and not a coda even told me that she feels unsure of herself on how to really meet deaf children's needs so she is always asking us, deafies, for input when she is unsure. Of course, she gets feedback right away.
I never said nor implied that deaf people are not as capable of hearing people to become qualified as teachers. It always amazes me how people read things into comments and choose to read in negative instead of positive. As I mentioned in subsequent posts it was for clearification. I don't know the laws but if the laws throughout the land are that teachers (deaf and hearing) need to have certian credentials to become a teacher then that is great and I have learned something. I just don't appreciate when people twist things around and turn something that was said for clearification into something negative.

And for the record I agree that a qualified deaf teacher would be preferable to teach deaf students. The problem is that hearsay from other threads is that deaf teachers don't get hired that much

So is your qualification for a teacher is that they use spoken English?

I'm just trying to figure out why you brought up qualification. They would not just hire anyone, it's common sense for teacher to be certified. Maybe you are thinking about something else.

There is alot of discussion about social-emotional growth for deaf children (hearing kids need it too) and to make sure that is attended to. Language is key to that end but so is family. If you decide to send your child to a residential program then it falls on the teachers and support staff to ensure that social-emotional needs are attended to. As a parent, attending to those needs comes naturally and my child's interest is at the top of my priority list. It is another reason I would prefer to have my child home every night.

That's what all parents say. They feel they are attending their children's emotional needs but language barrier set them a world apart. But I know you are doing your best, I'm just speaking to the general public

That's what all parents say.
I would not know that for sure. I can't speak for all parents. I know for a fact that some parents of deaf kids I know treat their deaf child much differently than I. For example they are not even willing to learn to sign.

That's what all parents say. They feel they are attending their children's emotional needs but language barrier set them a world apart. But I know you are doing your best, I'm just speaking to the general public
I am by no means an expert but from what I understand you can't attend to social emotional needs without language and communication.

So is your qualification for a teacher is that they use spoken English?

I'm just trying to figure out why you brought up qualification. They would not just hire anyone, it's common sense for teacher to be certified. Maybe you are thinking about something else.
The only reason I brought it up was for clearification as I have mentioned several times. I am not an expert and I don't know what would qualify someone to teach deaf kids. I said nothing about spoken English.

Pinky,
Just as with everything dorm experiances vary a lot.
Some kids really love the dorm experiance. And I know some schools have "Independant Living" experiances (for just dhh kids to experiance living on their own)
I don't believe in sending off little kids to the dorm....but I do think it should be an option.
Poor kids or kids from families that aren't that stable might really thrive in a dorm setting.
If I have kids the option to send them to the dorm will always be an option. I remember how awful jr high and high school was. I still shudder thinking about how awful that was.
I do think that a dorm living situion can be awesome. I know kids who did it in jr high and high school and LOVED it and thrived there.

I notice it is always the poeple who never were in these programs who think they were so great.

Whether I lose friends or not, I spent three years and it was awful. Everything Pinky said and worse.

I notice it is always the poeple who never were in these programs who think they were so great.

Whether I lose friends or not, I spent three years and it was awful. Everything Pinky said and worse.
Thanks for being honest.

Heh. Dorm drama. I enjoyed the dorms a lot more than I enjoyed mainstreamed schools, living with parents and living by myself post-university, even at a Deaf school AND in college.

I had worse roommates than dormmates. :\

Funny, it is only the people here on AD who were dorm students that hated it but out there in the Deaf community I heard so many wonderful stories about their childhood in the dorms. I guess it depends on each individual's personalities and how the dorms are run. If the dorms are poorly run and the child doesn't have the personality for living in the dorms, I guess it would be a recipe for siaster for those children. It wasn't until I came to AD was when I started hearing complaints about living in the dorms.

Funny, it is only the people here on AD who were dorm students that hated it but out there in the Deaf community I heard so many wonderful stories about their childhood in the dorms. I guess it depends on each individual's personalities and how the dorms are run. If the dorms are poorly run and the child doesn't have the personality for living in the dorms, I guess it would be a recipe for siaster for those children. It wasn't until I came to AD was when I started hearing complaints about living in the dorms.

I liked the dorms.

Yes. I am puzzled about it. During my college years, some of them who happen to be my friends and they were telling endless a lot of fun stories about their experiences of living in dorms in their teen years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back